Recipes for One

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Alan B
    on

I have looked at a couple of cookery books for diabetics and while the recipes meet the diabetic requirement, many of them are for two, four or sometimes six to eight people. Diabetes is a single person illness and it is unlikely to have family groups of four or six with diabetes in a single family (although there may be exceptions). I don’t have storage in which to put extra unused portions (which may be forgotten about).
    I feel it would be more difficult to sub-divide a recipe for six than it would be to intuitively ‘double-up’ from one to more than one.
    Delia Smith did a recipe book for one. What I would like to see (and haven’t been able to find one) is a similar cookery book but for diabetics and to include energy and nutrition details for each meal.

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi Alan B
    Have you thought of making the meals and freezing the second, third or fourth meal (depending how many the recipe is for ) that way you can build up a reserve for when you have no energy to cook or visitors, any reason really, I often cook recipes that are for more than I need, then I freeze the spare meals, worth a try?

• posted by Alan B
    on

Thank you for your suggestion, Christi1948
    Well, that is the problem. As a single person I see no point in cooking for six (say) and sub-dividing the meal to get one portion with the other five portions stored in limited freezer space. How many multiple person meals will it take to ‘overflow’ the freezer?
    At my age (79) I would be inclined to forget what I’ve stored and where.
    Then there is the question of how to divide the meal so that each portion has similar kcal. and nutrition amounts.
    It would be far easier, and more sensible, I feel, to cook for one in the first place.

Regards,

Alan B

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi – a quick search on amazon showed the following books for the single diabetic as available. I guess you could also get at least one of these via order with a high street book shop if necessary.

Diabetic Cooking For One: 170+ Recipes, Diabetics Diet,Diabetic Cookbook For One,Gluten Free Cooking, Wheat Free…by Don Orwell
    Diabetic Cooking for One and Two1 by Michelle Berriedale-Johnson
    Diabetic Cooking for One: Delicious Recipes for the Single Diabetic by Sue Hall

• posted by Alan B
    on

Wow! Why didn’t I think of that? (Must be the age, y’know).
    Thanks SunnyB, I’ll look into those.

• posted by Alan B
    on

I have found a source of literally hundreds of recipes at https://www.diabetes.org.uk/Guide-to-diabetes/Recipes/. They are sub-divided into various groups, e.g. ‘Sugar Free’, ‘Gluten Free’, etc.

My main problem is that most cookery books use non-metric measures – a teaspoon of this or 1/3 cup of that, etc., particularly so with American publications. I always use metric and weigh everything. I use the UK ‘back of pack’ nutrition information entered into a database from which is extracted accurate energy and nutrition for the quantity of each food item used.

Since we are dealing with a small quantity of 800 kcalories per day, variations in ‘traditional’ measuring items – cups, spoons – from one country to another could result in a greater or lesser proportion of the 800 kcalories required.

Please log in or register to post a reply.