RE-FOCUS, One Week at a Time, 6th November.

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by GangreneHeart
    on

Today I did well with my diet. I’m not hungry, but I think about food a lot (chocolate chip cherry smoothie is today’s topic). I want to improve my relationship with food. Good have us the need to eat but also the ability to enjoy many smells and tastes. I don’t want to eat out of boredom or distress. I want to eat healthy food that tastes good and will nourish my body. I think I’m going to experiment with sauces and seasonings with this goal in mind.

Midfielder, I struggle with water intake too. I get dehydrated really easily. What has helped me is getting five water bottles (about 17 Oz each) and numbering them. Then I set goals to drink one every couple hours. I leave them on the table or in the fridge so I see them throughout the day. It has really helped me keep my water goal in mind.

Kazz, the imagery was gross, but I get the feeling behind it. I hate sometimes watching people eating something I’m abstaining from. Especially sweets!

Thanks for the encouraging words Allie, Wendleg, and everyone else. I don’t have much of a support system here, but I’m glad I found this forum. It’s really great to get and give encouragement.

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi GHeart, I think like a lot of other people I had a sharp intake of breath when I read the word ultimatum in your post. – For me ultimatum = bullying = a huge amount of stress that is only going to make it harder to change your eating habits. If nothing else, be assured that on this forum you will find people who get where you are coming from with regard to stress leading to comfort eating that you can lean on for support.
    This journey has been like peeling an onion for me, understanding all the different reasons I eat rather than physical hunger. I don’t think you are lacking in self control, we learn coping mechanisms where food is used to satisfy other hungers. – Part of the process for me since learning to consistently keep carb intake low has been discovering the difference between physical hunger and the different types of emotional hunger.
    This time last year I was counting the days to the end of the first 8 weeks when I could go back to eating “normally” and reintroduce carbs, even though I understood the science of the impact carbs were having. I was fortunate enough that I had so much weight to loose, I had to stay low carb for longer than the time it took to get to the point of finding that my taste buds had changed so that when I craved food it wasn’t carby food.
    Then there was the layer of realising and working out alternative strategies as I recognised my tendency to deal with stress and emotions by wanting to hide away and feed my face.
    When I started to work on 36 hour fasts, then I discovered the layer that said my way of marking the end of a working day and having some me time was to settle down in front of the TV and eat. I needed to open up to more ideas on what me time involved and how to feel entitled to take a break from work when it doesn’t involve stopping for a coffee or something to eat.
    I haven’t worked out the answers to each of the layers yet, its all still on-going, but I wanted to make sure you realised that you are not alone in emotions driving your desire to eat.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Beautifully written, JGwen! You speak for so many in the community. I can only smile and nod in agreement 🙂
    I tend to describe the personal learning curve as an “adventure” because so many discoveries are made on the
    “path” to restored health and the knowledge acquired along the way to be free forever from “weight issues”.
    Thank you!

Good morning, all! I’ll be back a little later to check in on whether you magnificent “1 weekers” would like to
    journey on together for another week 🙂 Time has flown by again, and today’s the day I post the new thread!

• posted by wendleg
    on

ABSOLUTELY JGwen !! Your words address the very heart of the painful subject of emotional eating. I am learning all the time. Ten weeks on I no longer think in terms of a ‘diet’ I have to get through so I can then eat things I used to enjoy before. I have lost carb cravings (mostly …would still love more fruit !!) and I think in terms of food for nourishment. That is some journey…and one I never expected would be successful after years of diet abuse.

Goodheart,I do believe that as you continue you will also change your relationship with food .You will become more in tune with your body and its needs and you may find you don’t think about sugar and carby food with the same sense of regret. You will abstain because you make a positive choice to do so.There will be times when you won’t be hungry and YOU will be in control.
    You say you don’t want to eat out of boredom or distress and you won’t .

Stay positive, keep posting, read and re read what JGwen has written. It makes total sense. Keep in mind you are modifying your way of eating long term and you are doing it for yourself. You have the insight , the tools and all the support you need and we are all behind you Goodheart !

• posted by wendleg
    on

KAZZ !!!!!!!!!!!!! That is so disgusting !!! Hee hee I am going to pinch your idea when I drool over the juicy lychees which will be appearing in the shops ready for Christmas. I will imagine them dipped in mouse droppings or something ( I have a serious mice phobia !!)
    Sorry folks but Kazz started it 😉
    Where is Eclectic ???

• posted by wendleg
    on

Yes Allie I am definitely up for another week ..mouse droppings or no mouse droppings 😉

I would miss you all so much otherwise xxx

Please log in or register to post a reply.