SERIOUSLY DOING THE FAST 800 AGAIN, JOIN ME

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Yes I’m the same as you V, regained another pound since yesterday but know it was the wine. Your question about BG and weight gain, I am not sure a lot of people on this diet are diabetics whereas in the beginning most of us were, it is the BSD after all. But, I have found if I go off the rails and overeat calories but still stay away from carbs my BG is affected but only slightly. I would say the carbs are the main cause of high BG and I cant bring myself to eat them besides the odd slice of artisan bread (not the gloopy white sliced stuff). Maybe some of the returners are diabetic and can advise you better but my view is why risk it and surely the weight regain would be down to reintroducing carbs so that is a double whammy.

As for messing with my meds, I am the one who decided that constant low BG in the afternoon was caused by the G tablets and I decided to reduce them. Same with the insulin. But if I want to increase the G, I would have to talk to my doctor as he reduced my prescription so I wouldn’t have enough to take more. It was just a thought, I know I dont get very low in the afternoon now. But here is a thought, at one time I would have freaked out if my BG was lower than 80 (4.4) but now I test and it is around 65 (3.6) and I just think oh well I will be eating shortly or if it is more than half an hour to dinner I might have a piece of cold ham or a couple of prunes, but it certainly doesn’t worry me now. Optimum BG is between 80 and 120 and I freak more if it is over 120.

Got in 30 mins swimming yesterday (so why is my weight up) and might just jump in right now. Bye for now.

• posted by Jenni from the Block
    on

Hi Verano, re your question of gaining weight and the effect on BGLs. I have gained almost half my lost 14 Kgs back (found them only too easily after about 6 months at the lower weight) However my Diabetes is still in remission. I was very strict in the first 8 weeks which seems to have reset my pancreas for now. My weight gain isn’t due to carbing but due to absurd amounts of non-carb foods with the very occasional breakout on carbs. When I have had some grain based carbs I test about 4 times in the next couple of hours and stay in the acceptable range. After a crazy eating binge of non-carb or some carbs I do notice my next mornings fasting BGL is up a little but not much. Trying hard to get back on the 800 BSD train as I really don’t want to stuff up my diabetes again.

• posted by Happyfeet
    on

Hi guys! i just started, end of first week is tomorrow. So impressed with the “get back on the horse” attitude! Don’t take this the wrong way but it’s nice to see that everyone else goes through “800 cals grrrr” days as well. It’s not an easy thing to do but you guys are doing great, sunshine girl amazing progress on the BG front!! I am hoping to get better at this, first week has been up and down but feeling a bit optimistic about it! Sunshine girl commented on my thread and it is so true, keep on carrying on and try to get it mostly right. Thats my mantra for the next 8 weeks.

• posted by Verano
    on

Happyfeet you get into the swing of this WOE after a time and it does become easier. Our problem here, I think, is that we’ve been following the BSD for so long we’ve become a bit stale and maybe fallen into a rut, so we have to keep lifting ourselves !

I agree s-g no point in risking it but I was just wondering because you can stay low calorie but with higher carbs especially by reintroducing more fruit. Thanks Jenni I think you just reconfirmed my thoughts that I have to stay away from those simple carbs which I really don’t want to eat anyway.

My daughter and grandsons were here overnight and at breakfast my daughter asked me how I can ‘go without bread’ , they were tucking into bagels whilst I just treated myself to two ryvita! I really didn’t have an answer but it made me think, it’s the same as asking a vegetarian ‘how they manage without meat”. We know we can!

I guess carbs really are the monster and weight loss is the added bonus when we eat low carb/ healthy fat which, I must admit, I find a much more satisfying way to eat.

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

If you want a good read to support your low carb mindset, get a copy of Dr. Perlmutter’s book “Grain Brain”. I found it gave me good reasons to stay low carb and it has good advice regarding feeding children too.
    He also has the Grain Brain Cookbook which has several recipes we love to eat.

• posted by Julia18togo
    on

Happy Monday all.

Pleased to report that I ran Saturday and Sunday, food choices were sensible (well, apart from a mini jaffa cake!) and I have sensible food in the office. The key for me is not taking on too much at work – losing a day a week has made a huge difference to my emotional state (not frazzled) and consequently better self control with food choices. Even though I only stopped the extra day on Friday, I slept vastly better Saturday night, so much so I was up late last night being super productive at home! How people manage to do BSD with incredibly stressful lives is a wonder to me. The task for me is to avoid taking on more work – with the situation at home (teenagers not out of that nasty phase!) sticking to part time work is key for me, with all the running around I do at weekends ferrying one across the country to play sports, not to mention the housework and hosting foreign students, it feels like I do more than full time hours!

I really hope that Onetowatch has encouraging scale news this week, and that S-G you can reduce insulin further soon – seems to me that every time you reduce your body adapts to it anyway and sugars remain stable.

• posted by Verano
    on

I know that tomorrow is the last weigh-in for this challenge. Just wondering where we go from here ??!????

on

Hi all, tomorrow is our 8 weeks but it can be a moveable date as some started in week 2 or 3 or even 7. I will be continuing for another week before my family come for a visit then I will take a break. When they go home I will start 8 weeks over again.

See you all tomorrow.

• posted by Julia18togo
    on

Well, I continue the journey from here😆 But I realise that you mean which thread. I have been so busy I haven’t really engaged with any of the other ones, but things are nicely calming down now and I should have more time to post. Happy wherever. I definitely mean to keep posting though as it helps me stay focused and I have a wedding to aim for not to mention getting well away from the prediabetic zone which is my number 1 goal.
    Had a good day today – there were mini Reese’s peanut butter cups in front of me. Had 1, didn’t even enjoy it (too sickly sweet), had another 4 staring at me all afternoon and didn’t have more. Even last week that would have been a supreme effort. I’d have caved in simply because it’s chocolate, regardless of enjoyment. (I am a button not a dial type of person who knows no control with that sort of thing). So I’m pleased with myself as that shows my mindset has shifted. One day at a time… not going to rest on my laurels. How’s everyone else doing and what thoughts do others have on where we go after tomorrow?

• posted by Julia18togo
    on

Ps Apologies for mammoth previous post. S-g if we do another week here I may even get back to starting weight for this thread – given my recent sabotage that would be brilliant.

• posted by Verano
    on

Does anyone fancy another 4 week thread? I can’t do 8 at the moment but could do 4????

on

Heee heee me too Julia, I have been all over the place on this round of 8 weeks. Aimed to lose 10lbs and have so far lost 1lb (tomorrow will see). Another week might see me get back on track.

• posted by Julia18togo
    on

4 weeks sounds great Verano. Smaller goals are my thing, every time. Easier to reach for.
    S-g the main thing is the blood sugar as I see it. Weight loss is secondary – but in any case sounds like your scales are lying to you with these ups and downs for no good reason? That’s the way I’d choose to see it if I had worked as hard as you have, anyway. Your persistence is impressive.
    BtW I just love both of those usernames – summer sunshine in a bottle!

• posted by Verano
    on

Good morning everyone

Well another eight weeks bites the dust and I have to report an overall gain of 1.4lbs. In some ways I see the last 8 weeks as ‘maintenance mode’ but I should really be in ‘losing mode’! I was away for the first half of this challenge and whilst I did lose my holiday gain in the first week home I have never really got my head into gear. I need yet another fresh start.

Last week I drew a line under the last 12 months and started afresh but I’m afraid I have failed in my first week of 1000/50 a day. I need to give myself a good talking too. When I look back through my weight journal it’s almost as though I have been self sabotaging from the day I discovered I need hip surgery. It’s as if I have in my head if I don’t lose more weight before the op then he won’t operate on me!!! I know that’s rubbish and I also know that I have to have this surgery, even if it only to give me a decent nights sleep!

So where to next?

I’m really not sure what my next move should be. Do I take a rest from the boards for a while and go it alone? Do I start a 4 week thread to keep myself accountable? I know what I have to do to get back on track and Julia has hit the nail on the head…. I need to stop drinking the white ‘sunshine in a bottle’ that I’ve become accustomed to since my holiday!

I do hope that everyone else has had a good 8 weeks and has shown an overall loss.

• posted by Onetowatch
    on

trying to get to some scales folks! Hopefully will have an update tomorrow – i really want to be in the 11s this week or there will be a lot of sulking and tantrums!

• posted by Sumo
    on

Passed through 11st at about age 14 will never see that again.

on

Well the 8 weeks is up and I am reporting a loss of 200 grams, yeah!!!!!! But seriously it has been a maintenance period for me. I think I am now happy (ier) with my body and getting into old clothes hiding in the wardrobe and treated myself to some new. I remember the days when I took of my wedding and engagement rings because I had heat rash and couldn’t get them back on, I wear them every day now. However, after my 2 massive holidays (Alicante at Easter and a cruise in May) I have an overall gain of 8lb, yikes I didn’t realise it was that much, shows it pays to keep accurate records. I am going to do my measurements which I havent done for a long time and see the impact there because I feel slimmer – will report back on that.

Julia my scales are not lying to me, I am lying to myself. It starts on a Tuesday when I crack on with the plan and stick to it like glue. Then comes Friday evening and hubby opens the drinks cabinet and pours himself a glass of whiskey and asks if he can get me anything. I say no and keep to that. Then comes Saturday and he opens a bottle of red to have with dinner, can I get you something and I say no. Then half way through the evening I say “oh go on then, just the one”. 4 or 5 glasses later and that’s me ruined the diet, that usually continues on the Sunday as we have opened another bottle and, of course, you have to finish it. This was my old pattern before BSD and it has crept back into my mindset. I think I see 2 or 3 lbs loss on Saturday and think it cant do any harm to relax a bit, But it does, it ruins the whole weeks so I keep losing and gaining the same 2 or 3 lbs. It has to stop before I find myself back at my old weight. There, that’s my confession.

On a good note my BG was 4.3 this morning and that hardly waivers, I think the highest it has been is 6.2 which is still within the acceptable range. Long may that continue.

As to this challenge, I am staying with it for another week and 2 days to try to lose another 2 or 3 lbs before my family arrive and the festivities begin, I dont want to end up another 8 lbs heavier. So I am keeping on keeping on.

P.S. I am not an alcoholic, just like to relax at weekends like everyone else does.

on

Okay, I have done all my measurements and, again glad I keep records, I feel a bit better. Since the start of this diet I have lost 17lbs so a little more than I thought considering the 8lbs damage done. However, I have gained 10 inches overall and that needs to be sorted. The funny thing is, when I started this diet, in the first 3 weeks I lost 5 inches from my waist which is the visceral fat affect and helps bring the pancreas back into working order (I think) and with my gains I have not put back one single inch on my waist so, to me that says it is the carbs that put back visceral fat not a few sweet treats or wine treats.

Let me know how you have done, even if you are only a few weeks in. I am continuing on this thread for now.

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi s-g I agree with you about carbs and I do think they are the real problem.

Sometimes I think we lose track of the overall idea of BSD. As we know the main aim of the diet is to reduce visceral fat and thereby reduce blood sugar levels. You’ve done that s-g. I think we sometimes get too hung up on the number on the scales. MM doesn’t say we should never eat bread or have wine again so I think it’s back to that old idea of ‘all things in moderation’ apart from the ‘white stuff’!

I can’t understand how you have lost all that weight but put on inches. The most important, though, is that your waist measurement is still smaller.

I’ll stay here for another week too. Not one to be beaten I will do my best to end up with a loss after all. Then I’ll think about another 4 week plan.

• posted by Onetowatch
    on

Sully face. Second week staying exactly the same at 78.5 meehhhhhh

• posted by Julia18togo
    on

Hi all
    Well I am ending this challenge half a kilo up on my original 84.5. However, I did get down to 82 before my holiday (might have been lower – my records aren’t great on this front). Post my holiday I couldn’t get back into the groove (mostly due to coming back to a heavy workload after my holiday, rather than the holiday itself). However, having now lost a day per week contract (no funding for more, brilliant for getting me back onto BSD as I am much more chilled!) I have learned a lot this last week. I have looked back over the last 20 months , including the periods I have posted on this site and periods I haven’t. I have learned several lessons.
    1. I haven’t gone back to my original weight.
    2. I must have lost about 30 kilos overall – just keep refinding some of them, so the net weight lost is actually 16 kilos. That shows I CAN do this!
    3. When my weight goes up, it is entirely due to emotional eating at times of stress.
    4. I can’t limit some of the external stress factors, but I do have the choice of not giving myself extra workload when things are difficult, and making things harder for myself (not to mention the long-suffering family!). Therefore I have resolved not to take on any additional contracts for the next 2 years. Writing it down here so I have a record of this!
    5. I am currently back on track with an acceptable workload, daily exercise and either playing my fiddle or working in my garden daily. This is key for me. Over the last few years of losing weight and keeping it off, I can see that when the latter go out of the window, that is when I regain weight. This is a no-brainer for many, but it has taken me a frightening amount of time to be able to step back and see that for myself, at 43 you’d have thought I’d have learned that by now!
    6. Smaller goals which are more achievable work better for me. The next one is to get down to 84.

So, here’s hoping for continued success for us all. As Verano suggests, I’ll also stay around here another week and then think about the next 4. Small steps is better than giant ones for me.

S-G – appreciate the scales can’t be lying, but surely it is water retention, and will come off in the next day or so?

• posted by Julia18togo
    on

Onetowatch – have you checked measurements, as they may be more encouraging than numbers on the scales. You are doing well – these pesky plateaux are a pain in the proverbial, but with what you are putting in your mouth, the numbers have to drop eventually – just type plateau into the search box and you will see!

on

Julia, well done on your achievements, we are all winners here, just because we are here. No, too much wine always does it for me but I will lose that over the next 2 days, watch this space.

V, I should have been clearer. At my lowest weight on this plan I had lost 25 lbs and 35 inches, I have regained 8lbs and 10 inches so I am still 17lbs and 25 inches smaller. Just need to get back on with it and do that 25lbs again and I will be very happy. If I could find another 8 week free period I would have a better chance but will be coming with you on your 4 week challenges.

Unfortunately, when the family come out it is lots of eating out a sitting up late at night chatting with my lovely daughter and drinking wine. It is only 10 days so I will be good 80% of the time and allow some treats the rest of the time. When they go home I have 3 weeks before my next blood test and doctors appointment so will use that as motivation.

See you all tomorrow.

• posted by Verano
    on

Ahhh now I see s-g! I couldn’t understand where all those inches came from unless you measure every available place between your neck and your big toe! I must admit to only measuring, on occasion, waist and chest.

I’ve just read Esnecca’s anniversary post and I’m truly put to shame. It really is time for me to stop ‘playing’ at this and starting to get ‘serious’ if I ever want to reach my goal. No more living on past glory just moving forward.

• posted by Onetowatch
    on

Julia and team!! Happy days I am down by .6 kg today! This means I have 5.4 k to lose in the next 28 days to qualify for our fertility support. Can I do it?? Sure hope so! Pesky plateau has at least been broken a little.

Having read all the advice on here I am going to remove carrots and beetroot for now and focus on mushrooms tomato peppers artichoke and green leafy goodness and see if I can get my carbs down.

Had a lovely meal out last night in bsd fashion. A whole plaice with a prawn sauce and greens. I did have a scoop of coconut sorbet as well which was a bit naughty but only took me up to 1000 calls.

Off to Italy for a month today!! How is everyone?

on

Hi everyone, hope you are all feeling great. Onetowatch we are all with you, you can do it. Verano, I know exactly what you mean about Esnecca, isn’t that just amazing. In our support, we have been working hard and are still here no matter how many times we fall over. I know I have to get serious again but cannot until after my family go home, not saying I am giving up, will keep on keeping on until they arrive then just try to be careful.

Thinking back to when I first started, my daughter had just left her husband and it was moving day (28th June 2016) and the people were outside waiting to move into her house but she had heard nothing about her new house. It was a terrible 4 or 5 hours for her waiting, so she went round to the house she was buying and they knew nothing about it. Anyway, turns out their other house was ready and they got a van and moved out and she managed to get into her house at 9pm. We had visions of our daughter and 2 children trying to find a hotel room or B&B late at night. Okay long story, but it was the first day of my diet and hubby had (unknown to me) but a bottle of champagne in the fridge. She rings ‘hey mum we are in’ hubby goes taaaa daaaa and produces bottle of champagne and opens it. What did I do, I said ‘you want me to ruin my diet on day one – no way’. That’s the mind set I need to get back to – and I will.

Weight same today, BG 5.2 and just had 25 mins in the pool – will be back in later – forecast for 33 degrees so I will need it. Determined as ever.

• posted by Verano
    on

Hit the nail on the head s-g it’s all about mindset.

Onetowatch you will do it you just need to keep your eye on the prize!

Well I’ve just had a phone call from my practice nurse. Back in May she reduced my metformin by 50% and asked me to come back this month for another HbA1c. I rang the surgery this morning to make an appointment but they were confused about a further blood test before the normal 6 month period. So she said yes I do need another test with the view to taking me off metformin altogether if my blood sugar has stayed low! Whooopppee!!! I had no idea that that was her plan. I have been pretty good carbwise over the last few months, although too many calories, so I’m really hoping that my bloods will be ok. If they are I will have reached my main goal to come off medication. Will report back in a few weeks!

• posted by Fairyface
    on

Fingers and toes crossed for you Verano.

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

That is wonderfully promising Verano! I hope it comes out good for you!

on

Way to go Verano, you will be fine.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

I was just reading yesterday how the NHS is reluctant to test more than every 6 months. That’s great news, Verano. Keeping my fingers crossed for a Metformin-eliminating result.

Thank you, V and s-g, for the kind words. I’d be so thrilled if this wild ride of mine were of use to you because you’re so right that it’s almost entirely a mindset issue. Part of that is trying to cut out negative feedback loops, so no putting to shame allowed, Verano. You’ve accomplished great things and you will accomplish more of them.

• posted by Theodora
    on

Wow, Verano, how fantastic is that – well done you, and will be keeping fingers crossed that you can come off medication in a few weeks. What a result THAT would be😊

I do so agree that this WOE is all about mindset, though it’s not always easy to get ourselves into the right frame of mind but, when we manage it, we have seen just how much can be achieved. Way to go!!

• posted by Verano
    on

Thanks everyone I’ve got my fingers and toes crossed too but might just be better if I just zipped up my mouth!!!

I’ve found today’s post here and elsewhere really inspiring and, at least for today, my mind is in a good place! Now just working towards a new possibility of ‘no medications’. Wow that would be amazing!

• posted by Julia18togo
    on

Verano that’s great news about the metformin. Everything crossed for you!
    Onetowatch – holiday for a month sounds challenging but you seem extra determined and I am sure you’ll make it home with a loss.
    S-G – hope the weather stays nice enough for your swimming, but not too muggy.

3 nights in a row up late with one thing or another. Early night planned tonight, since last night in my tired state I succumbed to 2 small (i.e. not the massive ones you see in the shops!) fairy cakes made for the others (no icing) and planning also to avoid the pizza the others are having – might make a cauli one for myself. However, have been behaving myself with the rest of my food choices, and they are finished now so temptation out of the way. Have also been keeping up the exercise, so cannot be more than 200 cal up, which over a week is not much. One daughter away for a week now, the other going off Saturday, so I have a nice relaxing time planned!
    Have a good day, all.

on

Hi everyone, seriously feeling revved up today. Weight down just over one pound, BG 5.2 managed a total of 50 mins in the pool yesterday. And, yes Julia, I is very muggy today and around 28 degrees so will be swimming again.

Have a good day.

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi s-g sorry I missed your ‘revved up’ post yesterday but pleased to hear it and hope it’s still going today. It’s amazing how other people’s enthusiasm washes off. It certainly helps me to feel positive. That’s one of the reasons I hate posting if I’m low because I don’t want to pass my negative thoughts to others.

So, I’m plodding along without scales being as BSD friendly as I can. This is the first hotel I’ve been in where on one of the menus it states, in capital letters, that if you don’t want your burger in a bun, well brioche bun!, then just ask and you can have extra salad! Maybe lots of BSDers have already been here! Maybe just a sign of the times! It certainly is refreshing and it helps to think it may not be too difficult to change any meal just by asking. I do ask everywhere we go now for vegetables instead of potatoes etc. and it’s never a problem.

Hope you all have a good weekend.

on

Yes V, I am still revved up, swam yesterday and already been in the pool this morning and done 35 mins, will go in again later. Not weighing so I dont go into the weekend thinking I have lost (i’m sure I have) so can cheat a bit. No, no cheating at all, no wine, no vodka and tonic. Joined the thread for one week to get enthusiastic and will be using that for the next week (until Thursday) to get a loss before family arrive. By the way V, when you are low you need us even more, we are here to support you. Dont forget you have that test in a couple of weeks, keep that to the front of your mind – it is the carbs that do the damage not a few extra calories or pounds.

Weekend nearly here, enjoy everyone.

• posted by Onetowatch
    on

Enjoying hearing from you all – thanks for the cheers – we are on our camper by a waterfall in Italy – I am averaging 900 calls I need to shave this down! Help!

on

Still determined but as I am not weighing myself in case I get complacent I measured and since Tuesday I have lost 2 inches. Had a great day yesterday, swam a total of 55 mins, good job really as it is cool and drizzle today but that might not stop me getting in and doing a few lengths. I might hit the top of my calories today as I had no carb bircher for breakfast, having feta and avocado salad for lunch and whipping up a left over lamb in gravy (from another meal we couldn’t finish) going to add a carrot and lots of peppers and mushrooms, paprika and crème fraiche to make it into something like a goulash. No alcohol so far and not intending to have any, in fact, there is very little in the house. Secret tip, dont buy it but I cant stop hubby from having his red wine but it is not to my taste.

Have a good weekend everyone.

• posted by Verano
    on

Well done onetowatch you are doing really well….. you will make that target!

Love your enthusiasm s-g just keep going. Did you see Krysia’s post on shining or snowing???? She has gone through a rough ordeal.

I seem not to be getting my posts again for some reason. I’m around today but brother-in- law very unwell, so if I disappear that’s why. Will do my best to weigh-in on Tuesday, the last day of the 8 weeks for me.

Keep well.

on

Hi everyone, happy Sunday. Being very serious about the plan right now (why wasn’t I during the 8 weeks) and full of determination. Didn’t get a swim yesterday but weather looking better for today so might sneak in 30 mins. Always have a brunch on a Sunday, either grilled bacon or sausages. Today it was sausages and had beans instead of canned tomatoes, so a bit heavier on the carbs than usual but I wont eat again until dinner tonight, roast chicken with none of the trimmings for me. I make a small pot of stuffing for hubby so as not to tempt myself and I have half a sweet potato (very small) which I might mix with some celeriac mash. Still no alcohol although was watching the last in the serious of Line of Duty (recorded it months ago) and could feel myself needing a rather large vodka and forget about the tonic. Mon dieu, it was so tense although I had worked out one of the culprits, just didn’t see the others coming, great series.

Calmer today but will watch recorded University Challenge which I enjoy cos I’m a bit of a clever clogs.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

• posted by Julia18togo
    on

Good to hear, S-G, and I am with you in terms of being strict again. Back to watching my husband eat ice cream and not even having a tiny taste myself. What is the trick to the change of mindset? If I knew that I would be a millionaire! Ran again before breakfast, am keeping myself to the 10-6 window for eating, and already the results are showing, down a kilo. Ashamed to admit to having a bad day Friday, but gave myself a good talking to about feeding the pig and self love being about looking after my body, and something has shifted as well as some weight, in my head at least. Probably helped by not having my girls in the house.

Just made a really yummy lunch. 100% beef burger, without the bun of course, with a red cabbage/kohlrabi and beetroot slaw with a yoghurt and mint dressing. And a pile of baby spinach and cherry toms. The combo was really nice and one I will repeat.

I hope, Onetowatch, you are having a lovely time in the Italian sun, and managing to keep the carbs right down to achieve your goal. We’re all rooting for you.

Verano will be thinking of you on Tuesday and hoping the weigh in is another boost to your med-free journey.

Off for a walk later, to pick up a parcel – sampler pack of loose leaf chai tea direct from plantations and apparently incomparable with the tea bag stuff. Decided I needed something new to enjoy drinking which is BSD friendly. Will report back if it’s worth trying – hope it is at the price. Foreign student arriving this evening, forcing me to clean the house this afternoon. Between that, my good choices around food, the walk, and the lovely run in the sun this morning I am feeling very virtuous. My goodness the jewels will be dropping off my crown if I’m not careful to keep control of my smugness! Happy Sunday, all.

• posted by Julia18togo
    on

Well it’s Monday and I am nailing this – the 10-6 window is clearly helping. New chai tea is excellent, have brought some into work. It’s from Vahdam, and worth every penny. Currently on the saffron premium chai, having loved the double spice chai too. Not so keen on the green tea Kashmiri Kahwa one though – green tea is not a favourite of mine.

Weather lovely here, so walked into work.

Hope everyone else has a good week.

on

Hi everyone, what a great weekend although I nearly gave in once or twice, I just kept saying ‘it is only 3 days, 2 days, 1 day’ and suddenly it is Monday and I have managed to stay firm. Well worth it according to the scales this morning but that is for tomorrows weigh in but keeping it up until Thursday.

Had a swim for 30 minutes and, although dull and overcast now it is forecast for 28 this afternoon, so fingers crossed.

Julia, you could swap notes with my husband who loves artisan teas, his favourite is Airforce strength but I dont know where he buys it (brings back memories for him) but he also like a brand of Yorkshire Tea that came last in a blind tasting so that says a lot for his taste.

Have a good week everyone and will check in with you all tomorrow for the weight truth.

on

Whoa there, for all my enthusiasm I have just had a big hypo, did not lose consciousness and kept calm. Hubby panicked a bit but I just told him to get my glucose meter and prick my finger, he said he didn’t know how to do it like how to set up the meter etc so I talked him through it and said it was about time he learned. My BG was 48 or 2.6, lowest ever but not on purpose, i.e. I have not been starving myself or anything, just didn’t seem to get enough to eat with yog and fruit, Spanish soup and some stir-fry chicken with veg must have been under 600 cals but I have also had some nuts and was eating a chicken leg when it came over me so probably was up to around 800. Sometimes these things happen for no reason so I just have to live with it.

Anyway I hope you will excuse me for stuffing my face tonight. As I said I kept calm and had the glucose tablet with did absolutely nothing then I had half a pot of Greek yoghurt with 4 prunes and that brought me back to 63 or 35. After that I felt well enough to go raid the fridge and had a slice of ham and a baby bell cheese so back up to 85 or 4.7. All good stuff and BSD friendly even though hubby wanted me to have a jam sandwich. If anything it proves that when these things happen you dont have to resort to the old methods of carbs and sugar.

I will stay up a bit longer to make sure I am not dropping again. See you all tomorrow.

• posted by Julia18togo
    on

Sounds horrible – but a good reason to drop some of the insulin dose maybe. Do take care of yourself, we are all thinking of you. Hope you are able to sleep ok in spite of the shock.

• posted by Julia18togo
    on

S-G do hope blood sugar levels are more stable this morning. I woke up early and have been thinking of you.
    I am pleased to report that despite hitting 85.7 last week I’m now at 83.6 kilos so 1 less than at the start of the 8 weeks. I am still 110% on board with my head in the right place since the weekend and determined to weigh vastly less by the time of the wedding end September. Why on earth could I not have been like this earlier? I could have done so much more – but given I’ve lost and gained and lost again it’s not too bad I suppose. I could have gained and gained and not lost! Off for a run shortly. It’s exam results day today but I am going to keep focused on the BSD and not think about the impending envelope through the door. My daughter must be worrying much more – so no point in us both stressing!
    Have a good day everyone.

• posted by Verano
    on

HI s-g so sorry to hear about your scare last night but hope all is well with you this morning. Maybe a trip to your dishy doctor is called for!

I had a shock of exactly the opposite kind this morning my BS was 8.2!!!! Never ever been that high and it has shocked me into action. I had already decided to start changing my diet around. Every morning for as long as I can remember I have yogurt, berries or similar and walnuts. I was away for two days last week and had eggs and beans for breakfast and wasn’t hungry at lunch time. So for me it’s back to my recipe book and a few threads on here for enthusiasm.

This challenge has not been good for me but to be fair the last 4 months have not been good for me! In that period I was on holiday for 8 weeks and have had two short breaks but not really excuses. Overall I’ve lost just short of 6lbs which is abysmal. I now need to get my head back into gear if I’m ever to come off metformin, which I somehow don’t think will be after my HbA1c next week.

Anyway, onwards. I may have been in an even worse position had it not been for all your support. Not quite sure what my next move will be, may join the next 4 week challenge or may try a one week back to basics. One thing is for sure I will just keep on keeping on……..

• posted by bigeater
    on

Hi Verano, sorry to hear you have had a BS spike. Maybe stress? Your diet sounds fine. Don’t be too hard on yourself, 6 lb loss is good. Personally, I have stayed exactly the same for 2 months. But like I was telling Sunny B, have gone strict on myself and hopefully will get some results soon. I am perhaps stupidly not testing my blood sugar levels, just waiting for next HBA1C and a bit frightened to see what no metformin implicates. But I feel fine and have been eating healthily, so here’s hoping. I hope your BS spike was just a glitch. Let us know how you fare. All the best.

PS have a friend staying that slams every door she comes across. Sometimes in quick succession. bang bang bang 3 doors. It’s driving me to drink but sadly can’t have one. Got nothing to do with anything, just sayin.

on

Hi all I am still alive and kicking. It was weird, I was watching TV eating some left over chicken for my supper and I just said I feel a bit unwell. Not the usual blurred vision or numb lips and hands, sweats etc. I just felt strange. The only reason I couldn’t do blood test myself was because my hands were covered in chicken grease except for my little finger and I didn’t want to get up and wash them in case I passed out, so hubby had to hold the metre and pricker. Before I went to bed I retested and came in at 148 or 8.2 (so same as you V) so felt I was safe to go to sleep but we had terrible storms all night and I was wide awake at 5 am, got up, did a blood test and I was back down to 4.1 so had something to eat straight away – which is why I didn’t weigh myself. I went back to bed at 8am and slept for an hour then weighed myself but it was false as I had already had breakfast, a cup of tea and my lemon juice drink. Will weigh again tomorrow. Will just keep a close eye on myself for the next day or so. Yes, it might be time to reduce the insulin a bit more but with family coming out on Thursday I didn’t think it was a good time.

I dont think it is anything to do with the diet, I have been doing Fast 800 more or less for over a year now and it is the first time this has happened. So I will keep on keeping on…

Please log in or register to post a reply.