R-:FOCUS – One Week at a Time, Beginning Nov. 13th!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by GangreneHeart
    on

Allie, I’m American, but I feel like I’m my heart I’m international. I love cuisine from all of the world and enjoy meeting people from all cultures. I live in the Carolinas so no snow yet. I’ll check out that site, but please share the kimchi info too please. I’ve always wanted to try some.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Just wanted to pop in and say ‘Hi’, now that I am back from our travels. Things slipped a bit towards the end of our holiday, with extra carbs sneaking in as well as extra alcohol. I weighed in this morning at 3.4lb heavier than the day we left for Turkey, however, I think a portion of that will melt away now that I am back to proper hydration and a better eating pattern. The gain pushes me to just 0.2lb above my original target weight, so I’m not too panicked at this point.

To make sure I refocus and get back on track properly, I’ll look to get fully on board again at the beginning of the next challenge, that way I should be able to make sure of getting things well under control and regain wriggle room ready for the festive season.

Hope everyone is making good progress on this current challenge.

• posted by EclecticRajistani
    on

Hi everybody, as it’s been a while please indulge me this rather long message!!!!
    You haven’t been far from my thoughts miss you lot. There’s just been so much going on!
    Painting our bedroom has taken almost 3 weeks. Paint quality was terrible and I had to restart the job! And little bro has moved in for a little bit, started my teaching placement and oh yes I had a job interview today. I’m exhausted but I just had to virtually say Hi!!! BSD mates you are not forgotten!!! I have only had a two day wobble but definitely tiredness and being premenstrual is a factor. Having said that ive managed a few fast days due to glossing, taking care of the children and working I’ve not had time to eat! A few OMAD too. Drum roll I’m 12 stone 9 so ive lost a few pounds. Wow it feels good to say 12s!!! 😬 Had two school mums comment on my weight loss, finally it’s starting to show. Still have three stone to go but I’ve lost inches around waist, bust and hips. As I’ve been unpacking our bedroom and hanging things up I’ve bagged up my size 16s and I’m wearing 14s and 🙈 even some 12s. So feeling exhausted but fab just need to not celebrate with food! I am going to a pre 🎄🍸 and will be partaking but gin and diet tonics in between a water and non alcoholic drink. I have planning so excuse to not drink so much.
    BSD OMAD dinner to counteract the 🍸🍸🍸

Congrats on you all for losing, forming new habits, joining this wonderful group who I have been reading about as I’ve been whizzing around but no time to message till now. I will be on here again and just want to say we have got this!
    Ps Wendy I’m back 💪🏽💪🏼☝️😘

• posted by alliecat
    on

GHeart, just google” gold mine natural foods” to find the site for raw, unpasteurized kraut and kimchi.
    They even offer kraut and kimchi juice, though I haven’t gone that far. This California based company produces
    their product in small batches, so great quality control. I learned of it through another American BSDer who
    is no longer on the site, along with another great product, black soybeans. “Eden Foods” is the manufacturer,
    and the carbs per 1/2c are 1! as compared to black turtle beans, which are 12! They work great in chili,
    and are guilt free. If you have a Whole Foods in your area, they are available there, or can be found on
    Amazon as well. By the way, “Nuts.com” has far more than nuts…A great selection of superfoods, and
    I find my pink himalyan sea salt there, also.

• posted by wendleg
    on

oooh goody goody !!!
    Allie the family is complete !! My wayward twin has returned !! So happy !!
    Welcome back SunnyB ! You are sounding really bouyed up and positive after your trip to Turkey ! Love it !
    I am a kilo down this week after a tiny loss last Week which brings me to a 12 kilo loss overall. I am into the 13s now which is fab

Have a great weekend everyone xx (must send a message to Eclectic now !)

• posted by wendleg
    on

Eclectic ! We were worried and I had almost resigned myself to the idea that you had gone for good …so pleased to see you back !

Wow you have been busy ! Hope the teaching is going well … let us know about the job interview. No wonder you were tired but you didn’t stray too far off plan. Fantastic loss !! Well done for getting into the 12st bracket ! I’m into the 13s and it is a good feeling.

As yet I haven’t got any soirées planned until 24th December so will continue with my BSD plan mixed up with varying fasting times. We are not bombarded quite so much with Christmas goodies in the supermarkets but it’s a mega gourmet fest in the shops in the 2 Week run up.

I am rebelling a bit from weekend school work as I have decided at this stage of my career I can allow myself to dump my ‘satchel’ for a couple of days.I make the most of my days at school and get a lot done in the lunch hour…so there ;-))

Have the school mums asked you how you are losing weight ? Noone at school has commented yet but I will have to think of what to say. I can just imagine the Gallic shrugs and arms thrown into the air if I dare to say to a French person that I am fasting . Food is a religion here 😉

So lovely to hear you are feeling fab . Enjoy your drinky poos. I bet you will get lots more compliments !

Have a great day everyone . I am smiling here !!

Wendy xx

• posted by EclecticRajistani
    on

Hi Wendy,
    Congrats on the 13s! I don’t know what you look like but my weight loss was only noticed yesterday and today at church. They all asked what I’m doing?! And I told them about BSD I got the usual aren’t you hungry, tired 🙄 even today when the children and I went for brunch celebration of our second daughter’s reconciliation. The waitress questioned my not wanting focia bread 🤦🏾‍♀️ but the owner was very accommodating and I had a lovely grilled courgette, rocket, mozzarella salad and avocado platter. I’m ok to say get rid of the high carb aspects on a dish wherever I go!!
    As Allie, Ggwen say this is a way of life and gonna carry on cos its working!!!
    Wendy your going in the right direction and I’m not going anywhere I’m here till I get to goal weight and beyond. This way of eating and fasting has changed me from the inside and outside. That’s not to say it’s not tough at times your surrounded by a culture obsessed with certain foods so hats off for keeping on! I do eat v differently to others but this is working for me and no turning back. Your example of fasting has really given me back control over a lack of it over food, so thank you 😘 reckon you have done your time so satchel away!

Job interview don’t think it went that well (I’m fairly critical of myself so who knows) but they are not appointing till Tuesday they hadn’t given the third candidate the interview information so she didn’t turn up! So only fair they interview her. So we shall see. I would like the job but you know what there will be others if I don’t get this! Being a stubborn sort I dont give up easily! Volunteer teaching placement I teach my first proper lesson next week and nervous but I’m looking forward to it. The head of department is great.

Anyway I have waffled on and will be reading, listening to you all new and old BSD mates as we enjoy this weekend and hopefully a wonderful start to the week!!! 😘🤗

• posted by alliecat
    on

Good afternoon, all! As usual, I’m late to the party because I’m 5 hrs behind 🙂

Sunny, how did I miss your post yesterday?? I’m delighted that you had wonderful break, and my world
    will be returning to “normal” with you by my side on next weel’s challenge. I think that we are in the same
    place, in need of a bit of wiggle room, and the desire to begin the New Year with no registered gains for 2018!

Eclectic and Wendy, BSD twins, are both doing so well! ER, I HAVE seen Wendy’s photos, and her progress is
    nothing short of dramatic! It won’t be long before you both look like entirely different people 🙂 I was very
    quick to avoid the camera when I was morbidly obese, so there isn’t much “evidence” in existence of my
    fat years, but I’ll nonetheless try to track something down…I never want to forget those days, and it’s good
    to be reminded, from time to time… 🙂 It will soon be time to formulate a solid strategy for getting through
    the holidays unscathed! I’ll think I will stick to what was effective for me during BSD Christmas I and II.
    A great friend to our community, no longer posting, coined this phrase, “NOT ONE STEP BACKWARDS!”
    We were of like minds on that, it worked for us, but there will be lots of opinions on it as we advance
    towards the silly season.

Stay focused everyone, and have a marvelous weekend!!!

• posted by wendleg
    on

Good luck with the teaching Eclectic and yes , other jobs will come along. No job interview system for qualified teachers here. Teachers are recruited via a very tough entrance exam which I took in 1995 . My boys were very small so it was difficult to manage but failure was not an option as I needed the financial security .
    A good number of candidates are eliminated after the written exam and then it’s on to the orals. I think it was one of the most stressful times of my life and I still remember the moment I found out I had got through.

That’s not the end of it though as you are then ranked and allocated a post according to a points system. Young qualified teachers who have few points often end up in the most difficult ‘ inner city’ schools in the Paris region or less ‘desirable ‘areas of France .Fortunately I was given bonus points as I was over 35 years old and I got a post in the region I was living in. I could finally de stress !!

Glad you are in this for the long haul Eclectic . That’ s my view too .

I haven’t thought of a strategy for the holiday season, Allie. I think I am just going to carry on as I am doing…I don’t think I could face a backward step and undoing my progress so far. I’ve been there and done that on numerous other régimes and each time January comes around I tell myself THIS will be the year when I crack the weight loss. Then February happens and I am back to my bad habits. Not this time !!

I can be stubborn too 🙂 xx

on

Hello, I’m here for my daily check in. I gained a pound this morning. It’s fine, probably due to an impromptu date last night. I had a little bit of sake and fruut juice as well as some 92% coca ( which I didn’t like). I’ll keep working hard towards my goal. Considering a longer fast tomorrow. Sunday is usually super busy for me so I figure I’ll fast now until Monday noon. I need to go grocery shopping anyway. Gotta keep my fluids going though so I can finally get out of this dehydrated phase. Hope everyone is well. <3

• posted by Violinist
    on

Wendleg, I am so blown away at what a teacher has to go thru in France. That is so unfair!

• posted by wendleg
    on

Yes V it is very stressful as we are public servants ‘fonctionnaires’ but the positive is job security as once you are through the hoops you have a job for life. If I lose the plot before retirement they will find me something to do in the Library but they won’t sack me !
    It was a bit of a shock to me as I had taught for 9 years in the Uk and had to become a student again at the age of 35 to qualify to teach here. I have memories of putting my little boys to bed and getting down to study. I wonder now how I did it ! I couldn’t do it now at age 60 but I must get fit and healthy for when any grandchildren appear !

Don’t get hung up on that pound gain Goodheart . Weight fluctuates and a little blip won’t have done much damage.I only weigh once a week and sometimes the loss is tiny but I wouldn’t want to weigh daily. Keep drinking the water !
    Good luck with your busy Sunday. I’m doing a Monday fast too

on

Today’s check-in.
    I am down to 173.6, still working towards the goal of 169. Fasting today. While I’m free from cooking, I’m going to redo my planned menu and create a workout schedule for next week. I really miss exercising, but honestly, I hate the cold so going walking early in the morning as I did previously is out. So I’m going to try to do a workout at home three times a week for now. It could be strength training or maybe some jog/walk intervals while watching a movie. We’ll see how it goes.

Happy Sunday.

on

Hey again. So zero calorie foods…. Is there really such a thing? The packs of seaweed nori and picked ginger I get have them both at zero calories. Am I missing something?

• posted by AuroraMagic
    on

Hi GangreneHeart, 🙂
    Try thi slink here for very low calorie foods…. :https://www.webmd.com/diet/obesity/features/get-something-for-nothing-25-nearly-calorie-free-foods#1
    As all food has ‘energy’ that can be ‘burned’ (as in fire), it demonstrates that it has ‘energy’ and thus calories. 🙂
    ….. or as google energy states : calorie
    either of two units of heat energy:
    the energy needed to raise the temperature of 1 gram of water through 1 °C (now usually defined as 4.1868 joules).
    noun: small calorie; plural noun: small calories; noun: cal
    the energy needed to raise the temperature of 1 kilogram of water through 1 °C, equal to one thousand small calories and often used to measure the energy value of foods.
    noun: large calorie; plural noun: large calories; noun: Cal

on

Thanks for the list, Aurora.
    These two items are actually listed as zero calories in the nutritional labels on the containers. I eat them a lot so I’m concerned…

• posted by Natalie
    on

Burning a wooden table would heat quite a lot of water but probably wouldn’t count as any energy if consumed as we wouldn’t be able to digest it (unless you are a beaver). ‘Calorie’ isn’t anywhere near a perfect measurement when you are deciding what to eat. I’m not sure what zero calories written on a packet could mean. Surely not that it doesn’t give off energy when burned? Maybe they subtract energy used digesting it from energy gained from eating it to get zero? (Is that legal labelling?) Or maybe it’s 100% indigestible, like eating plastic, and it just gets passed through you? Both seaweed and ginger seem like digestible foods to me, so I don’t see how this is possible. Or is their serving size so tiny they round down to zero?

• posted by Midfielder
    on

Since my last post my weight has started to fall again… I am now starting my sixth week, which was proceeded by a one week soup diet.

My weight has gone from 102.9 Kgs to 87.7 Kgs … and within spiting distance for falling below the Obese weight starting point for people of my height of 83Kgs.

My weight had not moved for about two and a half weeks and was stuck at 91 Kg for a long time.

I did two things totally new, and made a change to another aspect, and I wonder aloud if my second totally new thing has any effect or was done at the same time as others so maybe some comments from others that tried.

In the Opera House [Australia] interview and speech by Dr Mosely he stressed that short term excise of the extreme kind for short burst maybe 10 seconds done a number of times. Not only has doing this coincided with my weight loss starting again it has greatly suppressed my hunger which also was said in the interview and the book.

Next thing I did and TBH this maybe an ”Old Wifes Tale””” told by my Nan many years ago told me one of the best ways to loos excess fat was to juggle your tummy and push the fat around I mean really shake it up and get it moving push it all over the place for a few minutes two or three times a day. Nan swore moving and pushing the fat around somehow made it leave the tummy.

The change I made was to drink more as per advise from the forum, I still struggle to get to two litres, but get close most days.

As an aside in a BBC show on the BSD re the 800 Cals, they said it was an 8 to 12 week diet, just sharing as at this stage I plan an additional two weeks in the lead up to Christmas..

• posted by Midfielder
    on

^^^^^^
    In addition to the above i have started doing excises show in both the above mentioned Opera House vid and in the book.

• posted by Butterlover
    on

Hi all .reporting a total failure on the weekend .As soon as I reported some sucess I started to reward myself with food.chocolate..profiterol, eating out and wine.So today Im 87.3 kg which is 0.6 up and back to where I was. I only have myself to blame but I am still reading jason Fung and monitoring my BGL.Im sure to do well this week as Ive comitted to eat all meals at home and stay on plan.I don’t need luck . I just need persistance 5 weeks to christmas and Im determined to get to goal.I hope you are all doing well

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hi, Butterlover! I’m finding that fully getting back to this so I can extend my wiggle room is more challenging
    after 2+years. Maybe you are finding it the same. Verano’s thought to not start the year with any new 2018 lbs.
    has the ring of truth in it, and I’m using it for motivation. Let’s just make this a good week 🙂

My friends, there has been fantastic participation this past week, so I’ll set up a new weekly challenge. I
    hope everyone will join me! It will be posted later 🙂

on

Today I’m 173.8, really struggling to get lower. I think it in my sodium intake from the chicken broth. Starting this week, I’m going to make my own instead of using store bought. I’m focusing on 800 calories a day with an eating window from noon to 6. And water, water, water so I can hopefully get properly hydrated. Keep on plodding toward my goal… 160, 150, down to 125. Cheers!

• posted by alliecat
    on

GHeart, this brand of chicken broth is readily available in mainstream grocery stores. I use it for all of my
    soups: Pacific Foods low sodium, free range organic. Generally speaking, most people have to add extra
    sodium to their diet while doing the BSD, particularly if you can manage to drink 2-3 liters of water each day.
    That seems to be the key to flushing the system each day. I prefer low sodium broth, because I can control
    a much better sodium source, i.e., pink himalayan sea salt, which is full of trace minerals. Something to
    consider…Best,

Allie

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

I just wanted to say that it is so refreshing to see the focus on staying with the BSD through the holiday! Last year it was very depressing because there was so much eating around partying and “tradition” that I stopped even reading for several weeks because it was so depressing. Then in January we had a lot of sob stories, which were also terribly sad and several people gave up.
    I think most of them would have done great if they just mixed in a few fasts and stricter BSD day’s — it was awful to read about.

• posted by Violinist
    on

Californiagirl,
    People can undo a whole year of work by loosening up between Thanksgiving and Christmas. I sure won’t be doing that

• posted by Natalie
    on

Alliecat I laughed at the idea of Himalayan sea salt (because I don’t think there is an ocean on top of that mountain range) but then I looked it up and Wikipedia says it is mined from a landlocked sea in Pakistan that evaporated 100-200 million years ago. My geography isn’t very good but this may indeed be at the foothills of the western end of the Himalayas. So you learn something every day.
    See you all in the next challenge!

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Hello there GH! Im beginning to consider we cant keep “dropping weight” nor can we dictate what our “body happy” ideal is. Im believing it will decide where and when it stops. 5 months now and I dont seem to be budging from 10kgs down. Inches are varying still but if I “WANT” to be a 9stone stick insect ” I wont be achieving that if the body cant function at that weight. I believe my body will decide what is best for it with my new regime. Thats why Im most grateful for not having a goal weight in the beginning. I just wanted to regulate BSL’s and that has been achieved 🙂 Just my perspective gleaned from musing about what if’s 🙂

• posted by Seadog
    on

Hi !, OK to join your thread ?, bit late to the party !. I’m a guy with high BP and newly diagnosed T2 diabetic. I’m on meds for high BP but so far have said no to Metformin, I really want to manage this through lifestyle. Question for you is should I use ‘Bulletproof coffee’ ? I eat my two meals a day between 2pm and 7pm, so a 5 hour eating window, but I’m just wondering about a coffee in the morning to keep me going until lunch ?. The politician Tom Watkins swears by it, but I’m hesitant and is it really is so high in fat, butter and MCT oil ! I’m already doing well with my macro’s, so not too sure about that one ?. Thanks.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi Seadog and welcome ! You are in the right place for advice.Some very knowledgeable, experienced and very supportive members on here who can guide you as you start out and tackle your diabètes and BP.

My experience is more limited as I only began at the beginning of September . I lost 10 kilos on the 8 Week BSD programme. I believe it was effective because carbs were kept low, and protein moderate but in the early stages I was careful to keep within the 800 cal limit to ensure weight loss. I wasn’t eating loads of fat.

I have understood bullet proof coffee to be a feature of low carb, and especially keto diets as yes, it allows for satiety but it’s a lot of calories which I would rather save for a satisfying , delicious meal. I may be wrong but I would put off the bullet proof coffee until you are closer to target and calories matter less.

If you are eating 2 meals a day you are already missing breakfast and if you are coping with that then I don’t see a reason to change for the initial 8 weeks. If you find it hard getting through to lunch then you could have a light breakfast ?. I actually find if I have breakfast it makes me hungrier and I have got used to skipping that meal every day now.

It is definitely true that staying low carb will have the beneficial effect of reducing your appetite so I would advise to keep going for a bit before adding in the bullet proof coffee.

Tom Watson has done brilliantly on BSD /low carb but I don’t know if he was having the coffee in the early stages . I would advise to keep an eye on the calories for the moment.

By the way Seadog : if you move over to the new thread for Nov 20th you are likely to target lots of experienced BSD ers
    Keep posting and all the best. There are people on here who have reversed their diabètes . You will too !

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hi Seadog, and welcome! Wendy is right, there are many experienced BSDers who have put their diabetes into
    remission. Keep posting, and they will find you and share their inspirational stories. Best,

Allie

• posted by alliecat
    on

I’m sorry, Seadog..I meant to comment on the bulletproof coffee…A different version, less calorific, is to add just 1 Tbs. of
    heavy cream to black coffee, instead of both the butter and MCT oil.

• posted by Jordana
    on

Hello Seadog, I have black coffee with cream. I actually count in 2 Tbs. because I don’t mind using up my calories on that. I used to ardently swear by a morning latte – but this used at least 7g carbs. I remember when I considered bullet coffee but the thought of butter and oil in my coffee made me feel quite ill, lol.
    I now really enjoy my black coffee and cream. I had a latte from costa the other day when I was on the go and it tasted horrifically milky!
    So just to second what Allie is saying, although of course different things work for everyone.

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

My basic morning breakfast is 1 tablespoon heavy cream in a mug of coffee — two mugs (2 tablespoons) holds me to lunch! Even through a morning workout!

• posted by AuroraMagic
    on

I’ve not heard about ‘bullet coffee’ before – & with cream too!!
    What’s it meant to ‘do’?
    I have (several 2-3) teas with milk, that can usually get me to lunch ok. But if not I have a light brekky or brunch.
    Re inches but not weight drop – i’ve experienced this a lot! But keep going as I find my bidy will hold the weight then I can ‘suddely’ lose another pound or 3.
    But it’s slow. I’ve not macro managed, partly cos of physical changes (doing more now, after ankle /ligament break) … so I figure some weight is muscles returning & dome is the ‘body’ doing it’s ‘thing’… !
    Sadly y’day i had to eat up a freezer stashed quinoa with sweetcorn & i was shocked how many carbs it had!! Plus to add to y’day disaster I bought a reduced cost cous cous salad with feta but that too was dilly high in carbs. Made little sense yo me but fair enough.
    So reckon that’ll delay my weight /shape loss for another wk! At 9st 7lb I’m aiming for 8st 7kb. 🙂 Slow but fairly sure! 🙂
    Welcome to all newbies!! 🙂

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hi, Aurora! I’m happy to see that you’re still with us! This thread has been continued on “RE-FOCUS – One Week at A
    Time Starting Nov. 20th”. Please join us there:)

Please log in or register to post a reply.