Positive Thoughts Thread Anyone?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by caronl
    on

Hi SunnyB
    Yes I’m here too. I hope Birdy, Violinist, Natalie, 6Turkeys, Clarinet and others also respond to the call! I thought I was struggling with positives, but after reading the near-escape for WoodDucky’s granddaughters, I am most definitely in counting your blessings mode.
    1) Just back from the UK. Good to confirm that my father is fully recovered from his op. And a good opportunity to see friends.
    2) Lovely Autumn colours on my dog walks are another incentive for getting out in the fresh air.
    3) Weight is not going well – but my upcoming 2nd anniversary on this website is a good incentive to get serious! It has gone a bit quiet here, but I still love to read all your positives, and the warm welcome given to newcomers. Lets KOKO!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Good to see you dropping by with some positive too, caronl. Like you, I’m trying to get serious again and redouble my efforts on the BSD front. I second your call-out to all the long term contributors we haven’t heard from for awhile – think there are quite a few of us hovering in the wings, so to speak. With luck some more of the ‘old faces’ will also decide to join in again too.

The day has aged somewhat, so I am now able to find some positives to share too …..
    1. The sun was out for most of the day, despite a misty start to the morning.
    2. OH finished work early today, so we have had a little time together which has become a rarity since we got back from India.
    3. Spent some time giving some TLC to my orchids. No repotting this time, just some spent flower stems to be tidied and watering.

• posted by Busybee
    on

I’m still here though just reading and keeping on keeping on.
    Your positive thoughts encourage me along my very convoluted weight loss path.
    Thank you to all
    X B

• posted by Verano
    on

Hello just wanted to ‘check in ‘ to keep the momentum going.
    I had a really bad cold but just for three days, great I thought, wow, that was quick, but it’s come back with a vengeance!! Anyway the good news ……
    1. I actually think this cold/cough is on its last legs!
    2. Weather here has been cooler than normal for this time of year …… great for my cold.
    3. Forgetting illness …. well a cold, not really ‘illness’ ….. looking forward to my own bed in a few days time ….. nothing like your own bed!
    Have a good and positive weekend everyone ….

• posted by JGwen
    on

I have been computerless for a few days, Windows 10 insisted on doing a major update and in the process it lost all my files and settings and filled my hard disk with temp files.
    I am glad I use cloud storage for all my important files.
    The tests on the hard drive took longer to run than they should have done, so I am counting this as a positive warning that my laptop hard drive may not last much longer and I need to be vigilante with backups.
    I realised while laptop less, that I have got into the habit of checking a number of websites on a regular basis when I am indoors. It would be better for me to go back to having a desktop computer that I sit at for a scheduled worktime each day. I had a chat with the guy running the repair shop and have managed to get a good deal on a desktop to replace my old desktop to move back to. (That does make it 3 desktop machines lined up, a Windows XP, Windows 7, and now a Windows 10.)

• posted by caronl
    on

Ah JGwen, my heart always sinks when I hear the words update or (when I worked) upgrade. It usually meant I couldn’t carry on doing the basic stuff I needed to do, and was saddled with lots of extras that were no use at all! I hope the new desktop lives up to expectations.
    Hi Verano, Hope you send that cold packing!
    Positives so far today:
    1) Father v e r y happy with England’s win at rugby!
    2) A nice warm dry weekend for getting the garden rounded off for the year.
    3) Son back from uni for the weekend. Will be lovely to see him.
    4) Still on track eating wise after a rollercoaster month.
    Have a good weekend one and all.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

BusyBee, thanks for dropping by, even brief posts are appreciated.
    V, hope you are properly on the mend now and feeling much better.
    JGwen, good to see you are still with us too. Fully appreciate the frustrations of faulty technology – it’s great when it works and a pain in the bum when it fails us. Hope you’ll be back with us properly now.
    caronl, there was cheering in our house too this morning! Have some lovely family time with your son.

My positives are …
    1. Lovely meal out with eldest son and his new lady last evening.
    2. Rare shopping trip with OH after the rugby this morning. Only groceries, but it made a pleasant change to do that together.
    3. Oldest grandson staying overnight with us tonight and youngest granddaughter arrives tomorrow evening for a two day stay.
    4. This evening I’m cooking the Indian meal, which we had for our wedding anniv on our Indian trip. I’m working from the recipes supplied by the chef at the hotel, so fingers crossed I manage a close facsimile.

Have a good w/e and please remember, we love to see those positives being posted.

• posted by SBA
    on

First time posting here, just reaching the end of two months of the first diet I’ve ever done in my life and today I have reached 10/30kg of my weight loss goal.

Three positives – not just from today, but from this diet:
    1) The fast800 is making me feel as though I am on antidepressants, That’s not an exaggeration; it’s real. I’ve been depressed since becoming (happily & deliberately) pregnant with my first child who is now 18. But for the past 5 weeks I have, strangely, almost forgotten what I felt like when I was depressed. I recognise my old self again. This is a stunning and unexpected benefit and I am addicted to the feeling.

2) My energy levels have ramped up far more than losing 10kg should have warranted, although I’m no longer ‘obese’ on the BMI charts. I don’t feel things are an effort now. Maybe connected to 1)

3) Now my waist:hip ration is almost 0.8, I can hoola hoop again for the first time in 20 years!

Thank you blood sugar diet, this feels truly remarkable.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi everyone. I honestly didn’t feel very positive yesterday when I received an email announcing that our return train on Monday had been cancelled ! Storms and heavy rain have wreaked havoc on the rail network this time and we can’t get through to France from Northern Spain. So plan B…on the buses ! Hopefully it will be smooth and uneventful !
    On a positive note I still have another week of the half term holiday to enjoy when we eventually get home 😉.
    We have loved discovering this part of Spain…Gerona is very atmospheric and Sitges is very peaceful and relaxing. The light is beautiful and we had a lovely sunny day . Our morning was spent walking along the sea front with an ear on the rugby score ! Found a restaurant and chose a dish of seared tuna and aubergine. Also spotted a vegetarian Indian restaurant. It’s good to switch off completely from work despite the travel frustrations. We are lucky. The severe weather caused serious disruption and reports of 3 fatalities. Nothing should be taken for granted…

• posted by Verano
    on

Welcome SBA you are I the right place!
    Hope you get back safely tomorrow Wendy. Storms seem to be the order of the day with torrents if rain in Majorca, heavy rain and awful humidity here in the Canaries. Must be the change of season from autumn to winter.
    SunnyB how was your Indian meal? If it was good maybe you could share the recipe?
    So I do have some positives …….
    1. My cold/cough really does seem to be on the mend but I don’t know if a flight tomorrow will help!
    2. Just over 3 days of October left …..hurrah! Roll on November!
    JGwen I think you probably take the prize this week for turning a negative into a positive …. I just wonder how many of us really do back up the important stuff!
    Anyway, keep on keeping positive …..

• posted by SunnyB
    on

SBA – always good to have a new ‘face’ posting positives. Great progress so far, but your lift in mood is probably your biggest plus right now – really wonderful you are able to recognise your old self again.
    Wendy – best of luck for your return trip. I guess knowing you have another week’s leave from school, takes the pressure off a bit, but frustrating that you are having to change travel plans ‘on the hoof’ so to speak. Glad you have been enjoying the corner of Spain you have been visiting though.
    Verano – please you are feeling fitter and hope that the flight doesn’t set that back any. Two of the Indian dishes worked well, but one was a bit of a fail, in that I substituted green beans for okra as I couldn’t get those. Happy to share the recipes for the other two dishes though Gujarati Dal and ‘Afgani’ chicken. I haven’t worked out the cals/carbs for either though, so won’t take responsibility for those! Will put the recipes in separate posts. For now, I’ll just report the positives for today ….

1. Ex-DiL delivered granddaughter earlier today and brought me a huge hand tied bouquet of flower full of three different types of beautiful roses, orchids and hydrangeas.
    2. Made a really excellent beef casserole for dinner using ox cheeks – was yummy!
    3. Grandson was delighted with the new succulent plant I got for him.
    4. Calm sunshiny day all day today, after two days of pelting rain and high winds.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

As promised, V
    Gujarati Dal

Ingredients
    1 cup / 200g Arhar Dal (also known as Toor or Pigeon Pea Dal)
    3 cups / 720ml Water
    Bring to boil and cook through in a pressure cooker or if you do not have this, in a saucepan until the dal are tender.

15 cherry tomatoes chopped
    1 green chilli chopped (can be left out if preferred)
    1tsp ginger paste
    Half tsp each of turmeric, ground coriander, chilli powder
    Half tsp each of mustard seeds, coriander seeds
    1tsp cumin seeds
    2tbsp Jaggery (could use demerara sugar or maple syrup in smaller amounts)
    1tbsp Tamarind paste
    5 curry leaves
    Salt
    2tbsp ghee/butter

Add butter/ghee to pan and put in whole dry spices (whole seeds and leaves).
    After 2mins add ginger paste, chopped green chilli (if using) and powdered spices. Cook for 2-3 mins adding a little water if anything sticks in the pan.
    Then add the chopped tomatoes, cook for 5-10mins on low heat, adding a little water as and when necessary.
    Add cooked lentils and stir to combine the spicy tomato mix. After 5mins add jaggery and tamarind. Cook on a low heat for another 10mins, keep checking and add a little water is needed.
    Serve.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

And the second recipe is –
    ‘Afgani’ Chicken

Stage One
    1kg Chicken
    4tbsp Lime juice Mix all these ingredients together and allow
    1tsp Salt to marinade for 20mins.
    1.5tsp ginger paste
    1.5tsp garlic paste

Stage Two
    2 beaten eggs Add these ingredients to the above
    6tbsp cashew paste marination and allow to rest for 10mins
    2tbsp cream

Add 2tbsp oil when marination time is complete.
    Put a little oil in a frying pan, shake the marinade from the chicken pieces and shallow fry to lightly brown.
    Lower heat and add the remaining marinade, stirring constantly. Cook on a low heat until the chicken is cooked and tender.

Once the chicken is ready to serve, garnish with fresh Coriander or curry leaves.

Cashew paste is expensive and seems to come in large quantities, so I made my own by blitzing raw unroasted cashews with a little water and it worked fine.

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Hi SunnyB! Food sounds lovely though the downunder heat we are enduring – even though it is only mid Spring! – for me – doesnt lend itself to anything hot right now 🙂 However I noted mention of the beef casserole and would be mot grateful to know what is used to make/ thicken the “gravy” please. Beef casserole is one of my FAVOURITE foods and due to limiting my carbs to <20g a day (near as I can figure!) – to Ive done without it for over 18 months! Any help/advice MOST gratefully received!!! Thanks and Quack Quack from downunder 🙂

• posted by wendleg
    on

Major positive folks..we are on a coach travelling from Barcelona to Toulouse and all is well. Hubby has crackers and plenty of leg room. I have water,wifi and my Kindle. Hope I won’t need too many wee stops ! Gerona and Sitges were both lovely. We avoided any Catalan separatist ” troubles ” and saw an impressive demonstration of “castellets”…human tower in the streets of Sitges.No major food derailments apart from dark choc which still calls to me when I drink coffee. It is at least 90% cacao and very appealing !
    So I still have some relaxing time at home before returning to work. Tomorrow we pick up our little kitten Betty . Our ginger George needs company after we sadly lost his friend Bob. I think Betty will help him..and us too.
    I also take delivery of a shiny new coffee machine tomorrow. It will be nice to drink special coffee while I am making claims for reimbursement on all our trains which were cancelled or delayed 😉
    Lots of love to everyone.

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Hi Duckie, I use psyllium husk powder to thicken stews and casseroles towards the end of cooking. I order it online. I start with 1 tsp and leave for a few mins, then add another if necessary. Seems how big the casserole is! As well as half a chopped onion, I substitute the traditional root veg with celery, green beans, cauliflower, chopped green pepper and mushrooms and spinach at the end, slug of cream!
    Kazzeexx

• posted by Verano
    on

Thanks SunnyB! Both of the recipes sound lovely and I’ll certainly try them
    Another good recipe is from the Fast 800 …. Beef Rendang which can be found in the mail online of just search ‘Fast 800 beef rendang’ if you don’t have the book. The recipe also freezes well.
    Welcome back Kazz!
    My cold/cough seems to be improving at last so that’s my first positive.
    Woke this morning in my own bed … bliss! Nothing like your own bed.
    The sun is shining so a really nice autumn/early winter’s day.
    Just watched a squirrel collecting berries. All good.
    Hope today is a positive one for all ……..

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Duckie – I usually just dust the beef lightly with some chickpea flour, which thickens the gravy a little. Like the idea of the psyllium husk, Kazz, shall be giving that a try.
    Wendy – very envious of you getting a new kitten. Our cat passed three years ago and I still miss having that extra heartbeat in the house. But, with our travelling a lot these days, it wouldn’t be fair to have an animal at the moment. …. Still, I can dream ….
    V I love rendang, so will definitely be taking a look at that recipe, thanks for the recommendation.

Right, well positives are legion right now ….
    1) Had 4 grandchildren and one daughter here yesterday. So lovely to spend time with them all.
    2) Still have youngest grand daughter here and as usual, its been a delight to have her stay. We have had some lovely conversations and played games together – great fun.
    3) Bit more Christmas shopping done today and I’ve scoped out a couple of ideas for others too.
    4) It didn’t rain today.

So good to see others contributing to this thread and hopefully others will let us know about their positives too.

• posted by wendleg
    on

It feels important to remain positive right now so here goes ..

The sun shone today so I could make a start on the laundry after getting back from Spain ! I too enjoyed sleeping in our own bed, V !

Yes, our new kitten is a delight and is settling in well. Little furry creatures arriving at our house are never truly planned.They either turn up (abandoned ) or needing to be rescued. Betty is the last of a litter of kittens .Her brothers and sisters unfortunately did not survive and it was impossible to refuse . She is very cute and will certainly be a joyous friend to our ginger cat who has been missing his mate who we lost recently.
    She already knows how to use the litter tray !

I got a new coffee machine after getting fed up of mopping up after my constantly leaking previous machine ! I do love my strong coffee and green tea !

I went to yoga today and it felt good after missing my class last week. I’m not very good but I do try and my teacher says I am getting better !

I am feeling totally switched off from work which can’t be bad ! I have calculated that I have 8 months left to do !!

Silly really but it is nice anticipating watching some good dramas on TV as the evenings draw in !

lots of love everyone xx

• posted by Verano
    on

Holidays/trips are wonderful but there really is nothing like our own beds Wendy!
    SunnyB if you make the Rendang and like spicy add more chilli , I do!
    So today…..
    1. Made a huge great pan of chicken soup today, if this doesn’t ‘kill off’ the rest of my cold nothing will!
    2. So enjoying my own food after being away so tomorrow I’m making a huge casserole of beef Rendang with extra for the freezer.
    3. Sorry all my positives revolve around food but saw a lovely recipe for spiced baked nuts today which I’m going to try. Think they might be a good ‘festive’ nibble.
    So pleased I filled my freezer with soups a few weeks ago as they are really coming into their own now!
    Have a ‘positive ‘ evening.

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Thank you Kazzee and SunnyB. I always have psyllium husk in the pantry – easy to source at supermarkets here 🙂 and I regularly use it in my “seed” crackers mx 🙂 Can now put some aside for casseroles – when its cooler of course 🙂 Quack! Quack!

• posted by caronl
    on

Hi all. I must get on with doing some soup!

1) Enjoying another day with my EU rights and freedom of movement…..! 🙂
    2) Feeling grateful for the new November thread, and for the valuable company and support for our no nonsense goals. I am determined not to let myself or fellow November-ites down. x
    3) Appreciating a visit from long-standing friends and realising through their eyes how lovely our home city is. It is so easy to take things for granted.
    4) Finding some good value decorative Christmas crackers in my local Dutch supermarket. It is normally a hassle to get them over from the UK, and nice to have a local solution.

Best wishes to all for the weekend. Especially Birdy if she is reading this. Where are you?!

• posted by Verano
    on

Hello. November is here hurrah! Thank goodness October has been consigned to history and we have a new month in which to reaffirm our goals.
    Caron I’m sure that very little will actually change if/when Britain leaves. We are all quite dependent on each other’s goodwill/trade/tourism etc and I can’t really see any country ‘cutting of it’s nose to spite it’s face’. Anyway, sorry, this is probably the only place where we can come to at the moment where the ‘P’ word doesn’t raise its ugly head!
    So to my positives …..
    1. A fine autumn day here with my acers turning the most magnificent reds. I do like this time of the year but need to enjoy it whilst it lasts, before the winter sets in.
    2. I have a new long term goal to visit a country that has always held a fascination for me. I’ve never really thought is was a possibility but I’m going to try to get myself as light and mobile as possible over the next 8 months. Who knows? It may just be possible and if not at least I tried!
    3. Cold and cough improving by the day.
    Happy November and have a positive weekend.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Ooo, which country are you trying for, V? We are being given grey and rain, so November and autumn are not in favour with me right now.
    Caronl I too have been scoping out Christmas decs, but not seen anything I like yet.
    Positives die today are ….
    1 lovely meal with OH last night. Made a fab melt in the mouth Osso Bucco.
    2 have been messaging with a Turkish friend today. Always good to catch up.
    3 out this evening seeing an aunt and cousin who we don’t often see.
    How us everyone else doing on identifying those positives?

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi everyone, in line with V going to a country she has always wanted to visit I have positives of –
    1. Booked a cruise to Iceland – but not until 2020
    2. Along with Caronl I am grateful for my EU rights and I still have medical cover, at least until 31st Jan
    3. Gave up alcohol for October and lost 5lbs and the other positive is I dont feel like drinking any more so will keep it for special occasions that are not called Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Enjoy the weekend and keep on keeping on…

• posted by caronl
    on

Sunshine-girl many congratulations on the 5lbs discard and giving up alcohol in October I shall (delete “try to”) follow your example in no nonsense November. KOKO

• posted by Verano
    on

SunnyB my dream is Russia, specifically St Petersburg. BUT not much point if I can’t visit the Hermitage etc. so will try really hard to see if losing weight helps my mobility enough!
    Ahh Iceland, how wonderful s-g. Very impressed with your 5lb loss, brilliant but even more so was staying with Sober October, well done you! Best foot forward and onwards through November.
    Sometimes it’s so difficult to find the positives but we do have to keep trying ……
    1. Bought some lovely sandals which arrived today. Much better deal buying sandals in November with at least 60% off!
    2. Managing with just two meals a day most days. Did have yogurt and strawberries for breakfast yesterday, so three meals and a few snacks, and they showed on the scales today! Lesson learned.
    3. Almost caught up with washing ….. ironing is a delight to look forward to!
    Have a good weekend….

• posted by SunnyB
    on

S-G – having a holiday to look forward to is lovely, even if it seems a long way off right now. It will come around pretty quickly I’m sure. That’s an impressive discard to celebrate too.
    V – My folks went to Russia several years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. Fingers crossed you gain the mobility you desire to be able to book that dream vacation.

Some positives from me too ….
    1. Unexpected visit yesterday from a cousin, his wife and two bouncy dogs, was lovely to catch up. Made plans to visit with them for a long w/e at the end of the month too.
    2. Today the weather was the best it has been in weeks, the sun shone, only a light breeze and it was quite mild too, so I was able to get out in the garden at last. Lavender has been transplanted and bulbs put into it’s empty container. I find I still have some plants that need to be potted up, so need to get another container asap. Deadheading done and some of the roses have been pruned as well. Noticed that the little autumn cyclamen I planted last year, have started to naturalise – yippee! Was so good to be able to get out in the garden at last, after all these weeks of endless rain.
    3. Have prepped my BSD spreadsheet, ready to record everything I consume from Tuesday onward, when I will get properly back to the 800/20 regime. It’s time to get serious about losing the 7lb to get back to target weight!

Hope everyone has enjoyed a weekend full on positives and will let us know about some of them soon.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Oh dear, I said my trip to Iceland was 2020, should be 2021 – now that is a long way off. Other positives:-
    visiting family for Xmas
    visiting family at Easter
    family visiting in May
    going away with family to Malagar in August 2020
    So plenty to be positive about and plenty to look forward to.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Well S-G, that still sounds like a lot to look forward to next year, even though Iceland is an extra year away!
    Some positives from me for today …..
    1. The weather managed a sunny warmish morning today.
    2. Found a couple of a Christmas pressie for a friend and some stocking fillers in a sale.
    3. Also found an oval basket of cyclamen in a DIY store, reduced to £2. There are four plants, all of which were a little scrappy, with a few browning and rotting leaves, but a good tidy up and they are looking fine and as they all have new buds coming through, they should soon be making a good display again.
    4. Cooking chicken in the slow cooker and it smells wonderful.
    Have a great day everyone.

• posted by Verano
    on

I know I keep saying this but I find everyone’s positives so uplifting and inspiring.
    Yes SunnyB Russia has been on my list for a while but not sure if it’s worth booking something then trying to get fitter….. bit like buying a dress to ‘slim’ into! Not sure about the wisdom of that. Sounds like you really do have ‘green fingers’. Must have a chat about orchids one day!
    Anyway, s-g you have loads to look forward to before 2021. Does visiting family at Christmas mean no cooking and being waited on hand and foot???????
    So my positives……
    1. Today sat down and printed out all tickets and hotel reservations for our upcoming trip to Asia. Feels like a really good job done.
    2. My acers and the cherry trees, in front of the house, are the most glorious bright red. So beautiful even though it does mean winter is close.
    3. We had a beautiful mature tree in front of our house which had to be removed in the storms last spring. It was very sad at the time but now that autumn has arrived we are no longer plagued by mountains of leaves in the drive. Every flip side has a positive!
    Have a good week!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Where are you off to in Asia, V? Happy to talk orchids anytime, although my knowledge is only that gleaned from successfully keeping them – no expertise involved.Get that you wouldn’t want to commit to a trip you might later feel unable to copy with, but keep the dream alive and definitely aim to be as mobile as you can to make a visit to Russia possible.

1. Having been tardy about it, I have completed my Tripadvisor reviews for our Indian trip today.
    2. Out for a meal tonight, but planning steak and salad, so that should be fine.
    3. Although it’s be grey and blowy all day, there hasn’t been any rain, for which my pots and containers are thankful!

If you have just been reading this, please stop by to tell us about at least ONE positive you have today.

• posted by Au secours
    on

My positive was managing to zip up my black jeans, which I must confess was only because I put on a pantie girdle, which is something I normally don’t wear. I will try them on again on 1st December after my no nonsense November!!

• posted by caronl
    on

My positive today is having good friends who are good listeners. 🙂

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Thank you both for responding to the call.
    AU secours – girdle or not that sounds like progress. Keep on keeping on.
    Caronl – glad you have someone solid in your corner.
    Anyone else with a positive?

• posted by Verano
    on

Good to see more positives being posted I was starting to think only SunnyB and I were left!
    I need to speak to somebody who ‘successfully ‘ keeps orchids SunnyB! I get the odd one to reflower but they mainly give up the ghost. Not sure if I’m drowning them or letting them die of thirst!
    We are off to Phuket/Singapore/Penang. Mainly a beach holiday revisiting old haunts but really looking forward to it. Would love to know your feelings about your Indian trip …. it’s still in my blood!
    So to my positives …..
    It’s great to see you both Caron and AU secours…. life can be full of positives if we just take a minute to find them.
    Had an email from somebody I’ve not heard from for a while so that’s always good.
    Managed to get out the ironing board today but yet to start the ironing ….. I know nothing positive in that …. but at least I’m thinking about it!
    Have a good evening.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

So envious, V , Singapore is one of my very favourite places. Haven’t been to Penang yet, it’s on the list though. We went to Phuket years ago but weren’t particularly taken by It, but things have probably changed a lot since then. When do you leave for your trip?

Phaleanopsis orchids are quite resilient. I water once a week and only then if needed. When a flower spike drops it’s blooms, trim the stem to about 20cm and just above a node. Fed the orchid too, I usually fed once a month or so. Hope that helps.

• posted by Artful Owl
    on

My positives on a dismal, wet day in France!

1. Managed to catch our semi feral cat ready for her sterilization operation tomorrow, with grateful thanks to Lidl’s tinned sardines!
    2. Our local Intermarche supermarket has belly pork joints on special offer at 3 euros a kilo, our freezer is now groaning!
    3. Booked tickets today to see “I’m Sorry I haven’t a Clue” while we’re in England visiting my daughter in January, it always makes me laugh when I listen to it on the radio. Something to look forward to in the depths of winter!

• posted by Verano
    on

Thanks SunnyB. 20cm above a node, 8”, that must be how I’m going wrong. I usually take the stem down to the bottom node and prune a few centimetres above! I also heard they like cold before they re-flower so I keep them somewhere cool. I have two at the moment that have stopped flowering so I’ll give your method a try.
    Yes we love Singapore too! Phuket can be a bit hit and miss. I think it depends very much on which part the island you stay in. We stay in a relatively quiet part and take taxis out when needed.
    So whilst I’m here a couple of positives ……
    1. Finally feeling 100% again. So guess it’s time for my flu jab!
    2. Out with friends tomorrow for a meal …. always a lovely to eat with friends.
    3. Seem to be right back into the ‘two meals a day’ routine. Funny but when I only eat two meals I seem much less hungry ….. definitely a positive.
    Have a positive evening.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hey V, I keep my orchids on the window sills, which tend to be a little cooler anyway and I find that they seem to spur into reflowering by watering little less frequently. Glad you are cold is history and you are feeling better.
    My positives for today are ….
    1. The log burner, which has been going most of the day. Very welcome given that the Aga is refusing to function at the moment.
    2. My OH, for all his efforts in trying to persuade the Aga to co-operate.
    3. Have another batch of Gujarati lentils on the go …. yum!
    4. Lovely long email from a very dear friend, who I feared I may have upset – thankfully that was not the case.
    Hope everyone is finding at least one positive for the day.

• posted by Verano
    on

Just popping in to say hello and hope everyone is having a good weekend.
    My positives are ……
    1. Have been re-reading some of the ‘tips’ I have written in my journal ….. ensure that your goal outweighs your temptation…. a really positive message for me at the moment.
    2. Miserable wet day here today but looking at the wildfires in Eastern Australia I feel blessed to live in a temperate climate, although my heart goes out to all those suffering from flooding these past few days.
    3. Have a feeling of ‘peace’ at the moment which can only be positive.
    If we try and look on the bright side and keep finding the positives, even when life seems bleak, we will be able to keep on keeping on ……..

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Looks like it’s just you and me again V! But that’s all good, I think there are people who subscribe to the Positives thread and so will be reading, if not posting. Like the tip about the goal outweighing temptation, it’s one I need to look at for sure. And a feeling of peace definitely cannot be underestimated. There have been some moments that stick with me, when I have been suffused with a feeling of total contentment, such moments, like feelings of peace, are precious in today’s hectic world and it’s important we acknowledge them.

My positives are ….
    1. Beginning to feel like I’m making some headway with the festive season planning – couple more gifts purchased and some menu ideas mapped out.
    2. The Aga is finally back up and running. Caused OH a lot of stress and work, but it’s really cooperating beautifully again and its so lovely to have the warmth back in the heart of the home after about ten days of it being off.
    3. Put a deposit on a ‘new’ car yesterday. More expensive than we had originally planned, but as it will need to last us a good few years, we figure it’s money well spent.

Hope there have been some positives during your w/e and that you might share at least one of them here with us.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi SunnyB, V and anyone else reading !
    I am with you both….staying positive is central to me. So much to be thankful for.
    So here are my positives:
    1) Yesterday was bright and sunny although températures are definitely dropping here. I shook myself out of Saturday morning stupor and went to aquagym and had time for a 10 minute session in the hammam preceded by a shower with my savon noir and followed by another with my olive oïl exfoliating soap ! That was nice ! I enjoyed aquagym too. It’s definitely worth making the effort even though it means a 30 minute drive. I am looking after my skin for the first time ever ! I never used body lotions or creams before but I have made friends with my body and am looking after it better now.
    2) I got back into work routine this week and managed a fast from Sunday night to Tuesday lunch time. Hadn’t done that for a while. It felt good.
    3) Had my hair cut and it’s a bit shorter which I like. I realised too late I shouldn’t have accepted the hot chocolate at the hairdressers, but I will know for next time and stick to mint tea !
    4) I found two very reasonably priced, pre loved winter outfits on Vinted in very good condition, a faux fur coat in chocolate brown and a very soft jacket in grey . I would never be able to buy those brands at full price . I will be snug and warm, all ready for a chilly Christmas in the Uk
    5) I get to see my boy in the Uk !! Both of my sons are happy and well.
    6) Betty the kitten is settling in well and getting up to all sorts of crazy antics. George our cat is still a bit wary but not aggressive with her so we are hopeful they will soon be firm friends.
    7) O/H is over the gallstones incident and is pain free . It just hurts when he sneezes but that is because of the rib fractures which are still healing.
    8) I have Monday off which is a bonus ( Armistice Day)
    9) I am up to date with the ironing. I have to do it while Betty sleeps. It’s like having a newborn ! 😉
    10) I have 3 magnificent types of lettuce from the local farm in my fridge .They are vital to my well being !!!

I am thinking of setting up a weekly thread next Week with a slightly different focus. I was going to suggest making a weekly pledge to say give up something , choc ( in my case ! ), or doing an activity, anything really that can be sustained over the Week as a manageable target . What do you think ? It’s a way of trying to give the thread a new impetus ….

I hope everyone is having a good weekend xxx

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi! Glad I’m not all alone. Wonderful positives. Really like your number 1 Wendy. I’ve tried all sorts over the years but now have a 5minute regime in the mornings which works well. I did treat myself a few weeks ago to a new version, to me, of that famous 8 hour cream but this is an all over body spray. It’s worked wonders on my nails which have been really bad these last few months. A little pampering never did anyone any harm. Enjoy your new regime.
    SunnyB your organisational skills never fail to amaze me. I’m afraid I’m a very last minute girl. Not good really but difficult to change the habits of a lifetime!

• posted by Izzy
    on

I absolutely love this. I started this thread and am just returning after a long absence, it’s really warmed me to see it still going!

1. I just reconnected with an old friend I’ve not spoken to in over 10 years!
    2. I’ve realised it should be easier than it used to be for me to meal plan… (I no longer need to cater for my husband)
    3. I have had a lot of motivation the past week or so…

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Hello Verano Wendleg and SunnyB! You are all such regular posters on this thread, I felt as though I should post too so you know I am reading and I appreciate your positives and your stories and I haven’t forgotten any of you.
    I have settled back into California life after our sojourn in Bath/Bristol. Both my OH and I are missing your beautiful fresh cod, your amazing selection of French wines and the Jura mountain cheeses we enjoyed so much while we were there. We talk about them all the time and also our weekend adventures that we went on every weekend to all the towns and cities and beaches in the SW of England, which were so delightful.
    I’m not so much missing the weather as I hear it has rained so much in the past few weeks and you’ve had some flooding. I hope all are well and it settles down — we have had a long and warm Indian Summer here — cold at night but warm in the afternoons and lots of blue skies. Actually, as it happens every fall, now we’re all starting to worry about getting enough rain and snow this winter but this long dry-fall pattern is very normal and we usually can’t ski by Thanksgiving anyway.
    My positives:
    1.) I found a new hairdresser closer to home and she encouraged me to add back more color, so now I am more brown than blond and it’s also a bit shorter, about collarbone length. It feels fresh and youthful and it’s fun to try a new angle on the hair-thing.
    2.) my family has almost settled the family estate after the death of my Dad this past spring. It has been very unpleasant, with four children and four strong opinions about how it should be managed but we are finally getting to agreement and the nasty phone calls are becoming more rare. My Dad was a bon vivant, not a clerical kind of guy and he did not keep clear records or property deeds and it is a mess. It has made me realize that I must be very careful and clear with my record keeping so my children don’t have the same disagreements.
    3) I’m still KOKO (keeping on keeping on) with BSD principles and the weight is still under control. I still eat low carb/good fat with a couple of days here and there with some bread but the bread isn’t as satisfying anymore so I don’t really care to seek it out. I did take an amazing five day baking bread course in Bath at Bertinet Bakery just before we left and I have made some of those incredible breads but it’s a rare event and I feel “breaded out” very quickly. I give most of it away to my daughter and neighbors so I won’t get carried away and invite back the dreaded carb-monster (really hate that dude)! I would like to do a bit more fasting but the OH is a very regular eater and gets annoyed with that idea so I can only do it rarely if we are not together and as he is 90% retired, that is getting harder!
    Best wishes from California to all of you!
    Julia

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Wow Wendy, that”s quite a list of positives! So glad things are going well for both you and OH.
    Izzy, good to see you back again. This thread has faulted a few times but there are a number of us who do our best to keep it rolling. Hope we will see you more regularly again.
    CG, glad you have settled back into life back home. Sorry I missed connecting in person while you were in Bath. A new hair style can work wonders for self esteem can’t it. Please post more positives soon.

• posted by Izzy
    on

Thank you SunnyB and all of you who have kept this thread running 🙂

• posted by Verano
    on

Welcome back Izzy. Bet you never thought your thread would be running after all these years but a few of us find it really uplifting especially when life doesn’t go to plan. Thanks for setting it up.
    Julia, lovely to see you again. I’m sorry I didn’t know about the death of your Dad. My condolences to you. Ahh, families, they can be a menace at times. As an only child I was able to make all necessary decisions after my mother’s death, far less stress than having siblings with their own ideas.
    Glad you enjoyed your time here and maybe you will visit again in the future. You are a marvel! I couldn’t bake bread then give it away! I made pizza dough for bases last week but froze so no temptation. Just every now and again my OH fancies a pizza and at least I can calculate the carbs etc in mine. I will probably only have a tiny taste when I make one!
    Good to see we are all making ‘personal’ changes to our appearance and taking more care of ourselves. Sometimes you just have to work with what you have and make the best.
    So good to see more activity on this thread.

• posted by caronl
    on

Welcome back Izzy! You started a wonderful thread, and I am wishing you well in this new phase of your life. And good to hear from you Julia, and to know that you are settling back in California. Though nothing beats Bath in my personal biassed view! My November has had a bit too much nonsense in it this week, but I am returning to the charge. And wendleg I shall be happy to join the next weekly thread. I think a weekly pledge is a good idea. I’ve just been reading Zoe Harcombe, where she writes that it takes about 4-5 days to get a food completely out of your system. That fits well within a weekly target!…. Glad to hear that your husband is feeling better.
    Positives:
    1) a superb autumn walk this morning, enjoying the clear blue sky, crisp frosty grass and lovely Autumn colours
    2) Still in my healthy BMI (just!)
    3) friends are buying tickets for the Christmas concert – will be good to see some friendly faces in the audience! And also just feels good to have made some close Dutch friends and feel at home here.

Have a good week one and all.

Please log in or register to post a reply.