Our Next Interactive 4 Week Challenge ends Tues 21st Feb

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Theodora
    on

PS As Verano says, good title choice, and thank you so much for organising both this current challenge, and the new one (when it comes)

I will spend the remaining few days of this challenge thinking about what I would like to achieve in the next. Thanks again.

• posted by Verano
    on

You did really well Theodora to have a holiday and lose weight!!

Sounds like you’re having a really good day sunshine-girl. Maybe somebody has finally cut the string on that yo-yo!!

• posted by Doodledootoo
    on

Today is my official weigh in day. I’m down one pound since last week. Was lower during the weekend (weirdly) but today is what counts. Now 11st 1 which was my target for the 4 week challenge. So delighted with that. If I can push on to another pound by next week that would be fabulous too. Thanks all for the inspiration. I’ll be in the next 4 week challenge too. Thanks for organising. Love reading all the stories. It really keeps me motivated.

• posted by Maharani kitten
    on

Some good losses and good news for many – inspiring stuff. Good and bad for me. 6lbs off (target is 7 by end of challenge so should make it) but blood sugars erratic and exercise regime still not established due to a bit of home and work stress, poor sleep and this wretched chest infection. No other explanation I can see as I’m doing nothing different. All this bs shenanigans seemed to start when I had my first hypo, quickly followed by another, about 3 weeks ago, one tablet of glicozide to blame I think. Hoping the coming of Spring will put a spring in my step and that next week’s first diabetic eye exam doesn’t throw up anything scary. A bit nervous, if honest. MKx

• posted by Rosebery
    on

Good luck with the eye exam Maharani kitten! I know how nerve wracking medical tests and exams can be, maybe. try a bit of mindfulness beforehand.

I have weighed this morning at 152.2 lb which is exactly bmi 27 for me, so I have new micro goals of getting into the 151s and bmi 26s. Hoping to do that by the end of this challenge!

on

I am lazy so need to be an organised and ‘prepped’ person around food as I make poor decisions if I don’t. am resisting exercise though I have gorgeous walks on my doorstep, a small gym 100 yards from my door, a swimming pool next to the nearest supermarket.
    So. Have put out warm scarf, cosy coat and walking boots, set phone alarm for brisk 30 minute lunchtime walk today. . Rowing machine clothes ready for after work. Swimming bag for weekend ready to grab and go. Let’s see if it works! No excuses. After seven weeks of dithering, look out 2017, I’m off!! MKx

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

MK I too like to be organised. Every Sunday I type up a weekly menu and every night I check for the next day. If I didn’t do this I would go to the fridge and find that something I thought I would have is not there and maybe turn to something I shouldn’t have, although there is not much in my fridge or cupboards that aren’t BSD friendly. Like yesterday, I was having frittata for dinner and suddenly realised I had only 2 eggs (need 4 for the 2 of us) so I looked at my menu for the rest of the week and saw I had everything I needed for the Chinese pork balls – it did alter the calories a bit but at least in my favour. My husband says I am a control freak but really I am not that bad.

Today I got back down to 73 kg and just need to lose 0.1 kg to get me under and to my pre Christmas weight. Problem is, the weekend is looming and I have to be really strong and not have any wine. I know I can do it as I manage without most weekends, just need this final push. Strangely, although I have seen this before, my BG is up to 120 or 6.6, but that is still within the ideal range of between 80 and 120 (according to my doctor), must have had something, maybe too much cheese in one day or one square of milk chocolate (with ginger) instead of the 70% dark. One never knows.

• posted by Verano
    on

Chocolate ginger OHHHHHH! I just love Lindt’s dark chocolate ginger but they’ve discontinued it. Sunshine-girl now I have the ‘taste’ for chocolate ginger I’m just going to have to search the internet until I can find a substitute!!!

Well done on getting back down to 73kg.

on

Verano Green & Black 60% cocoa and ginger, although I dont find it very gingery. I used to love stem ginger enrobed in dark chocolate and there was always a box under the Christmas tree just for me because no one else liked it.

• posted by Verano
    on

STOP NOW!!!!! If I had to choose any sweet/chocolate to have as my last ever taste of something sweet it would be dark chocolate ginger!!!!

My daughter bought me some Hotel Chocolat chocolate ginger at Christmas but I’m afraid it was too sickly for me. Have to be honest I’m not fussed on their chocolate at all and in fact we had some other orangey drops things but we put them in the bin!!!!!

In the absence of anything darker the Green & Blacks would be acceptable but now of course I’m on a ‘mission’ to find darker chocolate ginger!!!

• posted by Snoop
    on

Guys, I’m going to have to abandon you for a couple of weeks or so. But I will be back. Try and catch up with the next challenge. Good luck everyone.

on

Bye by Snoop hope it is for good reasons, missing you already.

Verano, Thorntons do dark chocolate gingers – oh no I think I might have to get daughter to bring some out although they do deliver.

• posted by Julia18togo
    on

Well I haven’t been very interactive with this challenge. Apologies all – feel bad when I have a few minutes to read these encouraging posts which are of great benefit, but then don’t give back to you all. I am ridiculously slow when using the phone to type and work has been so hectic my “lunch breaks” (what are they?) have not let me post much.
    I can report that I have managed to lose the 3 kilos I wanted to with interest of sorts – regained them with stupid eating during a stressful week, a week into the challenge. So really I am pleased with myself for having got rid of more than 3. However, with another few days to go I might get down some more. My goal is to be back to 70 something kilos rather than hovering around 80 (currently 81). Last time I was there was the summer but BSDing away in seriousness this year after my winter blip. As I said some weeks back I’m in this for the long haul….
    Well done to all… some great results here. It doesn’t matter that some lose more than others when the numbers are going down. We all have different frames, metabolisms etc.

• posted by Verano
    on

See you soon Snoop. Take care and we’ll still be here when you get back.

Sunshine-girl I have to get chocolate ginger out of my head otherwise I will definitely crack! A friend brought me some beautiful home made apple strudel and cookies earlier, I now have to find will power from somewhere to resist them!!!

Ok so no more talk of goodies. I’m off to have my broccoli and stilton soup …. never mind!

• posted by Marsie
    on

See you soon Snoop, hope all is ok.

Oh, just stop with the chocolate ginger! Please! Funny, until recently it was the only dark chocolate I liked, now OH has to watch his GF Lindt darks, they’re nicer than I thought.

Good luck with the eye tests Maharani Kitten. Strange that you and I, at opposite ends of the earth, just can’t shake a rotten chest infection. For a while it was impossible to exercise, coughing so much it hurt, but I’ve started back with my pilates and walking. GP hadn’t wanted me back at the gym yet, but this is a very small and fully supervised one, and it feels so much better to be doing something active.

Sounding good Sunshine-girl, Rosebery, doodledootoo.

It’s late here, should be asleep, Almost 1.00am. Obviously still excited by the concert we went to tonight. Our local council’s annual Valentine’s concert (the 1st one ever actually was on V’s Day, now on the Thursday nearest ). Outdoors at Joondalup Country Club, they set up a music shell on one of the fairways and the 8000 strong crowd set up their picnic chairs down the length of the fairway. Beautiful starry night, the breeze thankfully dropped away, WA Symphony Orchestra, the wonderful Kate Cebrano with tenor Michael Falzon playing some of the James Bond theme songs. Such an enjoyable night:)

But I am going upstairs now, so goodnight all, or good day, whichever applies x

• posted by Wally
    on

To take part in the next 4 week challenge do I just need to start posting on here giving an update, good or bad? Sorry if I appear a bit dim. Really enjoy reading all your comments.

• posted by Busybee
    on

Our daughter bought me dark chocolates with ginger from Fortnum and Mason for my birthday last December and I asked her to keep them for Christmas. Then I caught the gastric bug so didn’t eat them. Mid January I opened the tube and tasted one. It was divine! I ate one more and then put them back into the fridge. Each Saturday night hubby and I had one each and found that nibbling it slowly was enough to satisfy our tastebuds. Only last week I put in a request for some more instead of an Easter egg!
    Who would have thought that we would all be drooling over chocolate gingers?
    X B

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi Wally, Yes just post whatever and whenever.

Ok I’m now going to ‘hunt’ down the chocolate ginger on the internet until I find one that’s more chocolate than ginger, with at least 70% dark chocolate and preferably no carbs and less than 10 calories per 100g!!!!! Think I may have set myself quite a task but will report back when I find it!!!!

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Mum came to stay last weekend and brought, guess what. Chocolate gingers. Beautiful dark chocolate, not too sweet. I managed to restrict myself to one that night, and she left me the last one which I saved for V day as a treat. Lovely.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Wally – welcome to this thread. It finishes on the 21st February and Marsie will be starting a new thread on that day which we can all join. I read the posts every day and it really helps me keep on track. So just start posting today – giving an update (good or bad) and if you have any questions there is always someone who can help.

Julia18togo – well done for getting back on track. It will be fantastic when you are down into the 70 kilos. I agree it is really difficult to post when life gets really hectic and during those times I also find it is so helpful to just read the posts.

Marsie – your convert sounds so enjoyable. I am glad you are feeling better.

Maharani kitten – fingers crossed for your eye exam.

on

Well, organisation is obviously the key to success. 30 minute brisk beach walk. Tick. 30 mins interval rowing. Tick. Exercise clothes in neat heap for tomorrow. Tick. Let’s see if we can keep it up!
    Enough already with the chocolate gingers. My similar passion is dark, dark chocolate covered sour orange peel and I’m helpless around it, can’t sleep if it’s in the house. You’re making me want to get in the car and drive to the nearest stockist so I can be first on their doorstep! I always thought 60 miles was a big enough distance between me and my nemesis. Maybe not….MK x

• posted by Julia18togo
    on

G&Bs 85% chocolate with fresh slivers of ginger. Would that be disgusting or maybe just really nice? Been thinking about this all evening – so glad that for once there’s none of the evil dairy milk stuff in the house or I’d have succumbed for sure tonight. Or even… what about poaching some pieces of fresh ginger in maple syrup and adding the 85% choc… or even squeezing ginger juice into melted choc and letting it set? If anyone findsany of these work then we may have a business opportunity😆

• posted by Julia18togo
    on

MK brilliant on the exercise front and best wishes for eye exam.

on

Curse you, Ginger choccers😈
    Dreamt about candied sour orange peel with lashings of choc last night and now the carb monster is clawing at my back, telling me that with a 20 mile diversion on a work trip today, my nemesis could be mine. Because I’ll only buy one pack. And eat it one delicious piece at a time. Errrrr. NOT. Mwahahahahaha…… MKx
    *kitten locks herself in dark cupboard till she hears the monster leave*

• posted by Verano
    on

Julia18togo where did you see that G&B chocolate? I’ve not found it on the internet.

I did find Thorntons 70% dark ginger chocolate block which has 3.9g of carbs and 55 calories in 10 grams. That compares with Lindt 70% which has 57 cals and 3.4g carbs so looks like it could be a good ‘treat’. I love the Thorntons chocolate coated gingers and maybe this will compare. I’m going to give it a go and will let you know.

MK best thing to do with ‘orange’ chocolate is put in the freezer in squares and just take one out at a time. I’m going to do that with my ginger chocolate!!!

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

MK – that carb monster is so persistent – which is so scary.

A couple of times this week I have dished up some ice cream for husband. The carb monster keeps whispering that just one spoonful of ice cream will be absolutely fine and I will no longer be tempted to eat the rest of the tub – even though ice cream has always been a major problem for me in the past. I thought that the carb monster had been completed banished from my life but obviously it is still lurking and waiting for an opportunity to lure me back to the carbs.

Score so far is KD 2 carb monster 0. KD wins this time but husband has to get his own non-BSD food next time.

• posted by Fairyface
    on

KrysiaD…. I am so sorry to say this but reading your comments has really perked me up.
    I have been on this way of eating since 1st October last year and this week feel as though I could have eaten everything in massive portions. I am struggling not to cave in:-/

My husband normally does the meal plan for the week but yesterday I checked what we have been having over the last few weeks and noticed we have been having meals which have been high in carbs (out of the recipe book). So I have now done the meal plan for next week and he has the shopping list;-) This morning I have written out all three meals for today with calories and carbs. Well under on carbs which will allow me to have a spoonful of yoghurt this evening should I want/need it. I think I need to do this daily for a little while to see how I get on along with how much weight I lose. I have mostly lost 400-500g a week so I should not complain.

This forum is fantastic.

on

Still sitting at 73kg but BG down to 5.8 (105), still a bit high but within reason. That is it for today folks…..

on

Lol Verano. That freezer plan sounds great but I literally have zero control over this particular treat. All I can say to that plan is…microwave.
    . I’m not kidding, my sweet tooth is so pervasive that in the absence of sweeties in the house, I once licked the melted chocolate from my God-daughter’s face – she’d scoffed my secret packet of chocolate buttons.
    *kitten peers cautiously around broom cupboard door and picks up car keys*
    I WILL NOT drive to the lovely choc shop. Even if Grizelda the carb monster is hiding in the boot of my car…
    Walk done – tick – gorgeous day today. Happy weekends everyone.

• posted by topcac
    on

Hello all

I’ll be joining the next 4 week challenge because, even though I am officially maintaining now, I’m not sure how long that will last since I appear to have woken my carb monster and am having trouble putting him back to sleep (it’s definitely a him – no name as yet but
    Satan seems about right at the moment!)

I don’t know if anyone on here can help with this but I have upped my exercise quite a bit in the last month and it’s playing havoc with my appetite. I few weeks ago I succumbed to a rather large amount of chocolate and when I thought about it I decided that I needed to up my fat. I am assuming this because I am also assuming I have very little fat stores since my BMI is under 21 so if I want to exercise I thought it was the answer. It doesn’t seem to have worked. It may be that because of the chocolate I’m just craving it now and will have to go cold turkey again and reset but any advice would be welcomed.

As an indication I usually exercise about 3/4 times a week, either running, rowing or swimming, sometimes all three. To date this year I’ve covered 75km.

On other things, good luck with the eye test MK, keep Grizelda locked away if you can – maybe we need to also create a BSD fairy that sits there polishing her halo when we are being good….have a good weekend all
    TC xxx

• posted by Trelawny
    on

I have been absent. I have been hibernating from the cold, biting wind with bread and cake!!! All my wonderful intentions gone out of the window. Haven’t even read the forum. I was doing so well, what went wrong?!!! Mixmatch you are down soon. Cafes in town ‘Harry’s Cali Style’ or ‘The Salt Bar’ or of course ‘Trevaskis’ or the Quay House Pub along the Causeway. Let me know which you fancy, have a geek on line. Then let me know when and where and I will be there. You can give me a good talking to and get me on the straight and narrow again. Bring piccies please. I went to yoga on Tuesday and overstretched so have had the last 2 days in bed with a bad back!!! One of the reasons I went on an improved lifestyle, lose weight, exercise get my old bones moving better and then like a bolt out of the blue!! So serves me right for going off the straight and narrow. But I was doing Yoga so some consolation, lol!! But back at work today, taking things slow and doing okay. Look forward to hearing from you Mixmatch.

• posted by SweetpeaHun
    on

Hi,

I’m new to all this, how do I find out when the next 4 week challenge is?

• posted by topcac
    on

Hi Sweetpeahun – look for the title:

CHALLENGE FOR THE CHANGING SEASONS: 4 WEEKS UNTIL 21st MARCH in the forum over the next few days (probably Monday/Tuesday). Just state what you want to do over the four week challenge, whether that be weight loss, exercise goals, maintenance through a busy social time and that’s it. Done. Then keep posting your progress so we can all support you 🙂

• posted by Marsie
    on

Hi SweetpeaHun, welcome to our current challenge.

As the title says we finish this one on Tuesday 21st by weighing and posting or results and/or comments.

By then I will have opened another challenge for us to move into. Don’t want to do that too early, finish this one with a blast first. Stick with us until then.

To join in, just post. All welcome. Tell us a little about your goals, or whatever you want. The title to look for will be:
    CHALLENGE FOR THE CHANGING SEASONS: 4 WEEKS UNTIL 21st MARCH

• posted by LindaA
    on

Hi topcac
    I’ve been maintaining since September and my BMI is about the same as yours.
    I average 75-125km per week of walking, that and yoga is all I do, and I’ve simply increased my fat until I am satiated. I have not increased my carbs at all and I’m afraid I’m one of those that if I had chocolate or anything else sweet, I wouldn’t be able to stop, so I gave up cold turkey in April last year.
    For breakfast this morning, I’ve just scrambled 2 (double yolk) eggs in butter, added 2 teaspoons of double cream, added 30g of parmigiana cheese and a piece fatty bacon fried in butter (I added the fat and a load of salt as well). I’m about to go on a 3 hour bush walk (which I do about 4 days a week), then play 2 games of softball this afternoon. By lunch, I’ll find that I’m still full from breakfast and won’t bother eating till dinner.
    Seems to work for me! Oh, in case your wondering, I’m 57!
    I had my cholesterol checked and my HDL is up and my triglycerides are down and I have a fabulous ratio between the 2 just in case anyone is worried that I’m going to drop dead of a heart attack!😀

• posted by Julia18togo
    on

Verano – the Green & Blacks 85% chocolate is in my Sainsbury’s supermarket. The ginger was my addition – I was just thinking last night (salivating!) over how to get the ginger kick and chocolate kick without the carbs.10g of 85% is 2.25g carbs. 62 calories and 5g fat. And fresh ginger slivers are near zero everything, what’s not to like 😆
    Works for me.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Hi Trelawny, the Salt Bar sounds very interesting, I think it’s the place that used to be a meadery briefly, but I have never eaten there. Harry’s Cali style is also new to me and I do have a weakness for spicy food. Choices, choices. I have eaten at the Old Quay House and Trevaskis many times and fancy something different this time so one of those first two mentioned I think. I’ll let you choose. We will probably be getting into town on the Sunday (last Sunday in February), so will be available any weekday or the following Saturday if you are working during the week. There aren’t too many piccies of me at my biggest, but I am sure I can find a few to show the contrast. OH found a piccie of young me in a bikini the other day, I probably weighed more then than I do now, but the tummy was flatter! First job at the new house is get a proper bed delivered and built so we are not trying to sleep on air beds or futons. Then try to work out where the leak is coming from in the dining room. Still we should get some time for some healthy walks on the beach.

• posted by Verano
    on

Julia18togo

What a clever idea!!!! I must have been half asleep when I read your post. I know it’s not quite the same as the old Lindt ginger chocolate but it’s certainly worth a try!

MK hope you managed to avoid the ‘sweet stuff’!!

I’m really looking forward to the new challenge next Tuesday especially as I missed the end of the last one and this one entirely. So I’ve had my break now and am raring to go. Must admit I have discovered quite a few things about my diet this last month and that’s made me rethink the 800 calorie diet. When I’ve formulated my new plan and goals for the coming challenge I’ll post them on the new thread.

Have a good weekend.

• posted by loopylou
    on

Looking forward to joining your new challenge

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

My last Saturday weigh-in on this thread before I transfer to the new one since I started late, I have put some weight on over the last few days, but looking at my progress so far that seems to be how this reverse diet works, and the graph looks like a bit of a saw tooth. I am still a healthy weight, but up to 11:00.8 again currently. I had a meal out last night, and quite unexpectedly found a main course that was WOE friendly. A cauliflower rice risotto, with a goats cheese and cream sauce, a parmesan crisp and a poached duck egg. It looked tiny when it arrived compared to all the dustbin lids of steak and chips around me but was absolutely delicious, I will be doing my best to reproduce it at home and when I do will definitely post the recipe. It was so rich and creamy it may not be suitable for 800 fast days but I will also experiment with less rich variants. Starter was smoked salmon on rye, but the bread was cut into tiny circles and served as a base under the fish, it was very decorative, I ate it but could have lived without it.

on

STILL 73kg, but not worrying as it has only been since Tuesday and I know it will whoosh away. Just makes me more determined. BG down to 4.5 so keeping on keeping on…

• posted by Rosebery
    on

Good morning, I reached my micro challenge of getting into the 26s for BMI – weight this morning 151.6 lb and that makes my BMI 26.9! Don’t think I can make it into the 25s for the end of this challenge, but that sounds like a possibility for the next one!

on

Well done Rosebery, I have a bmi of around 32 and would love to get under the 30 so I am no longer obese – hate that word. However, I am 4 foot 11 inches so I am just undertall.

Forgot to mention that even though I have been stuck around 73 kg (got to 72.8 just before Xmas) I have lost another 2 inches, half inch each off thighs, midriff and stomach. So I am no longer barrel round. Think it must be the exercise toning legs.

• posted by tigs
    on

Treading water for about 3 weeks. Needing to be stronger 😉

on

Ashamed. Was foolish with food yesterday for only the third time in four months. First two lapses were early , as I got established. This one? Not sure why but I consumed thousands of inappropriate calories and silly carbs all at one sitting. Bread, which I know makes me ill. Fruit cake, which I keep in the tin for Mr Kitten, the only badness he’s allowed to have in the house because I don’t really like it. . Fruit juice, big glassful. No, two big glasses . No proper reason beyond some mad sabotage instinct which has been building in my head for a while. Mindfulness went out of the window, I knew what I was doing and kept going.

Upside was I went to bed (exhausted by sugar) and slept 10 blissful and uninterrupted hours. Downside is very sore stomach and nausea this morning, but FBS is only 5.8, I expected much much worse Go figure.

Up early for brisk walk, church and swim.

Grizelda won’t win, and I’ll be back on the waggon today. But I wish I understood what’s going on in my head. Mkx

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi MK

I think it’s being ‘human’!!!!

Put it all behind you. Today is another day, clean sheet, enjoy …. but within your plan if you can!

• posted by Bissell
    on

Morning MK. Don’t be ashamed. You didn’t do anything amoral or wicked, you just ate some carbohydrates.
    But it’s curious isn’t it, why we (and I’m sure most of us do it from time to time) as you say, self sabotage. If you are anything like me, you don’t even get much pleasure from wolfing down something you later regret. Why, why why do we do it?

Oh well, as Verona says, put it behind you and crack on. Enjoy your day and, if it’s anything like where I live, a fabulous sun rise of pink streaked sky. And your swim!

on

I am still 73kg with BG of 5.4. Hoping it will shift by Tuesday. The only thing I have eaten off plan is 3 prunes and a chocolate liqueur. That was because I could feel myself slipping away and started sweating and knew I needed food. My BG was 3.8 after the prunes and chocolate so I think I was right to eat them. Surely, that would not cause weight problems as I was still around 800 cals. Oh well, at least I have stayed off the wine this weekend (and last weekend) so no nothing since birthday meal on 8th so doing okay and not going to beat myself up. Neither should you MK – it is probably like pregnancy when you eat weird things, it is your body telling you that you need something and your brain goes through its filing cabinet to find a food containing that thing (mineral, Vitamin or whatever) but can only come up with things it knows from your past eating. Blame the cavewoman in you.

• posted by Marsie
    on

No shame attached MK; and no beating up needed SG, you need to deal with hypos at the earliest; you’re treading water tigs; and I’m circling. I agree with Bissell and Verano, being human, that’s us, so, our old saying…. keep on keeping on….

• posted by tigs
    on

Thanks Marsie, I really needed that kind word. Let’s all take heart 🙂

Please log in or register to post a reply.