ONE WEEK AT A TIME beginning March 19th 2019

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by wendleg
    on

This is an ongoing weekly thread , (initially set up by Verano, continued by Sunny B and Allie) , the aim of which is to offer friendly advice, support and encouragement to anyone embarking on or continuing FAST 800. We are a friendly bunch and welcome all members . Whatever the challenges you are facing, we will beat the carb monsters together !

• posted by 1960smp
    on

Hi
    I appreciate all those keeping this going, it’s both informative and inspirational.

Nuts- can’t remember what’s best in this woe? Thanks

• posted by Scottishgal
    on

Ah nuts!……..for me it’s better not to buy any as I just demolish the whole lot in one go.🙄
    I believe salted peanuts are the worst choice for BSD. I like dry roasted. And cashews are good too. I think you’re ok with most nuts but only in moderation……that’s the bit I’m struggling with lol

• posted by wendleg
    on

Go steady on the nuts 1960smp…I can chomp my way through far too many. Healthy fats but the calories add up!

Here is a useful visual guide from dietdoctor.com
    https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/nuts

So pecans, brazils and almonds rather than cashews !

Keep posting and tell us more about yourself

• posted by Verano
    on

Hello. I’ve not been posting much lately but I have noticed a few new members with T2 and I just wanted to give them some encouragement.
    Today I had my diabetic review with my practice nurse. My HbA1c was 32 (5.1) and my cholesterol at it’s lowest ever level of 4.2.
    There are several of us on the forums who have reversed their T2 and are still posting. I started this ‘diet’, which is how I viewed it at first, in July 2016. I was taking 2000mg of metformin a day and there was talk of further medication on the horizon. Within months my HbA1c had reduced from 6.4 to 5.8 and six months later I was drug free.
    I found that my HbA1c was reducing even without huge weight loss and it seems, in retrospect, that it was the reduction in carbs that did the trick. At its lowest my HbA1c was 4.8.
    2018 wasn’t the best year for weight for me with a gain over the year mainly from too much of the good stuff but still staying away from bread potatoes etc. Despite my weight gain at my last review in July 2018 I was still at 5.8.
    I worried about this latest review. I have lost most of my 2018 gain and fortunately my HbA1c still remains in the ‘normal’ range at 5.1. My practice nurse is delighted with my progress and that of my OH who has also reversed his T2, although he is far more liberal with his carbs! Today we spoke of this as a way of eating as opposed to a ‘diet’.
    So for those asking if this works … it can. Is this way of eating/life sustainable …
    it is. It does take some getting used to and it doesn’t usually follow a linear path but it will bring great rewards with perseverance.
    I believe that, for me, the secret of keeping my diabetes at bay is to remain low carb and that the weight, per se, is of less importance. I may be wrong. I don’t think I will ever be able to go back to the old carb filled days ….. and maybe now I don’t want to!
    Good luck becoming more healthy …. it is possible.
    Have a good week everyone.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Thank you so much Wendy, for taking the initiative with this week’s registration to keep us all
    traveling together! To do otherwise would be unthinkable :).

I miss you V., when you’re not around. We do have several new members that are diabetic, and
    your story is always so inspirational. I never tire of reading it! Are you feeling healthy to embark
    on your next cruise? It can only be a few weeks away now? Always traveling with you, V.!

• posted by wendleg
    on

V, that is such a positive, uplifting post !! I am so pleased for you. Reversing T2 is a massive achievement for both you and your O/h and your experience is a tremendous inspiration for others. As you so rightly say, it’s about becoming healthy and I am sure your post will give hope to many.
    I hope you continue to check in with us because as Allie says we do miss you on the thread xx

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi Allie you are too kind!
    I sometimes feel that useful information for the new members with diabetes gets ‘lost’ amongst the ‘macros’, the ‘fasting’, the ‘science’ , the ‘podcasts’ etc. etc. all of which are great, but occasionally I think it’s nice to know that diabetes can be reversed by just keeping low carb! Simplistic I know, but I guess the truth of the matter is that this way of eating is ‘simple’ if you follow a few basic rules and forget everything you ever thought you knew about ‘dieting’!!!
    Yes just 4 weeks before our trip and I feel fine but I know realistically that my walking has a way to go yet. Hopefully it won’t be too much of an impediment but hey I can always ‘just keep taking the pills’! I guess you have new computer as your ‘9’s have disappeared!
    I’ll keep popping in as and when so ‘speak’ soon.

• posted by Verano
    on

Wendy we posted ‘together’! I will check in …. just not sure how often! You are doing a great job keeping everyone on track.

• posted by Verano
    on

I just wanted to say that I drew great inspiration from sunshine-girl’s post on the March 12th thread. It certainly put things into perspective for me. Sometimes we get so bogged down by the tiny details we lose track of the bigger picture. Thank you s-g it would be great if you could repost please.
    BTW great to hear your good results ….. we are both really keeping on keeping on…….

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi Verano, was it this post:-

I have just got around to reading my December edition of Prima that I bought when in the UK. There is a big article about Dawn French. Reading it made me realise I am setting my goals too high and looking at things all wrong. When I watch Countdown I always say ‘I want a figure like that’ referring to Rachel Riley. Get a life, I could never look like that (maybe when I was 18), for a start I am only 4’11” tall. Then I read the Dawn French article and, by the way, she is looking great. She says ‘once you let yourself off the hook for not being perfect, you’ve got room to fly’. Also, ‘I know I am getting older, I know I get fat sometimes and I know I get less fat…. I just try to allow it, if you allow it you can get on with other stuff’. I need to be more accepting of myself. I am not fat, but I bit overweight exacerbated by being tiny. I am 66 years old and will never be 20 again or 7 stone. Accept it and live with it. I do have lovely long thick reddish hair and good clear skin which more than makes up for a few wrinkle and a podgy belly. I do want good health and will look after myself the best I know how.

• posted by Scottishgal
    on

Hi Verano, it’s great to read your story and it has inspired me. I’ve been T2 for over 7 years now and like you on 2000mg metformin per day. (Was also on canafliglozin but stopped taking it when I started BSD as read it could lead to ketoacidosis if taken while low carbing and low cals).
    I always dread getting my hba1c done but this time I can’t wait, especially after reading your post. I started BSD on 7th January and I have an appointment for bloods next Wednesday 27th March. I’ve deliberately waited for 3 months and hope for an improvement. My last hba1c on 4/10/18 was 62 (7.8%). I’d managed to get it down from 72 (8.7%) in July as they were threatening to increase the medication. I doubt my result will be as good as yours in such a short time but any reduction is better than none.☺️

• posted by Verano
    on

Thank you sunshine-girl. Sometimes other people’s posts just hit home and this one certainly did with me!
    Scottishgal I’m glad I have been able to give you some hope. Truthfully, if you stick with low carbs your blood sugar will improve. You can do it. It’s really encouraging now that lots of the medical profession are taking low carb seriously although there are still pockets of resistance. Somebody, sorry not sure who, posted a link to David Unwin on YouTube on the ‘Take a look at this’ thread, which is really worth lookIng at. I enjoyed being reminded of the science behind carbs and increases in blood sugar. After nearly three years of this way of life it’s good to be reminded now and again just why simple carbs are such a bad idea. Best of luck on your journey.

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

I needed to see off 2 and a bit lbs to hit 12st; this morning it is just over 1lb. Close but no cigar and it was no doubt the wine stealth bombers wot done it. But onwards! All enjoyed chicken Shawarma last night! So with that and Chicken Marbella I have added two delicious recipes to repertoire. Low carb muffins/cupcakes I will not bother with again (almond flour – I left out the sweetener – just because I didn’t want to buy a packet and then not use most of it – added extra vanilla essence and a tspn and a bit of agave nectar which I did have) – basically a bit of a waste of lovely raspberries and blueberries….and my guests still have a dozen to get through….Anyway, hope everyone has a great week and look forward to reading how people (and I mean everyone!!) are getting on.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Congrats again on those results V – you must be feeling very proud. I’ve not been T2, but I sincerely believe that the broader health benefits of low carb, offers huge advantages to us all – it is certainly a permanent for me. I’m sure that for newcomers with T2, it is a boost to get a simple clear and uncomplicated message from someone who has achieved all that you have V and that it provides them with hope and inspiration.
    Hope that you results will be what you’re hoping for Scottishgal. I’m sure they will be an improvement on last time.
    Oh I think that deserves a ‘cigar’ 6turkeys. Glad that the shawarma was enjoyed – haven’t tried the Marbella yet, but it’s among the recipes that recipes I’m taking to Turkey with me.
    Anyway, I’m kicking of my week a smidge over target weight – only by 0.5lb, but it’s annoying. This is up on last week, so not where I WANT to be, but in truth is where I SHOULD be, given transgressions over the w/e. Time to get serious – I know, how many times am I going to say that and fall short? Three weeks to go to our trip, so now I really do need to knuckle under.
    Hope everyone has a good BSD week and will be reporting good things this time next week.

• posted by Busybee
    on

Good morning/evening fellow BSD’s
    I’m very pleased that, at last, I am back in the 15’s – I managed to lose the last two pounds to discard the Christmas 8 lb gain and have also lost another two pounds, however that was probably due to a nasty tummy bug which attacked me over the last two days.
    Hoping to maintain the loss until we leave for Lanzorote next week!
    Best to all
    B X

• posted by TheBudgie
    on

I never know if I’m writing in the correct threads so apologise if I upset anybody here.

Last night I struggled for the first time so far, working late and my energy dropped unbelievably. Getting home was a serious effort I just wanted food, I even found myself wandering around the bad section of the mini supermarket whilst waiting for the bus. I knew once I was home it would be ok as I only have this woe foods in the flat. But I could have easily failed last night, feel proud today I didn’t but hoping I don’t get too many of those again.

Happy Tuesdays everyone

• posted by avisamuelgrey
    on

I’ve discarded a further 2lbs, taking me to a total of 16lbs in 5 weeks.

I’ve also had a horrible stomach upset since Friday, and have had no appetite, so please remind me of this when I am grumpy next week that the scales haven’t moved!

At the doctor yesterday, I overheard a lady picking up a blood sugar monitor. She was hunched over a zimmer on wheels and struggling to catch her breath. She looked unwell, and although I couldn’t swear on her age, I’d say maybe early 60s, and was talking loudly about not wanting to be referred to hospital again. If ever I needed a wake-up call to persevere with this WoE, she was it. What a shame it’s taken so long for the low fat myth to be debunked – maybe she could have been feeling much better at this stage of her life.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

BusyBee – congrats on the discard and commiserations on the tummy bug. If you are cautious this week, I’m sure you will be able to hang on to at least some of that loss, you might even be able to build on it. Brilliant result to have go back into the 15’s and I’m confident you will be doing your utmost to build on that result. before you head off to Lanzarote.

Budgie – huge pat on the back for resisting the bad stuff, even when challenged by low energy and hunger. Might be worth considering carrying a little BSD friendly snack with you, in case of a similar situation – a few almonds in a little pot maybe. Great that you have shown yourself what you can do though and you have every right to feel proud.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

avisa – sorry you have had the bug too – hope you are feeling better now. I know what you mean about wishing the low fat/high carb rote had been debunked sooner – I so wish I have found out about the low carb way of life sooner, but so thankful I found it at all, life feels so much more positive now.
    Hope you manage to discard something over the coming week – I’m sure you’ll succeed.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi everyone. Hi V, your post echoes exactly how I feel about keeping the diabetes flag flying so to speak which is why I posted about my near miss hypos as few weeks ago. I was trying to do the various styles of diet and on one day tried TRE (time restricted eating) and nearly had a hypo, then a couple of days later I tried a fast from 8pm to 12 noon and, although I was okay during that time period, later in the afternoon it started to catch up with me and I ending up in a heap on the floor. Not quite unconscious but hubby feeding me liquid glucose through a tube until I could get back up and eat to reverse it. There are quite a few diabetics following us and they need to know that some of the different types of this diet are maybe not for them. We have to look after our health and remember that diabetes can be life threatening with the wrong advice.

I had a small three quarter pound gain over the weekend – usual story – a few glasses of wine. However, blood glucose is 5.7 this morning which is 103 in old money – I rarely go above 100. Think I will reduce insulin to 23 units tonight and see how that goes down. It is another week and as usual I will be doing my best to keep myself healthy.

Have a good week everyone.

• posted by 1960smp
    on

AH thanks, I was going to use nuts as a snack if needed, portioned out of course!

• posted by lauraknits
    on

Hi
    Yesterday was day one for me .. but not for the first time. I lost 36lbs in 2014 counting calories and then 20lbs and 8lbs on two separate occasions in 2017 using this WoE. This is a total loss of 64lbs which is great but unfortunately due to overeating (no excuses) I have gained 21lbs back in the last year.
    My intention is to hopefully get rid of these 21lbs in the following 8 weeks and then I would only be 7lbs from my target weight.
    This forum has helped me enormously in the past even though I really don’t post anything it is great to read everyones stories and helpful tips. I hope to post a bit more this time as I think I may need some encouragement from time to time. I think I know what I am doing it’s just a matter of sticking to it !

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Good to have you with us lauraknits, as you know this WOE I’m sure you’ll slot back into it easily enough and we’ll be very happy to offer what support and encouragement we can, as and when required, just shout. Even though you gained back, you are still in a much better place than before and I’m sure you’ll manage to get to target, with a bit of focus and determination. Will look forward to reading of you progress and celebrating pounds discarded.

• posted by lauraknits
    on

Thanks SunnyB. I’m very motivated today and hoping this continues.

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Hello Budgie! WELL DONE on resisting temptation! Be justly proud of that effort which is indeed HUGE!!! And the more you do that the less it will happen . . somehow the body just accepts that you are not going to oblige in its fantasy 🙂 May I suggest/share what I do for such emergencies . . .? I carry a very small protein bar . . . I mean a small mini snack size one. I carefully checked its credentials on the miniscule info Panel before buying the stockpile . . . and one of these is crumpled and flat on the bottom of my handbag. But it is there if need be 🙂 Alongside is a tiny recycled tub which once held stuffed mini bell peppers in oil. It now housed a few pecans, almonds and walnuts inside. Thats Duckie’s emergency rations if Ive been unexpectedly delayed anywhere . . . and its kinda like a mini smorgasbord if required 🙂 Maybe that hint can be utilised? But again I ADMIRE your resistance so much! Quack! Quack!

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

My guests (family) are very easy; take themselves off for a walk/shopping so I can get on with “work”….I just wanted to see if Owl was maybe looking – hope the veggie curry was good (with the bonus chicken). Please do let us know how you both get on. We have budgie, duckie and turkey so another feathered participant would be good! And hope the little seedlings you said you were potting up are thriving. And M too. It can be frustrating when what we say is not understood the way we intend it and things can go a bit ballistic in the best appointed households. But after the storm comes the sun! So let’s all pour (healthy olive) oil on troubled waters!

• posted by Kafin13
    on

Morning everyone,
    Surprisingly I dropped 1.2lbs this morning after upping my water to 3L and upping my carbs. Still under 50g but around 45g. Oh and I cheated with cheese and avocado at 11pm when I couldn’t sleep and my tummy was growling. Not sure if it was the water or maybe my body needs more carbs at the moment since I’m not producing enough serotonin and it figured it out for itself! Will experiment with this again today and see what happens

• posted by Skinnytish
    on

Hi everyone, Well done Budgie for avoiding the rubbish food, and Kafin for your discard.
    I’ve hit a bit of a plateau so am just closing my eyes till it passes, which it will. So it’s lovely to read how well everyone else is doing. I’ve been reading some of the old threads from flick and theodora on their fasting successes . I think I’m going to give a 24 hr fast a try to see if it will help me along. Any experienced BSDers have any advice.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Kafin, our bodies are always full of surprises, aren’t they? There was a gentleman who was here probably 2 years ago,
    and he discovered that the way out of a plateau for him was to eat porridge and all the carbs that came with it, and
    scales began moving for him! Keeping a diary with notes and observations on a particularly good week allows us
    to recreate it when we would like to do so. I always refer to this which we are all committed to as an adventure, with
    twists and turns along the way. It is reassuring that we all find our way to a place where we are in charge of our
    bodies, and when it ceases to be the other way around! It is true liberation, and sustainable for as long as we want it to be.

I hope your appt. goes well tomorrow! Figuring out insurance networks must be difficult, when you’re from NZ. I’ll
    be thinking about you with fingers and toes crossed! Finding the right therapist for you can be life changing. How
    long have you been in LA? Psychopharmacologists can work miracles for those with chemical imbalances, and I so
    hope that that is one of your treatment options. Standing by your side 🙂

Allie

• posted by Kafin13
    on

You are lovely, Allie! Yes, our bodies are surprising and generally quite efficient when we give them the right stuff. Just takes time to figure it out and maybe when I hit another plateau, dropping carbs again will work. I’ve actually been in the states for 16 years (was born in Hawaii to an American father and kiwi mother and we moved back to NZ when I was 2) and LA for 6. So I’m used to the way the system works here but I loathe it and wish it would change. I do have a wonderful therapist based in Australia as it’s cheaper than getting one here but need a psychiatrist to prescribe the right meds for me since my GP is just guessing. So fingers crossed, he is knowledgeable and has dealt with people who have medical allergies! Will keep you posted

• posted by Skipping through the tulips
    on

Hi Kanfin, I’m thinking about you this morning and sending positive vibes for you psych visit today. X

• posted by Skinnytish
    on

Hi kafin
    Also sending positive thoughts for you appointment today. 🤗

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Sending positive vibes your way today kafin – hope the appointment goes well and is the start of your path to regaining mental wellbeing.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Sending positive vibes your way today kafin – hope the appointment goes well and is the start of your path to regaining mental wellbeing.

• posted by Ria-tor
    on

Hi

Hope your appointment goes well kafin13

I’m late checking in this week. It’s week 4 and I’m absolutely exhausted. I’ve not bothered filling in my food app or planning my meals, just no energy. I had a dizzy spell yesterday whilst I was out and had to abandon grocery shopping, so goodness knows what I’ll have for dinner tonight as there is nothing in suitable for the plan.
    Today I felt so hungry mid afternoon I was nauseous and I had to have a snack. The first time since I started this woe I’ve been hungry between lunch and dinner. I had 3 pilli nuts, which were cocoa dipped, walnuts would probably have been a better choice but they weren’t cocoa covered.

Take care all
    Toria

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Sorry you’re struggling Tori’s. I vaguely remember being in a similar situation midway through my first eight weeks. Wish I could offer real words of wisdom, but can’t quite remember how I dealt with it at the time and I know nothing about how you have been approach your daily meals. Have you been eating three meals a day, two, extending overnight fasts etc? However, I’m wondering if it’s worth trying eating small portions often for a couple of days and maybe reviewing your carb and salt levels. It might be you need just a little more of both.
    If you can share you eating patterns, I’m sure we can offer some more constructive thoughts and suggestions.
    Do you best with what you have in the house today and hope you will soon be feeling better.

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

Hi Toria. Are you drinking enough water? And making sure your salt intake is right? If you don’t like in food, I think some people just dip their finger in a pot (of “proper” salt) and lick it off! But it is important to keep that regulated. And obviously if you have blood sugar issues then you need to take extra care. I don’t think we have heard for a bit from Cleverblonde, KerryP or Amz? And Shellbob!

• posted by Shellbob44
    on

Good luck today Kafin, been thinking about you.
    Its been a tough few days, things pretty bad with my son still and my arthritis has had a massive flare up. Despite this I did lose just under 2kgs last week thanks to my first whoosh. Things have slowed again now. To be honest I’m feeling pretty flat, also much hungrier Than I have been since I started, odd for 7 weeks in but probably linked to the steroid injection or how miserable things are.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi everyone
    So glad to see the thread is flourshing. I needed some time for reflection yesterday but I will catch up and reply to everyone’s posts very soon.

Thanks Allie, SunnyB and sixturkeys for your continued warmth and support to those struggling or facing major challenges. My heart goes out to you…Kafin,Shellbob, Toria and any one else who is feeling a bit low.

I am worried that Amz hasn’t checked in. Hoping all is well…..

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi Skinnytish
    I am not sure I can give advice as fasting does not suit everyone but one thing I would say is give it a go and see how you respond. I am happy to tell you about my experience. I assume it would not be advisable for diabetics without medical supervision ?

I started off with 24h but you can build up to that if you find it’s too long in the first instance. 24 hours for me means fasting from evening meal to the same time the next day. I honestly believe it’s a question of mind over matter. Hunger is nothing to fear. It doesn’t last, it’s manageable. Nothing terrible will happen if you don’t eat. I really appreciate a delicious meal after a fasting period. I never used to know what feeling hungry was like as I basically scoffed all day !
    I am busy throughout the day and there is no food available but I really don’t think about it. It’s not so easy being at home with almonds and dark choc beckoning me (!) and a weekend fast would be tough for me.

So I do 24h, occasionally 36h and today I completed 65h ( I last ate on Sunday evening and broke the fast today,Wednesday at Ipm and I honestly wasn’t suffering from hunger which definitely lessens as you proceed with a fast.
    I am lucky in that I don’t ever feel shaky, wobbly , faint or suffer any other adverse effects.
    I only drink green tea, black coffee or water to which I add some Himalayan salt. Not very sexy but be aware of constipation issues which can occur if you don’t drink enough.

My inspiration was Jason Fung’s Complete Guide to Fasting which you have probably heard of.

Give it a go, Skinnytish and let us know how you get on. There are other fasters on the forum who could talk about their experience too. Wishing you all the best xx

• posted by TheBudgie
    on

Afternoon,
    I was wondering if anyone had any advice on unsweetened almond milk I saw mentioned yesterday, I’m trying to think of ways to kick my sweetener habit and if this is easier and more viable plus I miss my porridge so much, and was hoping I could adapt it to the recipe.

Thanks
    \|/ \|/

• posted by Custardcrumble
    on

Hi All,
    Half way through week 6 and have been on a plateau for nearly the last 3 weeks. Been analysing (gotta love Excel) and my calories, carbs and protein are all under where they should be for my target weight (currently trying 50g limit for carbs) when averaged over the last 5.5 weeks. Body fat has been coming down fairly consistently and Mrs CC thinks I’m changing shape (though the tape measure has also plateaued for me).
    I’m desperately hoping for the fabled whoosh effect – anyone have an idea of when it might arrive?! Or do I need to drop the carbs further? If so, what are your recommendations for lower carb meals? I’ve already cut a lot of fruit out of my diet and don’t touch root veg or any of the obvious carbs. Nuts are limited to 10g max (preferably macadamia or almonds). I’m struggling to come up with ideas suitable for a pescatarian wife and something that keeps me feeling sated.
    Grateful for any and all advice – I’m determined not to give up but feeling a little disheartened today.
    TIA
    CC

• posted by alliecat
    on

Happy Wednesday, all! I adore your “tracks”, Budgie! How very clever of you 🙂 I hope Duckie sees them!
    Re unsweetened almond milk…Just use it the same way you would use cow’s milk. My husband has never
    agreed to give up his morning cereal, but easily adapted to the substitution. When I began this WOE, I started using
    almond milk in my morning mugs of coffee. What happened over time though, is that my taste for sweetness changed
    so dramatically that now I find it too sweet! Please let us know how this works for you. In the U.S., unsweetened
    almond milk can be found in the refrigerated section of the market, near the milk. Low calorie and low carb, too!
    It also will keep for weeks, unlike regular milk. No waste!

Okay Wendy…65 hrs??? I’m quite certain that that is record here! It really must be a case of mind over matter,
    as you suggest. You know that thus far I have a problem over 22 hrs. I can tolerate the growling stomach, but
    I can’t cope at all with the nausea. You may not see yourself as an authority, but I certainly do! The health benefits
    of an extended fast once a month are profound, so my hat is definitely off to you! Do you feel the same sense of
    euphoria that Esnecca reported? That has a certain appeal, I must admit 🙂

Shellbob, dealing with chronic pain as well as the emotional challenges that are a part of trying to help your son
    must be enormous. I have a nephew, now aged 39, who is bipolar. His depression is palpable, as well as his
    general unhappiness. It is crushing to be unable to do anything to make a difference. I think that there is a lot
    in the “pipeline” with respect to surgical intervention, but that is still a long way off, I’m afraid. How old is your son?
    Taking good care of your own health may be the best way to help at the moment, and you are certainly doing that.
    Please take care. You and Kafin are in our hearts!

Allie

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

I was very confused just now by the ref to Budgie’s “tracks” and to Duckie seeing them – my first thought was that Budgie had made some suggestions for Monday pom pom session backing tunes…..
    I am also sorry to hear Shellbob that things are tough. Again just know that we are all thinking of you. I am mentally sending you a virtual finest cashmere blanket delicately scented with the most calming and indulgent perfume to wrap round your aches and pains.
    And Wendleg; I hope your fast did not affect your spirits yesterday (or – shock horror! – a mislaid earring!)
    Mr CC hang on in there – upping water intake seems to have worked wonders for some!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

\!/ \!/ Budgie – In the UK you will find unsweetened almond milk in both the refrigerated section and on the shelf with the long life milks and the later is cheaper, despite being exactly the same product.
    C/Crumble – if things don’t start moving again soon, I suggest dropping your carb intake a little and checking you are keeping well hydrated which is essential – if in doubt, have an extra glass of water. Although, if your body shape is changing, there is probably something going on. I’ve personally never been visited by the whoosh fairy, but lots of others have been and you might well get lucky on that front too. As for the fish, I’d have thought any fatty fish should meet the criteria as this will be more sating for you. I’m thinking maybe herring with an almond and herb crust?
    wendleg – a 65hrs fasting is a huge achievement and quite puts my efforts to shame. You obviously have amazing discipline.
    Shellbob – you have a lot on your plate right now, so be kind to yourself. Well done on the 2kg discard – that’s a real achievement especially given everything you are coping with at the moment. I’m sure it would be so much easier for you to say to hell with the BSD right now, but you’re still pressing ahead, which is commendable. Hope that in time, this WOE might reap some benefits on the arthritis front for you.
    Allie – how’s it all going for you? I’m not making headway on the wriggle room front – bit annoyed with myself, as I seem to be lacking focus right now – will get there though.

• posted by Shellbob44
    on

Hi Allie, my son is 18. He has completely shut us out at the moment so we are just having to go with that (despite my broken heart).
    As Sunshine says I’m keeping on keeping on!

On a more practical note I’m still having bad fasting BG in the morning. I’ve tested overnight and at bed its usually 5.2ish then drops into the 4s by 2am but by 6am its in the mid to high 6s sometimes 7s. I was wondering if anyone knew of an App where I could compare carbs with BG easily. I’m using fatsecret to log weight and food/carbs but there is no option for BG. I had a quick look this morning but most are linked to specific BG machines. If anyone knows of one where i can just type in my bg with carbs rather than having to type everything i eat into both apps.
    If not I will have to resort to excel and do it in chunks.

Just a note to custardcrumle my plateau shifted by upping my water intake, I then had my first whoosh. I too hadn’t moved in inches or grams but then overnight….Whoooosh!

Love to you all, Shell xx

• posted by wendleg
    on

Sixturkeys you are very cheeky 😉 😉 A mislaid earring would have caused a major melt down 😉
    I once went into school having forgotten to choose my coordinating earrings and I felt naked all day !!!!!!!!!!!!

• posted by wendleg
    on

I really feel for our brave Kafin and Shellbob. You are amazing women. Shellbob is your son able to talk to friends etc outside the family ? I know that when dealing with teenagers ( 13/14 year olds in my experience) it is common to reject the family . A lot of anger issues make family members an easy target. I am sure you know it is important to keep the communication channels open . Are there any empathetic teachers you can call on ? Your broken heart will mend …your son knows you are there for him despite his apparent rejection. He will be back. Stay strong brave lady. We are here to support you.
    Kafin we are rooting for you too and admire your determination.
    Good to see you back CC. Keep up the water intake . Remember it’s not all about the numbers on the scales. Maybe have a look at this video /transcript to see if it provides any pointers ?
    https://www.dietdoctor.com/how-to-break-weight-loss-plateau
    https://www.dietdoctor.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/4.-Eric-Westman-plateau.pdf

• posted by wendleg
    on

Toria, you have discarded 10.5 lbs so you are doing brilliantly. You say that in the past you would have quit by now so hats off to you. I have no experience of your symptoms but my instinct is also to suggest checking hydration and salt levels. As Sunny says , maybe you could share your meal plans and we could maybe suggest a few tweaks ? I really hope you feel better soon and please don’t give up . Sending you a big hug xx

Please log in or register to post a reply.