Over the 16-week line

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Florasalopia
    on

Shropshire is the most under- rated county in the country. Plenty of great walking so getting in your steps will be no problem. How disappointing to read about your medical appointment but your friends on here will help you rise above it.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi Florasalopia.

Long time since I’ve been there, but my father had family there, in Ludlow. Used to visit every year. That’s why I’ve wanted to go back for a while. Booked 4 nights in October.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Judith, in case you’re wondering 😊 I fried garlic, ginger and chilli, added courgetti. Then added some lovely cream cheese (with artichoke) from M & S – 1/3 carton. Then added the flaked salmon. Truly scrumptious 😃

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi Lynne,
    Mmmm that sound yummy, except for the chilli, which I’m allergic to that would be a lovely meal, we are having salmon tomorrow might pinch that for us lot!
    Christine

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi Lynne,
    Ohh where abouts in Shropshire are you going?
    I’m not diebetic so have no experience of what you go through when you go to the docs, however I feel I have got to know you a bit on this forum and I’m sure you are not too downhearted at the attitude of the nurse, now you have had time to digest her conversation with you. She is not important to you and the way you are doing this to better your health, it’s a shame, and I keep saying this, but, you can take a horse to water blah blah blah!
    Onwards and downwards!
    Christine, oh and 👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏 to you !

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi Christine

I did something similar at weekend. Fried garlic, onion, chilli and ginger then added the whole (90g) pot of cream cheese with artichoke. Found the cheese in M&S – they do plain and two different flavours. Yummy😃

I’ll be staying in Ludlow, approx 10 minutes walk from the town. Fantastic reviews on Tripadvisor. It will be a treat to myself – more expensive than I’d normally pay. I normally stay with friends when I go to USA and Italy, not really had a hotel/b&b holiday (apart from the Prague fiasco) for a long time (residential conferences don’t count!) so I thought I’d go for it. 😃

Now I just need to decide where I want to go early next year. Somewhere sunny. See what (if anything) the travel agent comes up with! Always that bit harder because I travel alone!

Oh – and I’ll be taking a pencil sharpener type Spiraliser to Italy with me😃

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi Lynne,
    That also sounds good, would ordinary cream cheese do do you think? I don’t have an M&S nearby and I want to use the salmon tomorrow night, I will be setting up the craft stall so won’t have time to nip into town, although I will have a look for it next time I’m in M&S we often go in for a coffee if we are in town. Thanks for your inspiration.
    Christine

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi Christine

Ordinary cream cheese would be fine. I just used what I had.

Hope the craft fair goes well. Did you see my reply with suggestions to sew? I really need to sit down and make some things for our fair.

• posted by Switzerland
    on

Hi captainlynne,
    It’s always so encouraging to read your posts. Your HbA1c results are brilliant. Your joy is palpable. I want to acknowledge your effort on your BSD journey and your perseverence in keeping your health the focus when the powers that be keep throwing you ‘road blocks’.
    Best wishes.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi lynne you did the right thing missing the church coffee morning and doing your shopping. You needed that time to work it through in your mind. You would have only been partly there at the coffee morning.

I’m curious to know what she thought of the advice given to the person who paid for a private appointment? Or is she waiting to see what happens to him? ? If she needs to lose weight I bet she hopes eating lots of carbs is the answer 🙁

The cranberry and blood orange tea is lovely, it’s one of my favourites.

You’ve got a lot to look forward to with the hols you are arranging and the satisfaction of knowing all your self disciplined work on this diet has paid off with fantastic blood results.

Your evening meal sounds delicious 🙂 🙂 🙂

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi christine, lynne is right, normal cream cheese works a treat. 49p a tub at Aldi floats my boat 🙂

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Thanks Switzerland. Much appreciated. I must have learned that when you meet a roadblock you can either let it stop you or find a way round it. I’ve invested too much effort on the BSD (not to mention new clothes) to let someone derail me.

After all these weeks it can still surprise me how little I want to eat as well as how much better I feel. Another reason not to let ‘them’ derail me.

I must be a control freak😱 I find keeping control of what I eat on the BSD helps me cope when things happen like that appointment. Control what I can, deal with what I have to!

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi Judith.

She disapproved of the advice that man was given. A friend of hers has done well on 5:2 and I gave her a copy of the BSD book. So she does know. Those now infamous words – horse, water, drink!

Not tried the cranberry and blood orange tea yet – let you know how I like it.

The salmon I bought in Asda was ready cooked (with lemon flavouring) and it suggested on the packing to stir it into spaghetti. So I did – sort of😃

It was definitely best to miss the coffee morning. I need to decide how to deal with a few situations involving someone who was there and the way I was feeling after the appointment I knew it would be easy to say the wrong thing. Discretion definitely the best course of action. Oh dear😱 I must be getting sensible in my old age LOL

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi Lynne,,
    I haven’t seen a post from you with sewing ideas, what thread was it on can you remember?
    Will have a look for it.
    Christine

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Lynne after your appointment discretion was definitely the better part of valour! When you suddenly have something unexpected to deal with it is SO easy to react in a way that is not as carefully considered as normal as your whole mind is not as engaged as one would like.

I’m glad she disapproved about eating lots of carbs! That was very kind to give her a copy of the book 🙂

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi Christine

It was in answer to your post asking for suggestions yesterday on Lucia’s thread ‘my 8 weeks’. Answer timed just after 5pm on 4th May.

Judith – I need to get more information and consider my approach carefully. Learned not to be in a hurry over things like this. A dignified silence is best – until I know how to proceed!

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Totally agree Lynne!

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi Lynne,
    We are going to Oswestry in June, the whole family, 23 of us in a farmhouse with a bunkhouse, we did it last year so we need to find something different to do this year, of course there will be the obligatory bbq, you have given me the idea though, I will take my spirilizer so I can do something for my Saturday evening meal.
    I’m looking forward to losing the weight like you have, I don’t mind if it’s ounces as long as it’s going downwards, I only have to lose one and a half lbs to have lost two stone, then it’s a case of fixing my next target.
    Thank you for all the support you give, not just to me but loads of people on this forum.
    Christine

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi Christine.

Glad you found my answer to your sewing question 😃

Ooohhh 23 people on holiday together 😱 Seriously, hope you have a great time.

Bit like taking coals to Newcastle, taking Spiraliser to Italy – my friends might like it for their relation who is gluten free.

Glad you find my ramblings helpful 😃

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Well, that was an interesting day!

Went to the station to buy train tickets to London. Travelling down at end of May, overnight at hotel near Heathrow then flying to Italy. Flight back lands early afternoon so will go straight to Kings Cross for train home. No problem there. Tickets bought, with seat reservations. Bought open return in case of delays. No problems.

Looked round shops. Bought nothing. No problems.

You’re wondering what happened, aren’t you?

In the travel agents trying to find a holiday for early next year. Gave her a very wide brief. Between mid January and late March. Sun but not too hot. Not crowded resort. Relaxing with places to explore. Not silly money. At least she didn’t run out screaming!

I love Italy, but difficult in winter except city breaks (or skiing). We’d looked at cruises, Malta, Cyprus, Madeira ….. you name it, we probably looked at it.

Then ….. we heard an explosion😱 Everyone on the street froze. No sirens! So everyone (including us) went back to doing what we had been doing. We found out later it was a controlled explosion near the main police station. We have scares, but not often a controlled explosion😳

So, back to looking for holiday. Cruises ruled out. Portugal – wrong time of year. Malta ruled out. Cyprus – good deal in Limassol, but I didn’t want to stay there. Paphos more expensive but I’ve stayed there before and prefer it. Hmmmm ….. Nearly. Back to Madeira. Reasonable deal. Good Tripadvisor reviews. Weather supposed to be ok. Flight times ok, from Newcastle.

So I did it. Booked to stay in Madeira, near Funchal. End of January. 7 nights. Half board. Upgraded to sea view room and seats pre-booked. Deposit paid. 😱

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Well, Lynne, your life is certainly not boring!!!

At least you have two nice trips to look forward too 🙂

Christine, 23 people!!! Good idea to take your spiraliser 🙂

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi Judith

No, certainly not boring!

It’s three trips – Italy in early June, Ludlow in October and now Madeira in late January.

Still got holiday to use so need to work out what to do with some of it😳

Have Spiraliser will travel LOL

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi Judith,
    Yes, 23, me and David, five kids, three in laws, and 21 grandchildren and two step grandchildren, oldest 18, youngest four! So we have to find entertainment for all ages!
    Or should I say oldest 69 and youngest four!
    Christine

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi Lynne,
    Forgot to say I made the dish tonight, I put some spinach in and a bit of cinnamon too, with the salmon and it was well received, Angela said she would have that again so that’s progress! Thanks for the idea.
    Christine

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi Christine

Glad it worked and you enjoyed it. I have the other piece of salmon for tomorrow. 😃 Not sure what I’ll do with it yet. Decide tomorrow.

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi general lynne
    Great you’ve booked the hols. It’s important that you keep your batteries charged. Your job isn’t easy & you need the down time
    Say Ciao bella Italia when you go. Was there last September – Sorrento, amore mio!

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi Lynne,
    I’m having a piece of chicken tomorrow, I have done a lamb curry for the others with left over lamb from last Sunday, so that is easy after the market, don’t know what I will do yet either, it will be my surprise to myself!
    Christine

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi Eureka

Will do😃 I’m flying into Bologna. Friends will meet me and take me back to their flat in Cremona. Apart from when they were living in Naples I visit less touristy places when I visit them – and few people speak English. I have been to Venuce though and want to see Florence, Rome etc. Need to get passport renewed after this trip.

Christine, that sounds good. Hope the fair goes well tomorrow and makes lots of money for your church. After today’s adventures (😳) the friends I’m visiting have asked me to take some items with me (no cookery books yet!) so shopping again tomorrow and preparing for Sunday. Tesco has been out of stock of chickpea flour for ages but have tracked it down in Morrisons so will be adventurous and go there.

• posted by Switzerland
    on

Hi captainlynne, (….hoping I’ve worked out the time difference correctly)
    All together now. SURPRISE! Happy 20 week BSD to you.
    Thank you for your posts, they’ve given me an insight into the BSD way of life and its possibilities. Congratulations on all of your achievements on the BSD.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Thanks Switzerland. Are you actually in that country?

Ok folks – happy to report that another 3 pounds has gone. That’s a total loss of 52 pounds 😃

Another 5 pounds to go until I leave the 12s behind and my weight starts with an 11! It must be over 10 years since I weighed that!

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Wow, lynne that is fantastic! That 5 lbs won’t last long at this rate so you will soon be in the 11s.

Our very own BSD poster girl forging the way for others : ) 🙂

• posted by Switzerland
    on

Oh captainlynne I so wish I was in Switzerland (because it’s beautiful and if I’m there I’m on holidays!) Born, bred and living in Australia.
    That’s why I was 38 minutes out when sending your SURPRISE 20 week good wishes (I really thought I’d done the maths properly, oh well). Looking forward to reading about your progress for the next 5 lbs. Have a great day.

• posted by Eureka
    on

Ciao general lynne
    Congratulazioni. Stupendo! 👌 🇮🇹

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Thanks everyone😃

Switzerland, what’s the time difference between us?

Judith, I think I’m starting to realise that I will get to my target (whatever that will finally be). It always took so long at various slimming clubs I just couldn’t picture the end being in sight. The only time I reached my goal (and went lower – 8st 7lb) I was ill and couldn’t eat (stress). As soon as the stress stopped the weight came back. But this tine it’s different 😃 I’m not I’ll, I’m eating healthily, not drinking diet drinks but lots of water – and I’m still losing weight😃 Worked out today that at my usual rate of 1 stone equals a dress size, I’ll be about a 12/14 (not been that for more years than I care to think😳) – and I’m even thinking of a swimsuit and/or shorts for my holiday in January😱

Grazie Eureka 😃🇮🇹

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Lynne, I. Thought I would never brave a swimsuit again. I didn’t think my weight made me self conscious but it clearly did as I have not considered swimming for ten years because of embarrassment at my tubby torso with skinny arms and legs !

This diet IS very different. I can’t believe how much I can eat now without piling on weight. I will never eat starchy carbs again,though. I don’t need them. Don’t desire them. This diet seems to reset your body and stop the cravings.

You will get to your target lynne. It’s totally attainable – you have already proved it’s attainable because of how much you have already lost. 52lbs in 18 weeks! In just 18 weeks!!!! 18 weeks!!!!! On other diets anyone would be thrilled with 52lbs in 52 weeks. 🙂

A 12/14 at our age is a good place to be. I’m so very pleased for you Lynne : )

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi Judith. Not that I’d be swimming 😱 but it would be nice to dress more appropriately after years of hiding in cardigans and trousers. The sun loungers by the pool might just see me LOL. This is the first time in years I’ve booked a winter sunshine holiday😱 so I want to get the most out of it. Or I might walk around in shorts😱 😃

I’ll need a trip to London soon – running out of smaller uniforms😳 Don’t want to go too soon though!

12/14 is just a guesstimate. Might be nice to be a 10/12😃 Wait and see when I get there😃 Just nice to be able to shop in ‘normal’ shops 😃

Even thinking of starting to make some clothes myself again. Not done that in years. At the moment I think I might have shrunk out of it before I finish it😳 Might wait a while until weight stabilises, or make a few simple things that can be taken in.

Oooohhhh. All these changes!

• posted by Switzerland
    on

Hi captainlynne,
    I believe I’m 9 hours ahead of you time wise – AEST (that’s where I got confused – thought you were 8 hours behind, like CEST). Shall remember that you and your cohorts must be GMT/UTC…..I promise that’s the most acronyms I’ll use today. Let me know if I’ve got the time thing wrong.
    It’s Mothers Day here so I’m being duly waited on……not with excess food….sticking to BSD (whoops there’s another pesky acronym) the difference being my delightful family are preparing and serving all meals today.
    Isn’t it funny, 5 weeks ago if anyone had said ‘You’ll be eating low carb mediterranean meals and celebrating” I would never have believed them. Now ‘spoiling myself’ means eating healthy food, all of the time.
    I just love the learning curve this lifestyle has given all of us.
    Best wishes.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi Switzerland

We like to confuse people😳 At the moment on BST (British Summer Time) – this year from 27th March to 30th October. Clocks go forward an hour in Spring, then back an hour in Autumn. – the rest of the year we’re on GMT (Greenwich Mean Time). Just checked, and at the moment you are 9 Hours ahead of us.

Enjoy Mothers’ Day. Ours was 6th March.

We’re all learning a lot, and making new friends along the way.

Speak soon.

• posted by Switzerland
    on

Thanks for the clarification captain lynne. Ohhhhh BST. Have a good sleep.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi lynne, looking at weather forecasts I doubt that I will be swimming *sob sob*. I’ve also wrenched my shoulder reaching something from the kitchen cupboard 3 days ago and just typing is very painful so I won’t be posting very much.

Tomorrow my best friend is going in to hospital for an operation. I’m worried as last time they tried it was not successful . To say the least. She had to be resuscitated and came within a hair’s breadth of having her hand amputated. There is no choice as her dialysis has stopped working properly.

So sorry folks I won’t be around too much but I will be thinking of you all.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Hi
    just to carry on from the weigh in thread,
    Judith, we are going to a different place this year so no one knows us there 😉
    And Lynne Nice ? Oh yes 🙂 5* all inclusive, in Lara beach Turkey. Hotel just opened last week amd the first reviews are amazing 😀
    Judith, what you been and done?
    Really sorrry to hear about your shoulder, I know how painful that can be as I had a trapped nerve in mine about 5 years ago. I ended up going to a chiropreacter.
    Hope it’s all ok for your hols

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi hashimoto
    Don’t want to miss saying have a great hol. Hope your friend is ok. Look after that shoulder too. Enjoy ✈️

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Thanks Bill and Eureka. I’m sure I will have a fabulous time and I’m seeing someone tomorrow about my hip and shoulder.
    I really hope my friend is OK too. The timing of the op while I am going away couldn’t be worse but I got a ‘take away’ phone tariff so at least I should be able to speak to her while I’m on my hols.

: )

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi Judith.

I don’t swim😳😱. Finally learned as an adult but nearly drowned one evening, which put me off! When I finally hot back in the water I’d forgotten how to swim!

You’ll have a great time. Looking forward to hearing all about it.

Hope your friend’s op goes well. Glad you’ll be able to speak with her. 😃

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Last week I passed the 16 weeks line!

I have lost 3 stones and I am now in the middle of the NHS healthy weight and BMI range.

More importantly my health has improved.

Last week my doctor agreed I could cut my steroid inhaler use further, taking it down to the normal recommended dose!

My acid reflux has gone.

I have fewer problems with my diverticulitis

Stomach bloating is a thing of the past (apart from the Gf brownie incident)

I have lots more energy

I started increasing my calories in week 8 and now eat a normal amount of calories for a 63 year old woman without putting weight on!!!!!!!!!!! 🙂

I still, and always will eat the BSD way!

Many, many thanks to Prof Roy Taylor, Drs Mosley (Michael and Clare) and all the wonderful new friends on these forums 🙂

• posted by ay caramba
    on

Great inspiration Hashimoto.

• posted by barby
    on

Huge Congratulations Hashimoto, a true pioneer on the BSD journey! and thanks for all the encouragement you’ve given to us others following on behind you. This forum is one of the nicest I’ve ever seen, with everyone really wanting others to succeed too.

I read your profile from 16 weeks ago, where you said you hoped to lose two stone – you certainly cracked that! 🙂

• posted by Imogen
    on

Hashimoto,

Many many congratulations. How fantastic! …. and thank you so much for all the help and encouragement you have given to us all throughout your 16+ weeks. Enjoy your new found slim self.

Imogen.x

• posted by Switzerland
    on

Congratulations Hashimoto – you nailed it – and you’ve helped so many others on the way.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Superb performance Judith
    You’re already a leading light on here and this will only make you shine brighter
    You’ll never know how many people have been inspired by your posts but I bet the number is way higher than you could imagine.
    Proud of you, now go and enjoy your well deserved holiday 🙂

Please log in or register to post a reply.