ONE WEEK AT A TIME beginning March 19th 2019

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

Mr CC, personally I am always worried with bones in herrings….my go to recently is salmon, oven cooked in foil parcel (no added oil), near end of cooking, spoon over some fresh pesto sauce, leave foil open and finish cooking. Delicious with some simple steamed green veg.

• posted by alliecat
    on

This sounds wonderful, sixturkeys! I have a parcel of fresh chermoula sauce in the freezer, and I think I will use this
    same technique with fresh halibut. Thanks!

• posted by Custardcrumble
    on

Thanks for lifting my mood everyone.
    ShellBob, SunnyB, SixTurkeys & Wendleg, thanks for the advice on water. My water intake has definitely reduced of late – have actively upped my intake today.
    Wendleg, thanks for the videos – food for thought. Pretty sure I’m tracking correctly but will be doubly precise tomorrow!
    SixTurkeys, thanks for the food ideas. We’re eating a *lot* of fish of late! Am wondering if there’s something out there with less protein and more fat within carb/kcal limits. Am thinking of upping my fat intake with cheese alongside my leafy veg…
    Fingers crossed for a change soon and I’ll be back to the positive vibes again.
    Speaking of which, the lovely wife hit 1 stone discard today, so it’s not all bad in the custard household!
    CC

• posted by wendleg
    on

Well done Mrs Custard ๐Ÿ˜‰

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

Ah CC, I see, fish overload. I also did something v tasty recently with brussel sprouts (a whole new ball game when roasted but which do have protein – which surprised me!), bit of bacon (which could be omitted) and gooey cheese. It is on the Cafรฉ Delites website low carb recipe section. Which has lots of other tasty sounding recipes. Well done to Mrs CC!

• posted by Shellbob44
    on

Thanks Wendleg, my son has a great group of friends thankfully. Just hope time and space help. Xxx

• posted by Kafin13
    on

Thank you everyone for your kind thoughts and remembering about today. Iโ€™ve been given new meds so hopefully no side effects, they usually take about four weeks to fully kick in so just keeping going while I wait. Thinking of you, Shellbob – hang in there. Xxxx

• posted by Custardcrumble
    on

SixTurkeys – I *love* sprouts (and bacon!) definitely trying that one !
    Thanks All ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

CC, hope you enjoy (and not having a cast iron thingy, I did the first stage in a frying pan, then decanted into an oven proof dish).
    Shellbob, you mentioned that your son is looking at uni/college courses, that is a big step and worrying to launch oneself into the big wide world, away from comfort zone. And he may be worrying about you, his father and his sister, if he goes off to study, and it is just “easier” to block all that out. It is a different challenge, but my daughter, a few years ago, developed an eating disorder. She is now so much better, but it is so painful as a parent to just not seem to get through and be rebuffed. I do think just being there, saying “I love you”, whether that is welcomed or not, does ultimately help – but I do not underestimate what it costs us as parents in the meantime. xx

• posted by Patricia1066
    on

Shellbob, wishing your son better in the near future, keep on looking after yourself as well. I am thinking of you.
    You asked for Recommendations on an app, I’m using Sugar Diary on Android, MelStudio. I have no connection with the app other than that I purchased the app.

I log blood sugar levels under bsl mmol/L (and USA standards can be used too), and carbs on the bread unit measurement. One bread unit is equivalent to 10g carbs, but I ignore that and simply input carbs by the gram.
    If you have hba1c tests you can record these, and your blood pressure.
    Weight is measured also.
    There is a free text area for notes which is great to put down what I ate, and the time.
    I like the way you can create tags so that you can identify peaks and fasting blood sugar easily.
    There are lots of well designed icons in the app.
    To export to PDF and Excel is easy, no DRM restriction.
    On the app you can chart your data by date and tag. You can edit the date so it doesn’t matter if you forgot to input a value.
    It costs ยฃ2 or so.
    I use fatsecret as well, as it analyses the food composition but I really like Sugar Diary, for me it’s the Swiss knife of apps.

• posted by Ria-tor
    on

Hi

Shellbob44 sorry you are having tough time. I use yazio app after trying loads I liked that one best, you can input your blood glucose numbers under body measurements but I think itโ€™s more for tracking your calories carbs etc and inputting your food. Sorry that was no help whatsoever!

Thanks SunnyB, Sixturkeys and Wedleg, much appreciated. Now itโ€™s been mentioned Iโ€™m thinking Ive not had enough salt during week 3 and now week 4. We donโ€™t cook with it or add it to food at the table, Iโ€™m pretty certain we donโ€™t even have any in the house.

I donโ€™t have blood sugar issues, Iโ€™m quite overweight and have a fatty liver.

Currently Iโ€™m eating 3 meals a day though if Iโ€™m not hungry enough for dinner I wonโ€™t eat. I mostly have my main meal at lunch except on Saturday. Iโ€™ve been managing a 12-14 hour fast.

Week 1 I followed the book plan 98% ( am gluten intolerant so had to sub a couple of things)
    Week 2 I continued trying recipes from the book and added in my own but didnโ€™t follow meal plan as it just wasnโ€™t convenient.

From week 3 onwards Iโ€™ve been making my own meal plans/ winging it and eating the following sort of things:

Breakfast.
    Halfway through week three I couldnโ€™t face eggs for breakfast anymore so Iโ€™m now eating 100g Greek yoghurt, 30g raspberries or blueberries and about 5g chia seeds and 1 walnut or Brazil nut. I also have coffee with a little dribble of cream. Once a week I have around 15-20 grams of oats with my breakfast and reduce the amount of yoghurt.

Lunch.
    chicken or grilled prawns with green veg or salad and sometimes roasted veg. The chicken lentil curry from the book sometimes. Once a week Iโ€™ll have the veg rogan josh or Dahl from the book, Sunday I have roast chicken, beef or lamb with green veg.

At 4pm which used to be my snack time ( going back 10 years when I had a job lol) I still have the urge for something so I have a green tea or black tea.

Dinner is egg based or tuna from a tin or humous from the book or occasionally Iโ€™ll have marks n sparks thin ham slices and a bit of cheddar cheese , all with salad. I say salad but itโ€™s mostly lettuce or cucumber ribbons. Saturday I have a m & s Angus or skinny burger with cheese wrapped in lettuce and homemade tomato salsa, sometimes with mushrooms instead of the chips I used to have.

My fat comes from coconut milk in the curries from the book and avocado, seeds and nuts ( unsalted and not roasted ) that Iโ€™ll add to my meals if I think I need more fats.

I drink water through the day and quite a bit in the evening (instead of the g&t or vodka soda I used to have). Its adding upto around 2 litres not including coffee and tea. I am waking up thirsty though so maybe I should increase further.

I keep carbs around 30g and under 50g on the days I have the veg curry or Dahl and hummus from the book.

Iโ€™m definitely thinking itโ€™s salt now, week 1 I had salty bacon in the breakfast muffins, salty sausages for Sunday lunch and miso and tamari ( instead of soy sauce ) in the recipes and thereโ€™s none of that in my current meal plan so Iโ€™ll need to remember to include it from now on.

Take care all
    Toria

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Still here, weight back down to Tuesdays weigh in weight. Reduced insulin to 23 units and BG was up a bit yesterday to 6.9 (125) which is just on acceptable. I held my nerve and today it was 6.4 (116). Slowly, slowly.

Was it allie discussing the almond milk. I was back in the supermarket and picked up my usual brand. Although it doesn’t say sweetened it contained per 100ml – 49 cals and 5.8g carbs. As 100ml is half a portion then it is 100 cals and around 12g carbs which I thought a bit high to have in just one meal (breakfast shake). Plus I have to calculate for the fruits (raspberries or blueberries) and maybe a few seeds. I put it back on the shelf and decided to look at the Alpro brand on the cold counter and that is 13 cals and 0 carbs. Yeh, only thing is I buy the other because it comes in 3 single portion (200ml) cartons and the Alpro only came in the 1ltr carton. Okay until November 2019 but once open I will have to use it fairly quickly – not a problem at those low calories. So I bought a big pack of spinach and will be having smoothies for breakfast for the next few days. We live and learn.

Have a good rest of week.

• posted by alliecat
    on

I’m delighted that the almond milk info was helpful, sunshine, and you found it on the shelves. After close to 3 years,
    I’m still learning, too!

• posted by Shellbob44
    on

Thanks for all the app suggestions and all of your kind thoughts. It really is appreciated.
    Glad you have found a medication that may help Kafin xx
    I’ve spent most of the afternoon watching Dr Bikman lectures about insulin resistance….very informative. From these I’ve decided my protein is a little low so am going to try and correct that. Also as I am so frazzled with everything else I am going to allow myself a couple of hundred extra calories if required (but stay below 50g carbs still) just for a couple of weeks. We are taking Katy away for 5 days, without carers on the 1st April, this is always exhausting (but lovely to be just family) and I think it will make it easier to manage as I won’t have much planning time. Do you experienced BSDers think this will lead to disaster? My weight is still popping off at a pleasing rate now its moving again I don’t want to damage that too much!!

• posted by Artful Owl
    on

Hi sixturkeys, thanks for your concerns, yes I’m still here, quietly watching from the sidelines! The veggie curry ( with added chicken!) was delish thank you, OH loved it, so that’s one to try again. It’s great to be sharing the WOE with him, he’s really thrown himself into it and has even signed up to myfitnesspal to track his micros. His one concern is how his bowel will react to everything as he had major surgery 5 years ago and had a lot taken away, he always struggles with a change of routine so I’m keeping my fingers crossed that it goes smoothly for him( in more ways than one!!).

• posted by alliecat
    on

Artful Owl, I hope you and your husband are really enjoying doing this together! Every medical problem is different of
    course, but my O/H had a section of his colon removed also, in the treat for colon cancer. He had no adverse reactions
    from the way of life, and I hope yours will adapt well, too!

Shellbob, being able to take Katy out of her usual environment will be a wonderful for her, even though it will probably
    make extra physical demands on you. Five days is but a short period, and I think that you will be fine with the diet.
    Just concentrate on keeping your carbs low, and get right back to the Fast800 when you return. Any small gain can
    quickly be addressed then. Keep your hydration up, and you should be able to address any blips then. Memories
    are sometimes more important, so try not to stress, and enjoy your time together! You are one strong lady, and
    our thoughts are with you! xxx

Allie

• posted by Artful Owl
    on

Alliecat , thank you for your reassurance. My OH has had all of his rectum removed because of a huge non malignant tumor, so he has no “storage facilty”, it does make life trying for him at times. I’m hoping this might just make a difference for the better, fingers crossed. He has discovered tonight that he quite likes courgettes tossed in dried garlic powder and roasted….. I’d never have believed it!

• posted by alliecat
    on

We CAN teach our “old dogs new tricks” Artful Owl! Sometimes I don’t think they really know what they like ๐Ÿ™‚ All we can
    do is present it like it’s a new and exciting vegetable that they’ve been missing out on all these years! Cauliflower chunks
    tossed with some olive oil and then roasted at a high temperature is a staple in our house…Since you did so well with the
    courgette, think about slipping this onto his plate, too! To be serious for a moment, when we get the carbs out, there is
    less waste to dispose of, and I sincerely hope that this will be advantageous for your husband’s condition, too, with less
    storage area. This must be a real challenge to manage. Let us know how this is working for both of you! This thread
    restarts every tuesday, so I hope you will continue on with us ๐Ÿ™‚

Allie

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi everyone
    I am weary after late meetings so this is just a quick check in and I will catch up with you all tomorrow.
    I am still concerned that Amz hasn’t posted this week . Amz …we sincerely hope all is well with you xx

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

Owl it is good to see you back! I mentioned sprouts which also resonated with Mr CC and maybe your O/H would like those too – so different when they are roasted. And can taste so different if au naturel or maybe some ground cumin. I also hope to see M back again and to hear from those who have been on radio silence recently. It does really help me and I am sure others to read about as many different experiences as possible, and to show what a broad bunch we are! Toria, lots more water and no salt at all for several days might well explain things; hope that turns out to be an easy fix for you. Shellbob, in “real life” I am a Katy too – but will keep my nom de plume (get it?!) on here!

• posted by Shellbob44
    on

It sounds like you’ve had to be a pretty tough lady at times too Allie! Xxxxx

• posted by alliecat
    on

Yes Wendy! I’m concerned about Amz, too! Please check in, Amz! You know that our friendly band passes no
    judgement here, so come back to us when you are able..We miss you ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Shellbob44
    on

Oooo We don’t often find many other Katy’s with a Y, its an exclusive club sixturkeys ๐Ÿ’—

• posted by Artful Owl
    on

Alliecat, thanks for the tip with cauliflower, he does love it so might just roast it pop it on his plate and see what he says!
    Hello sixturkeys, If he does have sprouts he’ll have to cook his own ! It is the only veg I can’t stand! However finding them would be our challenge as we live in France, the only time I see them in the shops is just before Christmas to keep the expats happy! I admire their way though, having food available all year round when it isn’t in season is a terrible toll on the planet. It’ll soon be asparagus time though, having them with butter used to be such a treat but now that fat is accepted we’ll be in seventh heaven .We have some in the garden and I might just plant some more this year as my mouth is watering at the thought!

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

Owl, that is very impressive to grow your own asparagus, do you have to build up a bank to plant them and use those terracotta cloches? And with poached eggs – mmm! I know that below ground is more carbiferous, but just had a quick look at turnips. The values I saw referenced “fiber” – ie US spelling, so don’t know accurate carb counts. I do love the little baby ones….I also love lambs lettuce, I think in France that is mache? It’s funny how different things are across the Channel, we love swede here and the French feed it to cows….Roasted cauli is great – and also to ring changes, bit of olive oil with turmeric and ground cumin (and salt), coat florets, bung into roasting pan and voila!

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Hi ShellBob! Im no expert on such things but as a suggested reason, one of the learned friends here has mentioned the Dawn Phenomenon . . . its when the body issue a flush of (Glucose or the equivalent . . .?) first thing before us waking to get us on track etc., for the day. Perhaps that could be the reason for the rise in the reading between 2am and 6am . . .? Also . . is it necessary for you to do so many checks on the BS’s? My endo has told me such can add to stress as we prepare for and await the readings . . . the anticipation can heighten them . . . and Ive been advised (this is personal advice for myself that is) – not to be concerned at the minor fluctuations Id presented to him at my last appointment . . . as my readings are sufficiently stable now – and the HbA1c showed reduction and stability also ๐Ÿ™‚ Hope this helps and continued successes and discoveries on your journey ๐Ÿ™‚ Quack! Quack! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Hey there Shellbob! Feeling your angst and pain . . . anxiety plays havoc with arthritis . . . and Im wondering if you are not already familiar with nor tried . . . would Epsom Salts footbath (or body bath) – curcumin/tumeric and/or fish oil capsules assist in calming things down at all on that front . . .? Just some suggestion as any diminishing of the discomfort Im sure would be most welcome ๐Ÿ™‚ Thinking of you as you traverse this unpaved disturbing section of your journey. A bunch of vibrant cornflowers are mentally being delivered with this post ๐Ÿ™‚ Quack! Quack!

• posted by lauraknits
    on

I only re-started on Monday however I have decided that Friday is a better weigh in day for me as it will keep me motivated for the weekend. I have discarded 4.75 lb in 4 days and I am happy with this as it is 17% of what I want to discard in total and that feels like a good start.
    Today is a bit more challenging as both my colleagues are on holiday so I am alone in my office with the biscuit tin, so I have put it in a drawer. Out of sight out of mind!
    I love the sound of the roasted sprouts and cauliflower so hope to give these a try this weekend.
    Happy Friday all
    x

• posted by Artful Owl
    on

sixturkeys, Gosh this is a steep learning curve…I foolishly thought that as MM had asparagus and eggs as one of his recipes for breakfast in the Fast800 book it would be ok, why doesn’t he list carbs too. You’re correct, asparagus is very carb heavy. Ah well, back to it as a luxury! They’re easy to grow , we live on a hillside and our soil is poor , we just made a slightly raised bed for them and off they go! you’re not supposed to pick them for 3 years to give the plants time to mature so there’s lots of forward planning involved. I grow celeriac too, that needs some tlc though as it needs gallons of water in our dry climate. The French also don’t eat parsnips, they’re considered cattle feed too!
    Alliecat, my “old dog” is learning fast! I told him this morning how proud I was of him as he’s lost 2lb and is keen to stick to this WOE. I said that he was doing the WOE with gusto….his reply, “I’m not sure about that dear, how many carbs are there in gusto”!!

• posted by Verano
    on

Artful Owl I adore asparagus and when I read your post I though Iโ€™d better check the carbs but there are only 3.88 g of carbs in 100g. I work on on 30 to 40g a day so they fit well into my plan.
    You are right though it is a steep learning curve but worth it in the end.

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

Hello all. Owl, re carbs I was musing about turnips – not asparagus, which I love (at the moment we can only get imported ones, so there is the food miles issue – looking forward to the season here. I only get strawberries in season so some discipline there! And there will be more discipline this summer re quantities!) So enjoy them with eggs – Budgie, another poster, went seemingly overnight from pizza to boiled eggs and asparagus “soldiers” for dipping! What is on the shopping list for tomorrow Budgie? And have you switched to almond milk/vanilla. I only drink black coffee so never have milk in the house. I love the “how many carbs in gusto”!

• posted by Skinnytish
    on

Hi wendleg.
    Thank you for your reply. I’ve done a 24hr fast and it has got the weight moving off again. I discarded 0.6kg. I wasnt hungry at all. I enjoyed it so much I have done another 24hr fast. Yesterday was lunch to lunch and today dinner to dinner. I definitely find lunch to easier for me. I am loving the flat tummy feeling it gives me. I think I will add this to my weekly routine. I’m actualy excited for weigh in day now. ๐Ÿ˜Š

• posted by Shellbob44
    on

Hi WoodDuckie, I’m pretty sure its all dawn phenomenon as my sugars are fine the rest of the time. Don’t worry I’m not over testing generally, I’m Just gathering scientific data in bursts ๐Ÿ˜‰ just to find out how my body reacts to certain things. I don’t generally check at all. Plus ultimately its all down to the Hba1c. I am very interested in the biology involved and cause and effect, so I’m using myself as the lab rat ๐Ÿ€
    You’ve also reminded me I have some turmeric capsules in the cupboard somewhere….I stopped taking them as they are the size of a ocean going submarine ๐Ÿ˜ฎ I’ll give them another go.
    Hope everyone else is doing OK xxxx

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Hi ShellBob – funnily enough I spent yesterday afternoon watching Dr Bikman’s stuff. I watched his interview on the Biohackers Lab on the best diet for insulin resistance. He’s great on that, so enthusiastic and clear. xx

• posted by Barbara k
    on

Weigh in after week 4, lost 3 3/4 lbs so feeling very happy. Had a slip day Monday but didnโ€™t let it upset the whole week like normally happens.
    Just had one of Michael smoothie recipes for lunch, spiced mango smoothie, delicious.
    Had a funny episode on Sunday so went to the doctors, saw the advanced practitioner who asked if I was eating and drinking ok. I said I was trying to lose weight and drinking more water around 2 l a day. She did no more than interpret that as excessive drinking and hey ho I had a blood test this morning. Even though I tried explaining I was deliberately drinking more water and actually finding it difficult to drink. Still, blood tests for diabetes have been done. Up side is I will have some results to let me know exactly how my levels are.
    Have a good week everyone

• posted by Barbara k
    on

Should have said total weight lose in 4 weeks is now 1st 4 lbs

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

Wow Barbara! It is interesting that the nurse seems to have just assumed you had excessive thirst rather than just making a conscious effort to drink more water but as you say, seeing results of blood test might be interesting and a benchmark for the future. But hope the “funny episode” was an isolated event.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Those are good solid results, Barbara! Congratulations ๐Ÿ™‚ You must be doing everything right!!! Let us know when you
    get your lab results, too. We like to celebrate!

Six turkeys, I spotted 5 wild turkeys along the edge of the woods today! Were you looking for me?

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi all, another good day yesterday. Weight down a smidge but BG has gone down again to 5.8. Only difficulty is that it is hubbys birthday on Saturday and I have booked a very exclusive restaurant. Good side is that decent restaurants in France dont usually serve carbs except for bread on the table which I can resist. Just the desert then. I have checked out the menu and provisionally ordered quail with spring vegetables and chorizo mousse for starter – then roasted rack of lamb with moussaka revisited ??? and rosemary jus and I might allow myself the green tea brulee with olive oil popcorn and yoghurt ice cream – I only allow myself a taste and let hubby finish it off. Or I might have the cheese board.

Noticed that someone mention the Dawn thingy. I was going to mention it but I get a bit fed up of talking about it. Glad someone did though, just because I am a bit blaise, truth is I can never remember how to spell it Phenonnomen – see, useless.

For Shellbob – on the subject of taking turmeric capsules. Here is some useful information I picked up on the Superfoods course I have just done.
    “Many foods that contain the good things we know that make up superfoods like antioxidants or anti-inflammatory benefits or flavonoids may not be the same as we get when we decide to take them as supplements due to difficulty of access, distance to transport or cost. A few examples, curcumin found in turmeric has both antioxidant and anti-inflammatory benefits but taking it in capsule form the curcumin is mainly badly absorbed and quickly excreted. However, it is interesting to note if it is taken with piperine โ€“ a micronutrient found in black pepper, the two combined are effective.”

Have a good weekend and keep on keeping on…

• posted by Shellbob44
    on

How weird Jennie10 that’s exactly what I watched. I thought it was very clear and informative xx

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

I have just been doing what I will henceforth refer to as “doing a Duckie”, ie sorting out and re-arranging a kitchen cupboard. I came across a tin of “solid pack 100% natural pumpkin” which was an excess one from when I made pumpkin pie some time ago. It is a 425g tin, and as per panel, 100g has 40 cals and 7.4g carbs. Other than pumpkin pie (which would not be an option…), any suggestions how to use? I wonder whether a portion just with some roast chicken with mixed herbs, with the juice from pan? Or as base for soup? I don’t know how naturally sweet it is.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Bonjour Owl ๐Ÿ˜‰ Good to see you on here and that you are posting from France . There are a few of us on here …sunshine girl, skippingthroughthetulips and myself. I live in the South West ,in the Toulouse/Montauban region. I have been in France since 1990. Where is your lovely hillside ?
    I have been slowly catching up on the thread. Glad it’s the weekend and forecast to be sunny here, I just love the Spring !
    Have a great weekend everyone.

Amz โ€ฆ..we hope to hear from you soon xx

• posted by Artful Owl
    on

Bonjour wendleg, How lovely to hear I’m not the only one posting from France! My lovely hillside is in the Vienne(86) half way between Poitiers and Limoges, near Confolens. It’s a very quiet hillside with just a French farmer for our neighbour. We’ve lived here since 2010….gosh nine years, it’s gone quick! We’ve had beautiful sunshine here today and even had lunch outside, yes spring is the best time, beautiful flowers in the hedgerows and the summer bird visitors arriving. Seen our first Hoopoe today.
    Have a lovely weekend in the sunshine .

• posted by Esnecca
    on

wendleg, Dr. Fung’s Complete Guide is my fasting bible too. I read bits of it before bed when I’m on an extended because I find it empowering. I’m glad to read that you don’t suffer from any ill-effects either. I don’t even get those little head rushes I used to get anymore. I rather miss them, truth be told. I thought they were fun! ๐Ÿ˜€

Do you experience the day 2 euphoria/lightness of step? That phase is day 3 for me now. What kind of meals do you break your fast with? I used to opt for sumptuous filet mignon with blue cheese compound butter and broccoli rabe sauteed with garlic and olive, but nowadays I go lighter and build up to the full spread the next day.

• posted by Scottishgal
    on

So many posts and threads to keep up with on here…… interesting, informative, helpful, funny and sad. All spurring me on and keeping me busy! Well done to all those with the successes and to those who are struggling in one way or another….stay strong…… and stay on the forum.
    To those of you who haven’t tried cauliflower rice yet and are a but dubious like I was……it’s brilliant! My Friday night treat is now a chicken tikka (bought without rice) served with cauli rice. Both microwavable and perfect for a weekend treat. It really feels like I’m cheating big time but I’m not๐Ÿ˜
    I’ve not been able to discard any weight this week but I’m not letting it bother me. I’ve completed the 8 weeks, I’m now within normal bmi range, I’m concentrating on my blood sugar levels and my blood test on Wednesday and just maintaining my weight for the time being. And the other night I realised that I really can’t remember when I last had a bar of chocolate…….that’s massive for me as I was addicted to chocolate! Having said that I’ve been using sugar free sweets as a crutch but thinking I will try stopping them as they might be affecting the weight loss.
    Have a great weekend everyone x

• posted by wendleg
    on

Glad you found your way to the weekly thread Esnecca ! My fasting experience started very early on when I did 24h as a matter of course until I read it is best not to do it too regularly and to mix things up. That led me to try the extended 36h fasts and then I have just experimented with longer periods ( often corresponding to long days /late meetings when I get home late) I feel a bit cheated as I have never had the head rushes ๐Ÿ˜‰
    Yes, I definitely feel lighter and ‘bouncier’ around day 3. I can feel myself inwardly grinning as I drive to work ๐Ÿ˜‰
    I don’t go for a big blow out meal when I break my fast .Nowadays it is a few almonds and then maybe a big salad with avocado and some smoked salmon. I used to have a bit of a feasting re feed in the early days after an extended fast but I have calmed down a bit now !
    I don’t do any bone broths or heavy cream in coffee on my fast days, just green tea , black coffee and water.
    I am doing the fasts for the health benefits and I don’t seem to have any loose skin so far although I hope to drop another 10kg. I am 60 and can’t really imagine what being lower than 70kg would be like as I simply can’t remember when I was that weight.
    Did fasting help with any loose skin issues for you ? It’s an amazing tool !

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Hey there ScottishGal ๐Ÿ™‚ I am hoping you will be as excited and proud of your HbA1c as was I (almost) a couple of months ago. Wishing you all the best ๐Ÿ™‚ And to you Shellbob at the end of your personal lab tests!!!!
    March 2018 my blood tests caused earthquakes in the doc’s rooms – HbA1c = 12.9. Meds made me violently ill – did research and revision through “authorities” – and by chance through a friend mentioning cut the carbs – and the BSD book randomly found in a charity shop the VERY NEXT DAY . . .( who says coincidence isnt real. . .?) – started 8weekBSD.
    From June to (early) September (3 months) with full-on/in at the deep end BSD, my HbA1c = 6.9. ๐Ÿ™‚ Endo was speechless.
    Needing a follow-up appointment . . . he ordered new bloods for period (late) September to December (3 months). My HbA1c = 6.4. That result was in 6 months! No meds required and no follow up asked for.
    The centimetres/inches discarded (in the nine months tomorrow since my first day with DrMM BSD . . .) – are almost comparable to halving the HbA1c! Depending on the make of course . . . shirt/tops sizes have dropped from 20-22-24 – to mostly 16-18. Slacks jeans etc., were 18-20 – now comfortably fitting (mostly) 14’s. Skirts . . ? even 12’s are fitting the Duckie ๐Ÿ™‚ Iron levels were midrange for excellent comment. If I never discard another ounce Ill be more than happy with my newfound freedom and outlook, and with my 3/4 of a century celebrations just around the corner . . . I couldnt be more grateful to Dr.MM, my endo and SO MANY caring souls on this forum for my new lease on life! My resolve to keep it that way will be challenged in two weeks time when Im off on a two week cruise! Just the thought of the smorgassbord bistro awakens the resistence fighters in me because there is nothing Duckie likes better than a challenge!!! ๐Ÿ™‚ Quack! Quack!

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Hey S-G! Thank you for reminding me of the turmeric from your course! Re the pepper combo . . . I only eat that kind! so now Im wondering if this is the reason one of my friends has poohood the fact I gained relief . . . ? All that info you shared was so enlightening ๐Ÿ™‚ Also very generous of you to take the time to sit through the lectures . . . then to type and share . . . Grateful thanks! Quack Quack!

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

WTG BarbaraK! Excellent results . . . and hoping the bloods produce the same feelings of exhuberance! However . . . please remember . . . we BSDers dont lose things here – because we have no wish to FIND them again . . . ๐Ÿ™‚ We simply discard anything unwanted or unneeded sometimes even when we didnt know we had them! Please keep us posted/updated! Great work on persevering! I find the water intake SO difficult to do/keep up with ๐Ÿ™‚ Quack! Quack!

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

G’day from Downunder sixturkeys! Just looked up the canned pumpkin as I have never seen it here (although cant say Ive ever been looking either!) Seems just “pumpkin”, and that prepared for “pumpkin pie filling” have different nutritional tables. However – if mine – I would probably consider opening the can and dividing into smaller quantities and freezing. One suggestion . . .? use as a filling additive to my mini savoury quiche’s idea (with bacon, shallots and brocollini tips with grated cheese maybe – plus the egg mix poured over to consolidate ๐Ÿ™‚ ) . . . or steam as small portions to add to a (number of) hot lunches or dinner meals over a period of time . . . make a dessert – by adding some mixed spices and make MINI pumpkin pies topped with pecans. . . (in a muffin tin! same size as the savoury quiches) . . . ๐Ÿ™‚ Quack! Quack!

Please log in or register to post a reply.