replacement for Portobello mushrooms

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by enthusiastic
    on

Does any one have a suggestion for replacement of Portobello mushrooms for the Portobello toast and the Cheesy baked beans, that would be a similar calorie content and nutrients?? I would be glad to know..not a fan of mushrooms!! Will appreciate any input

• posted by Sweetpea
    on

How about a roasted pepper or aubergine instead?

• posted by Julia18togo
    on

I buy roasted red peppers in jars (Lidl do them if you are in the UK) and £1 shops often havethe Aleyna brand too – much cheaper than the big 4 supermarket options. They are in a slightly vinegary brine, but I wash one off under the tap and either whack it in the frying pan briefly or nuke it in microwave to warm it up. A convenient alternative and the jar lasts ages in fridge, so good for those who are cooking for one.

Sainsburys also does a frozen bag of Mediterranean char-grilled veg – also ideal for those cooking for one.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Make a flatbread by mixing 1/2 a cup of chickpea (Gram) flour with enough cold water to make a thin batter, you can add herbs and spices if you like. Chickpea flour is packed with dietary fibre and complex carbs
    Pour the batter into a frying pan and cook on a medium heat for 3 -4 minutes or until golden brown, flip over and repeat
    Great for those cheesey beans!

• posted by enthusiastic
    on

Thanks guys for all the great suggestions Much appreciated.

• posted by Marion
    on

I don’t like cooked mushrooms either, so will now visit the supermarket and see if I can get precooked peppers. I don’t have a local Lidl. Thanks for the suggestion.
    Can you tell me if I can drink Tomato Juice? I love it with a spot of Worcester sauce in it. I know we have to avoid fruit juice but wondered if this was? The other drink is an OXO is this ok?
    Day 5 for me, no cravings as such – certainly not for chocolate. At the moment tho I’d kill for a crispbread. I have been following the recipes from the book, with a bit of swapping as I’m afraid some just don’t appeal to me. But having had a look at some of the ones on this forum I can’t wait to try them.
    I have lost a few pounds I think – i weigh myself first thing (after a trip to the loo), am trying to do at least 2000 steps (which my dog is loving), trying not to think ‘another 7 weeks of this to go’ but ‘ well done you, that was a quick week’.
    I think the bottom line is I had to do something – I have too many friends who ARE diabetic. I don’t want to join that club. Anything else is a bonus.

• posted by CazP1965
    on

Hi Bill
    How many calories and carbs are in the flatbreads ? They sound really great. You said they have complex carbs so are they OK ?
    Thanks

Please log in or register to post a reply.