Recipe measurements

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by aquatex
    on

Quick question about the measurements used for the book’s recipes: measurements given in “ounces” do not specify whether that is weight or volume, for example, in the US edition, pg. 199, “Trout on Lime and Cilantro Crushed Peas”. I take “7 ounces trout fillets” to be 7 ounces by weight; however, the recipe also calls for “7 ounces frozen peas”. Seven ounces of peas by volume would be a bit more than 3/4 cup/6 ounces by volume, but 7 ounces of frozen peas by weight would likely be considerably more, thus lowering or, worse, bumping, the calorie value of each serving of the recipe. Also, in the breakfast recipes, there is a standard call for “5 ounces Greek yogurt” . Again, is that 5 ounces by volume (just over 1/2 cup) or 5 ounces by weight? Or, pg. 197, “Zucchini Ribbons with Shrimp”: “7 ounces shrimp” I take to be 7 ounces by weight, but “7 ounces canned cannellini beans, … ” would that be 7 ounces by weight, or by volume.
    Or, since I will be cooking “real food”, does it matter … so long as I vet the volume/weight and its respective calorie count, ensuring that I do not exceed 800/day?

I realize this must sound a bit OCD, but it will help immensely in menu planning. I am a former chef, and would dearly love to both revise my current recipe repertoire and begin to develop new ones.

Thanks a million. Looking forward to hearing from all of you.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi aquatex

Welcome to the global BSD family ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Not thought about that before, but I automatically take ‘ounces’ to be weight, not volume. For liquids (fluid ounces) it would be volume. I’m in the UK, but I think the same would apply in the US.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi aquatex, welcome to the forums. When you have come to terms with all these measures can we hope to see some of your recipes posted to the website? ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by aquatex
    on

So we’re looking at 5 fluid ounces of yogurt (10 tablespoons)? And measurements for meats (obvious, those) and cheese, fruits, vegetables, etc. will be X ounces weight?

This must sound a bit twitty to some; however, if I use your pre-printed recipe and err in volume vs. weight measurement, it can make a difference, sometimes substantial, in the calorie value of the food. And 800, with a rounding margin of 10, is the daily allowance, no? If it is sufficiently important that a book be written from the research, intended to make this critical tool more widely available, then twitty questions about measurement of ingredients in the recipes included in the books are not only fair, they are essential for compliance.

Thanks.

• posted by Venusflytrap
    on

In the olden days when I was looking at translating American recipes to UK measurements, I found that cottage cheese tubs were very useful. I used the 8oz size as a cup and the 4oz size as a half cup. Now we’re in “new money”, I suppose that would be a 250g carton as a cup and the 125g tub as a half. My reasoning goes something like this. The US pint is 16 fl oz or half a litre or 500ml. The US measurements are all by volume rather than by weight. So it might be worth checking that the 250g carton is 250ml in size, just to be accurate. Our pints are 20 fl oz so don’t swop in so easily.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Clever thinking venusflytrap!

Have you seen our petition to promote this diet for diabetics? It has it’s own thread which has information and a link to the petition. ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Christi1948
    on

You can get a set of ‘cup” measures from most kitchen shops, if you are in uk try Lakeland kitchen shop, have a look on line, www. Lakeland.co.uk cheers everyone

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Sorry just re-read the thread and realised its started by someone in America
    Again I can only apologies

• posted by aquatex
    on

Ooof! I feel like a party crasher. Sorry for the confusion about not having mentioned that my measurement questions originated from the other side of the pond. Your responses are, however, most cordial and helpful, and I thank you for them. Christi, an additional thanks for the mention of the petition and the thread where I can find it. We could certainly use that here as well.

And, as for my Yankdom, as we say here at home: “I’m American by birth, but Texan by the grace of God.”

Cheers!

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi aquatex, re the petition, is there something similar you could start back in the U S of A?
    I think the US and Oz have similar problems re state and nation but you could start to rock texas!!! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by aquatex
    on

Hashimoto, would love nothing more that to shake up Texas on this subject. It is needed … in more arenas than just this one!!!

Please log in or register to post a reply.