ONE WEEK AT A TIME beginning July 9th 2019

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi Strongcurves. I just read your post and had to jump in. You are absolutely right. The more carbs you eat the more you will find yourself craving them. The solution then is to lower carb intake . You can do that ! Plan out your meals..make sure you include healthy fats so you are satisfied…and you will be less tempted by sugar and carbage
    I think 5.2 is best kept for when you are closer to maintenance as I sense you are struggling with the temptation right now and you may find it hard to manage the extra carbs and cals on certain days without falling into excess.
    Don’t give up ! Your health and well being are important. Give it your best shot Strongcurves. We are all here to guide you and help you along ! You will feel so good when you can see the results of your efforts xx

• posted by wendleg
    on

I knew Allie would be there for you too Strongcurves ! Xx

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Strongcurves, I remember how much of a struggle it was for me at the start as well. – I fell off the waggon big time a few times. – Its not you being weak, its a big change to what you are used to eating. Your ratios of gut bacteria will have adjusted to your high carb diet. By cutting out the carbs you are starving out the bad bacteria which cause inflammation but depend on carbs as their fuel source. Its not your imagination if it feels like a little voice is urging you to step off the waggon, the bad bacteria do have the ability to signal to your brain that you should eat carbs to allow them to survive. – You could think about the urge to eat carbs in terms of are you going to be bullied by bacteria?
    One option would be to follow the fat fast idea. – Have less than 20g of carbs a day but don’t count calories for the first week and load up with lots of healthy fats. – The idea is that if you are eating as much as you want, but are eating a high fat diet / low carb diet, you will not be hungry, so its easier to ignore the voices of the bad bacteria, and you will get into fat burning mode so its easier to switch to burning your body fat when you cut back on the calories. It means sitting down to eggs and bacon for a meal, and not holding back on butter on the low carb veg so that most of your calories come from fat.
    What was critical for me in the early days was having a strong WHY. – We all need a reason more than the reading on the scales for discarding the weight. Something that is stronger than the temptation when “friends” are waving biscuits, cake or chocolate under your nose and saying have a little. – It could be that your WHY is a sport or activity that you adore but your current weight is getting in the way, it could be a special event coming up that you want to cause jaws to drop (in a good way) as you walk into the door, it could be things you want to do with your life, places you want to see that would be difficult to achieve if carrying too much weight. – Whatever it is will be individual to you but it needs to be the WHY that contemplating not achieving brings tears to your eyes. Find your WHY and it will help give you the strength to get through the initial changes, after which it gets easier as your ratio of gut bacteria change for the better.

• posted by StrongCurves
    on

Hi Allie,
    I think it’s the restriction of carbs first and foremost. When I first attempted the Fast 800 I didn’t mind the calorie restriction after a few days. But at the moment, I feel like I’m just seeing carbs everywhere and just going for them because it’s convenient. I’ve not been in ketosis for a while now so the need to have starchy carbs is returning with a vengeance. Part of it is also emotional eating thanks to work and financial stress so sometimes find myself reaching for the sugars and starchy stuff even when my stomach is saying no!
    Now when I think about trying to get back on it, my mind just clouds and I don’t know what to do differently to increase chances of success. Also feel like my lunches especially are rather uninspired chicken and salad (constantly!).

• posted by StrongCurves
    on

Thank you Wendleg and JGwen. You are right that I am struggling with temptation right now. It is probably accurate to say the 5:2 wouldn’t be such a good idea right now.
    When I think about it, it’s annoying to think of being dictated to by bad bacteria who want me to reach for the junk! Maybe I will frame it as that every time I almost give in.
    I don’t believe I’ve quite crystallised my Why yet. At least not beyond wanting to get healthy and strong. For years I’ve obsessed with wanting a body which isn’t mine and for the first time I want to work with what I have and make my physique the best it can be. Also, I have a history of Binge Eating Disorder and by using this approach, hope to tackle my unhealthy relationship with food once and for all.

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

Hi Strongcurves – I looked back at your post just from last week I think; and you said “I also have a wedding to attend in September so all the more reason to pursue good health and get back into a dress from my lovely collection! You don’t realise how much you miss wearing nice clothes when you no longer fit into them.” Could that be your Why, at least in this initial phase? You might not end up wearing that particular dress to this particular wedding, but you can look forward to the day when you and your lovely collection will be reunited! Look at the Diet Doctor for lunch ideas – and I think you also said you started out (just very very recently) on 30-50g carbs, and discarded 5 lb? So maybe if 20g carbs seems really to low, add a few more, just the “good type”, and see how you get on, but focussing on feeling full from healthy fats as JGwen says. You mentioned too that you had enjoyed smoked salmon and salad with a Ceasar dressing, that last element might have been high in sugar so fed the shouty bacteria! You also have to deal with your past relationship with food. Can you find something to focus on when the “temptations” get strong? A photo of you in a favourite dress? Or a post which particularly resonated with you on here (maybe JGwen’s?) . My own temptation is very much focussed on red wine. Which I have avoided since last Thursday (doesn’t seem alot I know!) but even now I can feel that little wine o’clock demon whispering – just one…(as if…). So I’m thinking of CanadaLiz’s post about how we fool ourselves with reasons to have a drink! I do hope this will all come together for you very soon!

• posted by Kafin13
    on

Thanks Arcticfox – you know I had personal trainers for years and never was able to do pull-ups despite being very strong in my upper body but my trainer said that it’s actually more about technique than sheer strength and once you do it once, you get a kind of muscle memory then the number you can do becomes more about strength. I remember this in pole dancing, I struggled for so long to do some things and then all of a sudden technique kicked in and it was so much easier. That said, I don’t know how one finds the right technique but I’ll persevere!
    Don’t feel guilty, Wendy – if you actually saw how much I’m doing and what I look like doing it, I bet you’d feel a lot better! Albert isn’t helping either, likes to sit on my lap when I’m doing a wall sit and most annoyed when I collapse in agony. Also cannot fathom why he can’t sit on my tummy when I’m doing sit ups. I’m curios because you’ve mentioned fresh cream a couple of times – can you not get it in France? I know when I go to Munich for work, the office just has UHT milk but I never thought about checking the supermarkets for cream since I’m always in a hotel.
    I think you;re actually doing a lot, Patricia, especially since you’ve been injured. If and when you’re ready, feel free to join in on the exercises with Elky and I.
    Strongcurves – I’m so sorry you’re struggling. I have started this WOW three times now since March of this year so I understand how you’re feeling and how hard it can be to keep it going, especially in the early stages. You’ve already been given some great advice by others but if I could add some more 😁, when I restarted last time, I didn’t focus on the 800, just on the 20g or less of carbs. That meant I ate more cheese than I probably should but just focusing on one thing at a time allowed me to add in a new thing every week or so. And I still lost but maybe don’t focus on that but more about building up the patterns/habits first? Don’t quit, stay with us, we all want to help you 😊

• posted by StrongCurves
    on

Thank you for such a helpful reply SixT. That’s actually a good point about the sugar, might have been sabotaging myself without knowing it!
    Might not go for that particular combination in future. Dietdoctor seems to be a useful website. I’ve also had a slow cooker donated to my kitchen so wanted to look up some Keto recipes for that.
    I’ve had a troubled relationship with food to say the least. It’s also been the case in the past that people look at me and assume I’m one of the first people to get stuck into dessert or a big portion. I’m sure it’s not on purpose but makes me feel self conscious all the same.
    Yes I think that’s a tangible Why to have to begin with. At least I have numbers and dates to work with! And I’ll look back on all the supportive replies when temptation strikes.
    Thanks again 🙂

• posted by Sani
    on

I just finished reading “The 8-Week Blood Sugar Diet” and planning to start my 8 week programme on Wednesday, I am not sure if I should start 800 calories diet on daily basis or do 5:2. Anyone doing 5:2 at all? I understand Michael himself did 5:2. One more worry is my addiction for tea, I drink white tea with sweetener, is there any allowance for cups of tea or it has to be black tea ( hate black tea)! Any starting tips or advice will be greatly appreciated 😊

• posted by Kafin13
    on

Hi Sani and welcome! It’s really up to you what plan you choose and depends more on your goals. I need to lose 30lbs so it didn’t make sense for me to do 5:2 and you don’t have to stop after the initial 8 weeks on 800, lots of us have been doing it long term with no ill effects. I also drink tea and I’ll have herbal teas but what I really like is my English breakfast tea with milk. I’ve never added sugar to tea but it’s generally not recommended to use sweetners. When I started, I was using non-fat milk which I’d used for years, I’ve now switched to full-fat milk (which is delicious – I had no idea!) which has less carbs and I have cream in my coffee (also delicious – who knew!). Can’t quite do cream in tea but being so rich, that might help you drop the sweetners? Please reach out with any more questions, we have plenty of experts here (not me, but I live in LA and all the UK and Europeans are in bed so I thought I’d answer!) and people are very kind and helpful 😊

• posted by Sani
    on

Thank you so much Kafin 13, I am in UK, just about to sleep.
    You have a good day🙂

• posted by Elky
    on

Hi All, just checking in.

StrongCurves, I’m so sorry you’ve been struggling, I really hope you feel a bit more positive about it all after the comments that others posted. I personally found JGwen’s insights about gut bacteria helpful, makes me feel much less weak willed when I crave something high carb. And I’m damned if I’m going to let little microscopic bugs beat me!

Slow cookers are brilliant for this WOE, I’m sure you’ll find heaps of recipes. And it’s pretty easy to just adapt ones that you’ve probably made over the years, especially things like stews or “pulled” meats like pork. That might be a substitute in your lunch box for the chicken? Sending lots of positive thoughts your way, hon.

Hi Sani, and welcome from me too! (I’m in Australia so wide awake just now 😊 ). I agree with Kafin, I think 5:2 is probably more appropriate if you’re close to your goal weight. MM didn’t have very much to discard compared to lots of us here – me included – so we tend to stick to 800. And I actually do add cream to my tea, and like it – I don’t find it too rich, but I tend to drink fairly stewed tea so maybe that helps lol Good luck with this, you can do it!!

And hello to everyone else here, hope all’s going well. I’ve caught up with a few of you on the Egg Fast thread, but thinking of the rest of you too.

Have a grand day, Elky

• posted by alliecat
    on

Right, Elky. I must remember that it’s only 11:00am tuesday morning for you! For kafin, Cat and I, it’s still monday evening!
    Lead us forward!…Eggs prevail 🙂 🙂 🙂

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Hi Sani
    l also had tea with a little bit of milk throughout doing the Blood Sugar Diet (although no sweeteners). There’s no separate allowance so it has to be counted as part of your daily 800 calories. It does add up if you drink lots but If you use one of the online food trackers (I use fatsecret.co.uk but there are others) you can see how many calories and carbs you are using with each cup, which is helpful and means you can make sure you keep on the right side of your 800.
    I’d choose whichever you think you can stick to best. I initially tried the 5:2 but kept ‘forgetting’ to do the 2 days on lower calories. I couldn’t get into it. So, sticking to the 800 every day for me was better. You could pick one and try and if it doesn’t work switch to the other.
    Btw, I noticed from your profile that you have prediabetes. I did the daily 800 and it worked to put my diabetes in remission, as it has for others. MM used the 5:2 and that worked for him. My tip for turning round the prediabetes is to keep your carbs as low as you can.
    Best of luck with whichever you choose. Let us know how you go.

Jennie xx

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hello good people, can anyone advise if there will be a new weekly challenge starting today? Weighed in this morning following our three months in Turkey, the result of which horrified me!!! This means I need a major refocus and to drop at least 6lb before our next trip away on 19 Sept.

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

Hi SunnyB, you are not alone in needing focus! Where are you next off to? StrongCurves, hope you are feeling good this morning! I was wondering, if (like me) you are partial to creamy salad dressings, you have thought of using full fat yoghurt as a base? I have been enjoying cucumber, with a dressing of yog/bit of olive oil/mustard/sea salt and pepper; and shredded red cabbage, ditto. If you like smoked salmon, you could try yog/olive oil/bit of dill/splash of lemon juice (I use the plastic lemon shaped Jif one so no waste or rock hard dessicated fresh lemons to throw out) Or grate cucumber, drain in colander to get most of water out, then mix with yog/oil/mint for a tsatsiki side? I would quite happily dump a whole load of bottled creamy dressings on salads before, but find that in fact a little of the yog based ones goes a long way with thorough mixing up! Do let us know how you are doing when you are able to post! And all best to all.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi Sunny B. Welcome back !.Hi 6T !
    Sitting in Olbia airport..flight delayed but I will NOT go and buy Venchi choc !
    I will see if Birdy can set up the new weekly thread as it’s not easy to do on my phone !

• posted by wendleg
    on

My powers of resistance are being sorely tested 😱. I absolutely hate being late for anything…so we were at the airport 2 hours before our flight and now have the prospect of waiting here for another 2 hours as our flight hasn’t come in yet..probably hasn’t even left Toulouse ! 😭😭. My British stoicism needs to come into play but I have been in France too long and I feel irritated 😣. I had better shut up whingeing and go find another coffee …..

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

Wendleg, put a positive slant on it – at least you’re not a smoker. In fact, to pass the time, why not try a game of I Spy someone who wants a fag. They’ll be the ones eyeing up the closest wall to climb. Have a good flight back in due course!

• posted by alliecat
    on

Oh NO, Wendy! It looks like this is going to be a LOONG day! Utter merde merde merde under your breathe, and see if
    that helps! Or chat with us 🙂

• posted by wendleg
    on

Allie and 6T ..if you were in my shoes you would be delighted to know they have set up a Smoker’s Garden at Olbia Airport ! I need a meditation …keep calm and resist Venchi choc Centre 😱. I have a very chilled hubby who takes it all in his stride..and has not yet started on the beer !
    This could turn into a fasting day if we get home too late to do a Lidl shop….at least the cats have plenty of food !

• posted by wendleg
    on

I can’t even console myself buying earrings 😭😭

• posted by alliecat
    on

Are you sure, Wendy? there must be some, somewhere! After all, you’re a woman on a mission! 6T and I will be waiting
    for you in the smoking area 🙂 …..

• posted by wendleg
    on

They are all far too tasteful..and expensive…you know me , Allie 🤣 They don’t seem to cater for my wacky preferences 😘

• posted by alliecat
    on

You’re outfits are a delight to the eye, Cutie! The one thing you have is “personal style”. Don’t change a thing!!!

• posted by Sani
    on

Thanks Jennie for your advice and encouragement, it is really helpful. I’ll start on 800 daily from tomorrow and will get an app to count calories 😊

• posted by Kafin13
    on

Hi all – since I think Wendy is on a plane and Birdy preparing for a night shift, I’m happy to start the new thread. So, see you all on the next one! Welcome back Sunny B 😊

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Kafin, I think the new thread has already been set up, but the date on it is the 15th rather than the 16th.

• posted by Kafin13
    on

Oops, you’re right, JGwen – will delete mine. Thank you!

• posted by Kafin13
    on

Too late, won’t let me delete!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hey 6T – sorry, meant to respond sooner re: where we are off to in September. It’s India next – so looking forward to experiencing a little of a culture not familiar to us. We fly in to New Delhi, go on to Agra, Jaipur, Jodhpur, Udaipur then home … exciting!

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

Sunny – wow, that is some trip! Are you going on a tour (because it would be very impressive and intrepid to organise that kind of itinerary on your own!). I am intensely envious! And even more if you say you will be staying in a series of beautiful old palaces (I can’t remember the name of the operator but I have read how fabulous they are!)

• posted by SunnyB
    on

We’re not that intrepid, so it’s a bespoke tour with a car and driver for the duration … and sorry 6T, but yes, other than the first and last hotels, all the others are small vintage boutique hotels including a fort and a palace.

Please log in or register to post a reply.