pasatta ?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by ROSIEHA
    on

Hi. Evergbody .
    JUST FINISHED MY FIRSDT WEEK AND LOST 5.5LLBS. WOW. – so pleased and i found it OK after the first few days. However I woke up this morning craving something spicy for supper. I have made a simple chicken curry with loads of vegs and pasatta ( sieved tomatoes ). I am going to go only slightly over 800 so pleased with that, but, wondering if pasatta is OK???

• posted by shalimar
    on

If you counted the calories and carbs you can eat whatever.

There are no forbidden foods …. you just have to count the calories …. and try and eat healthy foods as described in the book …. and on this site … in the headings above.

You may not want to spend your calories on tomatoes all the time … but you do need some variety.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Tomatoes are proportionally high in sugar, so being vigilant on serving size is a must. I looked it up on MyFitnessPal, and a 100 gram serving of Cirio Passata has 35 calories and 6 grams of carbs, 4 of them sugar. If you’re not diabetic or if you’ve tested your blood sugar after eating passata before and it hasn’t spiked, then it seems like it would be entirely manageable. Like shalimar says, it’s all about the counting so nothing sneaks up on you.

Congratulations on your great first week!

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Be a little careful which passage you use as I have noticed that some use added sugar as well as the natural tomatoes. I always read the ingredients as well as the nutrition table when weighing up whether to buy or not. I use it fairly regularly, counted, but am not a diabetic, so as suggested, if you are check for blood sugar spiking.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Blasted autocorrect, that should have been passata in the above post.

• posted by ROSIEHA
    on

Thank you all for you replies. I am not pre or diabetc, but my latest health check was a fasting BG of 5. So ,as in my late 60s, I want to address this and loose a stone I need to. However, in practise, I am finding the diet a little hard to understand. I get the 800cals or 5600 over a week, I understand 50 g of carbs daily, but can’t do it and often have 70 to 80g, but should I count sugar?, does it matter if I go to 1000 c at times.Where some of the recipes say ‘ a handful of nuts’ what’s that? . I come from an age where fat was banned so am finding it hard to add. Also, what is different about this diet apart from the 800 c to the Atkins diet where people started to have heart problems I believe. I understand abt processed carbs and white foods, but when I loose that 14 Pounds and BG down a bit, do I need to introduce a bit of bead or pasta etc into my diet or do you eat more of what I eat now.Surely we need some carbs , not going mad of course, in our diet? Sorry about this but I am very Confused.

• posted by shalimar
    on

If you had the 8 week Blood Sugar diet book …. buy it or borrow from the library, even interlibrary load …. your questions are addressed …. it’s really difficult to type out everything here, after looking it up.

It really is NOT the Atkins diet …. yes you can eat meat, fish, eggs etc. but you are also supposed to eat non starchy vegetables, greens, lentils, beans, berries …. full fat yogurt … and small quantities (weigh, or measure and look it up) of other fruits, vegetables, etc.

A handful … how big are your hands? …. your can buy a cheap scale … or some small measuring spoons … and look up the carbs and calories of the item … on the internet … on MyFat Secret … or numerous other sites.

The diet is planned mainly to try and reverse diabetes or avert diabetes.

If you don’t have much to loose … and that blood sugar reading isn’t that bad … you may reach your goals before the 8 weeks are up …… you can also do a 5:2 plan ….. read the information on the site …. see top line of this site … Blood Sugar Diet, Get Started, Get Active …. FAQ, etc.

As for things like a “handful”… which are not precise … use what seems reasonable to you … and weigh and measure … and look up that amount.

If you are confused … you most likely to need to read the book.

And ….. when you reach your goal ….. it probably is not advisable to add calories from simple carbs of potatoes, breads and such. Sure … you can add some … but wouldn’t it be better to add carbs and calories from mostly healthy sources????

Carbs counts include sugar.

• posted by Frog
    on

Hi rosieha
    there are several threads on max carbs – but the book doesn’t actually set a max limit (put “Max carbs” in the search box at the top right hand corner of the page to find them) most people here seem to aim for 30 or 50, or find that if you have 800 calories and no refined carbs, they sort of end up being that anyway.

The point of cutting out refined carbs for the 8 weeks is more that that period of time helps you break any addiction to carbs and or sugar that you may have.
    If you only have 14lb to lose, that may not be an issue for you, but many people here will attest that you can have a perfectly healthy diet for a prolonged period of time that doesn’t include bread, pasta, rice potaoes et al.

If you are counting carbs, then you will be restricting sugar as well – if you look at food labels, they will state:
    Carbohydrate xx.x
    of which sugars yy.y

Have you looked at using an online calorie counter, such as FatSecret UK or MyFitnessPal? as well as calories they will track all the major nutrients.

Please log in or register to post a reply.