RE-FOCUS, One Week At A Time…Starting Oct. 23

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by alliecat
    on

At Verano’s suggestion, we’re changing titles, but not the excellent company on this thread! Welcome, new members
    and old. We have work to get done by New Year’s, so let’s do it together 🙂
    Kazz and V, great past week for both of you. I think the road trip is working!
    I’ll be back when the sun comes up! (4:00am here)

Allie

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Thanks for setting this up, Allie. I like the word “re-focus” in the title! Great idea, it grabs you!

• posted by wendleg
    on

Morning all
    I will be in Spain as you know for a Week from 24th to the 31st so I will definitely be focusing on those sea food and tapas menus. I intend to enjoy myself on the break but I have lost 8.5 kilos since I began the program and don’t want to regain if I can avoid it. See what happens when we get back ….maybe another fasting attempt ?
    All the best everyone and well done on your successes x

• posted by LollyT
    on

‘ Refocus’ and ‘one week at a time’ sounds great to me! I’m towards the end of my second round and weight loss has really stalled. Lost 1 1/2 stone the first round and only a couple pounds this round. So I’m feeling pretty crappy about it all

• posted by alliecat
    on

Welcome, Lolly! A few small tweaks may be all that’s needed to get things moving in a positive direction for
    you. You have great instincts to join an active “challenge thread”, because there are a lot of experienced
    “maintainers here. Let’s figure this out! Help is on the way 🙂

Allie

• posted by Verano
    on

Thanks for setting this week’s challenge Allie. Refocusing is always good. This week I will be focusing on staying on track. I really do have to refocus on the ‘Why’. So ‘Why?’ because I need to improve my health more. My frivolous ‘Why?’ is to fit comfortably, and look good, in white trousers! A way off yet but I will get there in the end.
    Have a good week everyone.

• posted by GangreneHeart
    on

Hello. I’d like to join this group. I started BSD October 1st officially and I’ve been doing alright, but someone suggested joining a group to help support and encourage me through the tough times.
    I started at about 185lb and I’m 174.6 now. I’d like to get to 150 and see how I feel. I am doing a fitness blender program for my exercise and I just adjusted my diet to have my carbs under 20 grams. It would be great to be 170 by November 1st.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Nice to see you here, GangreneHeart! Didn’t you change that to GoodHeart? 🙂 4.5 lbs in a week IS possible,
    if you achieve a whoosh effect this week . Keeping your water up there and restricting the carbs is the max
    that you can do to make that happen, but weight loss isn’t linear, and sometimes our bodies have a mind of
    their own. All we can be certain of is that it WILL HAPPEN if we don’t deviate from our plan! Lots of support
    here, so let us know how you’re doing. Very best wishes,

Allie

• posted by happyitsworking
    on

Allie that title is perfect because that is what I’m doing this week, refocusing on my eating. I managed a 22 hour fast today and have my eating already entered into myfitness pal for tomorrow.👍

• posted by GEGE
    on

Hi I’m looking to get started with the BSD. been trying on my own for to long hoping the support of the group will help me 😊👍

• posted by JGwen
    on

Welcome GEGE, you will find that this forum is very supportive. If you shout out for help or want to share your successes with people on the same journey, someone will be along lend a helping hand or share in the dance around the kitchen in delight.
    ————–
    I realise I know what my focus is for the next stages. – I went dress shopping yesterday 🙁 Not something I enjoy at the best of times. – The good news is that I can fit into clothes in most dress shops. – The bad news is that somewhere along the line someone has swapped out my legs for tree trunks. (Unless the dress shops have decided to replace their mirrors with ones from a fairground, which I sort of think unlikely.)
    So I guess the further good news is that I gained extra incentive to keep on keeping on, didn’t think about comfort eating, —– well actually did wonder if I wanted to and realised that I wasn’t hungry and didn’t fancy eating anything comfort or not…., and have a new aim. To not only be able to do up the clothes to be able to step out of the shop dressing room without the shop assistant musing about teaming a dress with a long skirt or trousers.

• posted by alliecat
    on

The warmest of welcomes, GeGe! You’ve found the right place 🙂 These forums are full of success stories…
    Have you read MMosley’s book? The BSD is pretty flexible, when you familiarize yourself with the basic
    principles of high (healthy) fat, moderate protein, and low carb. Support is always at hand, so if you would
    share your profile with us, we’re here to help! Very best,

Allie

Happyitsworking – 22 hrs? That’s wonderful! I’ve never gotten past that number, and it took me almost
    2 years to get there….I was focusing last week on getting back to daily walks, and this week the re-focus
    will be on not being so distracted and forgetting about consumption of 3 liters of water per day. These
    weekly challenges are what keep me accountable to myself!

Forward, everyone 🙂

• posted by Eileen27
    on

23rd Oct y’day was our 47th wedding anniversary. Looking back to 23rd Oct 2017 I have lost only 4lbs- yet I’ve been on this diet all the time! Well obviously not at all perfectly! So today is the last day I refocus again. Aiming to lose 8lbs by the end of Nov and then we’ll take it from there. Lost 1st 12lbs first time around starting in Jan 2017 so I must be able to do it. I’m sure joining this group will help to refocus. Good luck everyone

• posted by alliecat
    on

JGwen, you wouldn’t even have gone into a dress shop a year ago 🙂 !! I’m waiting to hear that you’ve found
    “the garment” for the wedding…Please don’t leave it to long, or you’ll talk yourself out of going, and your
    friends would be so disappointed! We all have regions of the body that we don’t like. I’m guessing there
    will be people at the wedding that you haven’t seen in awhile, and they will delighted by the newer version
    of you 🙂

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Allie,
    You are quite right, in the last year I have gone from looking in the windows of interesting dress shops wishfully before heading on to shops selling xxxl teeshirts and track suit bottoms, to entering interesting dress shops, to trying on dresses and they do up. All positive steps in my journey.
    I don’t think I will go clothes shopping again for the wedding reception. – Goth styles involve fitted waists, and that style doesn’t suit me yet, (and thats not going to change in the next week) – So instead I am going to brush away the cobwebs and blow the dust off the selection of nice, classic clothes in my wardrobe that I haven’t been able to wear for years. – None of the people at the event will have seen me in any of these outfits before anyway, and my aim is that they will eventually be too big, so it would be better to wear them now. –

• posted by alliecat
    on

Very sensible, JGwen! I think you have this covered 🙂 I just needed to remind you how far you’ve come!
    We can sometimes lose track of that, but that’s what friends are for. xxx

on

Allie, thanks for the warm welcome.

GEGE, welcome! I also just joined so I hope we can be encouraging to each other.

JGwen, I’m also not a fan of my thighs but I just try to remember that one day this week be completely different! Keep it up! I’m also dress shipping in my closet for of gowns I stopped fitting a long time ago. It’s exciting, isn’t it? Seeing how stylish we used to be…

For myself, I started a reward program to save towards a new wardrobe for when I reach my goal. I’ll post it below. It kinda feels like things are at a standstill, but with my recent lowering of came from 50g to 20g, I hope to zoom into the 170s soon.
    My reward? $.50 for everyday I stick to my diet and full dollar if I also workout that day. $7 a week, $30/$31 a month, around $360 per year. I will do bonus as well for meeting goals: $5 for the monthly goal, another $5 for the dream goal, another $10 for ultimate goal. $1 for everyday I’m early too. $5 bonus for dieting and exercising every day of the month. $5 for not gaining any lost weight back after one month. All bonuses lost if weight regained.

October
    Starting weight: 185.4
    Current weight: 174.6
    Monthly goal: 179 (achieved:10/7/18)
    Dream goal: 175 (achieved:10/12/18)
    Ultimate goal: 165 (achieved:)
    End of first stage goal: 150 (achieved:)
    Final overall goal: 125 (achieved:)
    Earnings: $16.50
    Bonuses: monthly $5 bonus (10/7/18), $5 dream (10/12/18), early bird 1 ($24), early bird 2 ($19)
    Current total: $69.50
    Number of missed workout days: 10 (1 sick)
    Number of diet cheat days: 5 (2 sick)
    This month’s motto: One day at a time leads to a month of success.

• posted by happyitsworking
    on

Allie the 22hrs. Was easy because I was not home for the day. My dh and I had a hair app. In the morning and after that we went to bingo. So we never ate until 4:30pm and had stop eating at 6:30 the night before.

JGWen I feel the same way about my legs. Besides being fat they are also flabby, and I find it hard to believe that no matter how much weight I lose they will still be flabby. When l go to weddings I always were dress pants and a nice top. I have not worsen a dress in over 30 years.

My refocus this week is to keep my carbs. down to 50 or less.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Happyitsworking, restricting your carbs to <50/day, is a good place to start. You will soon know if you are
    insulin resistant, and have to limit them even further. At 5’7″ and 285 lbs, I could never have imagined that
    one day I could leave the tunics and wide legged trousers behind, and be prancing around in leggings, and
    standing with my feet and ankles together, with nothing touching all the way up!! Absolutely anything is
    possible with this way of life. Dare to dream, and the day comes when it’s all possible. It took me 17 years
    to gain that amount of weight, and a mere 10 months to lose 50% of myself. I consider that a miracle….
    It’s here for us all, and this community will help you get to wherever you wish to go…Hitch your wagon to
    our star, and we’ll see you through to the finish line, whatever that means to you 🙂

Allie

• posted by KazzUK
    on

GHeart – what a great idea, financial rewards! Do you subtract anything if you don’t meet your goals? I think that would help me further. I’m going to steal your reward system!
    Rather than the legs/thighs issue, I will have an “apron” hanging from my waist I’m sure. Being an an apple shape with a waist wider than my hips. Mind you, I’ve not measured recently. That’s where I’m hoping intermittent fasting/autophagy will help.
    JGwen – you have had an amazing 12 months of achievements! You are a role model! I hope you find the perfect outfit!
    Have a good day, everyone.
    Kazzeexx

• posted by Prinnoi
    on

Hello all! Newbie here! On day 4 of Fast 800 I think I’m doing it right (have read Mosely’s book from cover to cover and am using MyFitnessPal to log. Am hitting the 800cals (except today! eep! 7 over) and have not felt hungry at all… so I’m wondering if I have set my goals correctly? Most importantly, should I be aiming for 30g of carbs or 50 per day? And what portion of fats and protein?

My stats are
    Calories Carbs Fat Protein Sugar Fiber
    800 50 31 80 56 25
    Thanks for the help, especially to the questions I’m sure you’ve answered a zillion times! 😛 I have searched the forums but can’t find an answer.

Loving the chatter here – so many successes to follow. Can’t wait!

Cheers! And Hi! xx

• posted by EclecticRajistani
    on

Hi all,

It’s been an emotional busy two weeks. I have mostly done well but then fell off the wagon for about three days but I’m here again. Someone mentioned self sabotage reckon that’s me. Although, I just have to pick myself up and start again. I really think I am addicted to sugar in all its forms and this stop start is going to be my way of trying to break a habit of a lifetime. Still three days off is an improvement on the 6 days streak I had! I havent weighed myself will do that next week. Will refocus as the title suggests and keep on going! It’s hard but I know it works. My mother in law commented on my loss. And that’s saying something. I know I should focus on the short term goals but the 4 stone seems like a mountain for me and one that I see everyday. But it’s a marathon as you all say
    It’s lovely to hear new voices and of course the experienced ones too!

Fellow newbies, this is a great support group no question too silly or small. I may not be able to answer fully as I’m trying to learn new ways. This journey is full of highs, lows and your in-between anything goes! I have lost over a stone and you will lose weight on this! Don’t compare, don’t fixate on the scales and take it steady this weight has taken years to put on and it takes time to lose it but you will! Read why we get fat? I find knowledge is definitely power.

JGwen congrats on the dresses fitting you! Can’t wait for that day. Self body image is a tough one, be kind to yourself. Loving every part of you is the way forward. You didn’t comfort eat and that shows your strength! I’ll take some of that please! I’m with you on the keep on keeping on! A dress from your wardrobe sounds like a plan.

Wendleg hope your enjoying Spain! Been an up and down week but I’m along for the journey again. Hope you have had a good week.

Right, need to make me a tea this cold and sore throat is hurting. Thanks for listening to my woes everyone. Refocusing and being kind to oneself is the theme for the week.
    Xx

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Well done, Eclectic – I have fallen and climbed back on many, many times over the last 12 months, but still as passionate! My problem is being a breadaholic. I don’t want to tempt fate, but I think I’ve finally cracked it, but it’s taken a LONG time for me to get there!
    Hi Prinnoi, a warm welcome to you! Can you tell us a little more detail, such as are you pre-diabetic, T2 or just want to lose weight?
    Thanks!
    Kazzeexx

on

Hi Kazzee,

Thanks for that. Honestly, without this group I would not be trying again. As the lived experience speaks more to me than case studies in a book or the I just did this and it all fell off, The end. Which I’m guessing isn’t realistic or honest. So thank you for your honesty. Mine is cake, certain sweets & red wine. Although funnily enough this 3 day streak it wasn’t satisfying and I didnt eat as much as normally. In fact felt a bit sick. So I think 😬 I might not be in such a rush to come off the wagon, here’s hoping!! That’s great you have cracked it and I’m so happy to hear that you can do it, gives me much needed hope! Your staying power is incredible!

Bread, we all have our Achilles heels. I realise so much of what I do with food is not all down to will power but genes and social conditioning has a lot to do with it! But knowing how refined carbohydrates and sugars affects my insulin levels and body weight is knowledge that definitely helps to reign it in. On that note it’s time for my first plate of food for the day. Egg, portabello mushroom and some extra virgin olive chilli infused oil. Happy Eating xx

on

Lolly T, Gege, Happy, Goodheart, Prinnoi & Elieen27! Congrats on your journey so far. It’s made eaiser with all on aboard for sure! Look forward to hearing how your week goes.

Ps Verano, like your why! I’ll add my one is to wear my purple above the knee dress circa 2008 👗

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hi everyone!
    Eclectic, it’s so good to see you back in the fold! Wendy and I have been watching out for you 🙂 I tend
    to agree with you about testimonials…They don’t resonate much with me, either! I think there is a natural
    tendency to include only the most dramatic of stories….I have the dubious distinction (very dubious) of
    being the “biggest loser” actively posting here. It’s altogether embarrassing to have to admit to losing
    145lbs. I continue to share this information however, because I passionately believe in this lifestyle. I
    have a special place in my heart for “ladies with lots to lose”. There is nothing special about me, and
    I know you can accomplish anything you wish to. Your little purple dress is within your reach!

Hello Prinnoi, and welcome! I hope you’re enjoying this thread. We’re a lively group that travels together
    from week to week. In response to your questions, there is no exact number of carbs specified in Mosley’s
    book, but it’s generally recognized that a low carb diet is <50g/day. Many of us have had to take it to
    <20 however, to see the kind of losses we were hoping for. I’m very insulin resistant, so <20g is what
    was the most effective for me. At that rate, I consistently loss .5lb per day. You may not have to go that
    route, however. You are very much on track to be considering your macros (protein, carbs and fats) .
    Keep in mind that this is low carb, moderate protein, high healthy fat way of eating. Too much protein
    gets stored in the body as fat, the same way carbs do. I think that your proteins are rather high at 80g.
    As a very general rule, 50g is reasonable on an 800cal. diet. I think the simplest way of thinking about
    this is to set you protein and carb levels, and use healthy fats to fill in the rest. I never counted fat gr. but
    think mine were about 40g/day. This formula may be used to more precisely calculate protein requirements
    however: 1g of protein for every kg of IDEAL body weight. I think other formulas exist, but I’m not familiar
    with them. Using the calculation, the max allowed protein gr. for me should be 62, but even 18 months into
    maintenance I usually only eat 50-55g. I hope this helps? Very best to you!

Allie

on

what do you guys do when you have an off or bad day?

Today wasn’t really up to par. My husband must think I’m either losing my skills in the kitchen or trying to poison him because he made a big fuss about me tasting the food I made him. I feel like it threw my whole day off. His diet is carb heavy so even a bite here and there ruins my plans to stick to bad.

I’m going to try to talk to him about it tonight so hopefully in the future he will understand better when I say I don’t want to try the dish. 😢😤

• posted by alliecat
    on

That must be difficult, GoodHeart. If you’ve had an off day, it’s best to pick it up again at your next meal. I’m
    trying to put myself in your shoes, and I think what I would try to do would be a) explain to your O/H what
    insulin resistance is b) tell him that you’ve joined a community of people that support each other in changing
    their lives to become healthy and c) that you would really appreciate his support, in the form of not encouraging
    you to eat the food that he does. If he isn’t amenable, he may become so with the passage of time, as he
    sees the positive changes in you. In the meantime, you have all of us here for support 🙂 Best,

Allie

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi GoodHeart, How about watching some of the podcasts that there are links to on the take a look at this and selecting the most appropriate one to show your husband? – Early this year I posted a link to a podcast by Dr Bikman that may be helpful, or there is a podcast by Dr Fung which describes the way the body processes what we eat in terms of describing the operation of a power station that is very accessible, but he has created so many podcasts I can’t remember which of the podcasts that one is, maybe someone else can help point to the one.
    The way insulin controls if the body can access body fat as a fuel source is something that most people are not aware of. Sometimes people are more willing to accept a point if they hear it from an expert – rather than their spouse 🙂 And its easier to suggest watching a video, than reading a book.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hola everyone !
    I have been reading your posts and sending this from my phone .Hopefully it will work. Spain is fab. We are staying in the centre of Malaga which is lovely and there is plenty to see on our wanderings. We are settled in our room by 10pm however when the rest of Malaga is just getting warmed up 😂.There is a very friendly happy atmosphere here. Yesterday we took a bus to a beach further out and had grilled sardines and squid a la plancha. Yum. Previous evening fishy tapas and some salad. So far so good but Allie I think my protein intake is MASSIVE and way over what I should probably be consuming even though the carbs are low. I will have to see how this affects the scales when I get home. We went to a beautiful market yesterday …I would normally stock up and be on my 3rd fruit bowl by now but believe me I bought NADA! ! I sorrowfully eyed the plums …kaki ( persimmon ) ..mangoes and especially the custard fruit but walked on 😢. I have to keep the term ‘ confectionery on a tree’in my head. OH bought very smelly cheese .I think I have kicked other carb cravings for bread ..chips etc and sugar I accept is BAD but fruit still tempts me. Eclectic! !!! Good to see you. We were worried. Hope you are feeling better. Yes food is bound up with all sorts of emotional issues but keep strong and leap up onto the wagon anytime you have a wobbly. There will always be a helping hand. Well done on your victories and lots of love to anyone who is struggling . Yes Goodheart you need to get OH on board so it doesn’t affect your resolution and determination. Don’t give in !

• posted by Natalie
    on

Oh dear, I’ve just had a very off-plan couple of days. So I now feel tired and sick. I think what triggered it was finding out my blood test results, confirmed what I was expecting that I am not intolerant to gluten which is great news (not that I plan to eat a lot of gluten, but coeliacs have to be so vigilant) but somehow I then gave myself permission to eat a chocolate eclair. Then some cheezles. And a few other things over 36 hours. Like those videos of a hamster following a trail of treats along the floor and stuffing its little cheeks until they look ready to burst. I just haven’t got a handle on my carb cravings this time around. I’ve actually put on a couple of kilos in the past couple of months. It’s quite discouraging. Oh well; every day, every meal, every minute is a chance to start again. I’ll begin by throwing away the rest of this nougat. It’s not even very nice.

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Prinnoi,
    I am a little confused by your stats. – you list both carbs and sugars and have different figures for both of them. I know that food packaging rules are different between countries, and there can be some confusion as a result on working out the ideal macros for carb intake. – I find fatsecret helpful, because it does all the calculations for you so that the carb figure is the sugar figure.
    It can take a little time to get your head around making sure you get enough healthy fat in the mix. – For so long I battled unsuccessfully to control my weight following the cals in/ cals out mantra and fat bad. It does take a little while to get your head around target macros which include not shying away from healthy fat in the diet.

• posted by LollyT
    on

Hi guys, wow I forgot how helpful being part of this group is. I already feel so much more motivated! Thank you 😀
    Allie your advice on grams of carbs and protein is really helpful. I had a look back over my log of the last 2 rounds and I was shocked to see, despite ups and downs, I only lost 1lb in the last round. I re-read the book and of course, loads of bad habits had crept in without me realising. So despite eating a very low calorie diet, I was eating the wrong things (flavoured yogurt for example) so of course I wasn’t making any progress. So I’m back to basics now, following the book to the T and determined to see results by Christmas!

• posted by Verano
    on

Natalie I’m also having a self-sabotaging spell. Don’t know why. Just one of those things but no reason why we can’t refocus just for one day, then another and another! Snacking has been my downfall this week so I have a new mantra …..
    ‘Snacks must go ….. just say NO!’ So easy really , maybe we should both give it a go.

• posted by LollyT
    on

Verano that’s so true, snacks seem so insignificant, but I really notice a massive difference if I don’t snack between meals. It’s easy to slip back into bad habits though!
    Out of interest, how much fibre are you guys getting? Cause in the book it says we need about 30g and I only seem to manage that even with flaxseed and fruit and veg. Unless 15 is about right while we’re on 800cals a day?

• posted by Natalie
    on

I’ll give it a go!

• posted by alliecat
    on

Lolly, you are so right! It isn’t the number of calories, but the type of calories that make ALL the difference.
    The independent research that I’ve done on fiber requirements indicate that 25g is optimal for women under
    50, and 20g suffices for those over 55. Since fat and fiber are what keep us feeling satiated, NOT protein,
    having a look at foods that are high in fiber is worthwhile. Avocado, chia seeds and raspberries are the
    staples in my diet that keep me in that range. With a quick google on “foods highest in fiber”, I’m sure
    that other BSD friendly options exist, also. Stay with us, and we will stay with you, and I think that you
    will be feeling very positive when Christmas rolls around..and then a bright new year to follow! 🙂

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Folks,
    I wasn’t sure which forum was the best to ask this question, so thought I would try here. – There is a tradition locally of events where people bring food with them to share. – I was wondering what low carb options people find goes down well in that situation?

• posted by alliecat
    on

JGwen, how about ratatouille, which can be served warm or at room temp., or a platter of grilled vegetables?
    You know, red peppers, courgette, eggplant, chunks of sweet onion, etc.

• posted by KazzUK
    on

GHeart – I write everything down in my journal that I ate that day, how I was feeling too. I also weigh myself next morning and record that next day, underscored with lots of !!!!!! I get it out of my system onto the paper. Or you could just post here. But I find it useful to flick back through the pages to when I last had a bad day, and what I weighed then the next day! 🙂
    J Gwen – A bowl of cauli and broccoli rice mixed up with various other things and spices/fresh herbs, like you would with couscous?
    Natalie – I had my annual check up last week with the doc and she thinks I may be non-coeliac gluten intolerant! Yes, it is a thing! Anyway, I shall continue as if I am (even though my result was negative like yours) cos it plays havoc with my guts when I fall off the bread wagon! Tomorrow is another day – and a fresh start! 🙂 Same to you too, Verano and LollyT. 🙂
    Wendleg – your holiday sounds perfect to me – you can only do the best you can! Lovely that you dropped by! 🙂 Enjoy!

• posted by caronl
    on

JGwen I often take a winter coleslaw to buffet events – red cabbage, carrot, a little apple, walnuts, and some dried cranberries, with a dressing of lime juice, mayo and a bit of water. Seems to go down well.
    Natalie – good for you in throwing away the nougat. I find it very empowering to throw out sugar-y things!
    Wendleg – your holiday sounds lovely. Enjoy! Have you tried the gazpacho yet??
    GH Surely OH could try the pasta/spuds/rice to check for ready-ness? Then you would just be left with the more healthy bits of the meal to try out. If I have no option, then I check those bits and spit out (when no-one is looking of course!).
    Best wishes to all for the weekend!

on

I can’t tell you how encouraged I was by reading through everyone’s post this morning. Trials and successes shared and discussed – it was so nice. I am a newbie, but I will do my best to be supportive to you all.

The recent discussion made me concern about my intake. I use myfitnesspal to keep track, but I typically eat the same thing everyday: eggs with green onion and turkey bacon, almonds, and chicken with olive oil, spinach, and mushrooms. My numbers are as follows: carbs 17, fat 51, protein 78, sugar 5, fiber 8.
    Is that fine?

I hope you all of a nice and successful day.

• posted by Prinnoi
    on

HI everyone. Thanks for the reply’s AllieCat and JGwen. You’re right, my macros weren’t set right. I’ve lowered my protein to 70g (ideal weight) and upped my fats ! – it is a mindfloop, isn’t it?! 🙂 I need to eat more protein so I’m going to look at that. How to cram more protein in my face! heh!!
    There was a work birthday yesterday, I took photos of the beautiful cakes, drooled a little then had my giant mug of cauli and bean soup. The righteous smugness that filled me was as filling as the soup!
    hah – Have documented that feeling as reminder when I’m ready to kill someone for a bread roll in a week or two…
    Hi GangreneHeart, I’m a newbie too. Let’s get healthy together.
    Cheers ! xx

• posted by Natalie
    on

I spent half of today taking my daughter clothes shopping, so I got to see myself in a lot of unforgiving mirrors while I waited. Those extra 3 kilograms really make a difference, at least in my eyes. I’ll use the image for motivation!
    Kazz that is good information to have and may help keep you away from the bread. Although knowing what upsets my system doesn’t always stop me, sadly.
    JGwen, thinly sliced cold meats or spicy chicken wings?
    8 weeks until Christmas! Just enough time to do a full cycle of BSD.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Work has been super hectic. I have taken on too many clients so haven’t had much time to post but am still reading posts. Also have got an exam to pass and have so much coursework to do. But am definitely on this challenge – I love the new name for it. My focus this week is to continue eating low carb to keep BS good and to try to find a way of dealing with all the new enquiries when we have a shortage of pilates teachers here.

on

Good to hear about your trials and tribulations, we are all here! Verano and Natalie can empathise I was like this last week. Just forget about it now and just start again. I do think that this stop start tripping up is normal. For me at least I’m re learning how and what to eat. So new habits new ways they take time and we can do this together all of us!

Goodheart that’s a tough one but I have to remind my hubby no I don’t want his third offer of cake or that glass of wine! I’m surrounded by lots of non BSD foods cos of my family so it can be tough! But I just make sure that lots of BSD foods are around and other non food distractions. For example in-between my volunteer teaching placement I am redecorating our bedroom. Boredom is a massive factor for me!

Hola Wendy, your holiday sounds lovely and delicious. Enjoy it you’re making good choices!
    Can’t wait to hear all about it!

Prinnoi well done! I was out with family on Friday and everyone was indulging in puddings and I sipped my sugar free Turkish coffee. We did it! 😅

JGwen I take berries, crudites, cold meats, cheese, hommous. Or one of my veggie home made curries depending on what kind of get together it is.

KrysiaD hope you get some time off soon. Good luck with all the upcoming coursework. I re start teaching soon, applying for a new job and writing deadlines so will have less time soon but will keep touching base here!

Kazzuk journalling really works for me too and I also print off some of your words of advice & support and stick that in too like Allie knowledge on macros etc. Thank you.

So glad to be in such supportive BSD company. We got this and when we don’t we have eachother! You can do this!!!

on

My stomach has been upset the past couple days. 😷 But my goal today is to stick to my planned meals. I slightly adjusted my macros so now my carbs are 17, protein 68, and fat 55.

What is everyone’s workouts like?

I have been doing a fitness blender program, but I’m not really happy with it. I enjoy jog intervals, like 1 minute run followed by one minute walk for an hour. But I know strength training is essential for good health. So if like to hear hope you all handle your exercise regimen.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hola ! Checking in this time from Seville which is stunning. Arrived yesterday and the atmosphere is buzzing. People spilling onto the streets in the beautiful Santa Cruz district. We are staying very close to the cathedral. Food wise.. more fishy tapas for me …some of which is fried ..not so good but no vino or bread. Breakfast this morning was interesting as all I could eat was cheese and a few cubes of melon ! The yoghurt was all sweet fruity stuff so I bought some natural Greek yoghurt on our travels. We walked everywhere today and my legs are weary but there is so much to see . Really enjoying the break but thinking of you all and needing my forum fix so I like reading up on the posts.
    Eclectic you sound like you are in a really good place …that’s fab ! Sending positive thoughts to everyone from Spain ! Xx

• posted by Prinnoi
    on

Ooh Wendleg! You’re in one of my favourite spots! How envious I am! 😛
    GangreneHeart – hope you’re feeling better.
    Quicky question – can I have a few grapes in a salad? Kind of like a Warldorf? Asking for a friend.

heh

xx

• posted by Natalie
    on

I borrowed Fung’s ‘The Obesity Code’ from the library as it has been discussed and praised a few times on these forums. I admit I’m only 42 pages in, but it seems like he’s arguing the complete opposite to Dr Mosley! MM says we should stick to 800 calories a day for a short period and doesn’t mention carbs much; Dr Fung says if you reduce calories (he calls 1500 calories ‘semi-starvation’) you’ll just burn less to compensate and continue to burn less even after you resume eating more so end up even fatter, and I think from the intro that he promotes low-carb. How do BSD-ers reconcile the two opposing views? It seems like a lot of people have put together eternal low calorie and low carb, which doesn’t really match either doctor’s ideas. Not saying you’re wrong, just curious.

GHeart I’ve just rejoined the gym, and I’m doing a variety of group exercise classes. Taking it easy at first, I did a Body Pump class this morning (weights to music) with a total of only 2.5kg on my bar!

Please log in or register to post a reply.