Post eight weeks

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by tokyo14
    on

Well i have finished my eight weeks and had a holiday and increased cal and had the odd cheeky carb and still lost weight !! so carrying on with new way of eating as it has become second nature now and just a bit more relaxed on the occasional day !!

• posted by Lucky Maneki
    on

Well done Tokyo πŸ™‚

Given up BSD 800 almost at the end of week 11. I need more on some days, not all. I’ve never been obsessed with the carb count thing and managed to lose over 2 and a half stone in 8 weeks without counting carbs once. Just sticking to the list of allowed foods and eating things that are reasonably low in carbs anyway. The last three weeks have been scuppered with two trips away and primarily the reintroduction of wine to my diet. Looking forward to following the plan in the way I intend to now for the rest of my life. Common sense.

• posted by tokyo14
    on

Hurrah for lucky i am looking forward to a new eight weeks and seeing where this takes us !!!
    interested on pizza front i shall be having another slice of nigellas cake tonight !!!!!!!!!

• posted by Lucky Maneki
    on

Me too! You know it’s the only thing that’s really, really bothered me this whole time, the lack of pizza! And the funny thing is, I didn’t have any when I was on holiday, wish I had now, instead of having that slice of cake! I’ve seen a few recipes online and they all seem to be 4 or 5 star recipes for spelt base pizza. I don’t WANT courgette pizza, I don’t WANT cauliflower base pizza. If it’s not doughy, it’s pizza topping on courgette or it’s pizza topping on bloody cauliflower and I’d rather do without than mar the memory and experience of pizza. End of. You can’t polish a turd, as they say.

I’m excited about this now too and the thing is, I probably will only reach 800 on a lot of these days, because I simply CAN’T eat that much any more but I think taking away the ‘having to only eat 800’ is going to make it a lot simpler for me. It’s still denial of sorts, isn’t it? Yesterday I had a bowl of soup. I had planned to make a beef stir fry with turnip wedges AND a small amount of quinoa because I do miss a grain with things like that. And then my dessert. I was still so full at tea time from my small bowl of chunky soup that I knew I’d never eat all that. Small portion of beef stir fry, six small turnip wedges, and then a small portion of crumble and a spoon of yogurt on it. I’m still full now.

• posted by Nursebean
    on

Haha! I’m with you on that Lucky! Not that I’m into pizzas but I don’t like phoney other stuff either but I think its just fabulous this way of eating. It doesn’t just help you lose weight, it changes your mindset completely. Like Tokyo you discover you don’t even WANT to eat that much – and continue to lose weight despite eating a tad more!! Its great isn’t it.
    I weighed myself this morning and I am now officially the lowest I’ve bean in many many years. If I can lose another stone I’ll be back to my lowest weight – EVER!
    Oh and I’ve only gone and got myself a job! I haven’t bean able to work for four years due to health issues – and now I’ll be working 4 hours a week – woohoo!
    Bean xx

• posted by Lucky Maneki
    on

Firstly, well done on your lowest weight Bean! I’m still a way off from what I should be, but – I’m still the lowest I’ve been in a fair few years, maybe 5 now after a WW stint. Before that, sheesh. Couldn’t tell you exactly the last time I was 15 stone something, 2002/3?
    Secondly – well done on your job! I remember you posted on my thread that you’d had an interview. Baby steps πŸ˜€

It’s wonderful how this diet is changing things for so many people, not just health wise in relation to diabetes or weight wise but in other ways too. I’m moving more (well, until the heel thing, grrrrr!) I’ve seen so many people on this forum growing in confidence and coming out of their shells, it’s lovely to see. If you can tackle something like this and succeed, because let’s face it, it does take balls of steel to give up all we have done, you start to wonder what else you could do. I don’t have time for the whiners who say ‘Oh! I could never give up pasta/rice/bread/potatoes’. Yes you could. You could, what you’re saying is, you won’t. I was at the point of sheer desperation, I’d tried everything. WW and SW with their – you can still eat x doesn’t work for me. This, with – you CAN eat this, you CAN’T eat that, does work. That doesn’t mean, however, that I won’t ever eat cake. Or a biscuit. Or pizza. Or bread. What it does mean is that I will keep baking, keep cooking, keep trying to make these things in as healthy a way as I can using ingredients that are allowed on this WOE. Sometimes salad doesn’t cut it. Sometimes greek yogurt doesn’t cut it. And for me, it’s better to do it this way, than to phone for a Dominos or grab a cake in a box from the supermarket, full of god knows what artificial rubbish.

Today is National Burger day, so it’s Waitrose Peppered Steak Burger salad for tea!

• posted by Nursebean
    on

Thanks LUCKY! You are so right, of course! There’s no such thing as CAN’T give up carbs – but WON’T plays a big part. If only people would understand that it doesn’t take long before you just don’t fancy any of the above things, do you! That’s the best part of going low carb I think
    I know what you mean about WW and SW. I’ve bean with SW for over a year now and my weekly weigh-ins were very slow. Recently, however, doing this way of eating I have lost 11 pounds in just under 8 weeks – that’s incredible for me!! At SW if somebody hasn’t had a good loss they are always advised they are not eating enough(!!) something I’ve never understood – AND you can eat as much pasta/rice/potatoes as you like! Really?! Mind you, it DOES seem to work for a lot of people – but the weight is dropping off me since I’ve cut them out! I can’t really advise anyone at SW though – doh! πŸ˜‰
    I bet you are feeling good LUCKY being at your lowest weight in years – its such a fab feeling isn’t it!!
    D’you know what? I think I’ll join you in a little steak today – why not? It is burger day after all πŸ˜‰
    Bean xx

• posted by Lucky Maneki
    on

I rarely miss any of those things now, I’d say of them all it’s probably rice that I miss the most, and tortilla wraps, as we used a lot of those. SW and WW do work for a lot of people but I find only to an extent, and that’s from several years of experience and thousands of pounds spent. I’ve done at least 6 different versions of WW. At least. The worst one I found was the points, I would eat junk – and then either starve or cheat! What’s the point in setting yourself up to fail? No Lucky, you can’t have that pizza on this plan. End of story, non negotiable. It’s your choice, do it or don’t. Much easier. Never quite liked the SW in the past either, either loads of carbs and an ounce of meat, or three kilos of meat and a spoonful of carbs. I wanted both πŸ˜‰

Hey, steak is a posh burger Bean, but you’re celebrating so go for it! πŸ™‚

• posted by Janeycoughdrop
    on

Aha, tracked you down! I’m well beyond 8 weeks and living the Med Style diet quite happily, with the occasional treat. Food seems so much more creative when we’ve been experimenting with new ingredients (sometimes with catastrophic results!) so I am game to continue πŸ™‚

And you’ll never guess what? The increased energy and recent discovery of the enjoyment of walking has just led me to be crazy and sign up for the British Heart Foundation’s MyMarathon in September! I know full well I can do 26.2 miles because my Jawbone tells me I can!! And if I can raise a bit of money to put back into research then all’s good!

• posted by Epspecially
    on

hee hee caught you all!! :-)))) HIIIIII! hope you all well xxxx No excitement here, just working away and enjoying the end of the summer. Leaves looking gorgeous around here, think this is my favourite time of the year. Lucky wedding time soon! :-))

As some of you know, made it through the 8 weeks quite happilly and lost 1 and 3/4 stone I think in the end. Since then I was doing well for a few weeks and then stuff started to creep in again! (Putting it like this makes it sound like I had nothing to do with it ha ha ha) It is true though, that the whole process makes a lot of sense, so I haven’t totally lost the plot and started gobbling rubbish, but I have had a few pieces of toast and definitely few too many pieces of dark chocolate – I’m back to being able to eat half a bar… Sometimes I think it’s just to test the boundaries ;-))) Anyway, I definitely think this is the way forward and even though I have gotten way too sick of Myfitnesspal and filling in everything, I think I might have to return to it again a bit, just to remind myself what the amount of food I can eat in a day looks like. Though if some of you have been doing it and still losing weight though not spending hours imputting stuff on Myfitnesspal maybe I could do that too – just stick to the carbs! Haven’t weighed myself in a few weeks as am scared to now – not that I think it’ll be terrible as clothes still feel more or less the same – it shouldn’t be as I have stuck to the principles I’d say 70/80% of the time… But the thought of having to relose weight again is discouraging!! Better that than have to relose the whole lot eh ;-)))

Does the 5/2 actually work though? I don’t seem to lose weight when I go much above 1000 calories I think, even if they are allowed calories….

• posted by Epspecially
    on

Great about British Heart Foundation’s MyMarathon Janey – YES!!!

Hope your heel is fixed Lucky?

on

Welcome back Eps! Mad eh? But the Jawbone/Up has done a great job of nagging me into activity so I thought I’d give it a go!

Sticking to the Med Diet with the occasional lapse works for me. Clothes still getting looser and appetite largely unchanged. Keep on with us old timers and we’ll keep you on the straight and narrow (most of the time!)

• posted by Epspecially
    on

Will do Janey *hands clapping*

Great about progress – hopefully it’s contagious πŸ˜‰

• posted by Nursebean
    on

JANEY!! That’s amazing – well done you for taking the challenge! You aren’t joking when you say you’ve got loads more energy(!)
    LUCKY! Did you ever try the most up-to-date SW? That is much easier to follow and you can eat loads – but as we know, we don’t WANT to eat loads of pasta/rice etc. I love BSD and I love the fact that when I reach my goal weight I can then continue med style and throw in the odd fast. This whole experience is finally working for me – after 20+ years of ‘dieting’ Hoorah!
    Now I’ve got to go and prepare myself for my first day back at work in four years – doh!
    Bean xx

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

JANEY That is fab re the BHF marathon ..i will happily sponsor you to raise some money x let me know if you set up a place to collect sponsors..have done it before online but cannot remember the name of the site…

LUCKY I think what you say makes lots of sense ..i am grateful for yr observations on Post 8 weeks ,and JANs and EPS too. Different perspectives, they will help me to decide which way to go when my eight weeks is up early September. Its good we have choices! And that we are away from the WW and SW tyranny for ever! i found SW such a swizz,telling me i could eat as much carbs as i wanted,then the weeks i didnt lose,telling me i either wasnt eating enough,or that i needed to decrease my portions! Erm,which one? Cant do both! Hehe! Best thing about SW for me was,on one of my many joinings, i won the raffle the first week and never went back again! So at least i got a few bob back from them..goodness knows i gave them enough over the years!
    It might work for some but i will never ever join again.
    LUCKY i hope you can get yr heel sorted..if its any consolation,mine is usually ok now,after a massive painful flare up like youre having πŸ™ just try not to be on yr feet too long even tho youre such a bizzybee..and keep using the gel insoles to protect yr feet. X

BEAN You have done so well, imy little pal! I have known you for a good while now from the Fast Day forum and you’re an inspiration how you have got to such a low weight despite ill health limiting how much exercise you can do. Good luck with the job! You will be an asset to them! X
    X

• posted by Lucky Maneki
    on

Well done Janey! I’ll sponsor you πŸ™‚ I’d join you only for this sodding heel.

Eps! Our little ray of sunshine is back! Yes, I know, going to order the two dresses soon and send one back. Had a code with 10% off and free delivery today so – sorted! Hubby tried on his suit today in Greenwoods but he’s going to wait too for another fortnight before buying anything. He’s 16 stone 1 now and his waist is shrinking so quickly, so it makes sense to buy it as late as possible!
    Awww I don’t think any of us will ever eat the same again. Some things stick with us. For example, when we were ‘told’ in WW what a portion of pasta and rice was dried weight, I actually weighed what I was eating, and I was eating double the amount lol. So up to starting BSD when I weighed pasta for example, I used their 60g portion, it just kind of stuck? I don’t think the occasional piece of toast is going to shove two stone on you, but these things need to be the exception rather than the rule don’t they? I’m currently relosing the same kilo over and over haha, down to pre-christening weight, but a kilo away from pre-camping weight which was what, two weeks ago now? Grrrr! But I’ll do it and then it’s completely new territory for me. Two kilos from now I’ll be 14 stone something.

I need to go docs about my heel πŸ™ Fo’ sho…

No, I didn’t Bean. I have eaten a few of their ready meals though – nobody judge me here please. I don’t eat ready meals as a rule, but from what I can see, they are as good as making it yourself and have the recipe on the back, and some (not all) are quite nice. Low-ish calorie and reasonable carbs. I like that a lot of them are just a curry etc, without any pasta or rice in them. They’ve been a godsend at times, I won’t lie and one does both hubby and I with extra veg. But no, the thought of eating loads and loads now of anything, protein or carb, makes me feel quite ill. Good luck for tomorrow, is it?

Yowzer – the original intention was to do it for another 8 weeks as I’ve still got so much more to lose but I just can’t, not devoutly anyway. The warning signs were there that the joy was starting to be sucked out of it and the weightloss wasn’t going to be worth the hassle, this happens to me on every plan at some times. I’d rather lose a pound a week and feel happy and satisfied than lose three pounds a week and feel frazzled and deprived of something. Some days I wake up and I could eat my arm and as I like a decent (but now much smaller!) tea, it meant that a lot of the time something had to give. I think we have to just keep re-assessing this on a weekly basis once we’ve hit the 8 weeks. Janey does the same thing daily, some do 5:2, and we can always pull it back in by doing a week or 2 weeks of BSD800 if we feel the waistbands tightening. But if we don’t go daft, the worst that can happen is that weight loss slows, I doubt it would grind to a halt completely. As I keep saying, this has taken me 25 years to accumulate and I’m already 30lbs down 11 weeks in. Not a bad start anyway. Better than I’d have had on any other slimming plan πŸ™‚

I’ve bought my spelt flour from Aldi… I am making pizza on Saturday night… I bet you’re all praying it works so I finally shut up about pizza! Haha.

• posted by Epspecially
    on

ha ha ha ha Lucky – glad to hear you have eaten a ready meal once or twice – I was beginning to think you were a Stepford wife robot in the kitchen with your amazing organisation skills! ;-)))))
    Good on you on getting back to preChristening weight – pre-camping is very close too!! Brilliant. I will weight myself tomorrow and start from there. As you said, it’s all about getting back to what worked if needed.

Mind that heel. Sounds auch. Did I say already that rolling the arch of your foot on a golf ball worked well for that I seem to remember reading? Though maybe not when it’s actually painful? Worth a short try and stop if it not helping!! πŸ™‚

Looking forward to pizza talk soon. (Not something I crave so you can tell me how delicious it was without any fear!!;-)))

• posted by Lucky Maneki
    on

πŸ˜‰ Eps, not often, but they’re not too bad for a frozen meal! I love the Chicken Saag curry, really tasty sauce and plenty of spinach in there. Funny you should say that about the robot in the kitchen. I can’t wait until Saturday to cook something with this sodding flour now, so I am attempting *drumroll* – bread rolls! The Hemsley ones Part 2 with ground as opposed to whole flaxseed made me retch – although the Elana bread is ok. But after a couple of loaves of it, it is just that – ok. This is where I’d put in a ‘meh’ emoji if I was on my iPad. Hubby isn’t well last few days and he’s not sleeping well at night, so he’s fallen asleep on the sofa. So I thought if I could make him a bap for his burger tonight – Best. Wife. Ever. Ever ever. Fact.

Hey, did your OH stick to it after you finally roping him into it?

I haven’t tried that yet, no. Hubby has golf balls… not a euphemism, I will ask him when he wakes. I try doing the stretching. My niece had it and she had to have an injection in her foot and had to stay off it for 5 days. Can you imagine me not doing anything for 5 days? Jesus, I’d go crazy!

I’m surprised at my restraint with the pizza tbh, but I’d best have it after weighing Saturday than before weighing Friday πŸ˜‰

• posted by Epspecially
    on

Best wifey ever – you’re nice to him – definitely! :-)))) Hope it makes him feel better. Yes, I hear you on the mehhh things. Stuff that I stick in the freezer but then ends up seeming very exciting when discovered weeks later! Found that weird quinoa bread I made ages ago last week and ate a slice = not amazing but seemed like it at the time! Smug factor outweighing taste!!

No on the OH sticking to it ha ha ha ha – he seemed to eat less healthilly in protest :-)))) But he works a very active job so think he uses up a lot of energy everyday. Is fit anyway. hee hee in both senses of the word ;-)) But I wouldn’t be if I ate what he eats!

• posted by Epspecially
    on

ha ha ha good luck doing nothing for 5 days!!!!! Though oooo maybe you could start your book! I’d say you have one in you πŸ™‚

• posted by Lucky Maneki
    on

He’s worth it, definitely, bless him. I’m meh’ed out on the Elana bread, the chickpea wraps. That porridge bread was nice though, I still have a slice of that occasionally under the grill with peanut butter on, a few left now in the freezer. I think I was more excited about the texture of the Elana bread being, well, like bread? All the cakes I’ve made have thankfully been great, and hubby said today, they’ve been so nice he sees no need to ever go back to using white flour and white sugars there! Great compliment! Quinoa bread???? Yikes… I don’t quite know what to say…

Ah, Mr Eps is a hottie, eh? Understood *nods*.

I actually did write a book last year – sort of. I did NaNoWriMo last November, been procrastinating about doing it for years, stuck it on my 40 before 40 list (which I have somewhat neglected since starting BSD). Did over 50,000 words anyway, still not quite finished and I plan to do the follow on this year. Was great fun and felt like a real achievement that was mine and mine alone? πŸ™‚

Well, the spelt bread dough looks and feels like bread dough… I don’t want to be lulled into a false sense of security though. We’ve been excited so many times.

• posted by Epspecially
    on

Haaa haaa no squeezing your bread before it rises… ;-))) Is that a saying? It is now. πŸ™‚

Hahhhaa Mr Eps hottie – he’ll love that ;-)))

Oooo brilliant about book – will have to look up that thing you mentioned. That’s cool! I’d like to do that. Real achievement is right – 50,000 words is massive! Did you ever think of sending a section of it to a publisher? Or to an agent? oooo I bet you could.

• posted by Epspecially
    on

Any way of sticking up links to the fancy dresses so we can JUDGE :-))) I still haven’t got anything – am vaguelly thinking of wearing one I wore before and then getting nice shoes instead… we’ll see!

• posted by Lucky Maneki
    on

It definitely is now haha Eps. Love it.

It’s a real challenge. I did do a bit of prep during the cold, rainy October evenings, not a TV lover anyway, so I swapped reading for plotting lol. I don’t think I’d have the guts to send it off ever, nobody has seen any of it yet!

Well, the bread is made, it’s lovely! Go on Twitter Eps, and search #luckysbaps

I’ve got the pic saved on my ipad. Or phone. Will have a look after tea πŸ™‚

• posted by Imogen
    on

Amazing Lucky, what a great creative challenge! Not sure I have a novel in me…struggle just keeping up with the threads😡 Sounds like you have your post BSD800 plan well in place – knowing yourself and what works best for you is the key to success me thinks.

Me; Week 18, lost 45lb, still have about 45-50lbs to reach my optimum weight (half way thereπŸ™Œ) Now officially ‘normal’ on blood test – was 46 now 42, cholesterol down from 5.5 to 4.9, kidney function and other tests all good😊 Have asked to stop medications, waiting to hear from GP, though the nurse informs me that I am still considered diabetic….even though results would say otherwise…

Also know I still need to keep tight reign on my eating choices, as even a small amount of carbs leads to instant weight gain – so no treats for me – for now!

I am taking inspiration from you and will make a list of things to do before…..well just turned 55…so maybe 60? Something else to work towards after losing all the weight!!!

Congratulations to each and every BSDer on all the fantastic personal achievementsπŸŒ»πŸ’

• posted by Frog
    on

testing
    I’ve just posted a reply on another thread twice – and it has disappearance each time – weird
    someone else had a problem with that a week or so ago

• posted by Lucky Maneki
    on

Everyone has got a story in them Imogen! I can’t wait to do it again, it really did pass those stormy Autumn evenings away! Yes, you’re spot on, we all know what works and what doesn’t, what we need and what we don’t. I’m lucky in that (as good as they can be from allowed foods!) carbs don’t seem to affect me, but it looks like wine is my no-no. I can go weeks without having a drink so, it doesn’t bother me not drinking wine.

Fantastic results, it’s been really inspiring to see everyone posting them the last couple of days. And halfway there! Well done πŸ™‚

A 60 before 60? I only managed just over 30 things on my list, that’s how boring I am! But I got a fair few of them done. I wrote my book, I met my favourite pop group, I won something fantastic – more than once. Snowdon was… Snowdoff on the day my best friend came up to climb it with me and I didn’t get a chance to do my hot air balloon, that might have to be next Summer now. I bought designer glasses instead of the cheapest ones in the shop, and I’ve started seeing a psychologist to conquer my (what I thought was) needle phobia (but which turned out to be a condition, an actual condition called Blood Injury Injection Disorder!). It was nice spending some time on me for once. And of course, the weight loss which is well under way now πŸ™‚

• posted by Lucky Maneki
    on

Ello Frog – I see you πŸ˜€

• posted by Frog
    on

Hi Lucky – see me in the TK Maxx sale trousers that were way too small when I got them a couple of weeks ago but have just put on πŸ™‚
    teensy bit tight, but easily disguised by all my tops being way too baggy.

• posted by Lucky Maneki
    on

Great stuff Frog πŸ˜€

I never have any luck in TK Maxx, yet others I know get wonderful bargains there time and time again!

• posted by Frog
    on

It can be a bit hit and miss – but the original price of these was Β£55, and I paid Β£7, so worth the odd nose!

• posted by Frog
    on

spooky – I think I have worked out why posts don’t appear!!

I posted a third time, in a different thread and the same thing happened
    common theme was a link to the diabetes xx (you know where) website
    I will try it again, on the original thread with no link

Has anyone posted a successful link there?

on

Hi Frog, sometimes you need to make sure you’re on the last page before you try and post a reply. I had that issue previously.

By the way did someone from BSD donate on MyMarathon? I don’t recognise the name due to the pseudonyms on here. Whoever it was, thanks so much!!!!

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

I donated at teatime JANEYCOUGHDROP ..i put my real name and my username but maybe they only showed my real name! X

• posted by Frog
    on

Hi Janey
    thanks – no it wasn’t a last page issue – there was only the initial post on the thread. I’m pretty certain it was because I was trying to post a link to a diabetes uk web page
    it didn’t work three times on the initial thread, or on an alternative thread – but was fine as soon as I removed the link.
    I don’t know if that’s censorship, or diabetes UK not allowing links. I did ask technical support about it before I identified the problem, so will be interesting to see what they say. If it is what I think it is, a more helpful error message would be useful, instead of just deleting or not posting the comment – wasted about half an hour faffing with it.

Never mind!

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

EPS you asked if 5:2 works..yes it really does..I have lost one and a half stone three times on it over the last three years. I put it back on each time coz i wd get unfocused and go back to bad old habits,but theres lots of folk on the fast day site who have lost lots and kept it off for a few years now.
    The fasts become quite easy,similar to how BSD becomes easy or at least easy – er!
    Plus the post BSD fasts allow more cals?

I just struggled sometimes with non fast days..that sense of having freedom to eat is hard to resist..but of course if you eat too much, the weight will return πŸ™
    I dont think it will happen that i will regain with BSD as have now conquered my carbs monster..she was last seen loping off down my street shaking her head and muttering to herself. X

• posted by ruthdownunder
    on

Lucky – your baps look wonderful but where is the recipe please?

on

Yowzer! Thank you so much! In the notification email it only gave your ‘real world’ name that I didn’t recognise but when I checked my page out online it told me it was you! Now I have another mystery name to work out as well. In so chuffed with the support I’ve had so far on this and it’s not even 24 hours yet!

Re 5:2, I also did very well on it originally but lapsed due to lack of control on the non fast days. That’s why I like the re education of the BSD. I never have a day now where I think I’m ok to stuff a choccie bar!!

• posted by 54andfatnomore
    on

well done you all, good on everyone.

As a new start I am curious. lots spoken about the ;new way of eating; but how did the exercise go and the ‘mindfulness’ are these still big parts of new lifestyle post 8 weeks ?

not a lot is mentioned

• posted by Imogen
    on

Very true Lucky….have stories…just not much of a writer, so maybe a challenge would help!!
    My 20’s to 30’s were full of possibility, challenges and crazy adventures…since then… not so much! Last 20 odd years have been devoted to raising and home educating my son. Now feel that I want to reclaim ‘me’, so spent last couple of years sorting my head 😡(not convinced that workedπŸ˜‰) This year been focussing on fixing my physical health.
    Then maybe the list….work in progress…60 things might be a stretch, better get started!
    Thanks for the inspiration,🌻

on

Hi 54, love your moniker! Actually exercise seems to have surreptitiously crept up on quite a few of us now we are feeling more healthy! The fitness apps and bracelets are making us all more aware of how much we move. I for one have benefitted massively from having the little bracelet nag me and try to walk for at least 30 mins a day, more even at weekends (previously I walked to my car and back!) I’ve even been inspired to raise money for charity on this basis. Specific mindfulness.. Not sure. A few of the ‘flock’ use yoga, for me just having quiet time with my OH as we wander in the evenings seems as therapeutic.. It’s about switching off from the day’s stresses and finding time to relax πŸ˜€

• posted by Lucky Maneki
    on

Ruth – the baps are here – https://www.dovesfarm.co.uk/recipes/spelt-bread?offset=1
    It made 8 decent sized burger rolls, but if you wanted smaller ones, you could probably stretch it to 12? Really good too. I hope they freeze well. I want to make the bread for the children for the weekend. They will be a really good, but very occasional treat for me, and handy for long car journeys and days out. I’ve done so little with the children this summer purely because I’ve felt tied to my kitchen with this diet, and I feel really guilty about that.

54 – I am much more active now that I was, like Janey says, these newfangled devices help, a few of us duel regularly, unfortunately a foot issue has slowed me down this last week or so.
    Mindfulness – for me, going from being a proper gluttonous greedy sod eating man sized plates of food, to having to stretch 800 calories over the course of a day? That in itself made me mindful – of what I was eating anyway. You can’t just mindlessly wolf your food down and not realise you’ve eaten any more, because there’s probably going to be so little of it now that you appreciate it more.
    Other exercises, the HIIT? No, not once. 37lbs gone in 11 weeks. My husband – incidentally 54 if that’s your age too, started at 18 stone 4 and is 16 stone today in same time frame. 32 lbs. He hardly moved due to ill health, but he bought a Jawbone a few weeks ago and is now moving more. Just walk more πŸ™‚ Good luck!

• posted by Lucky Maneki
    on

Imogen – exactly how I felt. I’d been a mum from 19, got pregnant just as I was due to go to Uni, and things have always got in the way of that, other pregnancies, deaths in the family, personal issues. My youngest is 10 now, one more year til secondary and my oldest is about to hit 21. It is going to sound corny as hell, but I have no idea who I am any more? Other than mum, carer, housewife? Time for some me time. And some you time, by the sounds of it. 60 things might be a stretch, I know others who had 100 on their lists, I struggled to reach 30, but they don’t have to be big things mind? Just silly little things can go on too πŸ™‚ Set up a blog to chart your progress too, with pictures of the things you achieve!

• posted by tokyo14
    on

good morning all
    had a nightmare yesterday could not post !!! they thought i was spam but back now !! thank goodness how did everyones day go ?? lucky what delights are you baking today ???

• posted by Lucky Maneki
    on

Just a quickie – I’m going to make a spelt loaf – for the children not us. Just had a talk to them all to tell them things were changing and that size wasn’t an indicator of health. One child is pudgy, the other hasn’t an ounce of fat on him but the skinny one eats less healthier than the chubby one.

Will post a pic later if it turns out bread shaped πŸ™‚

Glad you’re back too Tokyo, a spammer? You hardly ever post! That’s the sort of thing that should happen to me not you…

I’ve just jinxed myself, haven’t I?

• posted by Frog
    on

Bread shaped child?

• posted by Frog
    on

Hi Tokyo – but there’s only 3g of carb per hundred in spam – what’s wrong with that!!!

I made an interesting discovery with the issue of disappearing posts yesterday- anything with a link to the diabetes uk website disappears, no error message, warning, or explanation – you click submit, and it disappears into the ether!

• posted by Epspecially
    on

ooo Lucky brilliant news about progress – and future plan all sounds v rational and logical! So great about it changing whole family’s way of thinking about eating/food too – they will SOOOOOO thank you when they are older!! I would definitely do the same if I had kids – not make them obsessive but just aware of what they are eating and choosing.

Hi Toyko! πŸ™‚ Glad you have de-spammed yourself :-))

Thanks for the comment about the 5/2 Yowser – glad to hear it works for some. It’s the flopping between losing and putting back on that I want to avoid so hopefully will get my head around something that works for me too.

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

EPS I think we have found the key now to losing weight and keeping it off..i think low carb is deffo the long term answer. I used to think i was just greedy but i now understand that simple carbs that i expected to fill me up made me emptier.
    Well done on yr weight loss! XX and i think you can maintain well or lose more by simply watching yr carbs..you may not even need to look at the cals as long as you Curb Your Carbs!x

Please log in or register to post a reply.