Over the 16-week line

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi Judith. Some folk went home with vomiting and diarrhoea. Not sure if it was food or virus! Two dinners were much later than I normally eat so I had a little cooked meat and salad at lunchtime. Of course by the time we sat down to dinner I couldn’t finish what I’d ordered. Unheard of for me! Started week at 12st 7lb, back yesterday and weighed this morning at 12st 7lb. Again, unheard of for me! Made best choices. On the journey down we stopped at a burger van. I had a bacon and egg roll, sat in the car and ate the bacon and egg before putting the bread in the rubbish bin. Breakfast: bacon, egg, black pudding. Lunch: on two days, slice cooked meat with tomato and cucumber. Dinner: Monday – chicken Caesar salad without croutons followed by hake fillet with beurre blanc (no crumb topping). Ate chicken and anchovy, little lettuce and tomato, then half the fish with a little broccoli and carrot. Tuesday: fillet of trout with pea and lettuce salad and almonds followed by loin of pork without the sauce. Ate the trout and lettuce, then half the pork with a few cauliflower florets and a spoonful of ratatouille. Wednesday: had nothing at lunchtime. Dinner: duck rillette, spring onion and cucumber (no bread and sauce) followed by cod and asparagus (no sauce). Ate the duck and cucumber and about half the spring onion followed by most of the cod with a few bits of broccoli and one piece of carrot. No desserts. No biscuits at break time.

Quite a few people crossing out bits on the menu. Mainly for gluten free or allergies.

Wednesday night 3 of us who were sitting together had no desserts and we were told they had been paid for! The night I left the pork, the waiter asked why, was it ok! Just said I was full. Then he said I was saving room for dessert – pointed out I wasn’t having any๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Must go for now. Need to iron tunic ready for funeral later.

It keeps on snowing and raining today. Think I might need thermal vest on๐Ÿ˜ฑ

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Lynne I’m glad you didn’t get the bug – or whatever it was!!!!
    You managed very sensible BSD eating at that conference!
    ‘it’s been paid for’ sounds a bit like the ‘eat everything on your plate ‘ philosophy!
    ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi general lynne
    Glad your back. Well done resisting temptation. The devil’s in the puds!
    Blood & Fire wouldn’t mean anything to you by chance? It did to my mum

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Eureka, ‘ eureka! ‘. I can confirm you are correct! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi hashimoto
    Hallelujah!

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi Eureka. As hashimoto points out – you guessed right!

Just back from funeral, nearly time to eat, then (hopefully) a relaxing evening. Will catch up on posts over the weekend.

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi general lynne
    Thought so weeks back. Mum Recruiting Sergeat Somercotes Derbyshire. Gone to Glory 2014 89yrs.
    Get some r& r

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi Eureka

Different Division๐Ÿ˜ฑ I’m Northern (shortly to be renamed) Division, in County Durham – between Durham and Bishop Aukland. Lady today was 98!

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi general lynne (promotion suits you)
    Mum started at 60! Her promotion with, To God Be The Glory, her favourite. Wrote to many working overseas before her recruitment. Two Brigadiers working in Africa for many years were best friends. As were two Captains in India. Small world, always. They said her letters kept them in touch with home & above.๐Ÿ•Š
    Hope the lady today is at peaceful rest

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi general
    That’s kind it’s still fresh!

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Back to official weighing day and another pound gone. Total of 49 pounds in 19 weeks. The pound had disappeared before I went away so I’m happy not to see it reappear after a 3-night stay in a hotel. Fasting bloods in normal range. BMI dropping steadily. Feeling great. All in all a happy bunny๐Ÿ˜ƒ Or a bouncing Tigger๐Ÿ˜ƒ

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Definitely more a bouncing tigger Lynne.
    Thats a top result given the circumstances and proves again that we don’t have to be diet hermits.
    We can eat out as long as we make the right choices.
    My weigh day today when the chemist opens, I hope I can keep up the steady weight loss that you can.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Wow! Lynne that’s bang on 3 and a half stones! Fabulous!
    Happy bunny and bouncing Tigger! ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by LindaA
    on

Hey Bill1954,
    You are so right about just making the right choices when going out. Last weekend, on day 4 and I had to attend a pre arranged dinner with a large group. Luckily it was at a Lebanese restaurant and the choices fit in with this diet, but how to eat the dips without the Lebanese bread? I used sliced tomatoes instead and it worked a treat!
    Well done captainlynne on your large loss. You can be so proud of yourself!

• posted by captainlynne
    on

PARTY TIME๐Ÿ˜ƒ This is your invitation to the party to celebrate the disappearance of 50 pounds. Yes, that extra pound escaped overnight. Fifty pounds since 19th December.

• posted by Plumptious
    on

Captainlynne ….that is…..FANTASTIC!!!! well done you!

• posted by hashimoto
    on

LYNNE!!!!!! Amazing! 50 lbs is staggering – all that loss and away in a hotel for a few days! What a heroine!
    Will I still recognise you next time we meet? ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Switzerland
    on

Well done Lynne – you are an inspiration.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Just thinking. Ok, I know that’s dangerous!

As you know I was at a residential conference 4 days last week. Looking on as a BSDer, I was amazed at the amount of good served (and eaten).

Breakfast buffet had juice, cereals, fruit, yogurt, cooked option and toast
    Lunch: cooked meats, salads (usually in mayonnaise) cooked option and stodgy dessert.
    Dinner: 3 courses.
    Breaks : shortbread to go with the hot drinks.

Then the size of the portions. The pork I was served was huge – nearly an inch thick!

In the past I would have chosen what I liked and eaten it all, even after I was full. After all, it was all paid for. And I saw people eating so much last week. Diabetics eating fruit salad (in sugar syrup) because it’s healthy. Oh, served with sorbet, too. ๐Ÿ˜ณ
    Or the cheese board – lots of cheese with celery, grapes and crackers.

Many of my colleagues are overweight (it’s the lifestyle) and many are diabetic. One, on Metformin commented she can’t give up her carbs.

It’s been going through my little grey cells – when companies are looking closely at finance (and we are in an obesity epidemic) why are portion sizes so large? I felt guilty about sending back so much food at dinner, but better that than me be ill.

It was interesting to see how many were gluten free, had food allergies etc.

On the bright side. My boss, who hadn’t seen me since January, said I was wasting away. His wife asked how I’ve done it and for details of the book ๐Ÿ˜ƒ I had a long talk with one colleague who had gastric band surgery, then surgery to remove excess skin. She’s read this book too.

Ho hum. Looks like I’ve learned something!

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Pure Gold Captain Lynne! Absolutely fantastic weight loss results, and well done sticking to the plan at the hotel despite all the temptations. ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Wow, Lynne, spreading the word as well as shedding the weight!!! You will have them all converted at this rate! Barring the one who said she can’t give up carbs…..but you never know!! If others start BSDing perhaps the hotels could supply appropriate BSD meals then chef’s wouldn’t get upset at left over food. Wouldn’t that be an achievement for you Lynne!

For people like me and Janet who are hypothyroid you are very likely to develop gluten intolerance – or even coeliac disease – but with allergies you often crave the very thing which makes you ill. Bizarre!!

I’m so pleased for you with that 50lb weight loss, Lynne! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Another side effect ๐Ÿ˜ณ Some of my shoes (court shoes) are now too big๐Ÿ˜ฑ

More for the charity shop!

• posted by hashimoto
    on

I don’t know why but that made me chuckle, Lynne!! It’s such an unexpected side effect!!!
    It’s a shame though as shoes are never cheap! ๐Ÿ™ but guess your feet will be more comfortable now when you are on the move ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Natalie
    on

Congrats Lynne! That milestone is so exciting.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Judith, fortunately I had others to wear – only realised when I put them on for the funeral. Walking out of my shoes would not have been a good look๐Ÿ˜ฑ

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Chuckles. Our vicar used to sweep in for weddings and christenings often with mud on his boots. People used to complain but it was because he was really interested in the local history and was often digging for Roman coins in the vicarage garden ( he found loads and some old Roman mile markers). He visited parishioners a lot – especially the non church goers, not to hassle them but to let them know they were important to him. He was a lovely chap and always had time for people. He was also very interesting to talk to so I never understood what people were moaning about ๐Ÿ™ ????

• posted by captainlynne
    on

LOL. You can’t please all the people all of the time. It comes with the territory ๐Ÿ˜ณ

• posted by hashimoto
    on

The amazing thing is that it still gets moaned about and he retired over 40 years ago!!! And he’s been dead an awfully long time.

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi Lynne,
    I have also experienced my shoes being too big or a bit more comfy if they were a bit tight, amazing isn’t it where the weight comes off? Well done on the milestone reached, golly I look forward to that day for myself!
    Christine

• posted by captainlynne
    on

That’s so sad Judith. But I hear similar all the time๐Ÿ˜ฑ One day I might tell you some of the stuff that’s been said about me (and that’s only what I know about!). Can’t let it get to us.

Christine – looks like my next big goal will be 75 pound total! Scary!!! Look forward to you reaching your milestones๐Ÿ˜ƒ

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Lynne, I just don’t understand people a lot of the time ๐Ÿ™
    As a teenager I read a book by Corrie Ten Boom ( you probably know who I mean) and she said you shouldn’t say something negative about someone until you can say ten positive things.
    Considering what she went through when she was put in a death camp for helping Dutch Jews it is amazing she could still hold to that philosophy through the rest of her life.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Like my mum used to say ‘if you can’t say something nice, don’t say anything’.

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi general lynne
    You’ve heard that expression ‘ I woud’nt want to be in her shoes’! Well most of us would want to be in YOURS.
    And, before you criticize, walk a mile in another man’s shoes
    So, just kick off your shoes & enjoy the BSD. Delighted for you

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi Eureka. *waves*

I used to buy wider fitting shoes – probably why I was walking out of my heels. Finished up wearing my flat shoes – much safer. Probably need to put shoes on the shopping list now!

I sometimes think of ‘Mrs Doasyouwouldbedoneby’ in The Water Babies. (Showing my age!). Some people definitely put mouth in operation before brain in gear. Believe it or not, I’ve learned to ‘maintain a dignified silence’ – at least most of the time!

I’ll kick my shoes off in about three hours then settle down to watch tv (unless I get a call I’m half expecting). Transport out of the village is almost non-existent tomorrow (and rain forecast) so I’ll probably just stay in (again, call permitting).

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Mine too lynne ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by thepolly
    on

Hi captainlynne,

that’s a brilliant result, I’m hoping my weight loss and becoming no-longer-diabetic will happen as well as yours has/is.

You really are inspiring to a lot of us newer eaters in the blood sugar style.

Polly x

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Just been watching Rip Off Britain Food and have sent off a message to them about the sugar added to meat and poultry products! Let’s see if they reply!!! Be interesting if they decide to investigate. It might help if others in the UK contact them about it.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

I’ll try and watch the programme on catch up Lynne. Was it todays programme? ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Sorry Judith but nothing on programme about sugar. Strangely it was the research they’d done about food suitable for vegetarians that made me contact them. Lateral thinking LOL. They were saying that many foods people think are suitable for vegetarians in fact contain ingredients derived from animal/fish sources. Also advice about eating out for vegetarians as many chefs get it wrong.

It just made the connection in my little grey cells – the similarity with what they were talking about and what we are trying to do.

It was still an interesting programme though.

• posted by anthony
    on

You are an inspiration!

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Just checking in. Sorry if not around much, but have a work situation needing time and energy. Will keep reading posts and post when I can. Reading the posts and sticking to the BSD are helping in a stressful situation. Thanks everyone.

• posted by Shadow2
    on

captainlynne, well done on your fantastic results they are so impressive. Hope you have a good week.

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi Lynne,
    I’ve also found I need smaller shoes, we were going out for a meal and had to dig out an old pair of ‘wedding’ shoes, needless to say they went straight in the charity bag when I got home, the leather had flaked off, I’m now in need of at least one good pair of going out shoes, I normally wear flats too!
    Christine

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Went for the results of latest HbA1c today. When I walked in the nurse was more interested in telling me about her holiday, how bad she felt and the problems with her car. Then she asked why I was there! When she looked on the screen she couldn’t find the figures for the result. But she did find a note from the doctor saying I was being overtreated! I’ve never had diabetes meds. That did it! I could feel the blood pressure going up!!!

Someone came to sort out the system and she found the results

July 2015 – 8.7
    December 2015 (just before I started the BSD – 9.6
    January 2016 – 8.7 (one month in, don’t ask – it was a sneaky test, they got confused!)
    April 2016 *drum roll* – 5.5

She told me in the new measurements and had to find the conversion chart, saying she’d never seen one that low in this practice and that it was a good result.

She didn’t need the conversion chart for the older results. She *knows the high ones by heart*.

I’m not seeing her again until July for annual diabetes review, including another HbA1c.

She mentioned a diabetic male patient who paid to see a nutritionist privately and was told to eat lots of carbs ๐Ÿ˜ฑ My response was I’d teach a session!

No mention of revising diagnosis. Nothing positive.

Got the feeling that she was nice and encouraging in the beginning because she thought it wouldn’t last. Now she can see the results (weight loss and test results) she’s not happy.

Blood pressure up slightly (told her I wasn’t surprised and she should have checked it first thing) but in normal limits.

Ho hum. I should have gone to the Church coffee morning after the appointment but decided against it – just wanted to run away and lick my wounds! So went food shopping๐Ÿ˜ƒ

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Oh Lynne what a disappointment!

At least I know you well enough to know you shopped for healthy food even after that appointment .

She should be dancing that someone is taking control of their health and asking you to be part of a patient participation group x

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi Judith.

I’ve thought a lot about it while I was out and about. She wants/needs to lose weight herself, so that may have something to do with it. Plus the patients she sees who don’t make an effort to take control of their health.

But what chance do you have when the doctor gets it wrong?

Oh well, looks like that’s an appointment less each month. They should send for me for the diabetes review. Let’s see if they do!

And, yes, it was all healthy food. Among all the sparkling water, coffee and decaff there was the Cranberry and Red Orange tea I saw mentioned on here and some salmon. That will go nicely with some courgetti soon ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Going tomorrow to book the train tickets to London for my holiday early June. Staying overnight at hotel near Heathrow, then flying to Bologna to stay with friends who live in Cremona. On Monday I reserved a room at a b&b in Shropshire for early October. Thought it would be better to stay in this country because I need to renew my passport when I get back from Italy. It expires next March and I want a holiday abroad early next year o need to get it sorted. We keep being told to make sure we take holidays away and I’ve not been good at doing that, so,trying to do that this year. Might go in travel agents tomorrow and see what is available January/February/March – with sun.

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi general lynne
    First da dah! Great results ๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ’ You have worked hard for this, we know it.
    Second you are off script & she’s just the prompt in the wings? We want the playwright โœ๐Ÿป to CHANGE the script; write a new one.
    Third the army of proof is gathering behind you & the other big hitters doing BSD. The results ( when they find them) are in your records! They can’t screw with that. But get a print out of your blood results so you have a copy too. EVERYONE DO THAT!
    Change is coming, they just don’t know it YET.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Hi Lynne despite the useless doctor that is a great result on the sugar front.
    Get your holiday booked then you can go relax for a while, you deserve it.
    when you get back you’ll be close to July nd when those test results come back, demand a revised diagnosis, I don’t know you that well but I’m sure you’ll stand up for yourself ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi Eureka and Bill

Eureka – thanks for the flowers๐Ÿ˜ƒ I’m used to being off script in more than this๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Bill – I was curious what the result would be, and delighted with it. Very happy to be under 6!

When all the blood results come back (always assuming they send for me when they’ve said) that’s exactly what I was intending to do. Like many folk on here, know me better than a lot of people I know in ‘real life’ ๐Ÿ˜ณ Trust me – I can more than stand up for myself ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Please log in or register to post a reply.