SERIOUSLY DOING THE FAST 800 AGAIN, JOIN ME

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Verano
    on

Glad things all seem to be well this morning s-g. I guess you just need to keep a closer eye on things for a while. Don’t worry too much about the number on the scale you know you have done really well this last week so just keep going. Do the best you can when the family are with you but above all ENJOY!

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Very scary sunshine-girl. I hope the doctor can help with a more accurate dose of insulin. Take care. Enjoy your family time!

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Californiagirl, there is nothing my doctor can do about my insulin dosage. He would have to be stood next to me all day to work out my calories in calories out, mood, how I am feeling in general, whether I have had carbs or alcohol and more. I have reduced my insulin on my own from 40 units daily to currently 20 units I have reduced the Glycazide from 90mg to 60mg because I know they give me very low BG in the afternoon. I test twice daily, first thing in the morning and I am running under 100 or even under 80 but seem to have stabilise around 95. In the evening I test before eating dinner at 7 pm and generally run at around 85. These are quite low figures but doctor told me to stay with the Glycizide and reduce the insulin because it is insulin that is painful to administer. He could look at my figures and say they are all too low and with that hat on it might be an idea to drop another 1 unit to 19. I am frightened to do it too quickly in case I start getting highs. But, can I just say, the low I had was not food or insulin related it was a bolt out of the blue and if you are diabetic, cant remember if you are, you will know these things just happen for no reason. It was how it was dealt with that is important, firstly recognising the symptoms, secondly managing it but also managing it without resorting to stuffing my face with carbs and sugar. In fact, the pure sugar in the form of a glucose tablet did nothing at all. Yoghurt, ham and cheese rule. Considering I have been on 800 calories and most doctors frown upon that, I think I have done very well to have had just one hypo in 12 months and cause unknown so not related to food or insulin.

Thank you for caring.

I will reduce my insulin to 19 tonight and see how my numbers go from there. My machine registers every test and I have a note book I write in every day which I show my doctor and he just says if he thinks my BG is running okay but he cannot take control.

• posted by Julia18togo
    on

Sunshine-girl you are very clued up – glad to hear that you are doing better now. I am still very focused, did a lovely 6k run before breakfast. Daughter’s exam results were good so had a nice day all in all – celebrated by having brunch with my brother (she is away so celebrations proper will have to wait). Nice weather for pottering in the garden here, and looking at recipes. Hope everyone still has head in BSD gear!

on

If I’m honest my doctor would just say give up the diet but then again, he has seen the results of this way of eating. I will tell him all about it when I see him next month.

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

I didn’t mean to suggest that I knew better than you sunshine-girl — I am ignorant of the details and meds because I am not diabetic. I was only responding from the limited information that I have gleaned from reading BSD posts for a year and a half.
    I was only just saying I hope you don’t have any more scary episodes and I feel for you.

on

Hey Californiagirl, I know you meant well, it is difficult to understand, even my husband is saying ‘you should give up this diet and eat more’ but that is not the situation, I have to remind him that the last time I had a hypo was about 3 years ago when I was eating carbs and, in fact at the time of the hypo I had just finished eating a bowl of Weetabix. I have cut insulin by 1 unit although tonight my BG was up but probably as a left over from last nights non carb but high cal feast. It does scare me but what else can I do but continue on this path to an insulin free life. Keep on etc……

on

Hi everyone, did a weigh in this morning and have lost 1.2kg (just over 2.5 lbs) so it can be done. I will be slacking off while family are here TOMORROW YIPEE but I will still be low carb. I have booked a table for Sunday lunch in a vineyard which is a take it or leave it affair, 5 courses with wine included so I had a little chat with the chef and told her of my diet. People think you are just on a fad diet but I explained that I am diabetic and on an experimental diet because white carbs are proven as bad as sugar. She explained that it is buffet style (no pork pies or sausage rolls in France) with lots of salad, veg and cold meats. So I should be okay. Just have to resist the black forest pavlova she is making for pudding.

Dropped insulin to 19 last night and BG is up this morning at 115 (6.3) which is still well under the top allowance of 125 (6,9) that my doctor recommends (80 to 125 is acceptable) but it seems high to me as I am not used to being that high. OMG I remember the days when I thought 140 was okay, just shows how we reset our goals and targets. Hopefully it will steady itself out and drop a little bit over the coming days.

Might not be around so much from now on as will be so busy with my daughter and the boys, hopefully playing in the pool all day. Be good all of you.

• posted by Verano
    on

Well done s-g what a lovely way to end this challenge. Hope you have a great time with your family. See you soon!

• posted by Julia18togo
    on

Excellent news, S-G!
    Hope you have a really lovely time with the family.
    Still plugging away here, hoping that I can lose a kilo this week.

• posted by Onetowatch
    on

How everyone

Julia way to go! A kilo is ace – that book about the squealing piggy inside did it for me – just totally disassociates you from the nagging feeling – it has helped me so much to ignore cravings! Well done on your commitment.

Verano look at the distance travelled right – and you are keeping everything off despite big social challenges so really be proud.

So I am in Italy – no pizza for me! Sticking to 800-850 have to watch the creep and make sure I account for every single thing! Lots of olives and ham and salad so pretty happy and not feeling deprived – have fish when out for dinner and also ha da small try of farinata which is a pancake made from chickpea flour. Yum. No scales to weigh on yet but keeping my eyes peeled. I have theee weeks to go. Only cheat was I had a scoop of chocolate gelato on the day I discovered that our third phenomenally expensive fertility process Hadn’t worked – but incorporated into cal count.

Appreciate the encouragement and also recommend as Julie is doing to just delay breakfast as long as possible – today I k let got to eating at 11.50 and I stop at six so lots of noshing to be done! Makes it much easier than early breakfast!

• posted by Onetowatch
    on

Good news! Found a scale! Down 2 kilos!! This means I have 3.5 to go hit target!

Julie congrats on the little ladies good results – it’s such a big deal!

A-g well done on your results too- when you put your mind to it look what you can do! Remember Black Forest gateau is not the luxury it looks – it’s a toxic poison … and you choose what you do with it. Right?

• posted by Ancient Weaver
    on

Well, I think I’ve cracked the 1 stone barrier . . . well I had, but I might be back up again tomorrow!

I had a very active day yesterday, but didn’t eat more protein accordingly, so most of today, I’ve been tired and listless. Not too hungry though . . . until supper time, dang was I hungry! While cooking supper, I even nibbled my way through same horrible fishcakes I made yesterday, and had been intending to throw out. I thought that they might reduce my appetite but even after the 6oz pork steak, a load of (yummy) roast (bsd friendly) veg, as well as a spoonful of baked beans, I was barely satisfied. So, I have gone WELL over my calorie allowance for the day, more than I was eating before I started the 800, even, so I don’t reckon much for my chances on the scales tomorrow!

If I am still at 12 st, I will have double reason for celebrating! :O

• posted by Onetowatch
    on

Hang in there ancient weaver – tomorrow is a new day!

I am down .5kg over last five days. Determined to smash my ivf target with 3kgs to go in 18 days!

• posted by tigs
    on

Nice to see familiar names on here as I have been AWOL. Back on the bus myself yesterday. Had many many restarts since fell off around April, but never ever giving up.

8 weeks here we go! Then plan to move to 5:2 so that I have a clear end point for the 8 weeks rather than continuing with no end in sight. My new strategy. If, after 5:2 for a while, I need to lose more then will make a call on doing another 8 week stint then. Might all be a bit more sustainable for me.

on

Thanks, Onetowatch. ๐Ÿ™‚ Good luck on your target, too ๐Ÿ™‚

I did go up a bit but still hovering on the 12 stone line.
    I’ve been very active so I wouldn’t be surprised if I’m building muscle again. Today, I’m not very hungry again, just very thirsty!
    It’s tempting not to eat much, but I can still lose a decent amount of weight even when I don’t make it down to 800 calories, so I don’t think it would be helpful to eat less.

• posted by Onetowatch
    on

Dinner here in Italy – managed to have a delicious cured fish starter then rabitnwith a massive salad and grilled veg and half a small glass of wine and still come in at 800/50 happy days!!!!

• posted by Julia18togo
    on

Tigs, well done getting back on the bus. Take a seat next to me.
    Onetowatch, that dinner sounds great. I’m sure you will hit your target in time – you could hardly be doing any more than you are, dedication 150% even on holiday!
    Ancient Weaver, well done on cracking the 1 stone barrier.
    Verano, hope that you are continuing in great style with an eye on the stopping of meds.
    Sunshine-girl, hope that you are really enjoying having family around, and that you are managing to stick to your desired carb levels and that reduction of insulin can be further reduced.

I am now sitting at 83 dead – nothing moving for a while, but upped my usual 5 k run to 10 last night (impending wedding of BF in Japan looming ever closer!) and boy am I paying for it this morning. Legs like lead… I know the weight will shift in a few more days so still plugging away!

on

Wow, grats on the running! I don’t think I’d do well walking 5k let alone running 10k, even with my new found energy. So yeah, kudos to you. ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by AnnieW
    on

Congratulations on your running Julia18togo. Not sure if you are used to running longer distances but usual rule of thumb is not to increase your longest run by more than 10% of your total weekly distance. It keeps the risk of injury to a minimum. Sorry if It’s a case of eggs, teaching, grandmother, to suck – just wondered if you were aware. Don’t want you hobbling down the aisle ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Onetowatch
    on

Hey everyone glad to hear of progress and commitment! Had a bit of a tough day today because staying on posh hotel somhad breakfast at breakfast time and spent day obsessing about food. Lesson learned . Will go to breakfast tomorrow and order my onmlette to go and eat it at my normal breakfast time 1pm! Got to get super strict for next two weeks now as need to lose 3kg in 14 days . Wills eigh on Friday to see how we are doing!

Good luck with runs Julie!

Please log in or register to post a reply.