ONE WEEK AT A TIME beginning July 23rd 2019

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Vending machines here are contactless cards only. No cash required. But the one of this floor always gets stuck. And, 1 packet of crisps is 80p and a Snickers is 85p! Daylight robbery!
    Fabulous, Birdy, you must have had a whoosh! πŸ™‚

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hope you have a good day articfox and that you are sleeping better. Hope no sunburn. I have pale freckly skin (goes with the green eyes and red bits in my hair when it is not more vividly coloured..thank you Irish ancestors !) Only my neck ,arms and shins ever see the sun and then only the fronts of my legs so it’s not really the overall, golden bronzed look πŸ˜‰..but sunburn is to be feared. I have a splendid garden hat which prevents me getting the ruddy,beetroot complexion ( you have just got to laugh !) and another Gudrun one if I have to be seen in public .
    Take care articfox..wow meds for horses and humans ! X
    6T I will gently nag you to see a doc if your hip pain continues..because I miss nagging Scottishgal, you understand πŸ˜‰.Step away from those special offers SG and Bikeyguy (how are you both ?) Xx

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi all, well done Birdy. Wendleg the storms are over but we have had rain most of the weekend. A nice steady drizzle and the grass (cant call it a lawn) is green again. Because of the weather I have not been able to swim but by staying clear of the alcohol I am starting the week at the same weight as Friday instead of having gained. Hopefully I will be swimming later today.

On a different subject I have just been playing catch up with the Hugh F-W and sorry, forgotten her name, the programme about plastics. Some of it made me cry as I try so hard to avoid single use plastic although I have a plastic water bottle but I keep filling from the tap since around end of May. If I have to have it I try to re-use it so bag for veg go to line a small bin and so on. I was heartbroken to discover it is almost everything, even things you wouldn’t think. I thought the wipes I use to clean off makeup were some kind of fabric coated with creams – no, they are 85% plastic. I am going to have to re-think things around the house and I certainly dont need makeup wipes. Just an aside which you dont need to comment on.

See you all tomorrow for the weigh in and lets all keep on keeping on… I love it that so many people use my catch phrase.

• posted by caronl
    on

Welcome back Birdy, and congratulations on the latest discard. Sometimes the body just seems to react to a change in habit, so grab the discard and welcome back on board!
    Wendleg, thank you in advance for setting up the next thread. I have been a bit quiet – what with a lot of disturbed nights – but really appreciate them since they keep the pressure up to stay on track. Wishing you all a good week. x

• posted by Verano
    on

Well done Birdy!

• posted by Scottishgal
    on

Oh Wendy, I really need your nagging this week!
    I’ve been a wee bit more relaxed this month with the WOE and thought I was getting away with it…….until I tested my bg this morning! Back in double figures again at 11.3. I don’t think I’ve had double figures since starting bsd in January.
    On this note I would like to remind those recent posters on other threads who approach this WOE light heartedly and berate those who take it more serious, giving support and encouragement and advice whenever needed, that to some of us (especially with medical conditions) this WOE MUST be taken seriously. I’ll be sticking here as my home thread with all of those friends who help and encourage me rather than those who just want to pick a fight.
    Anyway, talking of advice, I need some more. I had assumed that going part time would fix all my diet problems but I’ve discovered a new problem. When working 5 days per week I was taking salads for lunch (home made soup in the winter). Salad stuff would last for first half of the week and be replaced for second half of the week. Now I don’t work Tuesdays and Wednesdays so buying salad stuff for only a Monday isn’t really feasible. I’m trying to do OMAD on the 2 days I don’t work so wouldn’t use the salad stuff. Plus I prefer veg at evening meal. So, I’ve been having crackers with cheese for lunch on a Monday but that’s mucking up my carbs and calories. There’s no way I can eat egg at lunch time. I hate them cold! I don’t get a proper lunch break now and eat at my desk so I’m looking for some simple and easy lunch ideas for a Monday.
    I’m going to try and get back into the 800 calories a day and lower my carbs as much as possible.

• posted by Kafin13
    on

Scottishgal, I’m sorry to hear about the increase in your numbers but this WOE is very forgiving and maybe because you’re not starting from scratch, you’ll be able to bring them back into line more quickly. I’ll be cheering you on and waiting for the next set of downward numbers. Re your meal dilemma, I know you don’t want cold eggs but I just made a egg cheese quiche for the egg fast that can be eaten cold or heated in the microwave. Is that something you might be looking for? Let me know and I’ll put the recipe up on the Good Eats thread.
    See you all over on the next weekly thread xx

• posted by wendleg
    on

Scottishgal , never fear, you are here and facing your raised BG is tough but you know it can be managed. If to achieve that you need my gentle nagging , then I will always be on nagging duties for you SG !

sunshinegirl will be here to help and advise with the bg as she knows what she is talking about and will be sure to give you some tips . Are you Ok doing OMAD ? That doesn’t cause any bg issues if you only eat in the evening?

So nagging begins here Scottish gal πŸ˜‰ I reckon I would leave the crackers out of the equation ( even if they are on special offer πŸ˜‰ ) Why can’t you have salad for Monday lunch ? One thing we have found is that we buy a whole lettuce ..romaine( cos lettuce ??) is good or any other green leaved lettuce, not the ready bagged stuff. We wash it and spin it and bag up the leaves in a ziplock freezer bag and stick it in the fridge and it keeps well for several days Is that feasible for you ?

I assume you haven’t got facilities to reheat food at work ? I realise you eat at your desk but is it really such a short break you can’t leave your work space ? If you have no microwave then cold is the only way to go . What about a layered salad in a Mason jar ? Add some canned tuna or a bit of smoked salmon or mackerel ? I love my fermented veg which is eaten cold like a salad but that might be a bit hard core ??
    I will keep thinking Scottishgal because you are so worth it !
    By the way the new weekly thread is up and running xxx

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi Scottishgal, from one S-G to another. If someone can help with your lunch dilemma let me reassure you that you can get your numbers back down. I checked on my history of this WOE and was running at 8.2 on my start day and was down to 6.5 by day 4 and now never much over 5.5. So you can see it doesn’t take long, you just have to be serious and cut out the white carbs and the calories will automatically reduce until you have got yourself sorted. Shout up, we are all here for you.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Thanks for jumping in to help SG, sg !!!
    See you on the new weekly thread xx

• posted by Scottishgal
    on

Thank you Wendy, SG and Kafin. You are all amazing.
    Yes I know I can get my numbers back down again if I try hard enough. This morning was a shock but I deserved it. I’ve become quite complacent in the last few weeks. That reading has given me the kick up the a*** that I needed. Not to mention your nagging Wendy. It works wonders and makes me feel so guilty when you make it sound so simple!
    I have been buying the pre packed salad but it goes brown after a couple of days. And as it’s only me eating salad then buying individual fresh stuff ends up with a lot of waste. But maybe I just need to put up with the waste for a short period of time. I thought crackers for one day a week would be acceptable but I guess one exception leads to another and then another until it all compounds.
    I resisted the sweets this morning before leaving for work but it was so difficult to resist tonight. I’ll admit I had more than one. But I was going out and asked my son to make sure they were finished or at least hidden before I got home……..there are none left now.
    I’ve done this before and I know I can do it again……… if I can just get into the right mindset.
    See you all on the new weekly thread

• posted by BikeyGuy
    on

Wendleg – no need to worry, I have seen the light and my degenerate past is behind me. I still like a bargain, though!
    KazzUK – I’m trying to keep a level head with all this adulation being thrown at me πŸ™‚
    Kafin13 – sorry about leading you up the garden path, but send all the sympathy you can spare.
    Elky – I’d like to think that I’m in credit for the next plateau. “Right, you little fat cells. You know what to do, you’ve done it before – get going!”
    ArcticFox – I’m intrigued by you using a horsey/human concoction. Slightly connecting to that, has anyone used Bowen Therapy for aches and pains? The very shortened story is that it’s suitable for both horses and humans which sparked my initial interest, and I’m having another treatment later this week. Very gentle compared to some therapies, and it definitely works for me.
    As loads of folk have also said, thanks to everyone here for your encouragement and support. It definitely works for me too!
    Ta Ta!

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Hello ScottishGal πŸ™‚ The “army” are already here with understanding . . . and many hands reaching out to help you over this speedhump!!! I totally understand how you must be feeling with BS readings take a skyward projection! Though as has been said here . . . the tools are available to bring the rocket back down to earth πŸ™‚ As for “workplace” lunch/es . . . I have found a few ideas which may appeal . . . (1) An amazing Leek and Zucchini “soup” made with coconut cream/milk which can be eaten warmed or cold. (2) A “biscuit” “slice” “crispbread” which I adapted to my taste but was first found here . . . when cooked it looks like a type of crispbread – my version without the BIG crunch but OH SO NICE!!!!!! Has chia seeds, linseed, physilium husk, ground LSA and whatever “tastebud ticklers” – garlic, pepper, salt one desires for variation. One or two 2″ square pieces with soup or other “lunch” are VERY filling. (3) Feta cheese, baby spinach, spring onions or shallots – (Aussie name) – canned fish – cold chicken pieces, diced leek rings, broccolini tops . . . with an infused oil dressing . . . (4) Perhaps zucchini, leek and cheese slice . . .? like a cold quiche without the eggs, walnuts to nibble on and Id hope with a coffee dressed with a dollop of full cream with any of the above – something here might be useful πŸ™‚ You have done this before . . . knowledge and experience are powerful tools πŸ™‚ Hang in there! The cheersquad awaits your posts πŸ™‚ Quack! Quack!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

ScottishGal – if you have a Lidl nearby, you might be able to buy living salad. They do three celled trays with a different salad leaf growing in each cell, so that you can pick the leaves you want and the rest stay fresh – providing you keep them watered. It is pricier than buying bagged salad, but there is less waste. Another lunch suggestion would be veggie fritters/pancakes, as these can be eaten hot or cold, so can be made in advance and taken with you as required.
    I’m sure you’ll be able to get your numbers under control again, stay focused and stick with us on the new weekly thread.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

BikeyGuy – yes, Bowen is a therapy I’ve used on a few occasions and OH had a course of Bowen treatment recently too. It’s amazingly effective. I also use Reiki, as I’m a trained practitioner (although not currently working commercially). Energy therapies are fascinating.

Please log in or register to post a reply.