Positive Thoughts Thread Anyone?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Ha, Marie! I particularly like omnishambles!!!! That’s EXACTLY how I feel about what the mainstream media
    is offering up here as “unbiased” coverage of national/international news. My own life too, in the not too
    distant past! 🙂 🙂 🙂

• posted by Verano
    on

Not wanting to be political, nor wanting responses, but the US gun laws seem to be in a state of ‘omnishambles’, 18 school shootings this year, in just over 6 weeks, where is this leading?

• posted by Verano
    on

I love this thread and especially all the colloquialisms!

• posted by alliecat
    on

These school massacres ARE heartbreaking, V.! We are a society in decline, as painful as that is to realize.

I’m truly loving this bit of foolishness that I’ve started today. Glad that all of you have humored me by playing
    along 🙂
    Thanks to all!

Allie

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

I have Champagne tastes and a Lemonade budget.
    Mary
    xxx

• posted by Verano
    on

Me too Mary!!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

How about “she’s all fur coat, no knickers” ………. appears elegant and sophisticated, but is actually common. Or “he’s all mouth and trousers” has a lot to say for himself, but doesn’t have any real substance.

This has been fun Allie!

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

There are possible regional differences, we have always used ‘as much use as a chocolate fireguard’ rather than teapot. I love ‘dreckly’ too. So in tune with the Cornish relaxed way of being.

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Let’s throw some Aussie slang into the mix Allie, then you can really confuse your neighbours!
    Fair suck of the sav – give someone a fair go
    Fair dinkum – true, honest
    Trakky daks – tracksuit pants
    Bottle-o – bottle shop, liquor shop (off-licence)
    Servo – service station
    No worries – don’t worry about it
    No wucking furries – don’t worry about it – really!. Often abbreviated to “no wuckas”
    There’s loads more but I’m on my way to work at the moment so that’s all for now 🙂

• posted by SunnyB
    on

My favourite Aussie one is ‘toey’ – restless.

• posted by JackieM
    on

Very much enjoying the different languages it turns out we all speak.

My positives

1) since I got back from holiday several people have said how slim I look. Probably because I am wearing clothes that fit today, so they notice me more. Also how well and how relaxed (slight tan from sitting out last week maybe).

2) stairgate off stairs as puppy seems calmer – still got one on the Cat room, but they are responding well to the calmer puppy too and will leave their room to hiss at him (this is progress believe it or not).Dog minder Lady moved him onto different food, maybe it’s that (hope so!)

3) stuck to 16:8 today, and no food after 7.30 rule, partly because I’ve spoken about it here so that makes it official

• posted by JackieM
    on

Ps I am so going to say ‘no wuckas’ tobsomeone tomorrow first chance I get!

• posted by Theodora
    on

Me too, Jackie 😊
    And omnishambles – yes, def appropriate for Brexit😱

Allie another word just EVERYBODY says in the UK, but don’t think I’ve ever heard in the US, is “thingamebob” ………that thing / person that I can’t remember the name of right now. Which, when your memory has really gone to pot so that you can’t even remember the word “thingamebob” can be contracted to just “thingy”.

Pants………..absolute rubbish
    Lose the plot. ……….lose one’s cool
    Donkeys’ years………a really, really long time
    Throw a spanner in the works…….ruin a plan
    Well chuffed. ……thrilled, delighted
    Doddle……..easy
    Drop a clanger………make a social gaffe
    Take the piss. ……to tease. Also to be unreasonable.
    And finally (for now anyway)…..
    Moggy………an alley cat 😉, a cat with no pedigree, but often used as a totally interchangeable word with “cat”…..so, you could be called Alliemoggy😉😜😚

• posted by Sumo
    on

Been reading your post for awhile, not posted in over a year

1. Back on the BSD way of thinking
    2. I lost my way but have shifted 1st 9lb since Xmas
    3. happy to be a looser again

web sign for http://www.effingpot.com/chapters/slang/
    Reading those given, the thing that comes to mind is we have different idioms with the same meanings all over the country, no wonder non British nationals get confused?
    I now live in the SW with idioms like, “where you be” ( where have you been) “where you too” (where are you or where are you going too)? still don’t understand fully, broad west country folk and I have been here over 30 years.

• posted by Verano
    on

Smiling this morning after reading the posts. Jackie I think we all guilty of hanging onto clothes that are far too big but people really do notice when we start to wear the right size!
    I am struggling to find positives at the moment after having 5 days of ‘skiing off piste’ (not sticking to the rules) I am really in the ‘doldrums’. I know I just need to give myself a bit of a shake. I’ve become very lazy with my eating so that I grab a couple of crispbreads with cheese for lunch instead of making some eggs or a salad or even heating a bowl of soup. So my ‘really scraping the bottom of the barrel’ positives are …..
    1. I have identified my current problem …. this sounds like yesterday!
    2. I realise I need to get out my recipe books to find some ‘interesting’ meals.
    3. Had coffee with a friend who suffers with depression and always see her mood visibly lift when we spend time together. That also makes me smile.
    I always feel more positive after writing on this thread. So wishing you all a positive day.

• posted by Sumo
    on

Sounds like a low carb low cal milk (other liquids available) shake may be the shake you need? My favourite is Banana.
    Then be kind to yourself and make the changes you know will help.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Just popped in to say well done on the 1st 9lb loss, Sumo and welcome back to posting. The saying that completely baffled me when I moved to the SW, was ‘take it on’ instead of take it away/take it with you.

In a bit of a rush right now, but will catch up on all the posts later and hopefully put in a few positives too. Have a great day everyone.

• posted by KazzUK
    on

This thread really made me smile and in fact, Allie’s “Peckerwood” really tickled me, gave me a fit of the giggles which got worse the more I tried to suppress them! Was relieved to get off the train! People were beginning to stare!
    Here’s a couple of my favourites….
    Work? He wouldn’t work in an iron lung…..! – extremely lazy person
    It’s like pushing water up hill with a stick! – practically impossible/very difficult!
    Well I’ll go to the foot of our stairs – I don’t believe it!
    You could have knocked me down with a feather – extremely surprised!
    1 – gone down into the 15’s after 4 weeks of STS
    2 – saw crocus and daffs budding
    3 – light in the mornings when I leave for work at 7.15. Phew!
    xxxx

• posted by Theodora
    on

This thread always makes me smile, so pleased we are all continuing to find positives in our daily lives.

1) Had such a wonderful evening at the ballet yesterday, watching my granddaughter perform in Sleeping Beauty.
    2) After my “travelling” fast yesterday (never eat while travelling, and by the time we came out of the theatre it was too late to eat) I had dropped 3lbs by this morning, so now have 10lbs wriggle room.
    3) Just bought another month’s supply of Fage yoghurt on special offer! Have managed not to pay full price for it now since about last November – and I use a LOT ! Fortunately I generally manage to get it with a month’s sell by date.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Thanks so very much to EVERYONE who participated yesterday 🙂 🙂 🙂

Verano, I’m sorry that you’re feeling in the doldrums…Please treat yourself well, and make a nice lunch! You
    are so very worth it 🙂

Kazzi, I’m glad that you enjoyed “peckerwood”! You’re going to have to be careful using it in the
    American rural South however, because you might get chased by a “good ol’ boy” with a shotgun!

Okay, THEO…Now I’m a stray, mongrel, feral cat??? We only keep pedigree siamese, here! Didn’t
    you see Kazzi’s post skype remarks? She thinks I’m glamorous! 🙂 (I’ll have to see if she may
    be in need of a pair of glasses for near-sightedness). You are quite naughty, but always fun!
    I imagine the ballet was a spectacular evening.

Alliemoggy
    xxxx

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

In US we do “frothing at the mouth” , and yes it means angry here
    get some shuteye…..go to sleep

Allie, have also heard “not the sharpest knife in the drawer” for dull witted

And:

Not the brightest bulb in the box
    Has only one oar in the water
    a few cards short of a desk
    thick between the ears

sleep tight and don’t let the bedbugs bite ……..get a good nights sleep

like watching paint dry……boring

too soon old, too late smart …. sort of speaks for itself

as honest as the day is long …. very honest

green as grass …. naive

round heeled …. loose woman (tips over on her back easily)

muleheaded …. stubborn

til pigs fly …. unlikely to ever happen

til the cows come home …. a long time / end of day

when the chickens come home to roost …. wrong doing will eventually catch up with him/her

what goes around, comes around .. about the same…..wrong doing will catch up with you

when the cats away, the mice will play …. unsupervised folk getting up to no good

in your corner …….is on your side

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

Few more just popped into my head, then I’m done

up to snuff………adequate
    walk a country mile……go a long way
    right as rain……will be feeling better

• posted by alliecat
    on

Haha, LTC. You’re a wordsmith, so I knew you’d excel at this game 🙂 I’ve actually used “round
    heeled” in mixed company to avoid labeling another woman a “slut”!
    Just to add, off the top of my head, a few more:

“rotgut” – cheapest alcohol available

“bust a gut” – laughing til you feel ill

“steam coming out of his/her ears – very angry!

Anything else would be too coarse to commit to print!

• posted by Verano
    on

Up the duff ….. pregnant!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Just a quick duck in, to report some positives. We’re about to go out for the evening, so this is a bit hit and run ….
    1) Had a bit of a pamper day – waxing at the salon and a facial and pedicure at home.
    2) Currently 23hrs into my first fast.
    3) Looking forward to meeting with friends this evening.

• posted by Verano
    on

Sunny that sounds like an ‘ooh and and ahh’ followed by a ‘WOW’ and ending with a ‘lovely’!

• posted by alliecat
    on

That’s excellent, Sunny! So much respect for all of you 24 hr. fasters…My stomach is growling loudly
    after 16 hrs, and I can’t ignore it past 18 hrs. Hat tip to you mind over matter types 🙂 Not surprisingly,
    it bothers me a lot…Ah, maybe someday! I really do have a “low” pain threshold, I guess. It must
    feel so liberating, though. Well done!

• posted by JackieM
    on

1) just made the best cauliflower cheese soup, on a whim, and have had 2 bowls just before my 7.30 deadline. Full as a full thing.

2) have now technically started my next fast, going to see how it goes but have lots of meetings tomorrow so should be able to do it

3) daughters Glinda the good witch costume ordered – she’s 13, so basically has bought a tutu, pair of leggings and a t-short with ‘I’m a good witch’ on it. Hope it all fits is all. Eagerly waiting green fabric to arrive so I can crack on with son’s (basically am going to court loads of leaves and strips of fabric and then stick/staple them on to
    A green t-shirt). Am probably the only mother who enjoys World Book Day. Last year he went as the Pig from Lord of the Flies. 😂😂😂

• posted by Esnecca
    on

1) We made an offer on the most beautiful historic house I’ve ever seen and it was accepted within two hours.
    2) Today we met with the owner and agreed to buy 80% of his exquisite furniture for extremely generous bargain prices, so when we move into this very large home, more than three times the size of our previous house, we will be good to go.
    3) My mother came to see the house and help us pick the furnishings and then we went for coffee. She loved the house and we had the most wonderful time making plans for it over coffee.

There was no downside whatsoever to this day. All positive thoughts!

• posted by Flick
    on

Esnecca, that is so exciting and wonderful!

• posted by Theodora
    on

Wow, how exciting Essie – really hope that your purchase proceeds without a hitch and that you are settled in your beautiful new home very soon.

Funny that you are upsizing, just as we have been looking to downsize and are thinking of putting in an offer for rather a nice house just up the road. We may both be moving at the same time👌

• posted by Verano
    on

Well I’m smiling again this morning. We must be a great bunch of ‘smilers’ and I hope it rubs off onto others as well. Allie I’m not a faster either probably because I have mixed feeling about them.
    What great, exciting news on the house front for both of you. There’s nothing quite like the joy of having an offer accepted. looking forward to hearing your ‘moving’ journeys.

Well yesterday was a better day for me ……
    1. Had a very good BSD friendly day starting with frittata for brunch. So heading back towards ‘the track’.
    2. Read my eldest grandsons winning, 1st prize, story. Brought a tear to my eye it was so imaginative.
    3. Actually managed to resize and upload a photo for a visa. It has had me so frustrated I have been on the verge of trashing the computer. So this was a real ‘positive’.
    Hope you all have a good and positive day.

• posted by Marsie
    on

First time of coming into this thread after reading it, with a smile, very often. Wanted to comment on Esnecca’s wonderful house news. Esnecca, your new place sounds magical. Enjoy😊🎉

Also to say how many of your sayings I hear on this side of the world. Adding a couple:
    A kangaroo (or a sheep) short in the top paddock – someone a bit ‘dense’
    He couldn’t lie straight in bed – an inveterate liar or cheat
    Crook as a rook – feeling unwell
    Flat out like a lizard drinking – being so busy
    Slow as a wet week of Sundays – a tedious wait for someone or something
    What a galah – someone behaving like an idiot
    Too many more….

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

Marsie, thanks for adding those. All new to me, so adding to my vocabulary for sure! No one can match the cockney rhyme phrases (they are something else)…..but each country seems to have come up with things that make everyday life a little more colorful with a fun slant on things.

• posted by marie123
    on

OK – so ‘a sheep short in the top paddock’ has instantly become one of my favourite phrases to use – excellent!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Not sure where the day has gone, been busy with the village hall admin and time has slipped by rapidly. Anyway, there has still been time for some positives, which are:

1) Stretched my 16:8 to 18:6 today.
    2) Doing a belated Valentine meal for OH and me this evening.
    3) Had a nice chat with Mum this afternoon.

Loving reading all the positives and colloquial phrases – keep them coming folks!

• posted by Flick
    on

Here are some positives from me –

1. I have found a pair of jeans in the cupboard that both fit and are comfortable. No idea how I overlooked these but they are fantastic
    2. Salt!
    3. My camping gear is all washed, dried and packed away ready for the next adventure

• posted by treelady
    on

Here are some positives from me this week –
    1) I have discovered the herbal tea by Pukka called Tumeric Active with tumeric, ginger and galangal. One large pot of tea with lots of extra grated ginger in it does me through the middle of the day and cuts down on my tea / coffee with milk consumption.
    2) 3 out of my 5 chickens have started laying again – so satisfying to cook with your own organic, free range eggs – yum!
    3) A pair of Kites have started to build their nest in the Oak tree at the bottom of our neighbours garden and we have a birds eye view from our bedroom window.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hello All …. some lovely positives being posted. How lovely to be able to eat home laid eggs.

Have been having a bit of a tidy around the house, as we have my folks coming to stay for a few days. Whilst tidying a bedroom, I found a bag of bits and pieces, including a tiny roll-on perfume. Put on a dab and remember why I used to love it – sadly a quick internet search shows it’s no longer available, so once the few drops I have left are gone, they’re gone!

My positives for today are:
    1) Seems I’m still reaping benefits from my 23hr fast earlier in the week, as the scales showed another unexpected small dip this morning despite a two course belated Valentine meal last night.
    2) Had a lovely evening with OH, listening to music and chatting – too often TV precludes the chat.
    3) Have found a pretty box I’d tucked away in a cupboard, which I can now use to package our 12yr old grand daughter’s birthday present.

• posted by Sumo
    on

1. Had a good nights kip
    2. The sun is shining the sky is blue
    3. I thought today was a free lunch day with the customer, no such thing, early start early finish no lunch, so an unexpected day (1/2 day) of fasting and feeling good about being peckish?

Not all there or to bright

Few bricks full of a full load,
    Not the sharpest pencil in the box,
    All the lights are on but nobody’s in.

• posted by Sumo
    on

Should be ” a few bricks short of a full load” DDDAAA Me

• posted by Verano
    on

Good morning! Lovely to catch up on the last couple of days of ‘positives’. This is about the only thread I write on at the moment. I’ve had an odd week or so, and have been so on edge, but things seem to be resolving themselves now so I can settle back into BSD life quite happily. Last night I had a small slice of apple tart, the first pastry I can remember eating in the last 18 months. So nothing positive about that except….
    1. Had the apple tart, really enjoyed it, but it made me realise just how easy it could be to just slip back into my old way of eating and diabetes again. So have taken the positive step of talking to myself …… apple pie and diabetes or BSD and health …. I guess you know which way I am choosing from today. No contest it has to be BSD!!!!!!
    2. Saw some lovely purple and white crocus flowers yesterday. Just hope they survive the impending cold snap.
    3. Spent a lovely evening with friends, hence the apple tart, but the company was good.
    Good to see everyone still reporting their ‘positives’, let’s hope today is just as bright and sunny for us all too.

• posted by caronl
    on

1) The bright low sunshine coming through the trees this morning. Long shadows and a touch of mist. Gorgeous.
    2) Thinsulate – what a brilliant invention. An hour’s walk in 0 degrees and my fingers were still as warm as toast.
    3) A scrummy breakfast of scrambled egg, salmon and spinach. You can feel it doing you good.

• posted by JackieM
    on

1) today has been perfect so far, it is the kind of day to be nostalgic for, I am already aching that it can’t always be like this. Fresh crisp day, sun shining, son recounting his happy memories from reception as we drive towards his beautiful school (and we gave him that, those memories, by finding the school, omg I’m going to miss it when he moves next year, but we had it and are so lucky) dog really well behaved and adored everywhere he went.

2) when I was a kid I always wanted legs like my friend Jackie Bott. She had legs that when she squatted didn’t have a bit of flab behind them, they went in. This morning, I have those legs!

3) Looking forward to my spinach and mushroom omelette for lunch and creamy coffee. Then off to the gym.

• posted by marie123
    on

Forgive me everyone because this is a bit off topic.

caronl – I noticed you mention thinsulate and I’ve just looked up thinsulate gloves (I’d never heard of this material). Can I ask where you get them. Is it from an Outdoor Shop or are they just generally available?
    At the moment if I’m outside for any period of time my hands become so ice cold they become really painful even when I’m wearing my (woollen) gloves. Any advice would be great

• posted by caronl
    on

Hi marie123. I bought mine in the Netherlands, so not much use for you! But Marks and Spencer also stocks gloves with thinsulate, so could be worth trying those?

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Amazon have thinsulate gloves too, if you’d like to check them out on there.

• posted by marie123
    on

Thanks caronl and SunnyB – I’ll check them out on Amazon and on the M&S website. Marie x

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Marie, I have the same freezing hands problem. Do your fingers turn white? I only discovered that mine do when I was in the mountains this Christmas with 19F weather plus high winds. It was so painful it was almost violent, like I was in the ring with Mike Tyson. Then when I took my thick ski gloves off, I saw that my pinkies, ring and middle fingers were completely drained of blood, I mean ghost white. It was distressing, to say the least. They pinked up within 10 minutes of being indoors and warm, but I was taken aback that even thickly padded gloves couldn’t keep me from reacting to the cold in such an extreme manner.

The solution I found was surprisingly simple: mittens. Simply stated, gloves suck at keeping you warm. Mittens are great at it because they keep your fingers together and work with your body heat to keep everything toasty. Sure, they kill your manual dexterity and it’s impossible to do even the simplest task without taking them off, but when you’re out in the cold, a simple pair of woolen mittens easily do the job that thick insulated ski gloves fail at so miserably.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Thanks for the glove info, just ordered a pair on Amazon at £2.48 with free UK delivery (sent to daughters address)
    Positive thoughts:
    daughters move finally went well
    nearly at 8 week goal
    looking forward to trying on and throwing out lots of clothes

Please log in or register to post a reply.