Over the week 23 line

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Lynne, staggering results!!! You must be on cloud nine! 16 inches of your waist is amazing! “waves”

Hi Christine, I can’t seem to get on to the forum from my phone and I don’t often come up to use my pc. I hope your tummy is settling down. I absolutely cannot take anti inflammatories without catastrophic results, I once put ibuprofen gel on my damaged leg after being told it wouldn’t cause problems – I was throwing up half an hour later.
    These days I stick to a lot ( and I mean a lot) of chillies in my food as they have antiflammatory properties which don’t upset my stomach. My GP gives me zaicin cream for my arthritis (chilli based cream, POM) as my body doesn’t cope with the traditional meds. I wonder if chillies would help you? Not everyone’s taste, I know πŸ™‚

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi Judith,
    It seems like months since you were on the forum, I hope you had a good time in Australia?
    I can’t take ibuprofen! however, it’s so long since I had a problem I really did forget, then remembered then thought I might be able to get away with it now I’m on this diet? Why I don’t know! then forgot again when I came off them, it was the fact that I had a virus and thought it was a bit of that, it wasn’t until I went to the doctors and he said it was all related and I didn’t understand how that could be? So it was only when it was flagged up by (cherrianne I think) that it all fell into place, I am still having tummy problems, it comes and goes, thankfully, my back and leg are not too bad at the moment, that comes and goes too, I have got my back massager out of the loft and use that if I need to, it really does work.
    I cannot have chilliest as I am allergic to them, they actually set my stomach off! Amazing how different food affect different people isn’t it, it’s like an explosion in my stomach whenever I accidentally eat one!
    How is your diet going, are you on target? I am losing slowly, which is fine, I don’t think I will be 3 stone lost by the time I go to the doctor at the end of August, however I think he will still be pleased as I haven’t that much more to lose, about 9lb I think.
    Looking forward to seeing your posts in the future, we go away in the morning, back Friday, so will have a weigh in next Saturday and see how much I have put on! we are going to my brothers in Bezier, south of France to watch a couple of stages of Le-tour-de-France. I’m really looking forward to it, it will be a challenge however with my food! so we will see.
    Christine

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi Lynne,
    Well done another amazing result, there is no stopping you is there?
    I am away next week, so will have a weigh in next Saturday, then I will be starting week 23 on the following Monday!
    See you there.
    Christine

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi Judith *waves*. Good to see you on here – I was getting worried.

Christine – enjoy your holiday! I will have to stop soon, then work out how to maintain!
    See you when you get home πŸ˜ƒ

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Wowser.
    You are our guru. How amazing are you. How wonderful to be 10 something, keep up the very excellent work. Are you still sticking rigidly to 800 cals and under 50 carbs.
    Regards jan

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi Jan. Thanks. Yes, still sticking to the 800 calories and under 50 carbs. It works so why change anything? When I get to my target weight I’ll experiment a little until I find what I need to do to maintain. One thing is certain – I’ll be staying as low carb as now.

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Great stuff, had104 to loose now only hehe 88 lbs, so onwards. So I will follow your excellent example.
    Regards
    Jan

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Great Jan. Keep posting your progress please.

• posted by Switzerland
    on

Hi everyone,
    To add to the discussion on anti-inflammatories I’ve been doing some ‘lay-person’ research. I can’t eat chillies. I’ve been experimenting with turmeric lattes. I’m yet to perfect it. Have tried it with spices from my spice rack (turmeric, ginger and cinnamon) but feel I need to get to the shops to buy fresh turmeric and ginger from the greengrocers. If interested there’s information online.

• posted by HappyLife
    on

Hi Lynn,
    I really thought of your words about cutting out the fruit because the carbs weren’t worth it the last couple of days because I cut out the fruit and added in a third a cup of refried beans and two corn tortillas and what a difference it made in the food I can eat and the variety I have during each day! I love it and tonight we had 2 salmon tacos which were delicious and I’m still well under my 50 carbs for the day and under my calories!
    Just wanted to let you know that your words linger on and help me as I move forward and I really appreciate you!
    Wishing you the best always!

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Thanks HappyLife πŸ˜ƒ

Mmm … Refried beans! And salmon tortillas! Sounds yummy πŸ˜ƒ

Went for blood test yesterday. Nurse hadn’t seen me for several months & was amazed at my weight loss. Asked me how I’d done it, so told her all about the BSD – she’s going to get the bookπŸ˜ƒ Yes, she needs to lose weight.

I told her that I’d given the diabetes nurse a copy at the beginning of the year and she was really surprised because the diabetes nurse has never mentioned the BSD. Says it all really!

I saw the diabetes nurse at a funeral on Tuesday and see her professionally next week for test results. See what she has to say then!

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Morning everyone. Checking in at end of week 30.

Another 2 pounds gone, making a total of 76 pounds πŸ˜ƒ. Weight now 10 stone 8 pounds.

Since my fasting blood sugars stabilised under 5 I only do occasional tests. I tested this morning and the result was …… 3.9!πŸ˜ƒ Before the BSD I could never get it under 7.

Have a great weekend.

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Ooh Captain Lynne
    What a amazing role model you are for us all, I have lost 20 of the little lighters, and have 86 more to go, hoping to get there by my birthday at Christmas. To give myself an amazing gift of life back.
    Your average weight loss is very good may I ask how much did you loose in the first four weeks.
    Hope your weekend is great
    Regards
    Jan

• posted by Izzy
    on

amazing job Lynne πŸ™‚ getting so close to the finishing line!

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi Lynne,
    Well done again! I can only imagine what that weight would look like with me!
    I have had a great week in France with my brother, and I came home and had lost a pound! So you can imagine I am very pleased, my sister in law couldn’t grasp the theory no carbs, she thought I could have anything other than potatoes and sliced bread, so I got pasta one night, breadcrumbs on salmon another, of course I just ate what was in front on me!
    Christine

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi everyone – thanksπŸ˜ƒ

Jan – started at 16 stone (224 pounds). Week 1 lost 10 pounds. Week 2 lost 3 pounds. Week 3 lost 1 pound. Week 4 lost 1 pound. So in first 4 weeks lost 15 pounds. Week 5 lost 6 pounds, week 6 lost 2 pounds. Week 7 lost 2 pounds. Week 8 lost 2 pounds. Total in first 8 weeks was 27 pounds lost. Glad I’ve kept all my notebooks πŸ˜ƒ

Next 8 week lost 18 pounds. Next 7 week lost 15 pounds. In last 7 weeks (to date) lost 16 pounds. Making total of 76 pounds!

Christine – glad you enjoyed your holiday πŸ˜ƒ Great that you lost a pound!πŸ’

• posted by pennyrua
    on

Lynne – you are amazing! Such an inspiration!

• posted by Frog
    on

Hi Lynne
    congratulations on the weight and blood sugars – brilliant news!
    – I’m nearly at the end of week 8 now, 10 kilos lost, bit more to go.
    Haven;t logged on in ages – I decided I needed to get more active and less time at my laptop thinking about it!

• posted by Nettle
    on

Hi Team

Great results posted by you which keeps others focused.
    This week I had a few ‘alien’ moments. I felt so different and quite strange to be this weight. Based on past experience, the diet would have been long gone by now with no great expectations of ever being this size and shape. The BSD is the first to keep me successfully engaged.

On day 3 of Week 19 now, no plans to flip over to 5:2 just yet. Lost 14kg and loads off the waist and other hefty bits, hence the alien reaction.

Some days I have a lot more than three things to be grateful for, if appropriate I share those with friends and family, spreading the love. 😊

Planning the formal 10km walk by the end of the year and a beach holiday some time soon being as it is mid winter here with glorious snow all around. Buying a new swim suit is high on the list….it’s one of those REALLY???? moments. Relishing the thought of the choices available in the smaller sizes, and the bargains, big suits were never cheap!

Thanks again CaptL for your inspiration, welcome back Frog, thanks for hopping back in.

Nettle.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Thanks Frog. Nice to see you on here again. πŸ˜ƒ Life sometimes has a habit of getting in the way, doesn’t it?

Nettle – think my ‘alien’ moments come when I see my reflection in a full length mirror. A very different ‘me’ is looking back at me. Quite a shock!

• posted by Nettle
    on

Hi CaptL

Meet me at the Tardus let’s go to Planet Slim.
    N.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Sounds good to me Nettle.

• posted by josie53
    on

do you still take any medication

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi Josie

I have never had any diabetes medication. It was the threat of it (again) that led to me starting the BSD.

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Captain Lynne, You must surely be our biggest loser! I bet I wouldn’t even recognise you now! Where will you get a uniform so small??

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi Janet. I’m going to London mid-August to get new uniform. They’ll pin the jacket and skirt to fit, alsp pin the hem. After making the alterations they’ll post it up to me. Will also need more blouses and possibly a weatherproof jacket (but that can wait, just need to know the size).

How are you?

• posted by stringbreaker
    on

Lynne,

Just being nosey – “uniform”?

From the “Captain” handle, do I guess your a pilot?

John

on

SHB “you’re” – apologies for typo

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Sorry John – no I do not pilot a plane.

I’m a Captain in The Salvation Army – hence the uniform.

on

Lynne
    I so admire the Sally Ann – they do what they preach!
    A rarity in this World.
    John

on

Do you play in the band?

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Sorry, John, but no 😳

Lots of other things, but not playing in the band!

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Saw nurse today for test results.

HbA1c now 5.2 (in April it was 5.5, down from 9.6 in December). Now well in ‘normal’ range πŸ˜ƒ. Been told will not be taken off the diabetes register as “it could return at any time”. Grrrrr.

Blood pressure today 139/78. I’ve not taken BP meds for months and now they’ve been taken off ‘repeat’. Pulse and kidney function improved.

But ….. She checked my height, and I’m an inch shorter than I was 😱 Top of my healthy BMI is now 9st 7lbs. 😱

But ….. she’s recorded all my information to show the GP who is complaining about non-complient diabetics at the practice (and blaming the nurse!). She’s also telling patients about the BSD πŸ˜ƒ.

And a different nurse (who took my blood last week) has started the BSD after she asked me how I’d lost so much weight πŸ˜ƒ

Oh – and I’ve apparently got a new name – Skinny Minny 😳 A few people have started calling me that!

So a bit of a mixed morning, but really the only ‘bad’ bit was that – along with the rest of me – my height has shrunk 😱 so I shouldn’t complain πŸ˜ƒ

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Brilliant results captainlynne! We all start to shrink after we get to 35, so don’t worry about that. It sounds like seeing your results, is bringing others to the BSD, which can only be to the good.

So, Skinny Minny, keep up the good work and maybe you will get off that diabetic register in the end.

• posted by Frog
    on

well done Lynne – that’s brilliant
    Unfortunate relationship with height and BMI
    My parents both got shorter as they got older – I measured myself this morning, and I am still 164cm high – only my waist that’s shrinking thankfully.
    I feel as if my posture has improved a lot with BSD and losing weight – someone said I looked taller the other day, rather than noticing I’d lost weight.

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Hurrah for skinny minny long may she be so. Bril πŸ˜‡πŸ˜‡πŸ˜‡

• posted by loopylou
    on

Captain Lynne, I have popped into your clubhouse for a bit of insight and what an inspiration you are. I am only on week 4, 11.5 pounds gone (I don’t like the word ‘lost’ , it sounds like you are trying to find it). Looking forward to my first stone off. I can’t imagine how it feels to be 10 something. Last time I was that weight was 16 years ago.
    Please keep posting even when you get to target weight. You are helping us all, even us newbies.

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Totally agree captainlynne is our guiding light.😊🌷😊

• posted by HappyLife
    on

Lynne, fantastic job – you are amazing! So happy you also are off your BP meds and even if they don’t know your blood sugar will stay low, YOU DO!! And that’s really all that matters for now. Some day they will absorb all the miraculous changes and understand it’s the real deal and you have manifested a new healthy (and permanent) life for yourself. It takes the medical community years to come around (even my doctor said that this week albeit she’s now telling her clients about BSD because of me).
    Re being shorter – ugh – I went from 5.6 years ago to 5.4 a while back and so did my husband! It’s just gravity pulling us down it seems. Ha.
    You are a shining star always to all of us in here with you and as always I thank you for your ongoing and kind inspiration!!
    πŸ’œπŸŒ·πŸ’™

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi Lynne, don’t know how much weight you have lost (too many posts to read) but a common cause of height loss is getting rid of the fat pads on your feet. Yes you can have fat feet, I have shoes that don’t fit (at the moment). I have all my tests done on 8th August and will see my doctor on the 10th with my results. Can’t wait to see what good this has done.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi everyone. Special welcome to loopylou and all new visitors. Many thanks for your kind comments πŸ˜ƒ

HappyLife – I’ve not taken BP meds for many months since it went really low. But they’ve only just taken them off the computer!

sunshine-girl. I’ve lost 5.5 stone (77 pounds or 34.9 kg). I know about fat feet – I’ve already had to dispose of a pair of shoes that were too big now (and my favourite pair of fitflops😱). Hope I’ll be able to boots for the winter that go higher than my ankles! Not been able to do that for many a long year because of my fat calves😱

Let us know your results everyone.

• posted by ay caramba
    on

Hi captainlynn
    Fabulous results.
    Here’s hoping more and more of us come off that wretched diabetic register.
    We are marching forward…….hopefully in a lighter and more sprightly manner…..so to speak.
    We can also manage skipping, hopping and Samba as well! (Actually have no idea about Samba …but we could easily try!)

• posted by captainlynne
    on

End of week 31 and another 2 pounds has disappeared, making a total of 78 pounds πŸ˜ƒ Weight now 10 stone 6 pounds (down from 16 stone).

Getting close to my (as yet undecided) target. Possibly another 8 pounds, possibly a few more. But I’m reviewing it week by week.

I’ve just been checking some sites for ideal weights and most of them are just unrealistic. The lowest I ever reached was 8 stone 7 pounds – I’d been ill, and it showed😱. My face looked really gaunt (or drawn, or haggard) – not good. But the body was fine – never worn a UK size 8 before or since! But some sites are saying I could/should go even lower than that! Errr … no!

So I’ll keep on going week by week until I decide I’m where I want to be, where I feel comfortable.

So – I’ll check in here next week. Then – drum roll please – I’ll open the new clubhouse. The ‘over the 32 week’ clubhouse πŸ˜ƒ Please don’t forget that the target weight clubhouse is also open πŸ˜ƒ

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Oh you are our shining star, what am amazing example, of what this plan can do , gets you healthy and trim and inspires others. Thankyou for sharing.
    Love Jan πŸ“πŸ“πŸ“

• posted by 1960smp
    on

Awesome achievement Captainlynne! Well done indeed.

• posted by HappyLife
    on

Huge congrats to you Lynne!! I love how you are listening to your own body knowledge re what the right weight will be for you!!
    Can’t believe you will start a new thread soon…. Just seems like a week ago you started this one before your trip.
    Looking forward to the target weight thread as well — albeit I have a long way to go it’s nice to step in and visit and know where I am headed. B
    Happy day to you!

• posted by Imogen
    on

Congratulations Lynne…over the 32 weeks…phenomenal!!

I am in awe of your success; your commitment and dedication to the BSD life. I hope to follow your example – though I never seem to be able to catch up with youπŸ™‹

May I ask…how low do you keep your daily carb count? It’s week 14 for me and I find myself stuck in yet another 3+week plateau. I have tried increasing exercise, water, fats…weigh everything and keep below 800 cals and average 30g carbs daily. Any suggestions gratefully received.

I still love BSD eating and have managed to lose 17kg (most of that in the first 8 weeks)

Keep on posting Lynne – we need you!!

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Thanks everyone.

HappyLife – the target weight clubhouse is already open, feel free to visit. At the moment we seem to be talking about what our target is likely to be, and how to maintain when we get there.

Imogen – Great result πŸ˜ƒ

I really can’t be specific about my daily carb count. Sorry. But I can say what I eat and don’t eat, if that helps.

First, I keep below the 800 calories. Within that I eat meat, poultry, eggs, cheese, and a little fish. For vegetables – courgette, cauliflower, , spinach, salad greens, cucumber, cherry or plum tomatoes, peppers. Whatever I fancy and/or is cheap in the shops.

Since starting the BSD I do not eat fruit (I’d already been told years ago not to eat too much fruit anyway because it is full of sugar). I tried strawberries while I was on holiday, but found them far too sweet after all these months. I used to always cook with onions, but now never buy them. I do not eat bread of any kind, rice, pasta, porridge, or anything similar. The only root vegetable I eat is a tiny portion of carrot.

I have twice made the coconut flour flatbread (recipe on this site).

I also keep a careful eye on portion sizes.

For me it has been easier to go ‘cold turkey’ as far as carbs go. I know from past experience that if I cut down, or use ‘diet substitutes’ it’s a slippery slope leading to me eating the bad stuff again. I don’t try to slip ‘treats’ or ‘cheats’ in for the same reason (also because it would show on my blood tests!😱)

Again, apologies that I can’t give a more precise carb count, but hope this helps.

• posted by Imogen
    on

Hi Lynne,

Thanks for that…sounds similar…though I still include a small amount of onion and berries occasionally. I think I am very reactive to carbs – I made a lentil flour flatbread and my blood sugars rose dramatically and my weight increased overnight!
    Perhaps I will need to accept that for some of us even tiny amounts of carbs will cause problems. Patience has never been my greatest strength, so this will allow me chance to develop my skills – will keep on plodding on for now in the hope that the weight loss resumes. I still have a long way to go.

Thanks again🌻

• posted by Imogen
    on

Sorry, not lentil flour…it was gram flour.

Please log in or register to post a reply.