So…it starts today: my 8 week (at least) diary

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Happy new year all! There is a new book out by Gary Taubes — “The Case Against Sugar”. Just published.
    For those of you who are working on reducing your simple carbohydrate intake (including flour, potatoes, corn, rice, agave, syrup, pasta), Gary Taubes’ books (he also wrote “Why We Get Fat”) are the very best explanations of how carbohydrates trigger obesity and diabetes. They are also “good reads” and interesting — not boring, not dry.
    I HIGHLY recommend them for an intellectual understanding of how critical it is to control your simple-carbohydrate intake. (A critical step)
    I also like his first book “Good Calories Bad Calories” which is a bit of a doorstop (thick) but fascinating history of how we got to the point where health authorities were recommending so much carbohydrate and why they are wrong.

• posted by Flash21
    on

Hi Californiagirl – thanks for the recommendation. There’s a review of this book on the Guardian app today so will read it and consider getting the book.

Right now on Channel 4 there’s a programme called Food Unwrapped which is focusing on the importance of eating more fat and talking about all the types of foods/meals we are used to here! They are with someone called Dr Unwin, who I think follows the same science as Dr Mosely and he’s showing some of his patients who’ve lost a significant amount of weight on a BSD style plan.

• posted by Sumo
    on

Today I start the 8 weeks program again.
    Not a fantastic end to 2016 I was ill end of Nov through to almost Xmas with a chest infection and just let things slip, I have gained a whopping 14lb but I resolve that this is the lightest I have been at the New Year point in many years.

My starting was 26s 1lb now 24s 1lb but now I feel so bloated; hopefully a bit of fluid retention, once eased should relieve the bloating?

• posted by Flash21
    on

Hey Sumo,

Welcome to your restart! Sorry to hear you’ve been unwell. That must have been rotten, especially over Christmas. Still, you have a 2 stone loss under your belt so you know you can do it! Weirdly, with fluid retention, the more you drink, the more it eases, even though that seems counterintuitive. I find peppermint tea really soothing for this.

• posted by Flash21
    on

Hello folks,

How are we all doing? Seems a bit quiet here at the mo!

I have been quite organised with food prep so have managed to bring my breakfast and lunch into work for a couple of days now. I hope this will last! Keep forgetting to do my food diary though, so need to get on with that. For those of you who do packed lunches, what do you typically have? I’m after some ideas so that I don’t get bored! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Sumo
    on

Hi Flash

I normally vary my lunch around salad (Mediterranean style food) my salads are all varieties of green leaf, peppers, tomatoes, cucumber, carrot, beetroot etc. I vary what is there to change the flavour and appearance; I then add meat or cheese, so even though it is salad based it changes every day, I also have a plate at work and put my lunch on it, I find the visual effect of a bowl of salad on a plate helps, as it looks a lot more than it seems in a bowl?

• posted by Baristagirls
    on

I am always too tired to bother with a fancy packed lunch when I get home from work and keep it as easy as possible. Today is salami slices, yoghurt and blue cheese. Other days can include cream cheese peanut butter dip, soup, babybels, nuts etc

• posted by Flash21
    on

Hey Baristagirls! How the devil are you? ๐Ÿ™‚

Yes, I am often too tired to bother but am trying to combat this by preparing the next day’s food as soon as I’ve unpacked and washed up my lunch box when I get in. Then it’s one job done and I don’t have to scrabble around for something when I realise I’ve fallen asleep on the sofa and really just want to go to bed! I like the salami and blue cheese combo.

Sumo – your salads sound delicious. I usually have good intentions with green leaves and other items but a lot of times by the time I get round to eating it they seem to have gone all limp and look particularly unappetising! Definitely agree that putting a bowl of salad on a plate looks like a lot of food!

• posted by Baristagirls
    on

Hello Flash21……. ditto there. Get the lunch packed as soon as possible ๐Ÿ™‚
    Some other ideas are:
    tuna mayo or tuna with cream!
    tinned salmon with mayo
    beetroot salad
    50g hummus

note the lack of vegetables sticks but feel free to add them! I have to choose stuff that agrees with my digestive system……………

On a less organised day why not buy a subway salad.

• posted by Flash21
    on

Hello all – or at least anyone who’s still here on this thread!

Reporting back in after a couple of off weeks where I’ve not been focusing on BSD stuff at all. As such I’ve also seen yet another weight gain so now realise I have to not only get back on the wagon but stay there. Said it all before, of course, but maybe this time it will stick? I’m re-reading the book and am now on the “sorting out your head” chapter, which seems apt and timely for where I am right now! I also need to do a big shop and stock up on some BSD-friendly supplies so it feels like this is a good time to do some meal planning and thinking ahead.

How’s everyone else getting on? Inspire me please with your thoughts, progress, ideas – anything!

• posted by Sumo
    on

Flash same here book is out for a re-read, let things slip from being ill last Nov gained a stone, good thing last 2 weeks recovered that now to focus on why I want to do this for Me and no one else.

Happy losers are happy people

• posted by Thisisit
    on

Hey guys, it’s been a slow re start to new year. Have found it hard to get back on the case.
    Realising that I’ve not been looking/posting on the forums for a few weeks hasn’t helped.
    So announcing my commitment to another eight week BSD to shift another stone :), (including my Christmas gain ๐Ÿ™ ).
    Glad to see your all still here for support.
    Will let you know how this week goes ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Thisisit
    on

Dropped 7lb week one, so feeling pleased. Need to drop another 3lb to bring my weight back to where it was before xmas…
    How’s everyone else doing?

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Sounds like you have got the restart properly in hand now, Thisisit. Hope you see a positive result at the end of the week. I managed not to gain too much over the festive season, so was able to despatch the extra quickly and am now working on getting on with losing the rest of the weight to get me to the ultimate goal – 6lb to go in all. Let us know how you get on at the next weigh-in – good luck.

• posted by Sumo
    on

Back on the 8 weeks starting properly today, pain in knees as re-focused my attention

Please log in or register to post a reply.