Percentages

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Vicfish37
    on

I have previously asked the forum for advice regarding the percentages for Fat Protein, Carbs that we should aim fro (or to be a guide) in the 800 calorie diet. A number of people have replied, each giving different figures. I would be greatfull if anyone could suggest a site or article where these details are explained. Dr Michaels book and the Newcastle report just says 800 calories should be the target, not the nutrients within them.
    any help would be appreciated, thanks

• posted by Rubytuesday
    on

I would also really like to have this info…

• posted by OdetteL
    on

Great idea. I would also really like to know this – I always think the fat percentage in my diary is quite high. It’d be great to get some clarification of what to aim for.

• posted by Pat.Unlimited
    on

Not looked into this particularly just yet (I’m just completing Day 5) and I’m quite geek about this sort of thing, so will be giving it some thought.

For now I’m probably around 60% protein, with a little fat within that (such as bacon and egg yolk, pilchards), the rest being either non-starchy veg, a piece of fruit and some beans or peas.

To be honest, I’m just trying to get the best bang for my buck calorie-wise, as we have so few to play with. I’m all in favour of fat consumption in principle, but it’s so calorie dense that I avoid it unless it’s part of something else. Then, by the time you reject the starchy carbs – which is the basis of the BSD – that leaves protein, pulses veg and fruit.

It’s all a bit had hoc at the moment, but so far so good.

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi Vicfish37 et al

Optifast shakes were used in the original Newcastle diet x 3 daily. Also total of 250g non- starchy veg to provide another 200 calories Total calories = 800
    Multiply x3 the following breakdown of shakes contents + the veg ( you will have to work that out) & it might help you
    Go to Optifast.com.au (Australian company) hard to get shakes here, for more info
    Shakes contain – VLCD = Very Low Carb Diet
    Serving size 54g. Energy Kj 870. Energy cal 207. Protein 17.5g. Fat 4.5g. Carbs 22.5g. Sugar 17.8g Dietry fibre 3.6g Gluten No. Lactose Yes GI 24 – 33
    Check this out yourselves

Also go to Jenny Ruhl (American woman very knowledgeable on diabetes) her book =Blood Sugar 101 web site
    Phlaunt.com Or just enter blood sugar 101
    Once on site go to Diet. Then Nutrtional Calculator for weight loss & Maintenance eg protein, fat & carbs = what proportions are healthiest. Complete & enter the form to calculate your ideal nutrient intake for weight loss or maintenance. This is a good info site whether doing this 800 diet or other
    Best I can do til BSD put stuff on this site
    Hope this fills a geeky hole!
    Ps. Watch your fingers I keep catching the report post box when scrolling! Good job it doesn’t
    Eureka

• posted by Rubbu
    on

Hi… Try this link http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com
    In the 5:2 fast book it does state that protien intake should not exceed 0.8g per kilo of you weight. Other than That I too have yet to find recommend fat and carb grams or percentage

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Eireka
    That diet shake is more than 50% carbs. Doesn’t seem to fit into BSD guidelines unless I’m misunderstanding something
    Penny

• posted by Cazzowary
    on

The Optifast shakes are used here in Australia as part of a very low calorie diet to treat obesity and the carbs give you enough energy not to feel awful on 3 shakes a day (plus a cupful of non-starchy veggies)- I took them for about 4 weeks a few years ago and they are extremely effective They are also nutritionally well-balanced which I imagine is why they were used in the Newcastle study. Even 60 grams of carbs is considered low carb (less than 50 grams is considered ketogenic) and so they still fall within the parameters of a low carb diet. An additional advantage is they taste pretty good for a diet shake.

• posted by Rubytuesday
    on

I’ve only done a week but looking back through my diary I can see that a split three ways has given good results? Eg 30ish% for each, higher and lower on some days for each but not by much. Will be interesting to see if this changes over future weeks however, as obviously week one will give the easiest results… On another thread I’d read that people were aiming for 50g of carbs.

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Ruby
    That’s about what I aim for. Fats are often higher though, ( I stay within 800 cals) which is maybe good as they stop me getting hungry. Also just read Jenny Ruhls ‘low carb problems solved’ which says too much protein can stall weight loss as the body can convert it into BG. Not fat though.
    Penny

• posted by JudyS
    on

He mentions 45 grams of protein a day for women, 55 for men, and 800 calories a day, but no guidance as to per cent fat or carbs. Lack of guidance very disappointing.

Please log in or register to post a reply.