PCOS / insulin resistance

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Queenvix
    on

Hello- I have poly cyststic overy syndrome with insulin resistance so I am not diabetic but conventional diets don’t work for me as I have to eat less as a starting point than most people. I am hoping this would work and help to prevent me developing pre diabetes. I already eat low carb higher fat/protien and exersise 4 times a week doing resistance and hitts but want to shift that last stubborn stone/stone and a half.
    Can anyone advise if this diet is suitable for me or is anyone else who has PCOS doing this?
    Many thanks

• posted by lawnmower29
    on

Hello i have just started today and I am also doing this as a way of managing PCOS. I have had little GP help, just a PCOS leaflet as now that I am not having any more children the Gp said it’s just about managing risk factors.I had Gestational diabetes when pregannat with second daughter. so hello and yes, me too!

• posted by Queenvix
    on

Brilliant- lawnmower29 I’m going to start tomorrow so I’ll look out for your posts!

• posted by claire_cruick
    on

Hi ladies, I too have PCOS too but not diabetic/prediabetic (have diabetic parents) and thought I’d try this diet. The standard healthy eating plan I was given by the dietician required 6 portions of starches/carbs to be eaten each day. I love carbs but they really don’t love me as just looking at them makes me pile on the weight.
    I’ve done this strict 800 cal low carb diet for one week now and lost 4kg, which is unheard of. I’m not craving bread/potatoes, just chocolate, but hey, nothing new there!
    All the best ladies, what have you got to lose, other than weight??

• posted by Queenvix
    on

Wow that’s an amazing loss claire_cruik !! I’m the same I love carbs but I can’t really eat them. That’s great that it works for us PCOSers- thanks for letting me know that it will work- that’s will keep me motivated!

• posted by claire_cruick
    on

No problem, queenvix, I guess quite a bit of it was fluid loss, but none the less, an encouraging start! I’m using myfitnesspal to track what I am eating, and if you use it, it will flash up lots of warning about eating too few calories, but having that app on my phone is a big help for me. Best of luck!

• posted by Rainybow
    on

Helloooooo!!! I’ve got pcos too . we’ve been trying for baby number 2 for a while now and I feel that loosing weight is the key . ( number 1 came along when I was about 9kg lighter). I’ve also got diabetes and blood pressure so this diet ( hopefully way of life ) came along at the right time for me and makes absolute sense . I’m a few weeks in and only lost 2 kg but I know it’s because I’ve not been so strict as the weight loss happened in week 1 when I was following the plan to the letter . I just need to get back on the horse and be better . Would love to hear how all the other ladies with pcos are doing and would be great to support each other .

• posted by lawnmower29
    on

I did a PCOS Diva Jumpstart for a week this time last year. it was a good overall health coaching week, good for overall well being – I did lose some weight but found that the meal plans were not so simple to put together. I have been to a nutritionist before asking for help to balance blood sugar- but really she didn’t know enough about it. I definitely know that this is helping me lose weight already at the end of day 2! I’ve been a bit hungry especially right now, as used to be snacking by now but choosing to have hot water and lemon slice to hand helps!

I think the meals have been lovely so far. just off to soak raisins for the morning!
    Looking forward to success!! Night folks!

• posted by Queenvix
    on

I had the Bircher too- lawnmower29 it was lovely. Yesterday I was v hungry too and I also went to the gym so I could have eaten the cat/table leg whilst I was trying to get the kids into bed last night so I could go and eat my last meal!
    Today I have made some sugar free jelly and some cauliflower, ginger and carrot soup which has really helped. I also had some celery and ate my falafels in two sittings so it’s been better. I also feel like or is working which is really motivating!

• posted by Queenvix
    on

it will be great for us PCOSers ( or cysters as I’ve seen us called!) to support each other. That’s good advice that the weight loss slowed when you deviated a bit- those words have rung in my ears when I have been tempted to get too creative!! I put on so much weight when I was pregnant and it was because of PCOS but I didn’t know I had it then so I had no idea why! Its great at least you know that you have so you know how to fight it as conventional diets don’t work for us (I put on weight when I did weight watchers as its more then I can eat.) I feel like this is working for hopefully it will for you too- good luck!!

• posted by Queenvix
    on

Rainybow ๐Ÿ‘†๐Ÿป Forgot to add your name!

• posted by Rainybow
    on

Cysters!! I love that queenvix. Thanks for the encouragement , I’m really glad I posted on the forum as writing it down reinforced the reasons why I wanted to do this in the first place . I was so inspired when I first read the book but that was a while ago now so am re- reading the book . So inspiration and motivation back and hopefully less slip ups and more weight loss! I know that this works because during my pregnancy I was so very careful with what I ate and with out realising it was actually doing a low carb med style diet I also walked an hour a day . After I gave birth and went for check ups my hb1ac was back in normal range .( not gestational diabetes was diabetic before I was pregnant ) But two and a half years later the typical mummy not looking after herself thing has happened so not so good with diet and practically no exercise and surprise surprise diabetic again . I’m so glad this time round there is the book and forum to help me . Your right lawnmower29 the food is lovely , my favourites so far have been the lamb and aubergine , the skinny bean burgers and apple, mango, hazelnut yogurt . It’s definitely been easier on the weeks I’ve planned the meals for the whole week . Hope things are going well with everyone else . Let’s do this !

• posted by lawnmower29
    on

Aa hungry day today, have had a snack of about 8 almonds mid morning and this evening. I went to the gym again, feels good and have gone down 2lb in weight in two days – I have mainly peeeeed that away! ๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜† Ginger tea and hot water with lemon has been great for taking the edge of the hunger!
    The Bircher was delicious Queenvix! Beetroot falafel, messy but yummy. What’s so great is not having to think of ideas for meals – usually so stuck in a rut. Day 4 tomorrow means halfway through week one, determination is high at the moment! Next focus is stepping up the steps! Being off the school run this week takes 4000 steps off my day!
    I am enjoying taking care of myself, wishing you all a good sleep and a good week! ๐Ÿ˜Š

• posted by Squidgy
    on

Snackerlady – thanks for posting the video – really interesting and fantastic to see such positive results on some long term diabetics – gives me hope!

• posted by snackerlady
    on

You’re welcome Squidgy, isn’t it an eye opener! There’s hope for us all ๐Ÿ˜€ xx

• posted by Rainybow
    on

How is everyone doing ? I’m finding myself less hungry and today for the first time couldn’t actually finish the meals as I felt full ! This is totally unheard for me. Think my body is finally adjusting to this new way of eating tho it’s been tough going , I’m 4 weeks in and have fallen off the wagon a few times !!! I think had I been stricter at the start I would have gotten to this stage earlier . I’m 3kg down in total which is not as much as some but I’m chuffed . Now to add in some exercise planning to walk to all playgroups from now on , especially as the crazy wind and rain has cleared up ! How’s the first week been for u lawnmower29? And how are things going for u queenvix?

• posted by Rainybow
    on

Thanks for the video by the way snackerlady it seems like this is definitely the way forward in terms of diabetes care . it’s interesting to find out how much of this has been passed onto gps . My husband is a gp and knows nothing of this other than what I’ve told him . He’ll be starting a diploma in diabetes soon and am really interested to find out what he’ll be taught and if these newer ways of treating / curing diabetes will be covered .

• posted by Clare (BSD Admin)
    on

Hello cysters! Good luck to you all – sounds like you are doing really well and I hope this diet works for you. It should help and even reverse PCOS. You may have read Cassie’s inspirational story in the book, where she did the 800 cal diet having been on insulin for 5 years since developing gestational diabetes – not only did she manage to stop insulin and metformin within a few weeks, but her cycle returned for the first time in 5 years and she is now delighted to be pregnant!!

• posted by Queenvix
    on

Hello ladies- I am on day 7 now and I have lost 6lbs so I am absolutely delighted!! I just never lose weight so I am thrilled. I have stuck to it absolutely to the letter and done loads of excercise ( 2×1 hour fast paced walking, 3 hitts, 3x10mins rowing sessions and 3weight sessions at 50 reps) and most drastically I haven’t had a drink over the whole week!! ๐Ÿ˜ฑ I am terrified to deviate in case it causes it to slow down – which it will at some point but it’s keeping me on track! We booked a holiday to Dubai yesterday in 6 weeks time so that is even more incentive. Loving the food and feeling great!. I have joined the Facebook page ‘the 8 week blood sugar diet’ and it is a great support- I am Victoria on there- defo worth joining if you are on Facebook- great support. I’m also on Instagram as @thegymlovingfoodie putting up lots of pics of the lovely food! Good luck with the forthcoming week X X

• posted by Queenvix
    on

Thanks Clare and please thank Micheal for writing such a fab book! I am only a week in but 3 of my friends/family have got the book too as I have convinced them on my enthusiasm and my amazing results. Conventional diets just don’t work for us PCOSers so I am so pleased and amazed with the results I’m getting. I’m spreading the word on Instagram ( @thegymlovingfoodie) to my cysters that the book can help us ladies with PCOS as well as those with diabetes so hopefully others can benefit from the book too!

• posted by Clare (BSD Admin)
    on

Delighted it is working well for you Queenvix. As you know it will help reverse the insulin resistance which is contributing to the PCOS. Will pass the message on!

• posted by KateF
    on

Hi everyone!
    I also have polycystic ovaries and insulin resistance. I’m day 8 of the diet and today had some bleeding after years of no ovulation/menstruation. Hoping to be able to come of the metformin and get pregnant this year like Cassie in the book! Fingers crossed, but taking today as a good sign!!
    Nice to have found some women here going through similar things. I feel like PCOS is so common now? My sister just found out she has it too.

• posted by CallMeDeb
    on

Hello all!

Nice to see some fellow cysters on the board!

I self diagnosed myself in my early 20’s and luckily my doctor listened to me and did the tests to confirm.

I was insulin resistant for MANY years and tipped over into diabetes about 7 years ago (I’m 42 now). Low carb has always worked for me, but I have to admit I haven’t been the best at sticking to it at all.

I’ve been doing the BSD for 7 days now and, whilst I did struggle the first four days, I am more confident than ever that the combo low-cal/low-carb is the right one for me.

Good luck on your journeys!

Cheers,

Deb

Please log in or register to post a reply.