Over the 16-week line

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi Frog

I’ve seen barm cakes called so many things: White rolls, baps, bread cakes etc. If you think they’re bad, you should see stotties!๐Ÿ˜ฑ Even I could never eat a whole one!

I finally bought a new coat yesterday. Been looking for weeks but someone commented on Tuesday that the old one was ‘hanging off’ me๐Ÿ˜ฑ So something had to be done. It’s fairly lightweight but showerproof so I hope the weather warms up!

• posted by Natalie
    on

I have a question for you veterans. I did eight weeks of BSD in Jan/Feb, but I didn’t stick to it very well and the last couple of weeks of it I couldn’t really claim to be on any kind of diet. I started again at the end of March and only have two days left of this eight weeks. But… even being generous about my slip ups along the way, I took five days very much “off” the diet while carb loading for my GTT. Can I join your club house on Sunday night after 16 official weeks, sort of? Or do I have to do the diet, you know, properly, within a reasonable approximation of the rules, before being allowed in? Should I tack five days on to make up for the days off? Do I even count as having eight weeks under my belt as the two attempts were not consecutive? Do I have to show proof of calorie counts, exercise, and mindfulness techniques? Do we have to memorise sections of the book to recite to the gatekeeper?

• posted by Bill1954
    on

No rules in here Natalie
    If you say you did 8 weeks then you did.
    Post your 8 week results on Sunday and let us all see how well you have done. ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi Natalie

I’m not that fierce. Honest๐Ÿ˜ƒ

You’ll see that lots of folk visit here, even if they’ve not completed 16 weeks. The five days carb loading wasn’t your fault. Glad I didn’t have to do that. GTT not used often these days in the UK, but it was for diagnosis only when I was diagnosed.

All are welcome in our club houses. This has to be the friendliest, most supportive forum I’ve ever been on๐Ÿ˜ƒ

We’ve the after 8 weeks and after 16 weeks club houses. Next week I’ll officially open the after 23 weeks club house. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ Yes, it should be 24 weeks but I’m away and might not be able to post๐Ÿ˜ฑ

You’re very welcome at any of the above. Hopefully you’ll find all the support you need to help you on your BSD journey.

• posted by Natalie
    on

It feels so weird to think that in a couple more days I will have completed 16 weeks (more or less). And usually if I try a diet for a second time, I give up much quicker than the first time. But not the BSD! I pick myself up and keep going. I’ll post my results in a couple of days. Thanks for inviting me in!

• posted by Frog
    on

I went to a cafe this morning and bought a cup of tea AND NO CAKE.

Hi Nathalie -I started posting on this thread because it’s so inspiring, and everyone has been very welcoming! I WILL get there!

My spiraliser arrived this morning – it’s teeny, so compact – I already had lunch planned, and eating out tonight (checked and the menu has several low carb salads, I’ll just change the dressing and ask to have it on the side)

Congratulations on the new coat Lynne – the exciting bit – what size?
    I rent a storage unit, which has clothes in most sizes from 12 to 22 – I have culled it occasionally and offloaded to charity shops. When I get to the 12s though, it could well be a lot of brightly coloured suits with 80’s ‘power’ shoulder pads.
    I googled images of stotties – they look ginormous! – and I must say not particularly appetising. My bread weakness is anything by Vogels – and cranberry and pecan from M&S.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Heresy !!!
    The humble stottie has been the mainstay of North East bread making for years and is absolutely delicious, especially when home made.
    Unfortunately I’m no longer able to sample the delights of this manna from heaven but it’s just about the only carb heavy food that I miss ๐Ÿ™

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Oh dear
    I’ve just posted how to show images on the forum,
    I have a feeling I’m going to be getting told off by admin.
    After I watched Michael on TV last night too.
    Soozie
    http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t163/zog54/310033_3255487882468_2104016170_n.jpg

Ok you need to open a free account at photobucket.com
    Upload images to your album by dragging and dropping as instructed
    Then double click the โ€œDirectโ€ link on the right of the image, and post the link.
    I just uploaded this image of my poor old Cairn terrier who passed a couple of years ago ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Frog
    on

Ahh – he looks adorable Bill.
    Useful to know – but I think I’ll keep before and after photos private!

What was the TV program?
    there was one I saw earlier in the week largely about emotional eating with Tanya Byron. Not the sort of thing I’d usually watch, but it was quite inspiring. She was working with a couple, the woman lost about 3 stone over a shortish period – AND ran a half marathon at the end of ten weeks,

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

As a born and bred Californian, one of the things I love about these threads is the “Britishness” of it all. I just googled a “stottie” because I had never seen one — ooh, looks amazing and next time I visit your lovely isles, I will search one out and eat it with gusto. I have had the pleasure of visiting many parts of the UK, including Wales (amazing Bara brith) and Cornwall (incredible pasties) and Lake District (just remember the post-walking beer๐Ÿ˜œ) — you have a wealth of old traditions that we do not share here in Silicon Valley. Thank you all for the mental travel moments. I’m not yet in your 16 week club, only on week 11 but enjoying the veterans’ thread!

• posted by melissab
    on

That’s awesome! I’m coming to the end of the 8 weeks and was wondering how successful you can be just to keep on doing it for longer. I’m going to take a week off, still counting calories but allowing myself a few things I’ve been missing (bread!), and then get back to the 8 weeks again. So far I’ve lost 17 1/2 pounds and have 32 1/2 to go ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by melissab
    on

I’m in Cali too! L.A. Just finishing my 8 weeks – so happy to find this diet that actually works! Who knew!?! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Michael was on the One Show last night
    Trying our ecigarettes would you believe ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi Frog

Ah … the size of the coat. I tried on a fleece in M&S – a 16 fitted. But finally bought a showerproof jacket in Mountain Warehouse – an 18! Still, smaller than the ones I have been wearing๐Ÿ˜ƒ. Congratulations on the tea without cake๐Ÿ‘

In Cafe Nero (and in Italy) they think it strange I drink espresso without sugar!

Sorry Bill – being originally from foreign parts (Manchester) the stottie was unknown to me๐Ÿ˜ฑ Now, an Eccles Cake – that’s a different story๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Glad you’re enjoying the posts Californiagirl๐Ÿ˜ƒ I’ve visited the USA many times but never made it to California.

• posted by Imogen
    on

Hi California girl,

I live in the lake district – the post walk beer is exceptional -as is the rain!

I used to live in Sacramento, then at Lake Tahoe, before that Naples Florida and for a short while in New York. Your post started me reminiscing – such good times ๐Ÿ˜Š

Thanks,

Imogen๐ŸŒป

• posted by Frog
    on

I had to google stotties californiagirl, you’re not alone! I have seen and eaten an eccles cake – I used to work for an organisation that had an office in Chorley, and she used to bring us some when she visited the London office.
    I remember being in Wakefield once. and being asked if I wanted a teacake with my meal – a bit surprised, here it’s a lighlty fruited sweet bun – it turned out to be a soft white roll,

Congratulations on the coat Lynne – I always seem to need a size higher with Mountain Warehouse compared to most other stores.

• posted by Frog
    on

Hi Lynne
    I gave up trying to remember what the benefit of soaking oats was & googled it.
    This article is about eating the soaked oats raw, but does talk about overnight soaking changing the resistant starch level (?), and therefore having a different impact on insulin. I don’t understand it – but may mean that overnight porridge will cause less of an insulin spike for you?
    http://www.onegreenplanet.org/vegan-food/reasons-raw-soaked-oats-are-a-must-try/

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

My husband and I had a wonderful discussion tonight as I was preparing our dinner about breads and local/regional foods and what we all eat — all started with the “stottie” discussion earlier today — thank you all for such lovely enriching moments! Of course, we just TALKED about stottie, we ate tuna!!๐Ÿ˜œ๐Ÿ˜œ๐Ÿ˜œ and @imogen, wow, you were Tahoe /Sacto — we have a house in Tahoe (Squaw Valley) and you live in Lake District — want to trade for a week or two next summer/ fall/ winter??

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Just a quick check-in – back later. Wanted to report a loss of three pounds this week, total now 58 pounds. BMI now 30.3 so only another 2 pounds to lose before I’m overweight rather than obese๐Ÿ˜ƒ

• posted by Frog
    on

Congratulations Lynne

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Wow Lynne
    If anyone has ever picked up a sack of potatoes, they will realise just how well you have done.
    It’s mentors like you Judith and Eureka that inspired me at the beginning and continue to do so for so many others.
    Congratulations and long may it continue ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Switzerland
    on

Hi captainlynne,

If this was a video link you’d see me doing a dance for you, another 3 pounds, you continue to put in a great effort and are such an inspiration to us all.

• posted by Switzerland
    on

Oh and to all the 16 weekers,

There’s some talk of fire fighters over in the 8 week club house today (!)

• posted by Imogen
    on

Wow…that is amazing…congratulations!! Following your news (and that of all the over 16 week and beyond gang) is what keeps me….keeping on๐Ÿ˜Š Thanks captainlynne!

You see what happens when the seniors stop keeping an eye on us? firemen – yeah!!

Imogen๐ŸŒป

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Thanks Frog, that’s reassuring about Mountain Warehouse sizes! Did you ever eat a Chorley Cake?

Thanks Bill. My mother used to tell me I looked like a sack of potatoes tied up in the middle๐Ÿ˜ฑ If only she could see me now! You inspire so many people yourself๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Thanks Switzerland and Imogen.

I did notice about the firefighters๐Ÿ˜ณ

• posted by Frog
    on

I’ve just googled, and I think maybe my colleague got us Chorley cakes, and described them as being a bit like eccles cakes – which would make sense as she was coming from Chorley.
    I’ve just calculated back, and it was ten or eleven years ago!

I was heavier when I weighed this morning – only a teeny bit (0.4kg, so I know its not much) – BUT wearing a bra out of the “too small drawer” – and it fits again!

• posted by captainlynne
    on

A Chorley Cake is bigger (and flatter) than an Eccles Cake. I used to spread butter on a Chorley Cake, but the Eccles Cake didn’t need it because they’re made with flakey pastry.

Great news about the bra. Great feeling isn’t it!๐Ÿ˜ƒ

• posted by HappyLife
    on

Lots of news from everyone!!

Lynne, wow you are just such an inspiration and congrats on your weight loss!!

Bill, thanks for all your wisdom! You help me keep going!

All the people in California!! I am literally on my California Coastal Tour seeing clients right now from Napa to Santa Barbara – any of you along this route that would like to meet up for tea or coffee??

Hugs and happy day to all!!
    ๐Ÿ’œ

• posted by HappyLife
    on

Where is the thread for people in their 8 weeks please? I never saw it and would love to join in!!
    Thanks!

• posted by Trees
    on

It’s lovely getting new clothes in a smaller size — in just 18 weeks I have gone from a 22 to a 14 and have bought myself a above knee – non elasticated waist – A line denim skirt!!! Going for the rock chic look!!! I am starting to get a waist. Lost 2lbs this week that’s a total of 4 stone 2 1/2 lbs another 2 1/2 stone to go. Have a great weekend everyone from a wet south coast uk xxx

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Thanks HappyLife๐Ÿ˜ƒ The 8-week thread is on this forum. Look for ‘over the 8-week line and beyond’

Hi Trees. Your stats are similar to mine๐Ÿ˜ƒ . It’s so long since I was anywhere near this weight, and I’ve moved house do many times, that I have no ‘smaller’ clothes apart from my work uniform (and I’ve nearly run out of smaller sizes in that!) so I’m having to buy new. Reluctant to buy much until I reach my target and stabilise my weight!

• posted by Trees
    on

Thank you Lynn —

I’m trying to shop at ‘ supermarkets ‘ until I’ve found my true size!!

O but what a nice delemer to have– having no clothes that fit. X

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi Natalie,
    Well done on getting to the 16 week mark, however you have done it you are there, you just have to continue on the diet until you are at the weight you want to be, like you I have had my lapses and highs, so I will also continue until I am at the weight I want to be, including any lapses,
    I have just returned from a week away from home, visiting family etc, my well meaning daughter and son in law made me a huge! pile of quinoa which I don’t like and couldn’t eat on our diet anyway! however she insisted that it was ok on my diet, she had done a similar diet a couple of years ago and had quinoa on that diet because she said, it is high in protein and low in carbs, she just didn’t understand that the bsd diet isn’t the same as her diet! It can be a mind field at times!
    So Natalie well done and keep on keeping on, I will be joining you a week on Monday when I will have finished my 16th week! Even with the lapses!
    Christine

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi Melissa’s,
    You can carry on on the diet for as long as you want to get to the weight you want to be at, if that makes sense!
    Just keep posting and keep on keeping on, onwards and downwards
    Christine

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi Imogen,
    We were driving down the m6 this morning we waved when we went past the Lake District did you see us? we also stopped for a coffee at the killington lake service station, it was raining when we got back onto the motorway, was it wet where you are?
    Christine

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi Lynne,
    Yeah well done, you are truly inspirational
    Christine

• posted by Imogen
    on

Hi Christine, sorry I missed you waving – I am terribly short sighted! ๐Ÿ™‹me waving back.

Hope your journey south was good. You seem to do a lot of travelling around. Killington is a stop off point for me whenever we travel that route ๐Ÿ˜Š
    We were so lucky with the weather, the rain seems to have passed us by today (at least for now). You know in Cumbria it tends to rain a lot…hence the lakes.

Keep on keeping on!

Imogen๐ŸŒป

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi Imogen,
    I love going to the Tebay service station either up or down the M6, on the way up I get some stinking bishop cheese for our son in law, he loves the cheese, as we do, it’s our little treat for him, we have trouble getting it anywhere else around us.
    Christine

• posted by Imogen
    on

The food shop there is great….but way too tempting for me just now… my resistance to temptation not that strong.๐ŸŒป

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi Imogen,
    Same here the pies are to die for, and if I had carried on eating things like the pies it probably would have killed me sooner than later!
    I do have great problems with my ability to resist temptation!
    Christine

• posted by Natalie
    on

Well, here I am (pokes around). I like what you’ve done with the place. 16 weeks, eh?

My 16 weeks had a 6 week break in the middle where I put back on half the weight I lost in the first 8 weeks, lots of slip ups, not much exercise, and my average day was closer to 1000 calories than 800. This is not to make excuses or to beat myself up, it is just an explanation for why my results aren’t as astounding as some people’s.

Day 1: 84.5 kg
    Today: 79.5 kg

I am really excited about a 5 kg loss. Usually I give up long before that point (like the afternoon of day one!) And just think what will happen when I stick to the diet properly? I just keep picking myself up and starting again, and getting results if a bit more slowly.

Blood sugar last year: 10.8 mmol/L (very close to diabetes which is 11.0)
    This week: 8.9 mmol/L (still pre-diabetic but much better)

• posted by ay caramba
    on

Officially joining the ‘Over the 16 Week line club’.
    Have lost around 15 kilos in that time and not far from 2 and a half stone in weight overall.
    Clothing-wise this is a nightmare as I am shrinking all the time and nothing seems to fit very well any more!!!!!!

• posted by Tallyhoo
    on

Hi Ay Caramba………….welcome! I only joined last week! – Well done indeed and isn’t it a dreadfully wonderful nightmare to have. I had to buy a whole load of new undies on Saturday as my others were falling down under my jeans! Really uncomfortable but wonderful!
    I lost another 2.2 lbs this week after a disappointing .8 the previous week…………….did concentrate on drinking 2 litres of water which is something I’m really bad at. Only 2.4 lbs to my goal weight (then I’ll give myself a new goal!). Off to have my diabetic check with the nurse tomorrow – nervous! To date 3 stone and 3 lbs lost

• posted by Eureka
    on

Ay ay ay Caramba!
    Have you heard the BBC news! Go for the full fat. Insulin & carbs = FAT. SEE THIS NEWS ITEM ALL OF YOU!!!
    My work is done ๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€

• posted by Tallyhoo
    on

Yes – just heard the report – it’s gaining momentum and no mistake!

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Nice to see all the new arrivals in this (at present) club for the real long termers.
    Can I ask you all to have a sweep up and tidy around?
    I’m moving in next week ๐Ÿ˜€

• posted by Trees
    on

Morning bill

I’ll have a tidy round but dont expect to be offered any cake or biscuits when we offer you a coffee!!

Just starting week 19 with a re read of the BSD book this morning –just to refresh as I feel I was starting to do my own thing ie not weighing or measuring.

Went out Saturday night and everyone noticed my new figure — told them all about the book — they are all buying a copy today!!!

Just going to have my morning espresso with full fat cream — lovely. Then cut the grass!!

Have a great day — Patrice

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Hi Patrice
    great to hear you’re spreading the word!
    Imagine the results if every successful BSD’er could get just 3 people to start the plan ๐Ÿ˜ฎ
    We could end up ruling the world ๐Ÿ˜€

• posted by ay caramba
    on

Thanks Tallyhoo and my pal Eureka for their welcome to ‘old timers’ like me!!!!!
    Am feeling great in myself and looking fairly slim now too. Only about 10lbs to go to reach my so-called healthy weight.

Bit disappointed today because I managed to get myself an appointment …..a bit like hen’s teeth round here …to try to get my medication reviewed.
    Saw a lovely Junior Doctor who was really pleased to see my BS and BP readings……and of course the weight loss.
    She was ready to reduce my Ramipril and look into the Metformin dosage. Unfortunately she took my BP which was 167/72 in the surgery.At home this morning it was 109/58. I’d taken my machine in with me and my arm cuff monitor showed exactly the same reading as her’s. She then had to go off and consult with a senior doctor who said I needed to take 10 readings a day for 3 days and return in 4 weeks when I could have another HbA1c test (at least I get one now).
    My test taken 2 months ago only included 7 weeks of BSD diet and Metformin (dosage 3 X 500mg) and was 7.2 % (9.5 mmol/l).
    Anyway I’ve been told to stay on all the same medication……the Junior Doctor said she was sorry she’d asked!!!!!!

Think I’d better do as I’m told as I am T2 newbie and not as brave as many others on this forum!!!

• posted by Bill1954
    on

It won’t do any harm TBH as long as your readings don’t go too low.
    Just 4 weeks and you may have the proof you need to reduce or stop them all together ๐Ÿ™‚

Please log in or register to post a reply.