Results of Ziggy's HbA1c test

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Ziggy
    on

So, I had delayed my 6 monthly HbA1c test until about 5 weeks through my BSD Fast (I eventually only did six weeks losing over 21lb )

And the result of the effect the 8 week Blood Sugar Diet (I only did 6 weeks) on Ziggy’s HbA1c and has his diabetes been reversed ????:-

Doctor -“there doesn’t appear to have been an HbA1c test done – I’ll phone the labs. No, they say none was done either”

I left, with the doctor trying to tell me I have pernacious anaemia. Which I am sure is a result of the diet and will be fine again once I return to eating normally.

Again – not the result I was after! Rather dejected. Back to the drawing board methinks.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Sounds like you have a dippy doctor. I very much doubt this diet would cause pernacious anaemia unless you are vegitarian and not getting any meat products. A lack of B12 is the usual cause but not through not eating but because the body cannot process it so it is not something you just get all of a sudden. I know what you are like Ziggy for doing your research, look it up and also find out why your HBA1c was not done. The diet has not failed as you don’t even know the results yet.

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Oh Ziggy. No wonder you are frustrated

So, you had a blood test done and that produced the results you’ve reported, i.e. the low platelet count and the folic acid issue, but despite your being on the list for your six monthly HbA1c test, they didn’t do that one????

Pernicious anaemia? Well, that’s B12 as sunshine-girl says, and you are vegetarian I think you said?

But I cannot think that the BSD can have caused that, because surely you have been eating B12 rich food such as cheese, eggs, marmite, as you would usually have done? I know that low-fat dairy has more B12 apparently, and I assume you have moved on the BSD to full fat? Could that alone (in the time, 6 weeks!) have caused such a fall in B12 levels to cause pernicious anaemia?

Otherwise, all the recommended food for B12 in terms of meat, fish etc are fine within the BSD.

I do wonder whether, prior to your successful BSD (I will persist in calling it that, because at least you’ve lost 21 lbs plus and you must have reduced your visceral fat), you had too little B12 within your normal diet and the removal of the low-fat option for dairy has pushed it lower? What do you think?

There is no problem in having low-fat options in the BSD of course, if you add them in – it’s just adding the sugar within them which is an issue.

Stop banging your head against the wall (well, I assume you’re doing that, I would be), take a deep breath and perhaps you could make am appointment with another doctor at the practice with a list of cogent questions???

• posted by Ziggy
    on

No, during the diet I did cut down on cheese and maybe didn’t eat as many eggs as usual – as as for Marmite – no thanks – so I could have gone low during the diet. I do know what pernacious anaemia is and am not unduly worried since coming off the diet.

Sadly my GP (who is leaving shortly too after 20 years) is the appointed ‘diabetes expert in the surgery so all diabetics are referred to her, so I can’t get a second opinion. I think I will move on to practices afar.

I don’t know why they didn’t do the HbA1c and neither do they or the labs. Got cholesterol, kidney function and every other diabetes related test except HbA1c.!! Quite a number of other tests.

The sad thing for me is doing the diet, intentionally in time to have my HbA1c tested during it to a) prove it worked (but as my GP said today that if I had walked in any time in the past five years they would not have classed me as diabetic because my control has been so tight and b) to see if I had reversed my diabetes. I am classing my BSD as successful – got down to lower than my target in the six weeks and looked quite gaunt and could count every rib in the mirror.

So that’s the story. None the wiser, just skinnier. Thanks igorsusual and sunshine-girl. How are you both doing.

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

I did say before you are a mystery to medical science…….

Congratulations on your BSD results, every rib, and hope you will be upping the B12 (if not with marmite) to bid farewell to the pernicious anaemia. Quite a sinister name for a condition, i always think.

OH and I are doing fine thank you for asking.

Both of us have finished BSD, I am still under 9 stone, with the wiggle room I gave myself and have booked a full blood test (didn’t specifically ask for HbA1c as not ever diagnosed as Type 2 or borderline) for the end of this week to see how BS and Cholesterol are doing. Still generally sticking to BSD, and keeping carbs low – we had a weekend away and though we had a lovely Italian meal, were able to resist the bread+olive oil+balsamic quite easily.

OH now totally off metformin, with some follow up HbA1c testing due early September to see if his results are maintained. He succumbed (well, he chose) some chips over our weekend, and had such immediate violent indigestion I think won’t be repeating that in a hurry.

Can’t see us going back to refined carbs at all, apart from a few roast potatoes at Christmas.

Very best wishes to you and your ongoing journey, whatever you choose to do…….

• posted by Ziggy
    on

@Igorsusual – well done to you and your OH – inspirational stories and motivational tales – you both must be pleased.

Very best to you both on your travels through time and space ………………………

I might do a BSD once a yer during Lent (it’s an Easter thing!)

Please log in or register to post a reply.