Low carb bread?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by bizzylizzy
    on

I am searching high and low for a very low carb bread to incorporate into a ’50g carbs a day’ eating lifestyle (not diet!). I see that Australia has Hermanbrot bread in their stores, which has 2.3g carbs per slice but it’s not sold here (UK). Has anyone tried the Atkins low carb bread mix? It’s available online, but expensive to buy with postage added on. I have a bread maker so am very happy to make my own if there is a recipe that is actually nice! (I have tried one before that ended up like a brick, and was totally inedible 😳)

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Hi liz
    Low carb megastore has some, they say this about it
    Servings: 17 slices (approx)
    Serving Size: 1 slice (20g)
    Net Carbs Per Serving: 2.9g
    Protein Per Serving: 4.3

A bit expensive at £2.75 a loaf though
    I just googled for low carbohydrate bread uk and got loads of results 🙂

• posted by bizzylizzy
    on

I have spent a lot of time googling! I just wondered if anyone had personal experience of any low carb breads, or tried any recipes. Thanks for looking.

• posted by Venusflytrap
    on

It might be worth checking out oatcakes. I bought some yesterday and they are about 0.9 carbs each. The only ones I could get included about 30% wheat flour but I am sure some of Nairns are 100% oats, which might be better. I know a biscuit isn’t bread, but it might help. Have you considered looking at low calorie breads? They are nearly always smaller than ordinary bread and so might give you more slices for your carb total. I don’t know the answer to this one, as I haven’t checked yet. They were thoughts I was going to check out next time I’m at the supermarket. Just checked and Hovis Nimble Wholemeal Loaf slices do come in lower than a lot of its rivals. So maybe you can fit in the odd slice now and then. It freezes well, and just about defrosts in the time it takes me to make the sandwich or meal I’m having it with. Or it toasts well from frozen too.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

liz i’m going to pop to Waitrose when I get a minute and pick up a loaf of livlife bread
    3.8 g carbs per slice but hey ho
    I’ll let you know what it’s like.

• posted by Hopeful
    on

Hello Bizzylizzy,

I keep posting on this site about LIIVLIFE bread 3.9 carbs a slice. Only a small loaf but full of seeds and very filling.
    Costs £1.50 from Morrisons or Waitrose.
    I love bread, and I eat this all the time, I only need a couple of slices at a time and it doesn’t spike my blood sugar.
    Hope this helps
    Hopeful!

• posted by Hopeful
    on

Hi Bill, LIVLIFE is great, really fills you up and nice tasting!!
    Hopeful!

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Thanks hopeful, I’m definitely going to try that.
    Toasted cheese’n’onion sandwich
    YUM

• posted by bizzylizzy
    on

Thank you Hopeful and Bill, I must definitely try that bread too! Does it freeze well?
    I have tried Nairns oatcakes, Venusflytrap, but the main problem is only eating just one! They are too more-ish, and my OH finds it well nigh impossible not to eat at least 5 at a time! So I don’t buy them anymore. My thoughts on bread are that if I freeze a sliced loaf, then it’s more of a faff to defrost a slice or two so less likely to eat more than we should!

• posted by Venusflytrap
    on

Absolutely bizzylizzy. I can’t be the only one hiding all the bread etc at the bottom of the chest freezer and the biscuits and bars at the back of the cereal cupboard with lots of half open packets of non tempting things in front of them! Thanks Hopeful and Bill1954, Morrison’s here I come. I am really missing bread and am prepared to faff around just for 1 slice with butter. Funny I thought it would be the fruit or the low fat dairy that would sabotage me, and they haven’t …yet!

• posted by outrunner2k7
    on

Hi bizzylizzy

I tried this last week: http://www.hi-lo-bread.co.uk/ from Sainsburys and it’s actually very good. It can be frozen and tastes good at 5g per slice. I don’t have a Waitrose or Morrisons near me but apparently the LivLife is better and even lower in carbs. I actually used two slices of this in place of the bun at Burger King with some mayo and other than the seeds it was a worthy opponent to the white seeded bun.

Carbwise this meal weighed in at 12g as opposed to 45! BTW I felt VERY full afterwards! LOL

• posted by bizzylizzy
    on

As luck would have it, I was driving past a Waitrose this afternoon so popped in and got 2 loaves of LivLife bread. It’s £1.59 for a loaf that is half the size of a “normal” one, but I was expecting it to be small. We treated ourselves to a slice each when we got home, spread with butter of course, just to try. We like it! Very seedy, which I love, and filling!

I will find a space in the freezer for the loaves and work out how to incorporate it into our meal plans, just a slice or two as part of a meal rather than it being most of the meal. I am very pleased to have an easy, go to lunch or meal to have if things get unexpectedly rushed or plans have to suddenly change (which they are doing frequently). Adding some cheese, or eggs or ham with a tomato would be a much better alternative then a microwaved ready meal (which had to happen last week 😱).

Thank you so much for the recommendation. And I can’t wait to have toast again! (all planned in of course……)

• posted by bizzylizzy
    on

As an after thought, remembered too late to edit, Bill – do you know how many carbs are in the coconut flour flatbreads you put on here?

• posted by Venusflytrap
    on

I would be happy to swop a slice or two, might say bye bye to the half pears, for instance. LivLife here I come.

• posted by Kags
    on

Unfortunately for a bread lover like me, here in Romania we can’t get low carb bread yet, so I’ve been looking online for alternatives. While making a cauliflower pizza base (which is delicious, by the way!), I did a bit of hunting around and I found a recipe for a toasted cheese sandwich made from cauliflower “bread” slices. If anyone is interested, I can dig it out and link to it. I’m definitely going to try it.

• posted by Venusflytrap
    on

Ooh, yes please, Kags. Big fan of cauliflower especially with cheese.

• posted by Venusflytrap
    on

Thanks, Kags, the pics, recipes and reviews on this site are totally beguiling. Can’t wait to try it. What an amazing coincidence, I borrowed a Paleo diet book from the public library just this afternoon. Glad to know I was on the right track.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Hi Liz
    Per 28 grams (I only use 1 tbsp which is less)
    17 grams carbohydrate 11 grams of which is dietary fibre so good carbs
    5 grams protein
    4 grams saturated fat
    0 trans fats
    Calories 124

Taken from
    nutritiondata.self.com/facts/custom/591392/2?quantity=8.0
    Thats for the coconut flour

• posted by bizzylizzy
    on

So how do you count that in your daily carb count? 17g or 6g (17g minus 11g of fibre)

• posted by Bill1954
    on

The site says to count it as 6g Liz
    They are incredibly filling though and I couldn’t eat 2 at a sitting

• posted by bizzylizzy
    on

Thank you, just trying to get ready to start counting carbs instead of calories! I can only manage one flatbread as well – very nice dipped in olive oil and eaten with a salad. What do you use to help with your carb counting?

• posted by Bill1954
    on

I don’t have any one site in particular LIz. I just usually google the name of the food followed by nutritional information and check 3 or 4 sites from the results to see how well they agree (they often don’t) and then go by the majority result.
    It’s not exact science but nothing is and it seems to work for me.
    Still didn’t get to a Morrisons or Sainsbury to get the livlife bread, I must try tonight.
    Oh, try the flatbreads topped with cream or ricotta cheese and sliced strawberries, to die for 🙂

• posted by FoFi
    on

I’ve been having the odd slice of “Biona Organic Rye Pumpkin Seed Bread” which I can get at Tesco. It is the dark rye sort of bread. It isn’t as low as some of the above in carbohydrate, but as far as I can extrapolate from some of the GI websites it has a reasonable GI and one slice is low GL. It freezes well. I like the taste, but I imagine not everyone will. There are other varieties.

• posted by Venusflytrap
    on

Thanks FoFi, I have been wondering about the German rye bread I have in my freezer somewhere. I was going to dig it out and start a bit of research. It makes a lovely foundation for egg sandwiches, with any kind of egg. And one is really filling. Glad to know that it is low enough in carbs to be an option.

• posted by Odette C
    on

xFyi Tesco Euphorium bakery now sell a protien bread, at their Euphorium bakery section, they will skice it for you and it is delicious, especially toasted. From memory it os 130 cals per slice and 12 carbs.
    In my opinion it is way superior to the hilobread. The slices are bigger, so could eat just half a slice if necessary?

• posted by Venusflytrap
    on

We needed a snack while out shopping and happened to be outside an Indian Sweets shop. So we popped in for some pakora. Then the next day we had veg pakora for lunch made with gram flour. Recently we have been having a couple of poppadum with our curries and chillis. It just satisfied that toast urge! Can’t tell you the carbs as the pack came without nutritional info. Damn you bakery products!

• posted by OzVeggy
    on

I found the Hermanbrot low carb bread this week and did have a slice of Vegemite toast. It was pretty expensive though so I figure once or twice a week is plenty. And I’m not really even missing bread.

• posted by Frog
    on

oooh – have only just seen this thread – it’s making me hungry
    I had been trying to avoid low carb bread, as i’d like to get into a style of eating that isn’t bread with everything!
    no big tesco near me, but several branches of Euphorium bakery near me, so I guess they’ll have it there – or maybe the Livlife one if I go to a bigger waitrose than my local one – decisions, decisions!
    Switzwerland mentioned a cauliflower pizza base at the weekend – I guess its similar to the bread in the link – I’ll have a go at that when I have a bit more time.

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Also look up chickpea or gram flour. That makes fab crisp bread

• posted by Timmy
    on

OzVeggy, I suppose the one benefit of not eating bread is not having anything to spread that disgusting vegemite on! 😉

Marmite all the way!

• posted by Venusflytrap
    on

Hi Timmy, you’re not dissing the Marmites are you? You know the love it or hate it thing? Well us addicts are very protective of our treat. So watch out! —- And now I’ve read your post properly and realised you’re one of us! Just finishing a jar of Sainsbury’s own brand yeast spread. As a Marmite fan, won’t be going there again. And the jar lasted ages, because no one else would eat it. And I was brought up by someone who lived through rationing, so I cannot throw food away. So still eating the damn stuff months later because I have to forget I don’t like it before I have some again! I’ll join your gang if we are going to do over the Vegemites. I could do with an antipodean holiday. I’ll bring the jars of the real stuff!

• posted by Timmy
    on

No Venusflytrap, my house is a house of marmite lovers. Me, my wife and all kids absolutely love it. We get through it like it’s going out of fashion. In fact I think all of my siblings and their families all love it, as do all of my wife’s siblings families, although some of them take it too far and have marmite and marmalade sandwiches.

• posted by outrunner2k7
    on

Hi everyone

In the 3 months we’ve been doing this we have finally found a recipe that is actually looks, feels (in the mouth) AND tastes like bread!

We made it today and it’s awesome, Highly recommended (toasted with lashing of butter and Marmite!?!)

http://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/the-low-carb-bread

Enjoy

P.S. Fellow marmite lover 😀

• posted by Venusflytrap
    on

Hi Timmy, I just HAVE to try Marmite with Marmelade now. Well maybe when I’m not having a hungry day and have the kcal to spare. I was wondering if the urge towards Marmite was genetic, and your family would seem to prove that. But Flytrap Junior does not share Flytrap’s and my taste for it. Maybe he’s a foundling or a substitute as there is his anti-gravy stance as well?

Thank you for the recipe, outrunner2k7. It actually does look like real bread in the picture and the grains in the recipe mean that it doesn’t sound too outlandish. Actually thanks for the link to the whole site, it looks perfect for the BSD tribe.

Venus

• posted by Frog
    on

Not convinced by the low carb cheese thing! I didn’t have mozzarella to add in, but a bit dry and – yuk

• posted by outrunner2k7
    on

No problem Venusflytrap. Ours didn’t look quite as good as that pro picture but tasted great. We’ve just made another batch but rolled it out flat as a pizza base!

Yes, the Dietdoctor site is great with a heap of free info on it and perfect for BSDers. 🙂

• posted by Elsie 45
    on

Burger soya and linseed is 11 carbs but that is a large slice

• posted by Venusflytrap
    on

Hi, Elsie 45. Burger? Should that be Burgen? A loaf I love. Not had it for a long time, though, or thought of it either. It’s this low carb business, ruining my bread eating habits!

• posted by Elsie 45
    on

Yes meant Burgen. There is also something called cloud bread . A bit like an omelette. Just google it.

• posted by Venusflytrap
    on

To be honest, I think I will stick to the poppadum with the occasional melba toast or slice of bread. Stayed at son’s flat recently to find that he had bought a large white sliced which we hadn’t tried in years. He had butter too. We found we didn’t actually like it any more, even wrapped around as a bacon sandwich. Would have thought that was one of the UK’s icon dishes! So if I am going to have bread in future it will have to be a seeded or a good wholemeal. Found out I didn’t like semi-skimmed milk at all any more, when I bought huge amounts by accident instead of skimmed. Can’t rely on anything these days, not even my own tastebuds!

• posted by jillyB
    on

Hey !
    Don’t knock our Vegemite !!! Every red blooded Aussie has Vegemite in their pantry. We start as toddlers and go through life with a jar. When I lived in America for a couple of years my Mum had to send me a jar everynow and again.
    Bliss ! Although my American friends weren’t exactly keen….one said it looked like axle grease.

jillyB

• posted by Timmy
    on

I think Brits are the same with Marmite JillyB, and I used to have to send it out to my brother who has lived in Portugal, Italy the States and now France!

I think the French have a similar view to Marmite as the US to vegemite! Which is kind of ironic as a marmite is a french cooking pot.

• posted by pancakeorganics
    on

Thank you. I will definitely try this. It looks very so delicious to make this.

• posted by Hopeful
    on

Lidl are now doing a high protein bread roll and it only has 9 carbs. It’s really filling so you only need one and they are really nice.

Hopeful

• posted by carina62
    on

Yes, I bought some for the first time last week and put them in the freezer. I took one out last night and had it for lunch today with cheese, it was lovely and when I tested my BS 2 hours later, it was a lovely 7.

• posted by Frog
    on

Picking up on an old thread on low carb bread rather than posting randomly in another thread – I have just had a really nice low carb bread – 3.8g of carb per (admittedly smallish) slice.
    When I have some space in my freezer I will get some more. It lasted quite well, I had the last slice today and I bought it a week ago, but was tempting, so putting it away in the freezer will be a better option!

LivLife Seriously Seeded bread
    http://www.livlifefoods.co.uk/

Waitrose stores nationwide, selected Morrisons stores and online at Ocado.com

• posted by Peapod
    on

I am hoping to buy this tomorrow. Making a trip to Waitrose , hope they have it .
    On week one but really missing bread so hoping this will help me adjust.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

If you’re in the US, ThinSlim foods has a line of exceptional low carb, high fiber breads, bagels, buns, etc. Their thin-sliced loaf makes the greatest grilled cheese sandwich ever because the slices are sooo thinly cut they instantly toast right up. Super crispy on the outside, super melty on the inside. Two slices are 50 calories and 2 grams net carbs.

http://www.thinslimfoods.com/

Please log in or register to post a reply.