Report in The Lancet September 2017

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by MaggieBath
    on

Headline recommendation
    “Interpretation
    High carbohydrate intake was associated with higher risk of total mortality, whereas total fat and individual types of fat were related to lower total mortality. Total fat and types of fat were not associated with cardiovascular disease, myocardial infarction, or cardiovascular disease mortality, whereas saturated fat had an inverse association with stroke. Global dietary guidelines should be reconsidered in light of these findings”
    This was a ten year study across 15 countries. None of the sponsors or funders had any input into the methodology or publication date or presentation of results.

So when do you imagine global guidelines will be changed? Surely it can’t be shrugged off, but meanwhile it’s up to all of us to be living proof that LCHF is a diet that dramatically improves our general health and is a real alternative to medication.

In case you missed it, I’ll repeat a high fat diet reduces risk of stroke!

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(17)32252-3/fulltext?elsca1=tlxpr

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Maggie – thank you for this. I have bookmarked this and your excellent precis on the article so I can pass them on to people who are not yet following this WOE.

The answer to your question re: so when do you imagine global guidelines will be changed is I am afraid “not anytime soon”. But what I am beginning to realise (and am getting quite excited by the thought) is that we are all of us the living proof that LCHF is a diet that dramatically improves our general health and is a real alternative to medication. I have quoted verbatim from your post because your words really sum up how good this WOE is.

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

Maggie, THANK YOU! Great catch on this article….impressive and massive study confirming the role of fat in supporting cardiovacsular and overall health, and association with reduced mortality.

Hope everyone that is nervouse about fat increase while dropping carbs can relax a bit….it not only helps with satiety but is good for you. Any many feel increased fats also are an aid to healthier skin and appearance as we age. Olive oil is magic stuff.

• posted by MaggieBath
    on

Luvtcook and Krysia – glad you found this as exciting as I did. Accepting that fat is good for us is a huge challenge and without the evidence it’s quite a leap of faith to embrace it!

By a very happy chance a leading UK politician (Tom Watson) has just announced that he has lost 6 stone on a keto diet. The news reporting has been all about bullet coffee – the reporters were all treating it as a San Francisco fad- some fad to produce such spectacular results.
    Let’s hope it raises the profile of the dietary advice we’ve been given for decades.

• posted by SaltySeaBird
    on

Hi everyone – yes, isn’t it great that finally the ‘big’ medical journals are recognising that it’s the high carb, not high fat that is the problem with western diets, but also frustrating that government still continues to push out the high-carb/low-fat mantra.
    Re keto – I do this and belong to a Facebook group based on Mark Sisson’s book, The Keto Reset – the ‘problem’ with keto is that ketosis i e the production of ketones, can be achieved through some extremely unhealthy diets and it is these that tend to make negative headlines. There are also unscrupulous businesses selling exogenous ketone supplements which won’t actually do anything other than get a reading on a keto meter.
    I can absolutely recommend The Keto Reset – I have no affiliation or vested interest , just very impressed with the science, the gentle method and the focus on healthy eating and overall healthy lifestyle. Dr Mosely does actually reference Mark Sisson in his 5:2 book and I haven’t found anything conflicting with MM’sadvice on exercise, fasting, etc.
    As has already been said, we just have to keep being our own evidence and spreading the word.
    Keep smiling
    SSB

Please log in or register to post a reply.