Preparing to start, some questions and a Hello!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by bghouse
    on

Hello Everyone,

Hello from Seattle, WA (USA)…. I’m getting ready to do the 8 week diet, have read the book cover-to-cover 3 times, and trying to figure out next steps. A little background…

January 2012 was a major upheaval in my life when I came back from the holidays to an unexpected lay off from my job of 12 years, and I’ve been struggling since. I couldn’t bring myself to stay in my industry, and went to work for myself starting a business (more stress – lol). My income became 20% of what I was making before (stress). I left California because I could not afford it, and moved to Washington (wet, cold and stress – haha). In January 2014 I quit smoking cold turkey, and all of a sudden my health deteriorated. I realize now that most of it was because I replaced a 2 pack a day habit with hard candies. I shudder to think of how much sugar I consumed kicking the habit, and the extra 25 pounds on top of being about 30 pounds overweight has compounded the problem. (sorry, but I can’t do the conversion to kg or pounds in my head…)

I spent a year going down the wrong path thinking it was “healthy” – added juicing (sugar, sugar and more sugar – love those beets!), lots of grains, tried some vegan… Then I went back to a more whole foods approach, but still too much sugar and grains. For the past couple of months I’ve tried to cut out sugar and grains and potatoes, but I believe I really need the 8 week kickstart. I kicked sodas to the curb years ago, as well as transitioning to black coffee.

One thing that limits me a bit is that I work crazy hours trying to support myself with this freelance business. I found I just dont take the time to chop up vegetables at 8pm a night, and reach for junk. I’ve gotten around this by purchasing pre-cut vegetables at the store, and while a bit more expensive, they are there and ready for me every night. The problem is they are usually mixed together in a package – like green beans with some onion and mushrooms, and there is nothing on there to indicate calories.

Any ideas on how I can figure this out? Should I maybe get a food scale and then figure out the weights of them and try to calculate? I like to have the same types of things, so if I figured it out once then I’d know, don’t you think? I already make a lot of soups, so I can do the same thing i guess and calculate the calories for those also.

The second thing is that I don’t have health insurance, although I’m trying to save up for this again. In the meantime, I use wellnessfx.com to get bloodwork done. I’m a little past 1 year since I did the complete workup, and I’m wondering if I should do it before or after I do my 8 weeks? I’m thinking probably before so I have a baseline….

Lastly, I know that I have more than just 10% of my weight to drop – currently 5 feet 4 inches weighing 204 lbs. Do I keep going on the 800 a day past 8 weeks, or do a transition to a 5:2 style…

I know I have more questions, but I’m trying to read the forums and find answers instead of just asking everything πŸ™‚

Thanks in advance, and nice to e-meet everyone!

• posted by SkyWalker
    on

Hi Bghouse, welcome to the forum, you are in the right place – first thing to do is relax or should I say “Chill Buddy?”? You just need to cut out more of the white foods like, bread, pasta, cheese, bread, rice and breakfast cereals. if you reduce these you will immediately reduce your sugars intake. If you don’t eat after say 6 pm to 8 am then the fasting period will kick in with the health benefits of the body in its maintenance mode. Your blood sugar will reduce and you will get the health benefits. I was over 200 lbs in Feb and am now 176. Do not worry about anything. You will naturally change your eating style and include more good stuff and fewer of the bad foodstuffs. Drink plenty of fluids – sparkling water is good if still is too boring. I only ever counted calories and sugars. I got to 846/day average and <30 gm/day of sugar. It can be done – DO NOT RUSH IT and you will be fine… Keep checking the forums, and use the search box for any area of enquiry or interest. You will read loads of good stuff. Just gradually cut down portion size and sugar content if you find it difficult at first It soon becomes second nature. Well done on the lifestyle changes to date too.

• posted by bghouse
    on

Hi SkyWalker,

I already gave up pasta, bread and rice. Dont eat breakfast cereals – actually find any food in the morning disgusting, so I follow an Intermittent Fasting model and do lunch and dinner instead.

I’m a little discouraged though as I’ve been doing these things for a while but not losing the weight. I’m not sure why nothing is dropping the weight for me. I have found that my tummy problems are gone – no bloating or anything since giving up all bread, pasta and rice. I also gave up potatoes. I recently needed to add a potassium supplement though because I was cramping. All the foods high in potassium are things I’ve been avoiding for sugars…

It often feels like I make changes to get healthy and things just get worse. I’m thinking maybe I’m eating too much – but man I love a big plate of green beans, onions and mushrooms πŸ™‚

• posted by SkyWalker
    on

Ok, well, I’m no nutritionist but your daily allowances of vitamins and minerals are important. It is not easy to gain weight on 800 or so calories per day with little sugar or other carbs. There are a few threads by people who are slow to lose but timing is important. Sounds like you know what is required and that you are on the right road. Be patient and kind to yourself. The old saying that weight is a simple equation of calories in versus calories out is not quite true. There are calories in everything but we need to be selective in what we eat and get a good spread of protein, good fats etc. We need a bit of everything. if you are weighing foods and counting calories only something odd, medical or genetic would account for a failure. I may be lucky of course but my wife succeeded too and sooner than me. If you kept a food diary you might be able to identify something in the ratio of fats and proteins or similar also if you are lucky enough to be building muscle it is heavier than fat but once you get into fat burning “ketosis” mode you should be fine. One ll, time alone will tell of the keys is the period of fasting. I hope this works for you, I am confident it will. Stresses provide lots of negative stuff and often results in weight gain so hold on in there you seem to have had a hard time. Look at what you have achieved so fr, it is impressive by anyone’s standards.

• posted by bghouse
    on

Thanks SkyWalker (I keep wanting to call you “Luke” – lol). I don’t think I’ve been at 800 calories yet, as I haven’t counted at all – just focused on changing what I eat. I also use a lot of kerrygold butter, so I need to try swapping in some Olive Oil instead. I do salads every day just about with Olive Oil – and those are the only fats along with coconut oil. I don’t do any of the vegetable oils anymore.

I’m planning to start keeping a diary of everything, and a scale to measure portions. Maybe I’m eating way more than I think I am, which is probably the case. πŸ™‚

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi bghouse
    Welcome. Sounds like you are half way there. Well done for the changes you already made.
    Are you Diabetic?
    First make a list of foods you like & new ones you are willing to try. Read & mark the book where it’s really important to you.
    Shop for offers on veg & freeze them yourself. That way you get a bargain & the selection you want. Cook & freeze soups, & meals for when time is tight & you are tired. A slow cooker is a good investment too.
    Do batch cooking when you have time & freeze.

Yes, count your calories off the list of food you like. Write down at the side of say, carrots 100g weight & calorie value of that. Easy to read & put a list in your mob phone or get an app. Someone will tell you the best app, I don’t use one.
    Portion size matters. In UK it’s what food fits in the cupped palm of your hand is a rough size if no scales used. GET SCALES!
    My fasting time is 14 – 16 hours daily. I eat 2 meals. Breakfast & dinner is usually in an 8 hour period. I don’t work ( retired). You fit what you can into your day. Just get in the flow of it. Your pattern will come.
    Snack on healthy stuff eg nuts ( filling but you must count the calories). Cheese is ok, but a very small amount. Read the book again!
    I have a tonic water every day for the quinine as I get cramps in the legs ( but not nearly so much now). My acid reflux – gone!
    Split your 800 calories so you have enough at your hungriest time. That will change soon. You will get the hunger under control as the simple carbs are gone – potatoes, pasta, bread & rice ( you know that already).
    This is a Low Carb diet but not a low fat. However, eat the good fats & don’t binge on them. Count the calories. You will soon know portions by heart. I think that’s the way to go for you from what you’ve said.
    Ok get started. Best of luck & others will help you too, like SkyWalker, as needed.
    Give yourself a doable weight loss target eg 2 stone ( 28lbs) at first. Lastly, we have people doing this diet/way of life for over 20 weeks ( me 14). It’s the new Mediterranean way of life! πŸ˜€ Hang Loose
    Eureka

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Well done for all your efforts bghouse, you’ve achieved a lot already.

One thing I’ve found really helpful is to record your progress on an app such as My Fitness Pal, where you can log in everything you eat and check whether calories are being hidden (whilst fats are good, you may not quite realise how many calories you’re adding in).

I have also had success looking at the breakdown of the calories into carbs (good ones!), fat and protein. Keeping the carb total down for the day – you could try 50gm or some people try less – seemed to kickstart the weight loss for me.

Good luck!

• posted by bghouse
    on

Thanks Eureka and Igorasusual – great suggestions.

One thing I’m trying this week is moving my main meal to lunch time (I work from home), because I’m usually so not in the mood to cook in the evening and then I munch on things like too much nuts and cheese. So I just made fish and zucchini noodles with garlic and olive oil. Zucchini noodles was something I always wanted to try, but knew I would never do the spiralizing myself. My grocery store does them fresh daily along with other precut veggies, and I really like them.

Olive oil – wowsers! 120 calories in 1 tablespoon. I realized I never measure stuff, so I have no clue how much fat I’ve been adding. Going to buy measuring spoons along with the scale.

Been looking up stuff on MyFitnessPal. Almost choked at the calories in cheese – oops, that’s been part of the problem I think – lol. I need to look up lots of things in here I think and get a reality check. I believe that while I focused on changing WHAT I eat, I’ve been eating too MUCH. Hopefully being mindful while doing the 800 will help me start to figure this out. πŸ™‚

• posted by bghouse
    on

@eureka – sorry, just realized I missed the diabetic question. I never really paid much attention until recently, as I worked myself up into a proper state after seeing some images online of diabetes foot problems and amputations. “Google MD” is going to be the death of me I fear ;-0

So, I went back and looked closer at my bloodwork numbers from last year. I had all my blood pulled first thing in the morning fasting with no food (or coffee, ugh).
    Glucose: 104
    HbA1c: 5.7
    Insulin: 10.3

So I think that’s higher than I want to be on the pre-diabetes curve, hence look for “blood sugar” support and finding this diet. My grandmother had diabetes, and my mom and dad heart problems. I’m currently looking online for a blood glucose meter to be able to test myself. I work on the computer as a programmer, so the thought of the tips of my fingers being sore all the time is not good, so trying to read up on options. πŸ˜‰

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi bghouse
    You need to read Jenny Ruhl, American writer (Type 2 Diabetic) very knowledgeable She wrote Blood Sugar 101 (2nd edition just out, get that if you buy it) & Diet 101 the Truth about Low Carb Diets. This lady is my go to for reliable, truthful & considered info.
    Go to her web site : http://www.phlaunt.com & check out your blood profile etc. She also recommends good blood monitors & suppliers. I’m sure as other USA posters come on line they will help too.
    Also go into your American Diabetes Association : diabetes.org & get explanation of your bloods.
    I’m type 2 & so were both my parents! Don’t freak out re pictures etc, you are doing this to get healthy, & you will.

• posted by bghouse
    on

Thanks again Eureka. I notice that Jenny mentions Dr Bernstein – read his book also ;-). I’m not 100% trusting of the ADA, but I have checked some of their information also. I’m sure once I make the plunge and get a test meter I’ll be able to stop the worrying voice in my head. I just ordered the food scale and I’m getting familiar with MyFitnessPal. And I ordered a Fitbit Flex to track steps, as I’ve been trying to walk more anyways. Folks look at me so strangely when I park at the farthest end of the lot to go grocery shopping πŸ™‚

• posted by LindaA
    on

Hi bghouse, welcome to our worldwide family!
    I’m in Australia and use the EasyDietDiary app, not sure if you can download it in the US.
    Ha, I do the same thing in car parks. I’ve given up caring what people are thinking. I’m 7kg down in 3 weeks (15.4lbs) and I weigh and record everything! Once you get the hang of it, it takes no time at all.
    Keep drinking 2-3 litre of water a day and don’t be afraid of fats, just remember to count them.
    Best of luck and keep asking questions, there’s plenty of knowledgeable people around.
    Cheers
    Linda

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi bghouse
    It’s a BIG learning curve doing the BSD. Knowledge is power, so get some πŸ˜€ And, pass it on. We got to change this Diabetes pandemic. If you have it in the family it’s too close to you!! The BSD is the Revolution & we’re the pioneer Guinea pigs. And that’s ok by me
    Your going the techie route & that’s great. Check page 135 ( I think) in Diet 101 Low Carbs book re: how to test your bloods & where to prick fingers etc when you get monitor.
    Trust Jenny. She knows the lies we’ve been told for years! Yep, there’s a forward in her book by Dr Bernstein.
    Look up DrJason Fung too, http://www.dietdoctor.com. He’s a Nephrologist in Toronto. Your going to be busy!!
    Look at Forum & Topic What exercise is everyone doing by ay caramba. She’s just roped me into doing a marathon in May! Just completed mine tonight lol πŸ‘£πŸ‘£ 🐧

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi bghouse.

Welcome to another transatlantic friendπŸ˜ƒ

I agree with everything that’s already been said, but noticed nobody answered your question about what to do after 8 weeks.

I’m 5ft 2 ins and started thus at 224 pounds. I asked the BSD team about continuing and they said it was ok or a few weeks but then to transition to 5:2 Mediterranean eating. But like many others on here with more weight to lose I’ve kept to the 800 calories.

I’ve now finished 21 weeks on 800 calories and have lost 57 pounds – need to lose about 28 more. My HbA1c just before starting was 9.6. The most recent one, in April, was 5.5 – within normal limits here in the UK.

Any more questions, just ask.

• posted by bghouse
    on

Thanks Eureka – yeah, already read Dr Fung also. I’ve been reading and studying for a while now, just nothing seeming to click, which is why I think doing the 800 is the next step.

@captainlynne, thanks for the welcome and for explaining what you and others have done after 8 weeks. I guess I’ll know more what way to go when I get there.

Right now I’m trying to decide if I wait to do bloodwork first, or just jump in. I’m kinda the impatient type when I’ve made up my mind – I’ll research things to death first, but then I jump πŸ˜‰

• posted by bghouse
    on

Hi All,

Sorry for going quiet. Just went through some major personal / family stress. Needless to say I haven’t started yet, but I’m trying to get myself ready again.

One of the things I’m a bit concerned about is what supplements to be taken. Even before finding BSD, I had been trying to go low carb and remove sugars. I find that I am cold a lot, which seems to go away if I eat a bit more carbs. I’ve been changing up my supplements again, and I’m just so darn confused where to be.

I’m back to reading through the book again. Sadly, it’s not as easy to find stuff I bookmarked quickly on my kindle – so I’m not sure what the recommendations are for vitamins and supplements.

• posted by SkyWalker
    on

Strictly speaking supplements are not necessary when eating good amounts of fresh food and the whole supplement issue is somewhat controversial anyway. We feel cold when the easy sugars become less available before the fats take their place. I lost a waistcoat’s worth of fat and felt cold but it passed. Just reducing sugars and increasing fats and oils is a good start and would be expected to bring some benefit. The 5:2 does this but slowly. BSD is a bit tough to start with but becomes a way of life and the changed habits soon become obvious. If you are not ready, take some time to study the site and the book. Attitude is really important but knowledge is key. Good to see you back anyway andgood luck

• posted by bghouse
    on

Thanks SkyWalker,

I got setup with MyFitnessPal and just put in my food today. Sadly, I gave into a craving a bought some bananas. I had no clue the carbs in a banana – eek. I had the banana and these Trader Joe’s Steamed chicken dumplings for lunch – and I’m already at 52 carbs. The sugar I expected on the banana (12g) so I’m only at 15g there. But wowsers….

I have some supplements I really like taking – like the desiccated liver I’ve been doing for a while now. Me and Liver are never going to be BFFs, but I know there is so much nutrition in liver. I’ve been considering going back on Cod Liver Oil, since I just can’t get the fish in my diet the way I’d like. I’m one of those people that really doesn’t like Salmon, although I love lots of other non-fatty fish and shellfish. The cost can be too high sometimes though….

My scale arrives tomorrow, so I can start trying to weigh foods and understand what I’m eating. And of course, more reading to study up πŸ™‚

• posted by Beverley
    on

The BSD doesn’t specify counting carbs although what I’ve noticed reading posts is that staying under 50g per day seems to help with keeping the weight coming off. I found it easier the first week or so to concentrate on not eating sugar and cutting out grains – which meant that I often ate between 800 and 1200 calories per day for the first week and some days my carbs were over 100g. I soon got the hang of which foods were carb rich. I think this diet is much easier if we already love eating lots of vegetables!

• posted by AlexX
    on

Good luck bghouse
    I am only a week into the Fast800 but really motivated as I already have lost some muffin top. There’s lots of great information on this forum from people who have been on the BSD for a while. A game changer for me was logging everything on My FitnessPal (on laptop and as an app on the phone). There’s lots of foods already on there and you can add recipes. In the past I thought I was eating right but I’m sure my portions were way to high – particularly on cheese. As you have already found out some things are more calorific or carby than we think.I eat lunch and dinner (suits my lifestyle) but there are lots of times I have to eat ‘on the road’ so I try to make sure I have something suitable to hand so I don’t make bad choices. I have found that my carb cravings have diminished. It’s not the first time I have tried low carb, but it’s the first time I have kept close to 800cals and I think that is what is making the difference.

• posted by bghouse
    on

Thanks AlexX – ah cheese, totally my weakness πŸ˜‰ I’m starting to try and go through recipes to see what I like and what I should stock in the house. πŸ™‚

• posted by bghouse
    on

Another question: How do you deal with feeling cold? I’ve been consciously trying to eliminate refined carbs before finding BSD. I’m constantly feeling extremely cold, and researching online many folks say it’s a symptom of low carb. I was thinking I would try to stay at 100g carbs before finding BSD, and now I’m not sure – lol.

I never used to feel cold, always hot. Lived most of my life in Florida (20yr) or California (25 yr). Then I moved to the Pacific Northwest, and started consuming less carbs at the same time. Needless to say, the last 2 years in Washington I’ve been a bit miserable with feeling cold all the time.

I do have weight to lose, and was thinking to do the 800 cal to get the weight off fast. But as I sit here again with my wool socks and my feet on my heated foot stool I’m questioning my sanity πŸ™‚

Please log in or register to post a reply.