So hungry

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Grammie
    on

Ending week one and today I am so hungry. Wishing it was bedtime. How to hunger — any suggestions. I’ve been trying to keep at 800.

• posted by Erosco67
    on

Whenever I start to feel hungry (not around bedtime) – I drink a whole glass of water.. within a few mins the feeling subsides.

Are you drinking your 8 glasses of water a day?

Cheers

• posted by Switzerland
    on

Hi Grammie,
    There is hope……you can stick to 800 calories/day and be satiated. Look at what you’ve been eating – have you been eating sufficient healthy fats? Sometimes one teaspoon of full fat natural yoghurt or 30g cheese is enough if you are genuinely really hungry. Others have posted that a glass of warm water, sipped slowly will do the trick (excellent as it is calorie free).
    The great thing is that you’re at the end of week 1 – look at what you’ve achieved.

(I have to say this because it works for me). Have you tried mindfulness meditation. Becoming aware of why we want to eat can be valuable if you’re an emotional eater.

At times the BSD journey can be tricky but myself and many others have found if you persevere the rewards far outweigh the hard work.

Best wishes for your journey.

• posted by orchid
    on

Hi Grammie,
    The end of week one -well done! I agree with Switzerland – have a look at what you have been eating. The BSD book says do not get too hung up on 800 as some days it will be 750, others 850 and it evens out over the 8 weeks.

What I found to be more important was the amount of carbs and fats in by diet. When I started I used premade shakes for 3 meals a day – they have skimmed milk added to them. I was hungry a lot and it was only that I noticed I was losing weight (no more than I would have expected from a ‘normal’ calorie restriction), but I was losing the weight disproportionately from my bust and hips and less from my waist, that I checked the carbs in the shakes and they were very high in carbs and low fat as I was using skimmed milk. I was taking in 90-120g carbs per day so not getting rid of the fat around my middle.

Once I moved to full fat yogurt, dropped the shakes and started cooking from scratch – the weight shifted at around 2kg a week thereafter plus the cms started coming off of my waist and I now am back to a normal shape.
    Personally I found 60g carbs per day works for me – I am veggie so it is hard to get below that and still get enough protein. Most people are going for 50g per day or lower – you need to find out for yourself what works for you. Too low and you may well get cramps. This diet focusses on low carbs and high fat to get the calories you need and full fat keeps you feeling full.

Other tips – allow 50 calories a day for things to nibble on – a few nuts, cherry tomatoes, celery sticks, small pieces of cheese or adding milk to coffee of tea makes the coffee and tea more filling. Having them around when you get a hunger pang stops the need to raid the fridge and for me, stops me bring forward by an hour my next meal!

MIndfulness also helped me – see the mindfulness forum for ideas.

Good luck – it gets easier week on week will by week 3 or 4 you forget that you are eating very little and it is the norm and satisfying.

• posted by Grammie
    on

Thank you

• posted by Izzy
    on

I’ve been surprised at how much I find myself eating and still being within my boundaries. Keep experimenting with different foods and vegetables, adding seasonings etc to spice things up. Courgetti and cauliflower rice have been welcome additions for many of my meals 🙂

I didn’t have time for my lunch the other day and I didn’t get hungry so it’s true you do get used to eating less and notice much less.

Please log in or register to post a reply.