Serious Carb Addict

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Lisa67
    on

Today is day 1. Yesterday I cleared out all of my kitchen cupboards and took hubby on a 2 hour shopping trip round the supermarket to shop for this weeks food. I thought I was in the wrong house this morning when I opened my fridge.
    I am 50 next year seriously overweight, have had type 2 Diabetes for 9 years now and ischaemic heart disease resulting in a heart attack at the age of 45. I have poor mobility, on 12 tablets a day and really need to be on insulin now. I have actually realised this week that I am just existing and not living!
    I feel seriously let down by my health professionals as they have never guided me in the right direction re my diet, and after reading the BSD book this week I can now see why other diets have never worked for me.
    For the first time in the last 3 years I feel motivated to get my life on track, I used to be a heavy smoker and have not touched a cigarette in 3 1/2 years so I can stop this carb addiction too. Over the last few days I have planned made lots of tables to track my progress my Blood glucose and BP daily. I am following the 8 week plan and will be very strict with myself so wish me luck and keep those motivational stories coming.

• posted by Determinedthistime
    on

Hi Lisa67
    Welcome!! I started on Monday. I haven’t got diabetes, but have got mobility problems, probably from not being active enough and about 120 lbs to get rid of. I know what you mean about the fridge…..I can’t find anything, ‘ cos all the green stuff is hiding everything ! Preparation is defineatly the key, that and the inspirational stories on here.
    I have had quite a good week, and not really been hungry or had major cravings but, we had friends round last night and I really fell of the healthy wagon. But…. Back on again this morning as I am determined.
    Good luck and let’s all have a great week ahead. ๐Ÿ˜€

• posted by Determinedthistime
    on

Hi Lisa67
    Welcome!! I started on Monday. I haven’t got diabetes, but have got mobility problems, probably from not being active enough and about 120 lbs to get rid of. I know what you mean about the fridge…..I can’t find anything, ‘ cos all the green stuff is hiding everything ! Preparation is defineatly the key, that and the inspirational stories on here.
    I have had quite a good week, and not really been hungry or had major cravings but, we had friends round last night and I really fell of the healthy wagon. But…. Back on again this morning as I am determined.
    Good luck and let’s all have a great week ahead. ๐Ÿ˜€
    Meant to say I have lost 4 lbs so far, not brilliant, but better than gaining

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Welcome aboard the new life bus Lisa67, you will enjoy the ride – most of the time. Join the club, we have all been let down by the medical fraternity and they are still trying to tell us what to do with our lives when they don’t have a bl—dy clue. Even when the evidence has been presented to them those at the top are loathe to change years of thinking because (a) it would be expensive (b) it would be too complicated. If you can access it I suggest you log onto phcuk.org and type in Healthy Eating Guidelines & Weight Loss Advice for The United Kingdom. This is a public body which advises NICE and the NHS etc and see what NICE had to say about the findings (i.e. they say our diet is the best for everyone)

“Public Health Collaboration recommends that the guidelines for weight loss in the UK should include an ad libitum low-
    carbohydrate-high-fat diet of real foods as an acceptable, effective and safe approach.””
    AND
    “NICE might have concerns that the current knowledge and experience of healthcare professionals may not be adequate to implement the LCHF diet throughout the NHS.” In other words MONEY to educate medical professionals.

It is a brilliant paper if you have time to read it, in particular look at the charts for a good diet THEN (1960’s) and now, the bad carbs have gone.

Don’t worry, they are coming round to our way of thinking and slowly slowly we will re-educate them. In fairness to doctors, nurses, dieticians etc. it is very difficult for them to go against the advice of NICE as they may be in breach of their ethical code and could face legal action if anything went wrong.

We still don’t have to listen to them.

Good luck and keep posting.

• posted by Lisa67
    on

Thank you will definitely have a look at this. Thank you for sharing ๐Ÿ˜‰

• posted by Lisa67
    on

I have 182lbs to lose but I am not going to let this phase me. I am actually quite looking forward to the journey after reading such motivational success stories on these forums. Well done for getting back on it Determinedthistime that is the hardest part and of course not to feel guilty about it. Good luck ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Norfolkgal
    on

I have just read the report referred to by sunshine-girl. Very interesting reading, this should be required reading for all health professionals.

• posted by FatBloke
    on

HI Lisa,

I started on Friday so I am only on day 2.

Good luck with it, if you can kick smoking then you can do this.

Chris

• posted by Fairyface
    on

I also started today Lisa 67.
    I am 63 shortly, osteoarthritis in my knees. Only take aspirin daily but feel as though I am not living life to its full potential! I weighed this morning and I am 17st 13lbs, 114.2kg, 251.8lbs. Hubby and I went on a marathon shop yesterday. Meal planner done but is in need of tweeking. Which we are giving ourselves a couple of days to sort out again. We have taken before photographs and I think I might do them every month. I have read the book and bought the recipe book which I don’t want to deviate from for the first 8 weeks. I will start to go out for a walk daily even if it is just up our road! Drank loads of water today and enjoyed what I have eaten. Onwards and upwards:-)

• posted by Lisa67
    on

Good Luck with your adventure too Chris (Fatbloke). Day 1 almost over and I have really enjoyed the food I have had so far and yes smoking is a hard one to beat so I can do this. ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Lisa67
    on

@fairyface best of luck to you too. I have found the first day easier than I thought, would usually be sitting with a glass of cold prosecco right now but have swapped it for a large glass of fizzy water. We had the Thai red curry for dinner tonight,have noted only 3 tsps paste needed next time as it was a bit too spicy for me. First time I have had cauli rice and enjoyed it definitely better done in the oven. keep in touch with your progress ๐Ÿ™‚

Please log in or register to post a reply.