Prep over – now it's for real

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by carrierman
    on

Hi all. At 63 (and three-quarters), Type 2 and many pounds overweight something had to be done. I have ditched the high-stress job and retired early, just had a three week holiday whilst researching and planning BSD 800 and started yesterday (Monday 18th) to give me 9 weeks before my 64th birthday where I plan to surprise a few of my friends and relations! It would be great to have some company on this journey and I plan to update progress as we go.

• posted by carrierman
    on

(Starting weight 15 St 7.5 lbs BMI 31.72)
    Day 3. 15 St 4.4 lbs BMI 31.27 Loss = 3.43 lbs to date.
    A happy start!

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Hi there.

Brilliant work getting your priorities right. We are with you all the way. I am at the end of week 3, and I never feel like I am doing this alone. This forum is brilliant. I also spent 5 weeks training my mind to get used to the idea of this. Keep posting here. The positive and even more important if and when needing help.

Regards
    Jan

• posted by carrierman
    on

Day 6. 15 St 0.5 lbs BMI 30.7. Loss = Exactly 7 lbs

Very pleased with myself as was away Thursday night and Friday day seeing off my son who has emigrated to Seattle. Family lunch at Heathrow airport – settled on Cafe Rouge Vegetarian Breakfast with scrambled eggs, 1/2 Avocado, spinach, mushrooms, tomato (gave away the separate pot of baked beans and the sourdough toast with butter pat to as ever hungry son).
    This morning, looking at my weight spreadsheet, I have entered various “target weights of significance” against future dates. I am excited that I am now approaching two such weights – weighing under 15 stones (210 lbs) and a BMI of under 30. The latter is very significant because of the change in medical classification of my body down from “Obese” to “Overweight”

greenjanet thank you for your post and support. I have been reading of your journey and it is fantastic! – Well Done!

On a general note, I am generally using menu items from the BSD book which states calories per meal (OK so far) and use a small resetting scales to weigh foods going onto my plate to calculate the calories against what it says on the packaging per 100 g etc. but have difficulty with carbs other than those stated on packges. Does anyone know of an easy carbs reference? How do others do their calcs?

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi carrierman

Firstly, welcome to the BSD and the forum. Great to have someone else onboard and revolutionising both their eating and their lives. You seem to be very focused and determined and wonderful to see you are already seeing such positive results.

Like you, I weigh everything and where there is no package nutritional advise, I use online website http://www.calorieking.com to find a calorie and carb figure – you can adjust the result to be a 100g value. If they don’t have the item (it’s an American site and doesn’t have everything we eat in the UK), I will try doing an online search for the nutritional values of the item concerned and haven’t had a fail yet, there is always somewhere offering the info.

I am currently tettering on the brink of dropping from overweight into the healthy BMI band, but it seems to be rather illusive right now, but with the BSD I find it’s easy to stick with it and I’m confident it will all happen, if not as quickly as I would hope.

Keep us all posted on your progress. Make the most of the forum and do shout if you hit a problem, there is great support on here.

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Hi
    Planning is key to success of this eating plan I have found. An excellent app to use is myfitnesspal, counts everything, communicates with others, so getting tips, also has a scan meter top right of search bar to scan foods exactly. The recipes in the books are an excellent guide, but for precision , I calculate it all myself on this app as the counts of the recipes are sometimes way of . The no carb Bircher for example actually has 38 carbs, so be warned, it would be okay at first I am sure, but after time your weight loss would slow down as you wouldn’t be following 800 cals and 50 or below carbs. Keep up the excellent work, download the app as it will make life very simple, and keep letting us know how you are doing.
    Just imagine when you next get on a plane to see your lovel son, you I’ll have so much more space in your plane seat.🛬✈️🛫

• posted by carrierman
    on

Monday Start of Week 2 Weigh-In:

14 St 13 lbs BMI 30.49 Loss to Date 8.5 lbs

First Target Achieved! – Weight now below 15 St

Next Target: BMI < 30

Thanks for all the help re carb counting and associated meal planning. It’s only been 1 week and I am still a newbie but it seems it does take significant planning/research to get the daily menu balanced correctly. Still, now I am retired (but still waking at 6 a.m. as per my working life) I have plenty of time to do so.

What’s not to like about this food.? Last night we had a modified Harrisa Chicken (swapped out the beans for Cauli Rice) – Fantastic and so filling.

Please log in or register to post a reply.