Low carb bread?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Peapod
    on

Esnecca,The ThinSlim bread sounds great , a bagel with smoked salmon and cream cheese would be heaven !

Frog, I couldn’t get the Livlife bread at Waitrose, think my nearest branch is too small so will try Morrisons. Failing that will wait until I visit my daughter in London to get some. Might do me good to go a bit longer without bread !

• posted by Frog
    on

Hi Peapod

that’s a shame – I think I got mine in a larger branch (I am in in the fortunate position of having five branches within easy walking distance – the closest, less than five minutes away, is small but oh so convenient).
    When I couldn’t find something a few weeks ago (low carb ice cream, which I was worried that they might stop stocking) I emailed customer services, and they came back with the closest branch to stock it. Not only does it let you know where you can get it, it demonstrates potential demand for the product,

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Peapod, that’s exactly the bagel I made a couple of days ago! Only I added a teaspoon of horseradish and a small chopped green onion. It was sooo good. 🙂

• posted by Peapod
    on

Hi Frog,
    I had no luck at Morrisons either so will keep searching for the bread. I will do what you did and contact customer services to ask if they can stock it. I saw the low carb ice cream in Holland and Barrett but at £6.99 thought I would give it a miss. It seems to be cheaper on the Waitrose website so may have to make a longer trip to a larger branch. You are lucky to have so many branches nearby !

Hi Esnecca, that bagel does sound good. Hope low carb bagels arrive in the UK very soon !

• posted by Peapod
    on

Oppo ice cream is on offer at £3.32 on Ocado. I tried to order some, but guess what, they don’t deliver to my area !
    Destined not to be able to get any of these nice low carb foods I think.
    Have fired off e mails to Waitrose and Morrisons about the lack of Livlife bread in their stores too.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Peapod, there’s an online UK store that sells a lot of the same low carb brands available in the US (Mama Lupe’s tortillas make great veggie wraps, and Joseph’s pitas, while paper thin, are genuinely delicious), and they have bagels. Fair warning: they are not the same as the ones I get and I had to try several different bagel brands that were doughy, texturally suspect and artificially sweetened with weird aftertastes before I found the ones I truly liked at ThinSlim, so I have no idea if you’ll find them worthwhile. The stats look good though — 120 calories each, 2 g net carb, 14 g fiber — so it might be worth having a look.

Here’s the website: http://www.lowcarbmegastore.com/

Here are the bagels: http://www.lowcarbmegastore.com/cgi-bin/sh000001.pl?WD=bagel&PN=Low-Carb-Multigrain-Bagels-340g-Pack-of-6-LK105%2ehtml#SID=121

• posted by Frog
    on

I saw livlife in a localish budgens too this afternoon

– and you can buy it direct from them, but delivery makes it a bit £££
    http://www.livlifefoods.co.uk/
    contacting them directly may reveal any local independent stockists

Also, you know the microwave pouches of rice?
    I saw pouches of cauli rice like that for the first time (also in the budgens, they had quite a lot of healthy stuff)
    I was going to get some, to keep in the cupboard for ’emergencies’ – but I could probably chop and freeze some for that.

If anyone has tried it, do post what it was like.

• posted by Peapod
    on

Thanks so much for the links Esnecca and researching this for me. I will have a good look at them today.

Frog, thanks for letting me know about Budgens. Sadly I don’t have a Budgens here either however I am going to Bath in 3 weeks so will go to the supermarkets before I return home and load up the car with any low carb products I can find . If I’m travelling 300 miles will make sure I buy enough to fill the freezer !

• posted by Peapod
    on

Waitrose have got back to me, their store which is 17 miles away stocks Livlife so will make a trip there and buy enough loaves to make it worth the journey. Hoping they have the cauliflower mash too.

• posted by Peapod
    on

Just had a phone call from Morrisons. They no longer stock Livlife in any of their stores due to poor sales.

• posted by colinT
    on

Hello everyone,
    I haven’t touched wheat for 1,5 month now! (I have some proven allergies to wheat/barley/corn not gluten related)
    But it’s getting to me to the point that I’ve been trying to make my own bread with a bread mix from Doves (rice, potato, tapioca) but I never get it right.
    And now on top of it, I watched some video interviews with William Davis (from wheatbelly) and I feel even worse because he mentioned that all other alternatives to wheat are not good for you as they also raise your BS!

Help! I feel that I don’t know what bread to eat! I miss my breakfast, soup at night, and my sarnies!
    How does everyone handle this ?

• posted by FatCat
    on

Hi, I haven’t read right through all the posts, so apologies if this is already there. I’ve recently had to investigate very low carb recipes for a ketogenic diet for a relative.
    There’s a delicious flax bread recipe on the Matthew’s Friends website – in the Classical, savoury snacks/sides section – called ‘Oven baked keto bread’. It’s a bit like a savoury cake, I’ve made it successfully several times. You can dip it in soup!
    There’s also low carb bread recipes on the ‘Diet Doctor’ website, which look interesting, but I haven’t tried them.

• posted by Frog
    on

I’ve saved a recipe on this site that we’ve made a couple of times at the diabetic cookery class – you can either sweeten it with 20g of raisins, which does make it a kind of cakey treat, or with Stevia. Both are good

“Low Carb grain free soda bread”

• posted by Peapod
    on

Thanks FatCat and Frog. Will be experimenting with some recipes at the weekend.

• posted by Peapod
    on

I have finally managed to get my hands on a loaf of Livlife bread ! Can’t wait to try it with a poached egg, spinach just isn’t the same. Hope I’m not going to be disappointed with it but I am really missing bread.

• posted by TumtumP
    on

I’m waiting for a delivery of Protein Pow protein powder ( pea and whey protein) She does LOTS of recipes – bread, pancakes, cakes,biscuits, bars etc. I’m hoping there will be a few gems to try. I guess the only thing to keep an eye on is not overdoing the protein and keeping eye on fibre. I don’t have a sweet tooth but the bread recipe looked easy- couple of scoops of the powder, egg white, whole egg. She also used cooked broccoli. Looked yummy.

• posted by Animalmad
    on

May try the livelife seeded bread I’ve just read about on the forum. Be ideal for work lunches with baked beans. What do people think ? Will I get away with eating this ?

• posted by loversghost
    on

I generally use the Sukrin bread mix which is about 1g carbs per slice and is really easy to do – you add water to the mix (it comes with its own foil container to bake in) and you bake a small loaf in around an hour. Tastes fab toasted and with lovely hummus and other toppings.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Animalmad, I don’t know what livelife seeded bread is, but baked beans are very high in carbs and sugars. There are some legume dishes in the BSD recipe books, none of them made with brown sugar, molasses, raisins, etc. I avoid beans altogether because I keep my daily carb very low (less than 20 grams) but other BSDers make them and enjoy them with no deleterious effects. If you do want to eat beans they should be savory, not sweet.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Livlife bread is pretty good if you are missing the real thing, I think it is quite low in carbs, and certainly toasts satisfactorily. I haven’t had it often, and it isn’t spectacularly tasty, but makes a reasonable facsimile, of ordinary sliced bread.

• posted by Animalmad
    on

Thanks Mixnmatch I may buy some and keep in the freezer. I’m struggling with not having carbs for breakfast. I’m just not good with eggs, so may cave occasionally 😕.

• posted by Ozruth
    on

Try Luvtcook’s ‘Easy Savoury Breakfast Bun’ in the recipe archive on this site. It’s easy and really works. Good with sweet or savoury-I had half with Mushrooms and Bacon for lunch today. Give it a go for a change. Especially good toasted-I have half one day and the other half the next.

• posted by mark.atkins1985
    on

you need somthing like this:
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/V74aZ9sEeQu9HX243
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/VOu6Mk7q6i72zix93

I buy this bread from Aldi in Australia, it kicks the hell out of almost all other breads on the market with only 5g per serve (1.4g sugar) in a 92g serving

It is a german Bread that I have found the equivalent for in an IGA here in australia as well, its identical so must be a rebrand for Aldi

I would consider importing it to the UK if customs allow, it tastes the same when frozen and thawed, or frozen then toasted.
    The taste is not horrible like some health foods, it is almost on par with a very grainy bread and has no after taste or sour taste.
    I use it as toast, its much nicer like this, holds heat incredibly well and is perfect for:

eggs and bacon on toast
    Marmite on toast
    Ham and cottage cheese on toast
    Lea and Perrins w/ Cheddar cheese on toast
    Sandwich toasties come out great too with cheese to bind it all together
    and if you want to be naughty, but not too naughty, Baked Beans is great as well (with or without the eggs and bacon), but for carb avoiding I do this very rarely.

If someone finds that German bread, or can make it themselves – Business idea 😉 please share so I can alert other forums like: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/bakers-life-85-lower-carb-bread-in-aldi-australia.127516/

Good luck hunting, ill let you know if I find it in England/UK for anyone

Mark

• posted by LisaK
    on

I like this bread in Germany — Mestemacher Eiweißbrot. Several varieties, such as with almond, walnuts, carrots, flax seeds…

Please log in or register to post a reply.