Positive Thoughts Thread Anyone?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Verano
    on

Good evening. Well today has been a strange one. Has anybody lost their ‘taste’ for food? I just seem to have lost all enthusiasm for food but that’s not to say I’ve given up eating. I just seem to be really bored at the moment however I do have some positives……
    1. Had an open sandwich with prawns and lettuce for lunch. I don’t eat bread very often at all so I really enjoyed my ‘mindful’ meal.
    2. Daughter called yesterday which was a treat.
    3. Had a new exciting jigsaw delivered today so now have something to occupy my hands for the next week!
    Hope this week is turning out to be a good one for everyone.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi V, yes I too have lost my enthusiasm and crave simple things like a boiled egg mashed with mayo. Lunch today was hot roasted chicken breast with roasted red peppers, normally served on a courgette salad with homemade garlic, yoghurt and lemon dressing. Today I just ate the chicken with the peppers and nothing else. It reminds me of when I used to cook big Sunday lunches for all the family and by the time I finish all the work I couldn’t be bothered to eat it. Never mind, I am sure it will pass.

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Hi there! Yes! Im joining in admitting all my scrumptious offerings are just sitting there . . . looking about as appealing (to my eyes) as limp lettuce. MOST people would be GRATEFUL for choices such as smoked salmon, atlantic salmon steaks, plain and fancy flavoured tuna, pork – (chops, roasting “lump” and steaks) – beef steaks, bacon, chicken – (roasting pieces, breasts legs) . . . turkey leg roast (with apologies to sixturkeys! I do hope it isnt (part of) one of your relatives!) – then there are the homemade mince casing quiches, 6 choices of cheese . . . (Gouda, Maasdam, brie, feta, regular, cottage) – cauliflower, leeks, shallots, shredded salad, bell peppers and fresh spinach in the pot by the back door . . . sundried tomatoes and stuffed mini bell peppers, baby beets, gherkins and jars of crushed ginger, garlic, chilli etc., . . . avocados . . . eggs . . . pate . . . nuts nuts nuts, cherries, raspberries, blueberries, strawberries, passionfruit and rhubarb – (all frozen) – cocoyogo . . . milk, full cream – and the spice offerings which flavour my coffee . . . cinnamon, nutmeg, mixed spice.

And I just stand and look at that array and ask myself . . . what am I going to eat today? Quite disgusting really . . . because I have the best of the best there is on offer available. Time to readdress my grateful lesson in life. Quite obviously Ive been way too indulgent . . .
    V I too LOVE jigsaws! and currently have three on the go currently. . . . One is of zinnias with complimentary smaller “filler flowers” – (just the blooms!!!) – and presented a SUPER challenge just to get the edge in place . . . ! I wont let it beat me but I believe it could be years rather than weeks before it is done! But then Duckie LOVES a challenge!!! Have a great weekend all!!! Quack! Quack!

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

this evening, curry paste (I used tikka massala), prawns, light coconut milk, spinach. abt 7 mins. One pan. Delicious.
    Duckie, that’s one big fridge you’ve got there.

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Hi sixturkeys 🙂 Yes it is . . .!!!!! – anything you need, between the pantry, fridge and freezer . . .? Ive probably got it!!! I bought a two door (side by side) . . . as I live some 15-20 from a store, so like to have PLENTY of choices and stock on hand . . . the 15-20 minutes + parking/shopping/+ the return journey for just a few simple things makes for expensive time, petrol and patience 🙂 Ive always been a self sufficient “squirrel” . . . so glad I learned that lesson early – obviously in preparation for the move to where I now live 🙂 Returning to the now minute of the day . . . Ive just a short while ago found a bag of – (hinterto unmentioned as a choice!!!!!!) – king prawns!!! incorrectly “filed”/put on the vege shelf in the freezer!!! They have been added to . . . coconut oil, leeks, broccolini, capsicum, crushed ginger and garlic – spinach, and a little shredded coconut will be added on serving. Brunch will shortly be served! Quack! Quack! Perhaps (is it MrCC with the prescetarian O/H) might like this as a very tasty treat/alternative meal? Quack! Quack!

• posted by alliecat
    on

You are both on my culinary wavelength, ladies!

• posted by Skipping through the tulips
    on

Me too. I’m just not really hungry at the moment. So spinning this into something positive ….
    it’s going to be easier not to be tempted
    It’s my turn to clean the school this afternoon : ( But it’s a like a workout and scrubbing all those tables is going to help tone up those bingo wings.
    I’m feeling so much better than yesterday
    It was still not quite dark last night at 7:30 and the clocks are changing soon so lots of lovely long evenings just on the horizon.
    My teenage daughter has finally started cleaning her bedroom.
    The birds are singing
    Happy friday

• posted by Verano
    on

Thank you for reassuring me that I’m not the only one in food doldrums at the moment. Maybe it’s just the time of year almost spring here and almost autumn in the Southern Hemisphere. Hope we are all back into BSD ‘foodie heaven’ soon. Maybe it’s time for a new ‘foodie’ thread. Lovetocook always kept us going with bright ideas!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Sorry for being AWOL from this thread for a couple of days. Have been quite unexpectedly busy, but I’m back.
    V – I know what you mean about ‘food doldrums’. Think it happens to us all at some point – I know it does me on occasion. Hopefully something suggested has sparked your interest and will get you rattling the pots and pans again.
    S-G – sometimes it’s the simple things, good produce simply prepared, that are most satisfying. Would be interested in knowing what goes in your courgette salad?
    I’m planning a cosy meal for two this evening – parma ham with tore fresh mozzarella and basil, dressed with a drizzle of balsamic and olive oil / osso buco with asparagus and sugar snaps and finishing with lemon & lime posset. Not thinking about the calories, but should be okay on carbs.
    Skipping – good to see you posting positives and I’m glad you’re feeling better. I too am enjoying the lengthening evenings. No sunshine here today, but it’s not raining so counting that as a plus!
    Okay, lets’ have a go at some positives …..
    1) Have almost finished drafting the village news letter for April – just need to do the final tweaks and print for delivery to our distributor by Wednesday.
    2) OH had his gastroscopy yesterday and nothing sinister found, although they now know the cause of his reflux. His consultant is confident this will be well controlled with daily meds and small adjustments to diet and life style. The diet bit will be my challenge of course, as I’ll have a few changes to accommodate his new requirements, but we’re pleased nothing more invasive is required.
    3) 24hr fast yesterday, as OH was nil-by-mouth from early morning, so I thought I’d just abstain right through to evening, when we had homemade chicken soup, which I followed with a little kefir with some coarse milled flax and nuts, with a spoon of tahini. Today I’m on 17hrs at the moment and given the planned menu for tonight, I’m looking to get to 19/20hrs.
    4) Really enjoying seeing the frisky little black faced lambs in the field at the end of our road. They belong to our friend’s 12yr old son who is at a farming academy training to be a farmer. He keeps a small flock on his Mum’s farm and he’s are proud as punch to have new lambs.
    Hoping for friendly weather this w/e, so that I can do some gardening – fingers crossed. Whatever you have planned for the w/e, hope it brings positives your way and will be looking forward to reading about them.

on

Hi Sunny, you asked what goes in my courgette salad – please dont laugh – courgette cut into rings on a spiralizer. Maybe sometimes a small amount of spring onion but the pile of courgette is what makes it, plus the yoghurt, garlic, lemon juice and olive oil dressing. Couldn’t be bothered making it and it needs to be fresh each time.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Thanks S-G, will be giving it a try, I like raw courgette and the dressing sounds good, I’m thinking one could maybe mix in some cucumber and perhaps a little celery and even just a little chopped nuts or seeds. Will have a play when I’m in Turkey.

• posted by Verano
    on

Sunny that sounds like a lovely meal…. Enjoy! Glad your OH is OK at least you can go away now without worry.
    Well I have picked myself up today and I have to say that today has been the first day that I feel really back to normal since my op 10 weeks ago. So now it’s onwards and upwards with my positives…..
    1. This morning I slowly ate yogurt, walnuts and stewed rhubarb. I stew around 450g of rhubarb with a couple of eating apples and plenty fresh grated ginger. A touch of water and microwave for around 15 minutes. I then portion and freeze.
    2. My find if the month…. Silicon freezer trays. They are wonderful. I have normal size and large ‘whisky’ cube size which are about 2″cubed and are great for freezing tomato sauce etc
    3. Have really enjoyed reading all of the posts here today they have lifted my spirits so thank you all.
    Have a great weekend.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

I went through a period of food disinterest a couple of months ago, V, and you know how much I love to cook and experiment. I slugged around in the kitchen aimlessly, falling back on omelettes and cans of tuna plopped on lettuce. A random encounter with a fresh passion fruit snapped me out of it. I’d never tried one before and the stats are rather miraculous for a fruit (17 cals, 2g sugar, 2g fiber), which as you know I basically never eat, so when it cropped up at my local organic shop I figured I might as well try it. I scooped out the insides, seeds and all and ate it in two spoonfuls. It was like an adrenaline shot straight to my heart, so bright, so tangy, so sour, velvety soft like custard but full of crunchy bits. I absolutely loved it and it totally rebooted my culinary system.

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

Out of curiosity (and via Profile -Topics Created) I found Esnecca’s one year anniversary post from 1 August 2017. Those results are jaw-dropping. Just wow. I can’t think of enough superlatives.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

I still can’t quite believe it myself, sixturkeys. I got a new doctor recently and she couldn’t believe it either. If I hadn’t had visible proof in the form of a complete lack of surgical scars, she probably still wouldn’t believe me. XD

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

I can see I’m going to be even more addicted to this site by going back and reading every post you ever made!

• posted by wendleg
    on

Esnecca I was a fruit junkie and would chuck all sorts of fruits into my Vitamix with gay abandon every morning, adding in oats ,seeds , spinach and almond milk and whatever else I thought ‘would be good for me ‘ !!!!!!!!!!! I have weaned myself off the ‘confectionery on a tree ‘ now and have only berries but that is interesting what you said about passion fruit . I fully appreciate your description of the taste sensation. My favourites were custard fruit ( anone ?) here which have a creamy white texture almost like lychees.
    I think it would be dangerous territory for me to start eating passion fruit though ………
    Hi sixturkeys ! I’m inspired by Esnecca’s incredible success too !
    Glad you are feeling uplifted V . I really felt that today driving home in glorious sunshine.
    Sunny ..so glad your hubby ‘s condition can be managed and I have no doubt you will help him adjust. I hope you had a lovely meal together.
    I am loving driving to work in daylight at 6.45,skipping and I enjoy the longer evenings too. The clock change will make for darker mornings but Spring is definitely my favorite time of the year.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

wendleg, the shop only carried passionfruit that one time. I keep looking everywhere I go and I have yet to see it again. Scarcity can be our friend sometimes. Another plus is that the seeds are incredibly sour. If you search for passionfruit recipes, you’ll see they all assume you want the pulp alone (and a ton of added sugar on top of that, of course). When you eat the insides intact as they come, pulp and seeds together, the sour hit is intense. Even I had to stomp my feet and woop loudly, only in my case it was joyous because my palate is no longer sugar-adapted so I love sour flavors. Still, it’s eye-watering enough that you wouldn’t be likely to go on a mad passion fruit binge. Your tongue would shrivel like a raisin. 😀

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Hello Esnecca! We have never met but you have been spoken of fondly by other posters! Nice to meet you! I too LOVE passionfruit – and yoconut (coconut yoghurt) . DIVINE!!! yoconut sprinkled just with a little spice . . . is also yummy . . .) Backdoor tubs have my rhubarb plants (mentioned further up) and I add passionfruit and/or strawberries/raspberries to it for a natural added sweetness. When fresh fruit is in season – and therefore less expensive . . . choosing to eat such small quantities these days doesnt always see it all consumed before they spoil 🙁 (Disliking waste!) – I now keep half fresh and the mini sandwich bags are ideal for the other half. One freezer door shelf contains/is dedicated to small quantities of frozen cherries, raspberries, blueberries, passionfruit, rhubarb – to be selected when the urge takes a hold! A few weeks ago when a friend came to visit, our impromptu dessert was a dollop of yoconut, some mixed frozen fruit with fresh ones intertwined, and a couple of pecans crushed over the top! Again nice to meet you 🙂 Maybe you can/would like to join CheerLeader Duckie’s pom pom practice classes on Mondays at 10am?
    Music to begin the upcoming session is . . . Travelling Wilburys “Well its Alright!” closely followed by . . . Dire Straits “Walk of Life!” . . . That should get us in the mood for a GREAT week! After that . . ? its up to you 🙂 Quack! Quack!
    My (reportable) positives are :
    *Packing completed for my holiday 🙂 Make up to be the last thing before zipping 🙂
    Autumn was confirmed with my first Cyclamen blooms . . . . SO DELICATE AND EXQUISITE – growing wild after i discarded the remains of a potted plant gift a long time ago . . . *(DOUBLE positive there!) –
    sixturkeys . . ? The “do a Duckie” list (love the dub!) – is almost completed (for now . . .!!)
    *Fridge has had a rearrange, and things actually fit and flow now – jut the freezer to go 🙂
    AVAGOODWEEGEND everyone 🙂

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Hi SunnyB 🙂 Great new re O/H. That must be a great relief! And sounds easily managed with patience and perseverance which you both obviously have 🙂 The mental picture drawn from your description of the neighbours lambs drew smiles and misty eyes 🙂 I imagined (two of my) grand-children of similar ages interacting with them and made it even more real for me:) Thank you 🙂 Quack! Quack!

• posted by Verano
    on

Good morning!
    I know it’s only early but I have one huge positive….
    Esnecca is posting again and as usual has hit upon something really useful.
    Passion fruit….. ‘tangy and sour’. This description fits my stewed rhubarb really well too. ‘Tangy and sour’ seems to have replaced hot and spicy which in turn replaced sugar way back in the early days of changing tastebuds. Maybe that’s why I’ve been suffering in the ‘food doldrums’. Hopefully I now have the answer.
    Secondly, I can’t believe just how stupid I am. Back to passionfruit, which I also love, I thought I would check them out on fatsecret and ‘bingo’, ‘light bulb moment’ I have been here for almost 2 years and 9 months and the penny has only just dropped. So I started reading again and found a really straight forward basic website “carbs you can digest are the ones we are concerned with…. as the number of net carbs reflects the grams of carbohydrate that significantly impact the blood sugar level’. So there we have it. Why then have I ignored the fibre in fresh produce and always counted it in with my carbs? I have never distinguished between packaged foods, and the labelling which differs via country, and ‘passionfruit’ eaten in the UK, Europe, the US or Australia the carbs of which should be counted ‘net’ wherever you live.
    So its back to the drawing board with new goals of 25g of carbs which I’m sure is achievable and 1000calories.
    Sorry if this isn’t the appropriate thread to post on and sorry for the length of the post…. but…. Thank you Esnecca for helping me see the light!

• posted by wendleg
    on

Yes, passionfruit is on my radar now too V ! It’s easily sourced here ..not exactly local though ! I didn’ t ‘know’ Esnecca before but had heard so much about her and I am sure she has loads more to share with us.
    I am buzzing a bit today as I am into the 70s bracket.Ok it’s 79 kg but not long ago I was happy to descend into the 80s. That’s a real positive because I am a bit of a slow plodder !
    The sun is shining again today and I think we are due to have a week of temperatures averaging 18 degrees despite crispy fresh mornings. I am off to aqua gym in a bit.
    Duckie , your posts are bursting out of the page as usual. Well done on the packing prep. I am sure you will navigate those buffet tables with ease !
    Wishing you all a lovely weekend xx

on

Just to chip in on the passionfruit. Are you saying we shouldn’t eat it. I know it is 97cals per 100g and 20g carb (11 sugar and 10 fibre) but in my estimation the pulp from a whole PF is only about 30g so divided down it is 29 cals and 6g total carbs with around 3 and 3 mix of sugar and fibre. (Edit: just found Enseccas post – so I can have one now and then) So, considering I eat around 2 a month – question – should I still eat it. We dont have a lot here unless you make a special trip to Grand Frais (massive fruit and veg outlet). Also, some of you are saying it is sour and bitter, then you are eating it wrong. When I lived in Oz it was always said never eat a PF until it looks like the balls of a old man, shrivelled and very dark in colour. Maybe little and not often is the key.
    Positives:-
    1. being a bit further south than wendleg it is around 21 degrees here
    2. it is my husbands birthday – i.e. he is still alive
    3. just done a load of exercise before my meal out tonight.
    Have a lovely weekend everyone.

• posted by Skipping through the tulips
    on

Been for a lovely run/ walk and saw lots of smiley people doing the same.
    Have learned something new ( passion fruit)
    Am going to my favourite fruit and veg shop to buy food which I’m then going to cook outside.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Nice to virtually meet you too, WoodDuckie. 🙂 Given your green thumb and reduced consumption these days, have you considered fermentation? I have become a huge advocate for home lacto-fermentation and as I discovered last summer when my father’s heirloom tomato crop produced 5 pounds surplus a week for 2 months, there is nothing better for preserving mass quantities of fresh foods. Also to our advantage is that the lacto-bacilli eat sugar to reproduce, so if you make a raw salsa out of tomatoes, green onions and hot peppers, say, by the time it has fermented a few days later much of the sugar in the tomatoes has gone, replaced by billions of probiotic bacteria to make your gut happy. I have not fermented rhubarb yet, but I have fermented celery and I am completely addicted to it. I have an open jar and one in reserve at all times.

Fruit, as a rule, is not a good candidate for lacto-fermentation because its high sugar content tends towards alcoholic fermentation. I did make a fermented cranberry relish but honestly it wasn’t that great. I won’t be making it again. Fruit is a perfect candidate for dehydration, however. I dehydrate in-season wild blueberries, raspberries and boysenberries and use them (still very sparingly) over the long winter months. Raspberries dehydrate so beautifully and they’re so wonderfully crunchy. They make a fantastic addition to yogurt.

• posted by Verano
    on

Passion fruit can/should be eaten as and when you fancy if it fits into your personal plan. I’ve just bought some but they will take time to ripen into their wrinkly form as described so perfectly by s_g! When they are ripe they have a wonderful fragrance but I agree they shouldn’t be sour. Best way to ripen them is just leave them out of the fridge and they ripen up in their own time. Looking forward to mine!
    Enjoy your meal out tonight s-g and happy birthday to OH.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Verano, I’m so glad you made that connection. The differences in food labeling laws are so endlessly confusing that labels alone can’t tell us what we need to know. Being able to subtract fiber from fresh food stats is what makes it possible for me to eat, for example, a quarter pound of broccoli rabe with barely a carb gram to show for it. It’s also what makes baby spinach close to a freebie.

I use MFP, which is US-based. Fiber is a subset of carbs in its database. Fat Secret is UK-based. Does it separate out fiber as a non-carb the same way UK labels do?

Hurrah for your renewed purpose! Hurrah for fiber! You can do it, V. 🙂

s-g, I weighed my passionfruit innards (seed, pulp and a bit of the border rind) and they were 19 grams. The outside was dark purple with deep grooves, although perhaps not quite at the old man’s balls level. (Laughed out loud at that, btw.) From what I’ve read, it’s the seeds that are the really sour part. The pulp on its own was sweet and juicy, so I don’t think it was underripe by any means.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Positive thoughts:
    1) After years of fruitless searches, I finally found a really great kitchen sponge. Seriously. This has made washing dishes a joy for me.
    2) I talked to an old friend on the phone for two hours last night, just chattering away about everything like we were teenagers again.
    3) It snowed overnight, but on the plus side, it was just a very light dusting and didn’t stick to any paved surfaces so NO SHOVELING!

• posted by caronl
    on

Congratulations wendleg on getting into the 70’s. It is a fabulous feeling isn’t it. You are doing so well, as well as being such a fantastic support on the forum.
    My positives:
    1) Esnecca is back. You were one of the first to welcome me in 2017, and I was secretly worried that you had fallen off the wagon. Silly me. So pleased to see you back. I have been really struggling for a few weeks now, but feel reinvigorated to get back on it.
    2) Had a good visit to the UK and treated myself to some duty free perfume. I worked out that I last did that in 2007 – so the purchase was nearly guilt-free!
    3) The garden is beginning to explode with blossom – amelanchiers, cherry and apple to complement the neighbour’s magnolia. I love this time of year.

Have a lovely weekend one and all.

• posted by alliecat
    on

There you are, Caron! I thought you had gone a little quiet? Your property must be a sight to behold! I’ve often imagined
    what your beautiful garden must look like….Sunny’s, too! All I have to observe is a sea of mud and dead grass to look
    at, but in a few weeks all will explode with new life 🙂

Skipping, I think I need an enlarged map of the world, so that I can put pushpins into everyone’s location!

Essie, since this is the positives thread, I need to share this one with you, as we are in close proximity to each other.
    I’m sure you remember Kazz…She hasn’t been posting lately, but she has managed to drag this luddite into the 21st
    century, and we skype routinely. Telephoning wouldn’t be practical! She’s planning a trip to the U.S. in Oct. to
    spend a week with me in CT!. I am certain that she would be flying high at the possibility of meeting up with you, too!
    I hope Mom and Dad are doing well, and best to B. too. 🙂 Still have the tapas restaurant in my sights, as well.

Enjoy the rebirth that is Spring, all. Essie and I will wait patiently…

• posted by Esnecca
    on

It was a perfectly reasonable fear, caronl. A lot of people go radio silent when they fall off the wagon. Usually in those cases you see signs of it in their last posts, that they’re dispirited, in a shame spiral, feeling helpless in the face of constant carb assaults. My last posts were about having bought a new house. We moved in on April 1st and I’ve spent the year nesting like an osprey. Thank you for thinking of me. What can I do to help boost your reinvigoration? Name a food and challenge me to come up with a recipe for you. 🙂

Positive thought: There are so many kind and thoughtful people on this forum who give a damn about each other.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Firstly, it’s so good to see you posting again Essneca – welcome home! I love passion fruit, but it’s a very occasional treat – always use the whole fruit, seeds and all. For a recent dinner party, I softly whipped some cream and stirred passion fruit pulp through it and served with chocolate bean cake. Anyway, I was confident you would have been keeping the faith and maintaining Essie, which of course is exactly what has happened. It’s good to see you are still using your ‘not one step back’ mantra. Hope we will be treated to more frequent posts from you, now that you have found your way back to the forum.
    Secondly, thanks to all for the kind words re: OH’s test results. He just needs to get a supply of medication to take with him to Turkey and he’s all set. I’m double thinking things when prepping meals and serving him smaller portions. Our meal last night was very enjoyable and we had a very pleasant evening.
    Duckie – cyclamen have such a charming elegance about them. I put some in my garden last autumn and hope that they will come back this year. Do have a wonderful holiday – we’ll be waiting to hear all about it.
    wendleg – woohoo! back in the 70’s – brilliant!
    S-G – passion fruit is definitely best when the skin is well wrinkled. I sometimes buy them as shiny smooth fruit, which for some baffling reason have been reduced in price as being past their best – strange. Once I get them home, I leave them in a bowl on the counter and wait for them to ripen to a wrinkled ball before using. Happy birthday to your OH and have a lovely evening both of you.
    Positives ….. mmmm, let’s see ….
    1) Box of plants which were ordered online, arrived this morning so I need to get out in the garden to plant them in soon. Have given them a good drink and if the weather forecast is right, I should be able to get them sorted tomorrow.
    2) Oldest grandson has confirmed he’s keen to join us for the annual grand children’s camping trip again this August. For the last three years, we have been say we think it will be the last year he chooses to come, but he keeps surprising us by ‘signing up’ again the following year.
    3) Copy for village news letter for April finalised and printing done – that’s one pre-holiday thing ticked off my To Do list.
    Have a great w/e everyone.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

What?! Alliecat Skyping?! Last we spoke you weren’t even texting! Kazz has wrought a miracle, truly. Do you have a cellphone or are you doing it on the computer? I am 100% up for an October BSD party with you and Kazz. I’m still at the same phone number, so put me on the distribution list.

The rents are bustling along in good health, thankfully. My father fractured his wrist in a stumble a couple of months ago, but it could have been much, much worse so I’m grateful a simple cast for 8 weeks resolved the issue. X-rays confirm that he is fully healed. The boy is thriving at work and our dream home gets dreamier every day. When the weather warms up, you and the bearded one simply must come down to the Sound. A jaunt out to Fisher Island or a lighthouse tour, maybe?

• posted by caronl
    on

Hi Esnecca. Thank you for the offer of recipes. My problem is not the food that I can eat: it’s that I have rediscovered my craving for some unsuitable foods – biscuits and milk chocolate in particular. Oh and wine. I really thought that was all behind me. That will teach me to be smug. So I am in a real struggle with 3 kilos that have crept on and are staying on. Inspired by you and wendleg, I will reset with a fast once our guests have gone on Monday. (just deleted “I think I will try to reset” Woodducky will be proud of me!)

So really annoyed with myself. : – ( It has taken me quite a lot to ‘fess up to this, so please react gently if at all, people! I know you are all out there, and even when I am not chipping in, I benefit enormously from this forum. I hope to be back in positive form soon…

Allie we only have a small garden, but have tried to fill it with flowers all year. Only trouble is that there are now several hundred sycamore seedlings appearing amongst the plants, and there is no space to hoe! Help!

• posted by wendleg
    on

Good to see you back caron ! Like Allie I was fretting ….
    I wonder if the temptations of carby UK food had an influence on you ? The lay out of British supermarkets and their ‘special offers ‘on cr*p foods infuriate me . Good luck with the fast.You can do it caron!!

Steady on Esnecca ! Allie is a master Skyper but a smartphone has yet to appear ! Kazz will be sure to sort that ! I am imagining that get together in October ! Now THAT will be some special occasion !!!

• posted by wendleg
    on

Another positive for today. ..My son in Melbourne has announced he has a girlfriend . So what you may think ?? Well this beautiful girl is ……….French !!
    Phew.. I had feared he would meet a gorgeous Australian girl of which there are many and not want to return to France !! How selfish is that 😉 😉 😉

Seriously folks, I just want him to be happy !

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

caronl! Hello there! Positives abound! You recognise your dilemma – (possible/probable cause) – have a freedom gate/door awaiting when houseguests depart . . . AND know the formula to remedy the situation! And QUACK! QUACK! The ultimate positive? TRY and DO have been recognised! The positive expression and the (somewhat) negative doubting one. That made me smile . . . thank you 🙂 means so much to me for someone to remember, understand and apply those simple switches 🙂 as (in thi case) such depletes the frustration and disappointment, while bringing (proven) hope! Also made me smile broadly remembering the fancy words someone here educated me to . . . neuro linguistics . . . sounds SO DAMN FANCY! We have answers and avenues to repair and get back on the road! We’re here to cheer you on! Oh!! and speaking of which . . . its Sunday downunder. Tomorrow morning is Pom Pom practice . . . 10am. Plenty of hip action in this disguised exercise session BSD’rs! Warm-up will be to extended version of – “Listen to the Music . . .” (playing for change – song around the world) – the following list of YouTube offerings – “Higher Ground . . ” “Get Up Stand Up (Playing for change around the world) – are produced in a similar fashion and equally as entertaining/informative for the “world” journey”. (Uncovered a whole host of must watch videos with intriguing situations/locations and instrument variations used to create the entertaining clips – In Higher Ground, check out the “rusty” guitar which looks like it was made from a flattened colander!) 🙂 (Get Up and Stand Up could be BSD’ers anthem . . . ” . . .never give up the fight lyrics are VERY appropriate!) Then . . .? we will really get down to it with . . .? “Walk of Life” – Dire Straits . . . woohoo!!! Anything further musical accompaniment for adding to the session is individual choice 🙂 Enjoy the rest of your weekend – Im off to have brunch and enjoy some more of these “Playing for Change” offerings! Love learning and travelling and this journey is FREE!!!! QUACK! QUACK!

• posted by Verano
    on

Good morning!
    Caron draw a line under it and move on. 99% of us stumble at one point or another and when you reach that crossroads then you make the choice to continue or not. You will carry on because you have come so far so why let one holiday faux pas ruin all that good work.
    Yesterday was the first day of my new regime and also my first positive ….
    1. I managed less than 1000 calories but just 30g carbs, five over my target. Nonetheless I have a renewed enthusiasm and know I can get down to 25g with a little more thought.
    2. Went shopping yesterday which I know doesn’t sound like much of a positive but, given my enforced restrictions the last couple of months, believe me it was an accomplishment.
    3. The magnolias may be nearing the end of flowering but the cherry blossoms are starting to look magnificent and I love blossom.
    4. Just one more ….. only 6 days now before the clocks ‘spring’ forward and my heart is lighter already. I hate the dark winter days.
    Have a good Sunday.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

caronl – we all stumble because we’re all human, so forgive yourself for being fallible and as V said, draw a line under it and get right back on track. I’m sure once you are fully back on the BSD, those 3kg will soon be discarded.
    Duckie – really like the playlist for pom-pom practice tomorrow – some great choices there!
    Verano – so agree with you on the long grey days of winter – they are just so depressing. Looking forward to the longer days, but trying not to think about the fact that by the time I come back from Turkey, they will be getting shorter again.

Definitely NOT a positive, is that today OH has managed to hurt his back, by trying to pick up a large bin of soil! He’s on enforced rest right now and dosed up with painkillers. He could barely walk when he first did it, but now seems to be a little more mobile without the same level of pain. Need to get him fully fit and mobile again, ready for our Turkey trip, so he’ll be under ‘Sunny watch’ for the coming week.

There are positives from here though ….
    1) Beautiful sunny spring-like day, which allowed me to get out gardening, plant in some new plants and refreshing containers, as well as retreating weeds.
    2) During my gardening session, I was kept company by a neighbour’s cat. He’s very affectionate, rubbing against me and settling down beside me, if I was in one place for more than a few minutes.
    3) Order placed for a few more plants – violets and sisyrinchium ‘blue eyed grass’, this time. Enjoying making new additions to the garden, which is developing nicely.

• posted by alliecat
    on

I wish I COULD help you out in the garden, Caron! Digging in the earth or walking on a deserted beach are two places of
    calm and nourishment for me. I know that you can reverse the 3kg gain..you have all the tools, and you know how to
    use them! Wine creep is an insidious thing, and it often trips me up, too. It does take some effort to return to those
    spartan days when we banned it all. Both Sunny and I have succeeded in losing a bit of our wriggle room in recent
    months too, so we will be working on this together 🙂

Oh Sunny, I’m sorry to hear about O/H’s back injury! I know that you will have employed reiki and everything else
    that you can think of to get him past this and “travel ready” by mid April, which I think is when you travel again
    to Turkey.

V., is good to hear that you’re getting out more, after so many months of recuperation. I can only imagine the
    degree of cabin fever that you’ve been dealing with! When this is all behind you, my wish is that your gait will be
    much improved, and you will be able to move with greater ease. Thinking of you xxx

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hello everyone.
    Hope your hubby recovers soon Sunny.I am sure you will watch over him very well. Love the positives on the thread . Glad you are more mobile, V. Duckie you are a veritable BSD phenomenon !!! Your posts always make me smile !

It is another glorious sunny day and this morning I discovered the perfect solution to renewing my wardrobe at low cost.
    It’s called a ‘ vide dressing ‘ in France where people sell off unwanted clothing on stalls in the local village hall. I picked up several dresses, tops, even quirky skirts ,all for a few euros in smaller sizes . Nice quality items . I think I should have planned to man a stall myself as I have lots of outfits which are too loose and baggy now.

I met a friend I haven’t seen for a while who was amazed at the change in my appearance.That’s always a boost 😉
    I am going to check the other threads now. Have a great week everyone xx

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Wendleg! Loads of positives from “pre-loved” clothing . . . one gets to see the garment AFTER laundering . . . REAL size, “look” of fabric, shape, “real” colour (and colourfastness!) – . . . AFTER laundering! Plus its new to us but with prior duty, doesnt carry the isolation we sometimes reserve for the “new” items we acquire 🙂 I love pre-loved chances to clothe “me” because styles of today dont compliment “me” to my best and most comfortable 🙂 The past styles are only available at such outlets 🙂 Enjoy your “rummaging”. Wish I was there beside you ‘cos even just looking is fun 🙂 Quack! Quack!!

• posted by Verano
    on

Good morning! Thanks for your good wishes Allie I’m plodding along!
    Well just wanted to add my positives for the last couple of days…..
    1. Entertained some friends for dinner on Sunday evening. First time we’ve done that since Christmas so a huge step forward even though I was tired afterwards.
    2. The’ miracle ‘ throat cream does seem to be having some effect. I have to admit my neck isn’t really crepey just a few lines on the wobbly bit down the middle. Anyway I’m going to carry on using it until the pot is empty.
    3. Have made a start organising my clothes for our upcoming trip. Starting to feel a little excited now!
    Have a good day…. its almost April!!!!

• posted by Patricia1066
    on

My positives are:
    1. I reached the end of the 8 weeks, and I still feel happy with the food I cook, and able to adjust for meals out without a fuss. So I will keep it up, rather than risk what’s working.

2. My GP is very pleased with the direction of the weight graph.

3. My hba1c is in normal range. GP said come back in 6 months, to check it again. He knows I check my glucose levels occasionally anyway, so we are both happy with the distribution of labour. 😁

• posted by alliecat
    on

Patricia, THANK YOU for sharing your success of sailing right through 8 weeks of the Fast800. Tell us the truth,
    it quickly passes, right? Are you planning on adding extra rounds? Getting your hba1c in normal range is the
    overwhelming prize, and we are all celebrating this with you 🙂 My Pom Poms are up in the air..Hooray!

Sunny, have a peek in your auxillary inbox…I’ve settled in there 🙂 We all hope your O/H is feeling some improvement,
    too!

Some days it does feel like we are “plodding” V., but what would be the alternative? Great fun to begin the packing
    and sorting for your upandcoming trip, and you may return feeling refreshed and motivated. Being housebound
    for so many months would affect anyone’s mood! You have been cleared to set sail, and that is the joyful thing 🙂

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Think we might need to know what the ‘miracle’ throat cream actually is Verano, so we can try too. It’s so exciting when you can start putting things together for a trip away. I know you are going to really enjoy you holiday, all the sweeter after your enforced confinement.
    Patricia – you’ve done brilliantly in your eight weeks and it’s good that your Doc is making approving noises about things too.
    Allie – I’ll be checking into my secondary email inbox soon, so watch out for some response/s!

Okay, well the last few days have been a bit stressy and I’m bordering on dynamic overload, but I can offer up the following positives ….
    1) OH continues to be in a lot of pain despite Reiki and painkillers (no THAT isn’t the positive), but he has an appointment with a Bowen Therapist tomorrow. She treated me a couple of years back and was very good, so we are hopeful by this time tomorrow things might have turned a corner with OH’s pain levels.
    2) Slowly getting things ticked off my To Do List.
    3) Another sunny day – very springlike and mood enhancing, which is very much what I need right now.

Keep posting those positive everyone, we NEED them!

• posted by Verano
    on

Sunny I know I can’t advertise here but if you look on the M&S website you will find a throat and décolletage cream. I think there is only one but the company begins with P. There is an offer at the moment with £5 off. Hope your OH get his pain under control soon it really is debilitating. The sunshine will help!
    Allie you are right it is ‘joyful’ to be ‘set free’ to roam again and today I feel as though I’m back to my pre-accident level of mobility! So all good here!
    Will post again tomorrow.

• posted by alliecat
    on

YES, V., please tell us more about the throat cream : I’m very nearsighted, so if I’m 3-4′ from the mirror, things are
    nicely blurred, and I don’t think I look too bad…But when I’m 10-12″ from the skype screen and seeing myself in close
    up, what a lot of wreakage is going on! Would be nice to see the turkey neck diminish in prominence 🙂 I think my face
    has slipped and slid a bit, too! 🙂 xxx

• posted by Verano
    on

Allie our posts crossed in the ether but if you check out the website it could be available in the US I really don’t know, sorry.
    Just checked it out and it’s a US company!

• posted by Patricia1066
    on

Allie, you were so right, I don’t think about bread now. My husband dropped the biscuits and cake when I dropped the grains. We both feel comfortable about the differences in our food. I don’t think everyone needs to drop white carbs but it’s given me more energy and I lost weight.

Thanks SunnyB for your good wishes.

Being in normal range for blood glucose is good, and without medication is amazing. Without Michael Moseley I would have been on a treadmill to medication and weight gain, and worse.

I am starting another round of 800, so I’ll be checking in regularly.

8 weeks does go by so quickly, but it doesn’t end then. Choosing what to eat is easier with only 800 calories; until I eat the spare tyre I’ll be keeping on keeping on.

Looking back I feel that I have learned so much about how food and hormones interact. I do like to research and the amount of referenced information here is outstanding.

Please log in or register to post a reply.