Shanshu's 2018 Check In Thread

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Shanshu
    on

So today was good and bad. I was just going to say I was bad… but that’s depressing so I’m going to try to find the positives too.

Bad: What I ate (too many calories) and what I drank (not enough water)

Good: I stuck to BSD food choices – grilled chicken and salad for lunch, grilled steak for tea. Also even though I had spent the afternoon eating bits and pieces (for no reason other than bog standard pigletry), it was things like cheese, meat and olives. I have resisted buying any chocolate – which is no mean feat considering how much I love Easter egg chocolate.

And it’s been so very cold – on both trips outside I feel like my hands were turning to ice despite wearing two sets of gloves.

Haven’t really been able to log food today but I’m going to guess that …

Calories: 1500 maybe, perhaps more … hard to judge.
    Carbs: hopefully less than 50g
    Steps: 10K
    Water: Not enough and I can tell because lack of BM. Really need to change that

• posted by Shanshu
    on

Hmmm I’m posting very tipsy which tells you how well today has gone. Went down to Wetherspoons because it was right by the harbour wall (and the storm was magnificent to watch) plus there was unlimited coffee refills for my OH whilst he birdwatched and I worked.

Food choices were therefore calorific but low in carb wherever possible. Not being able to cook my own veg heavy meals and living on a diet of inexpensive meat is having a toll on my digestive system. I may need to go to the chemist at this rate – I feel badly bloated. 🙁
    Which I exasperated by having a mixed donee kebab. Right now I hate myself.

Anyway I’m still checking in despite not being a good girl. Again.

Calories: oh loads. Mountains. Great big fatty acres of the stuff
    Carbs: Gonna guess really low – maybe 10g. Mainly eaten meat today – just ridiculous amounts of it.
    Steps: 11K
    Water: At lease is 1.5k so getting better but not better enough.

Right I’m off to bed – me and my hangover will check in with you all in the morning.

• posted by Gattina
    on

Hi Shansu hopefully the walking will cancel out the calories. Keep going… I hope the hangovers not too bad 😀

• posted by marie123
    on

Hi Shanshu – how’s the head?

• posted by Shanshu
    on

Hi Gattina and Marie123 – head is fine. I drank loads of water before going to bed and whenever I woke up so I think being mega hydrated has kept the hangover at bay. I’ll see how I am in the afternoon as it may yet hit.

I’ve decided not to beat myself up to much – I’ve kind of been treating these last few days like a holiday (and I am away from home) and maybe I just really needed a break – I just have to accept that I need to get everything back under control on Monday and that there will be a depressing weight climb but that it will go again if I get back on track. Still plan to walk lots to help counteract the bad behaviour.

• posted by marie123
    on

Sounds like a good plan Shanshu. Glad you’re not beating yourself up too much. Btw, the view from the harbour sounded great. Enjoy the rest of the weekend and get home safe.

• posted by Shanshu
    on

Another day of naughtiness – however, at least by coming here I’m owning it and not putting me head in the sand. This was a bad carb day. I was naughty at lunch time – tempted by a Nutella pastry – although I only ate half of the tiny thing. But then this evening, every restaurant was full (we didn’t realise we’d need to book). Only place we could get served was a pizza place so I broke and had pizza.

And now I don’t feel well at all. So it really wasn’t worth it.

Calories – don’t know but lots
    Carbs – lots 🙁
    Steps – 13K
    Water – 2L

• posted by Shanshu
    on

Today was a little calorie-heavy – again I succumbed to picking at cheese even though I wasn’t hungry. However I did well on the carb front.

Last week my OH bought me this wooden weight loss board with two chalkboard hearts on it – one days lbs lost this week, the other says lbs lost so far. It was only a quid from Poundland (should anyone else be interested) but I’ve hung it in my room and it’s currently saying:

0 lbs this week (my week starts on Tues in line with the 4 week challenge)
    37.2 lbs so far (that’s going back to my original high at the beginning of 2017 before I started BSD the first time)

I’m hoping it will be a great motivator. Ideally I should have it on my fridge but that isn’t possible as I currently live in a shared house so it’s not just my fridge.

Anyway today’s stats:
    Calories: About 1100ish. Best guess as I didn’t count all the cheese
    Carbs: 19g
    Steps: Just over 8000
    Water: at least 2L

I’ve planned out all of tomorrow’s food (and prepped most of it). I’m actually going out for a celebratory drink with some work colleagues tomorrow night so I shall have a glass of white wine. I’ve actually saved enough calories for a small glass although I may go over and have two. Depends who’s buying!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Cheese is a devil isn’t it? Have to admit it’s a bigger danger to me than chocolate. Have been working on not using it as a go to snack, as the temptation is too great for me to have, ‘just a tiny bit more’, without accounting for it. Love the idea of the chalk board, I’m sure having that in constant sight will be very motivating. Enjoy your social event tomorrow evening, Shanshu.

• posted by Shanshu
    on

Back to trying to track stuff… after a month of on/off diet days and far too many carbs in between.

Today wasn’t quite the all-or-nothing return I was planning as I was super hungry all day and snacked more than I do when I’m in the 800 zone. Snacks were seaweed sheets with a thin line of cream cheese and chicken consommé which is a massive improvement to pork pies and chocolate eggs.

Tea was salmon fillet with a fermented mushroom/anchovy/seaweed topping that my housemate brought back from Japan which I’m hoping doesn’t have added sugar. It doesn’t taste like it.

Didn’t walk as much as I should but much better than most working from home days.

Calories: 1100
    Carbs: 15g
    Steps: 6000
    Water: 1.5L

• posted by Marcassin
    on

I expect you know that it was eating the pork pie etc that made uou hungry yesterday. As soon as you get the carbs out of your system it will get easy to get back in the zone.It’s not you lacking in will power, it’s the carbs sending messages to your brain (via leptin and ghrelin and all the other lins). Starve them into submission!

• posted by Shanshu
    on

Marcassin – yeah, a few more carb free days and I won’t be hungry anymore. Just got to keep going.

• posted by Shanshu
    on

Today has been difficult for non-diet reasons. Started well – made a BSD Fry-Up Brunch which was basically scrambled eggs with seaweed, mushrooms, courgettes and Chinese-marinaded herring roe. Then I went for a long brisk walk.

I also had a lovely BSD meal of redfish planned for this evening and then everything went to pot due to life stress. The end result is I have just snacked on some ham and missed my evening meal altogether.

Hopefully tomorrow things will be less stressy.

Calories: 758
    Carbs: 15g
    Steps: 12000

Need to do better on the water front.

• posted by Shanshu
    on

Ooh I missed yesterday. Well I was good then and good today on everything bar walking. I have a bad cold and spent today in bed.

It’s starting to show in my face again which is good.

• posted by Shanshu
    on

Well I feel awful thanks to this cold and haven’t really left my bed so my step count is definitely less than 1000. On the plus side – I really haven’t felt like eating at all and am too ill to go out and get supplies so I definitely haven’t been naughty today.

Calories: 760
    Carbs: 17g
    Water: 2L

• posted by alliecat
    on

Shanshu, I’m sorry that poor health has left you temporarily side-lined, and hope that you’ll be feeling better soon.
    We all do this one day at a time, until we reach our goals….and your stats for the day look excellent. Don’t
    feel stressed over the fact that you can’t exercise. I wasn’t able to exercise at all due to chronic fatigue
    syndrome and a chronic pain condition, for 9 of the 10 months that it took me to lose 50% of my body weight.
    This disability had no effect on my monthly loss of a stone a month. You’re doing great with your carb
    totals today, so consider it a WIN! 🙂 Those have more effect on your rate of loss than going a bit over
    on 800 cal. a day. Congratulate yourself for not comfort eating, today!

Best,

Allie

• posted by Shanshu
    on

Thanks Allie – and for sharing about the exercise. It makes me feel a lot better.

Yesterday I was very good as well in terms of calories (less than 800), Carbs (20g) and Water – 2.25L. Steps were non-existent again but I woke up to further loss so I can see that it’s the low carbs driving it.

Still feeling rubbish – sore throat and blocked nose. Was hoping I would be feeling a lot better by now. Still I haven’t resorted to comfort eating so that’s the main thing.

• posted by Shanshu
    on

Keeping on track pretty much – just went a little high with the calories. Managed to make it out of the house but only because I desperately needed to get to the chemist. Absolutely exhausted me.

Had roast duck breast for tea so that was pleasing. Although given my cold the taste was probably wasted on me! Should have drunk more water though.

Calories: 850
    Carbs: 20g
    Steps: 6500

• posted by alliecat
    on

Shanshu and Gattina, you put an enormous smile on my face today, when I realized that you had gone in search of
    Taubes book. I couldn’t be happier to learn that it also resonated with you, Shanshu, and that I hadn’t “oversold” it. 🙂
    The sun came out, the clouds parted, there was a perfect rainbow in the sky, and I wanted to bellow to the universe
    when I first read it! Sanity and reason came into focus for me, too. I’m so proud of you ladies for grabbing every
    resource available 🙂 I’m the wind beneath your wings 🙂 🙂 🙂

• posted by Shanshu
    on

Not able to measure anything at mo as in an AirBnB and can’t cook for myself. However I’ve tried to be good despite spending the morning travelling and the afternoon flathunting which is super nerve wracking and stressful.

Ate egg, bacon etc for breakfast, whelks and jellied eels for lunch and kebab (minus the carbs pitta, onions and only a small bit of garlic
    Mayo.

Calories: A lot but probs less than I burned today
    Carbs: Probably around 20g but mainly from
    veg
    Steps: 19,500

Please log in or register to post a reply.