ONE WEEK AT A TIME Beginning Jan. 29, 2019

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hey SG, even a quarter of a pound is a step in the right direction, so celebrate! Four pounds down over 3wks shows you are steadily moving along the path to your goal, so well done, keep on keeping on.

Jordana – congrats on the dry month. You took control, even when things were tough and got the upper hand, so be proud. If you are on the Fast 800, try not to drink until you hit the eight week mark if you can, as alcohol really does hinder liver function and so affects the results on the scales. I can guarantee if I drink, the next day I will see either a blip up on the scales or no movement at all – definitely no movement downwards.

wendleg – thanks for the kind words. As I’ve said before, I certainly would not have reached target without this wonderful forum and all the empathetic people who populate it. So, I’m more than happy to offer what little wisdom I can to those still enroute to their goals.

• posted by Busybee
    on

If you love a G and T, as I do, give Ceder’s Classic non alcoholic gin a try -50 mls to 150 mls of a good tonic, with either lemon or lime – does it for me.
    (Per 100ml = 7 cals, O sugar and 0 carbs)
    It is quite expensive but I don’t tend to have more than enough 1 or 2 and works out at about the same as a good gin.
    Of course for those wanting to quit the demon booze altogether, perhaps trying to mimic a drink may not help.
    X B

• posted by alliecat
    on

A wonderful afternoon to all who walk this road/thread! We have built this community into a vibrant and
    nurturing place to be, and a very warm welcome to Carbshark, Patricia and Mamie who have joined us this week.
    Mamie, have you given any thought to replacing milk used in your tea with almond milk? Fewer calories, and even
    fewer carbs 🙂 Choose unsweetened, however!

Amz, you will soon find the $30.00 for those cute pair of shoes if you calculate what hasn’t been spent on vino!

Catherine, keep up the fight! You will win the war if you don’t give up. There is just no way around the disagreeable
    fact that alcohol has a negative effect on weight loss. Is your b.p. under control now? I’m thinking of you
    in warm Fla. as I shiver up here in New England. I went in search today for an old pair of ski long underwear to
    prepare for the next 48hrs of subzero temps. Indoor gloves and hat at the ready 🙂 It may be actually too cold
    to snow. I think it’s being called a polar vortex! Soup is the only thing I want to eat. Husband is down with the flu
    or bronchitis, so meals are easy at the moment…soup and more soup! Homemade, of course 🙂

Our clubhouse is magnificently full at the moment. Keep posting, everyone! We learn from each and every one
    of you 🙂 I’ve regained 2 lbs of wriggle room this week, so I’m right on course with Sunny, as usual. Twenty one
    months in maintenance, and still counting…Thank you, all!

Allie

• posted by Violinist
    on

Allie, I will not give up! It is 60 down here at the moment. Nice.

BP is still not under control and they increased the perscription. That still did not do it so I will see doc next week and blood work tomorrow for cholesteral, a1c, thyroid etc

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

Just wanted to say to Nee that her 25lbs discard (in 20 days!) is AMAZING. If whatever she is doing could be put in tablet form, she would make a fortune. On the “hot potato” game, well, that might explain why I was never picked for the netball team…. BUT it is not as it was only three weeks ago and in this cold weather, I estimate avoided hot crumpet consumption (butter plus jam) of at least a dozen. And no white carbs (or brown for that matter). So it’s all a matter of balance……??? My immediate mini challenge is the size 16 skirt popper issue I mentioned on Kazzee’s Road Trip on Monday. An inch and I am there. I might step away from the forums for a bit as did find myself responding to matters which were very personal. And I’m not a psychologist or relationships expert and don’t want to pretend I have any particular insight and on reflection the temptation to comment is one I should avoid. But all best wishes to you all (stronger than me…)!

• posted by Violinist
    on

Thank you Jordana!

• posted by GangreneHeart
    on

Hello. Just stepping in to say hello and hurray for everyone’s hard work.
    I have an omad today and a planned fast from lunch time until lunchtime Saturday. It’s been a while since I did a longer fast so I’m excited. It’s so convenient to not have to worry and weigh food for the day. I planning some fun things for my daughter so the next few days with be a delight for her as well. I’ll be stopping by to read everyone’s posts here and there, though no promise to comment on all of them, so please continue your encouraging words.

Allie, I found the shoes I wanted on sale on a different site for $11 so when with shipping, it’s half the price. 🙂

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Oh what an inspiring post! Well done you J!!!! And my jaw dropped when I got to the last sharing about the money! (Cant find the POUNDS sign on my keyboard only have $$$$$!!! But thats a massive amount to have or repurposing! Continued success as you break into a trot from a walk 🙂 QUACK QUACK!!!
    xxxBxxx

• posted by Butterlover
    on

Hi Everyone.Ive not been following the thread much this week as Im cleaning my house and garden ready for chinese new year on Feb 4.pressure washing our patio .washing curtains etc etc.I went for an hour walk with a group that I joined last week and I woke in pain yesterday .My hips and wrists were so bad that I went back to bed for a couple of hours till the medication took effect. Then cheered myself with bad foods.I really admire those of you who can stick to bsd when you sre not well. current weight 87.4.kg.I will try to maintain for the rest of this week. Well done to all the “discarders”.I hope to join you next week.

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Hello, hope you don’t mind my popping in for a moment.

8weeeks, I wanted to respond to your post. That’s a great list you have (as is Violinist’s, which I love – I think I’ve told her before.)
    Anyway, what I wanted to say is that you will definitely get each one of the things on your list if you keep on going. Like others, I’ve experienced all of those things as a result of this way of eating and it is a joy.
    I have Type II diabetes and put it into remission on this way of eating. As long as you are keeping to the 800 cals and keep your carbs low (for me the important bit), your blood sugars will already have started to reduce so you should be well on your way to reversing your pre-diabetes. My experience, like others, is that my blood sugars returned to normal long before I’d got into a healthy BMI.
    It can be tricky getting used to this woe at first, but speaking as someone with no willpower, it really does get easier as you go on – and the 800 cals isn’t forever!

8 kg. is a great weight loss – best wishes to you – and everyone else – in reaching your goals.

• posted by Jennie10
    on

sixturkeys – don’t go xx

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Hi there ScottishGirl! Please dont be despondent! Consider this: We cannot SEE those on the roadtrain with us 🙂 We are all invisible to each other!!! Therefore, there are folks here who have larger body masses than others – slimmer than others . . . blood sugar issues and BP. Differing metabolisms . . . doing 800 or 1000 . . . 5:2 . . . fasting randomly . .. sleeping badly or well . . . stressing . . . and a subtle stress . . . anticipating and expecting!!! The only common denominator as I see it is . . . we are all here just to be healthier. And yes we have all fallen off at least once! Thats where we hopefully learn to not have that happen again – simply by hanging on – (to something stable) – when we get back on!!! That might be to the forum folk!!! Always someone here to give you a hand up – or on!!! May I suggest you not binge or deny the chocolate craving . . . but see it may just be a carb craving. I have mini individually wrapped 85% cocoa thin chocolate “bars”. each one is 25gms. Now in 100grms 598 calories . . . and 20.4grms of carb so doing the maths . . , in ONE 25gm bar there are 125 calories, 5 grms of carb. Not too much damage there. So when my mind says CHOCOLATE PLEASE!! I treat it as a child and offer something high protein like pate or nuts/seeds first . . . and water. I divert to another option. If this doesnt have the desired result . . . then I open one of these tiny bars. Because it is quite bitter . . . but rich!!! I rarely finish one these days. In fact there are two packets x 5 bars in my pantry – showing me its been ages since Ive had this desire. Speaking of stressing . . . I have my 3month return visit to endo due in 10 days time. AND . . . Ive been SO diligent in dietary watch . . . BUT just realised why Im not discarding any weight right now . . . Im anxious and padding up for protection!! Stop that Duckie! He is a dish!!! and will support you in your quest . . . even if a little disappointed with only 4 cms gone from my girth – instead of the requested 10! Well THAT is HIS request aim. Ive been aiming for the IDEAL he set . . . instead of the real Ive been able to achieve!!! AND a loss is a loss right??

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Jennie10 a beautiful read. Well done and yes I wholeheartedly agree with the BSL’s declining before the weight. I saw the latter as a bonus! And the healthier person is a happier person – proving the basics of this woe are both positive and powerful. And because not everyone is a clone . .. we (may) need to tweak the basics to fit our individuality but starting is the first step to a new life’s chapter 🙂

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Oh ButterLover! I smiled at your comment of cheering yourself up with bad food!!!! That came across as a push-me-pull-me . . . and almost punishment for all your good work earlier. (Just as a suggestion) – it may be, when you were a child and perhaps unwell or out of sorts, you were given something “outside the normal everyday foods” to buck you up or encourage you to eat other more nourishing food . . . this may be your response pattern at play so perhaps the next time . . . if there is . . . maybe some nuts, pate, pork crisps could be the platitude foods? whatever or whichever . . . please dont beat up on yourself. Congratulate yourself for recognising what you did. Respect and live yourself by not repeating 🙂 Wave the POM POM as you step into today 🙂 And I trust the pain levels have by now subsided.

• posted by Film24
    on

Hi everyone,
    Wow, so lovely to read everyones journeys, struggles, and achievements this week – it is sure helping me!
    I’m new to this community as I have just started this 3 days ago, starting at 176.88, with a family history of diabetes and obesity (i realise i am overweight and looking down the barrel of diabetes if i don’t change my lifestyle). After 3 days, i’m down almost 2lbs – I know this is just water weight, but it’s definitely motivating to help make these changes whilst my mind is still adjusting to the new food quantities and types. It’s amazing how many calories are in things, so much more than I realised until i started recording and calculating!
    Thanks for all the inspiration team!

• posted by alliecat
    on

Wecome, Film 24!l You are off to a great start, realizing that weighing and measuring your portions is the way to
    go. Beyond even calorie counting though, carb counting is the key to rapid and consistent weight loss. Carbs hide
    everywhere, and using one of the apps to log them before a meal will quickly become second nature to you, and you
    will be richly rewarded for doing so. Some of us are far more insulin resistant than others, so discovering where
    you fall on the spectrum ia an excellent place to start, 50g is a good starting point, but some of us have found
    through trial and error that we need to go as low as 20g to see the results we’re looking for. Just shout if you
    have any questions or concerns, and an experienced BSDer will be at your side post haste 🙂 Very best to you !

Allie

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Welcome Film24 🙂 This is a cool place to meet and exchange – a wealth of experience and information abound and it is ALL FREE!!!!! Congratulations of starting the journey to better health and the gift you have just given yourself. Im 7 months in and never felt better . . . 10-11kgs discarded which isnt as much as some and more than some . . . as a % . . ? more than a 10% reduction. More than acceptable in those terms and in many cases, what is suggested by medicos as a starting point! So please be reassured we are all individuals and comparing results can be sadly discouraging 🙂 Yep the dreaded “Cs” . . Carbs and Calories 🙂 but it wont be long before you will be juggling them like a professional . . . and while it is interesting to jump on the scales to see whats happened . . . consider ignoring them . . . because . . . every day we go up and down . . . which can be perplexing. Maybe set aside whatever day is assigned for One Week at a Time thread . . . and be surprised, satisfied and encouraged by what is presented 🙂 All the very best 🙂

• posted by wendleg
    on

This is a message for sixturkeys .
    I do hope you stay with us even if you don’t feel like posting at the moment. I understand what you are saying. I respond very instinctively to everyone on the forum and I find it impossible not to reply when I sense someone is in distress. I agree it may be personal but I cannot ignore it.
    Allie and Kazz know I don’t have many filters but I would never offend. I am direct but I do my utmost to show care and consideration.
    I actually imagine myself speaking to the person in the same way .

I can’t imagine a thread where we only discuss carbs , calories, weight loss , scales…I love exchanging with women especially about more emotional things.For me it’s all linked. What can be more emotional than the deep seated reasons behind a life time of yo yo dieting and carb addiction ? I don’t have any particular claims to know best .I just empathize and share my experience and hope somehow I have helped a bit.

I will continue to post as I do and I hope that’s ok with everyone. I don’t think Amz was upset about my personal comments (although I did say I was out of order re lack of respect for her husband )( needed a filter there !)
    She knows I am looking out for her .
    So sixturkeys you have to be yourself and do as you feel comfortable.
    I would hate you to leave the forum because of that one incident.

I will shut up now but I will be back 😉
    Wendy xx

• posted by Violinist
    on

Wendy, BSD is definitely linked to the rest of our daily life, isn’t it. I like to think this website is for the whole person on BSD.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Oh, Wendy! PLEASE don’t ever “shut up”!!! You bring your light and truth to each of us daily and
    having the gift of instantanious empathy for the suffering of your sisters here is just one of your special
    qualities. I delight in the personal stories here. It’s how we recognize each other as members of
    the same tribe, and what distinguishoes us from other weight loss sites out there. We share our
    trials and tribulations, and more times than I can count, I’ve been lifted from an anxious place by
    the fabulous, bright and talented women I now consider “friends”.

I, too, hope that you continue on with us, sixturkeys, in whatever capacity you are comfortable
    with. 🙂

• posted by skittle
    on

Hello everyone – I’m brand new, hope this is a good place to jump in and start! You all seem very lovely. 🙂
    I’m a new mum with a 4 month old, doing the Fast 800, 3 weeks in. I’m in the countryside, it’s frostbound and miserable and I’m feeling a bit stressed and quite lonely on this WOE (see I didn’t say diet, ha!) so thought I’d look for some compadres here.
    I lost 4.4kg week 1 then only 1.3kg week 2, so 5.8kg so far. Aiming to lose 27kg. (Start weight 97.4, target 70kg) It’s really frustrating because although 5.8kg/13lb is a nice chunk to lose it is completely invisible on me! I’m six feet tall and I can’t feel it let alone see it. I chose this plan because I need to see results to keep motivated but so far nothing to see :-/ Hey ho. Going to keep going. This is the first time in my life I’ve ever had discipline about food (I am such a foodie – a real food hedonist!) so at least that’s something.

I have a question – should I be completely excluding “brown” carbs like quinoa/brown rice/black rice/wild rice? I have a meal standby I’ve been eating a lot (it’s a M&S balanced for you meal) with this mix in it, but I wonder if it’s affecting ketosis – it was s only trace yesterday after I had it for lunch but was well into moderate this morning. Any help appreciated as the BSD cookbook says they use brown rice and quinoa often!

Thank you and good luck everybody! 🙂
    skittle x

• posted by Maximin
    on

Hi and welcome, skittle!
    Yes, this is a great group of supportive people! I know it’s difficult to live in a climate where it’s hard to get outdoors. Do you have machines to work on at home, stationary bike and what not? I can’t live without one and I am in a moderate climate! Put some really good music on and go to town. Also, regardless of the weather at least try to get a few minutes of sun each day; it really improves the mood.
    As far as the brown carbs go… Personally, I don’t eat them while on the 800 calorie diet because I find them too many calories and carbs but I’m sure others eat them. I suppose if you only allow yourself a very small serving it would be fine but I don’t care that much for rice and quinoa, so I don’t miss them. I suggest you just count your net carbs each day. If you’re under 30 you should be fine but each person is different and at your height you may well need more.
    Stay focused and don’t let the gloominess beat you. Get that sunshine if you have to bundle up and stand on your doorstoop!
    Max.

• posted by Maximin
    on

Welcome, Film24! Yes, it’s sobbering when we take a look at what we’ve been eating and realize how wildly incorrect we’ve been about it’s calorie and carb content!
    I remember looking at a banana (my old friend) in astonishment!
    You’ll get used to it in no time. 🙂
    Max.

• posted by Maximin
    on

Good morning, Gang!
    Well, slipped a wee bit yesterday (with hubby’s encouragment, I might add :/ ) I had around 1450 calories and 60 carbs. I was afraid to get on the scale this morning, convinced my weight would pop up 2 or 3 pounds, but thankfully there was no movement etiher way. I’m right back on 800 c’s and under 27 net carbs today – feeling lucky!

Hope everyone is having a great day!
    Max.

• posted by Hell Diver
    on

Good afternoon all,
    My name is Nik,
    its my 1st week and 4 days in, first couple of days horrible but i seem to be getting into it.
    Nice to hear the support everyone is getting.
    Please could i ask what your blood sugar levels were / are.
    Mine have been up to 22, average is 15 – 17, this is when i am off meds which i stopped 9 months ago due to side effects,
    4th day of the 800 and its now 11.5, lower then when i was on meds, i truly think i can get it to normal by week 8
    I find it so funny when i read ” my doctor told me i was diabetic and said i would be on meds for ever”
    Time to update some thinking wouldn’t you say,
    good luck everyone,
    Regards,
    Nik

• posted by Maximin
    on

Hi Nik! Welcome!
    I’m not sure what your readings are in the units you are using. Mine are measured at home in mg/dl.
    I began high normal range fasting typically at 97 mg/dl. I’m now getting readings of 87 mg/dl and I’m hoping to continue this trend.

Max.

• posted by skittle
    on

Hi Max, thanks for the welcome 🙂 All good advice – sorry I have made it sound like I never go out – I do! I take the baby for a walk every day even if it’s raining and the dogs for long walks at weekends. I love being outside. That said, it’s just a little hard to love the countryside at this time of year in the UK – cold, wet and infernally muddy!

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi skittle and welcome !
    You sound a bit impatient but be assured you will soon begin to see and feel the changes. You are only 3 weeks in, give it time . It’s not just about what is happening on the scales..remember to take your measurements too.

I lost 10 kilos on the 8 Week programme but it took a lot longer than that for people to notice any changes . My dresses were definitely looser. Maybe think in terms of long term healthy eating habits rather than a quick fix ?

I would not include any grains on the BSD 800. I have heard that the recipes in the BSD cookbook can be inaccurate in carb and calorie counts and are best left for maintenance.You could check out http://www.dietdoctor.com for lots of low carb recipes plus useful videos and articles on low carb/keto
    Stay with us. Lots of support will be available when you are feeling gloomy . Don’t be too hard on yourself. I hope you are getting enough sleep . All the very best and stay warm !

on

Just stopping in to say this : Wendy, you’re lovely. Whatever would I be mad at someone for defending my right to be happy and healthy?! I love this forum and the support I received from everyone involved.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi folks – has been a hectic day travelling to daughter’s today (we live SW UK, she lives SE UK). Not able to catch up on all the posts here, but have scanned and was concerned by wendleg’s post. There will inevitably be times, when we react and respond instinctively and the result might seem a bit harsh or abrupt, when that is far from our intent. Unfortunately this is a risk we run with the written word, as those reading do not have the benefit of reading your facial expression, body language or hearing tone of voice, etc. to be able to get the true message.

wendleg, please do not stop posting. You have been endlessly nurturing and supportive and it would really be a huge lose to us all if you dropped off or even start to second guess yourself – please continue to give us the real wendleg.

Final comment for this time, to G/Heart – thrilled you have found your desired shoes at a bargain price!

• posted by Mariet
    on

Such a busy thread! I’m missing in action for two days and so much to read!

Wendleg, just wanted to say how much I admire your generous and kindly support for everyone on the forum. You give so much of your time and energy to supporting others, don’t back off.

Finally, a downwards movement on the scales- I know, I know, numbers aren’t everything but it is nice to see after trying fruitlessly for a while. Two pounds gone overnight so now I’m back to where I was ten days ago. Yay!

I’ve been recording on a different app, Carb Manager instead of MFP which I’ve been using for ages. Still record my weight there because it’s got all my different weights since 2008! But Carb Manages tracks carbs as its primary focus and I find it more satisfying. Staying below 20, often below 10. I think it’s all the green salads that are all I fancy in the heat.

Good luck to all on the lead in to the weekend, I am concentrating on good choices as I’ve got a birthday lunch for my sister and an open air all day rock concert the other day 🥺

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Sunny 🙂 A beautiful post and so true. Written words, be they letters, emails, test messages can be SO dangerous without the visual emotions available to give the true meaning. So many wonderfully loving and genuinely concerned and well informed people reside here . . . and no matter when . . or for what dilemma we are individually facing . . . SOMEONE is always alert to answer, support, advise or simply sympathise, empathise or offer solace. And sometimes when we are hurting SO MUCH, maybe confused, disappointed and frustrated, even one word of support, suggestion, solace, is delivered with love, arrives with a papercut, and the tiniest sting can feel like a 4″ nail being driven in. I think we have ALL been there 🙂 Ive long since learned those papercuts are things we need to look at 🙂 They are asking for attention 🙂 Love your work and heart Sunny xxx – and have found so many loving caring souls abide here – way way too many to even start to list because some dont even post . . . they just read and their energy also nurtures the forum. Quack Quack xx Duckie.

• posted by Hell Diver
    on

Good morning Max,
    thanks for the welcome,
    Thanks for giving me your levels
    the units of measurement on my test monitor is in mmol/L
    so according to Joslin diabetes centre conversion chart i was at my worst 22mmol/L which converts to 400mg/dl
    my average was 15 – 17 mmol/L [ 270 – 306 mg/dl ]
    but started the 800 monday at 15.8mmol/L [ 270mgg/dl ] and today i am at 9.5mmol/L – result.
    I have felt really strange this week, not weak because i am walking briskly for an hour each day but just out of sorts.
    I hope you can continue to manage your levels,
    Regards,
    Nik

• posted by skittle
    on

Hi wendleg, just want to say thank you for the welcome and kind post .:)
    I am very impatient! And hard on myself. If I put lots of effort in I expect to see results, and probably too fast 😉 I am just frustrated that even I can’t feel any difference let alone others. But will keep going. I didn’t take measurements at the start so have slightly messed that up now, but even so, I really want to see the weight number change, that’s my key measure, as it’s still so far over where I want it to be.

Thanks re grains and the link! I am starting to suspect I am one of those people who needs very very low carbs for this to work. I don’t think the new fast 800 book makes this clear enough, actually.

Am I seeing it as a quick fix? Yes and no. I don’t have any health problems and just had a super fit pregnancy. I will admit I am doing this for vanity first and health second, as it is about looking and feeling better now (killing or at least subduing some pretty powerful psychological demons who have kept me in an unhappy place) and also heading off any future health issues at the pass. I am excited by the science around IF, TRE and the low carb Med diet and want to apply it to my future health. I’m heavier than I want to be not because I make poor food choices, but because I am greedy! =D My usual diet is very good, in fact I love the low carb Med food, its my favourite, and cooking fresh food from scratch is the norm. However I eat too much – and enjoy good wine too much as well! So for me this is not so much a quick fix as a powerful reset – to get me where I want to be, to kick start some health benefits, and then I’ll return to my usual low carb Med diet, with better portion control, less booze and probably even less carbs, the way things are going – whatever it takes to maintain. I guess I’m trying to say this isn’t a new way of eating for me – at least the healthy Med bit.

Sleep is fine thank you – she is an angel baby who currently does 10.5 hours a night – thank you baby gods!

All good wishes x

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hello skittle, and welcome to this thread! You are primed for success by already believing in a
    healthy mediterranean lifestyle…Portion control is what it is all about 🙂 Your precious child will
    thank you one day for being exposed to a childhood of healthy eating. There is a lifetime of
    knowledge and support here, so just shout out if you have any questions or concerns. Habits
    relating to alcohol are a common theme here. Nothing seems to halt a downward trend on the
    scales the way it does! Sad but true, for most of us. I’ve been in maintenance for 21 months,
    but it is still something I need to keep a sharp eye on. Very best to you!!!

Allie

• posted by Patricia1066
    on

It’s snowing and -2 C this morning. I didn’t want to get up, felt hungover and cranky. I couldn’t face another bowl of Greek yoghurt, and the thought of hot porridge got me out of bed. Just 30g steel rolled oats, yoghurt and berries total carbs are 49.56g. It felt good as I had a lot to do this morning.
    By lunchtime I was feeling flu symptoms again, and from past experience I’m at low normal blood sugar before eating.
    I had a large bowl of homemade spicy carrot and celery soup, 8g carbs but this didn’t satisfy me. I drank 1litre water and now feel clear headed. Total salt today was 1200mg so far.
    Fatsecret is amazing, the functionality that you can use to analyse your foods, by date, meal and nutrients.
    I hope I have not broken the keto process which was going on yesterday and this morning. When I hear about how 20g carbs are possible with salads I think, not likely in UK in January!
    Love to all of you on this journey, it’s a really good feeling to know what we share, and what help we can get and give here.

on

So cold! The cold snap in my area is over, but I’m still freezing. Maybe it’s all blubber I’ve discarded the past few months? I don’t want it back though!
    Today is a new month so I’ve made a new goal. By March 1st, I’d like to lose five pounds and get to 159 (though I’d be tap dancing if it’s more). That will get me one mini goal closer to one 150.
    I know weekends get quieter here so I’ll send this post with the wish that everyone makes healthy choices (me included)!

• posted by alliecat
    on

Happy day to you, Amz! This polar vortex has been brutal hasn’t it? I’m finally thawing out 🙂 I’ve
    been unable to get the house temp above 63F for the past 2 days! Global warming? What is THAT???
    I’m happy that you’ve found your perfect pair of dancing shoes 🙂 I hope that silly groundhog sees
    his shadow this week….Six more weeks of winter? I hope not! Have you ever been through Winter
    in New England? The only positive is that it boots up my metabolism trying to keep warm!

Have an excellent weekend, all. I have cabin fever, so looking forward to getting free of hibernation,
    and taking my pale pink puffer jacket out for a stroll around the neighborhood tomorrow 🙂

• posted by wendleg
    on

Skittle, you already have a healthy way of eating. We are all guilty of overloading our plates even with good food choices. I used to make the most spectacular smoothies with a vast array of tropical fruits, bananas, oats, seeds , nut butters and milks. Little did I know my fructose levels were sky high !!!

It’s not easy in the winter months to think salads and Mediterranean veg but soups and oily fish (sardines and mackerel) are good choices. I agree that smaller portions, less booze and low carb are the way to success right now and will ensure you can maintain in the future.
    You have established your goals and your determination will see you through. Have you thought of logging your foods, carbs and cals so you remain vigilant until it becomes second nature ?

I was wondering ….are you breast feeding your beautiful baby ? Remember your body needs time to get back to normal after child birth so be kind to yourself .

• posted by wendleg
    on

Good to see you checking in Amz. We have all been watching the extreme weather conditions in the US and thinking of you . Stay warm ! We will all be here to applaud and support you as you move towards your March goal.

Yes, the weekend tends to be quieter on the thread but will be checking in regularly as will Allie . Have a great weekend xx

• posted by wendleg
    on

Sorry you felt a bit ‘Under the Weather’ today, Patricia. Can you face eggs for breakfast if Greek yoghurt is not palatable ? Well done on sticking with healthy food choices despite those freezing températures.

Keep going . xx

• posted by Patricia1066
    on

Hi Wendleg, I’m usually about 4.0 mmol in the morning, so slightly hypo, but tomorrow I will have a FRY UP. Bacon, egg yolk and portobello mushrooms equals 14 carbs. For once a meal I can share with my husband.

• posted by wendleg
    on

caronl ! Thinking of you looking svelte in your outfit at the choir performance tomorrow.I am sure you will be FABULOUS !!!

• posted by wendleg
    on

Enjoy your low carb ‘Full English’ Patricia ! Stay away from the orange juice ; -) Stick to the basic BSD principles and that pre diabetic diagnosis will be no more. Focus on your long term health….you are worth it ! Shout out if you need any guidance on food choices. It’s tricky when you have to cater for yourself and O/H . Maybe he would enjoy trying out a few new BSD recipes with you ? Lots of recipe ideas on http://www.dietdoctor.com and on this forum.
    Keep posted and we will help in anyway we can x

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Patricia I cook for my husband and 2 youngest daughters who still live at home. I refuse to cook separate meals so they eat what I’m having 🙂 I do make some adjustments though – bolognaise sauce for example I’ll have zucchini noodles and they’ll have pasta, curry I have cauliflower rice and they have basmati rice, things like that. My daughters actually like cauliflower now too, and one prefers zoodles to spaghetti. I found I could adapt most of our usual family meals and make them BSD friendly for me. Breakfast and lunch it is different – my husband likes to have cereal and toast still, but I’ve always had a different breakfast to him anyway as pre-BSD I almost always had porridge or eggs. Tomorrow I’m cooking a leg of lamb in my slow cooker and the family will have mash or roast potatoes but I’ll have celeriac instead.

• posted by Patricia1066
    on

Hi Sueblue, I do Cook for us both, just feel like I have to justify everything I am eating at the moment. He is so anxious about the diagnosis.

I made Cauliflower mash yesterday and OH said next time he will have that. Roasted cauliflower smells amazing. He won’t eat any starch but potato, so for him to try cauliflower was surprising.

My sil has a great recipe for lamb tagine, with lentils and red cabbage – sounds perfect for a cold afternoon. Main meals I have no problems with, it’s the breakfast…. Saturated fats like coconut cream – I could try make a cake for breakfast some day as relief from yoghurt.
    Does the saturated fat not worry people? Do you get lipids tested while on this WOE?

• posted by Verano
    on

Good morning!
    Hello to all the new posters and golden oldies as well.
    So we are over half way through this week and I realise I have only been successful with half of my goal this week. I have been logging my intake religiously, albeit with guesstimates, as it’s not practical for me to weigh everything at the moment. Unfortunately I haven’t increased my water intake. Not sure why and I will try harder for the rest of this week.
    I have been logging everything and again I’m stunned at my carb intake. On average I’m having 40g of carbs a day but less than 800 calories every day. It just reminds me how easy it is to lose track of the carbs even while keeping very low calorie. When I look at the culprits I can see that two tiny satsumas and one or two slices of Ryvita are bumping up my carbs quite dramatically. I have the answer!!!
    Hope everyone has a good BSD friendly weekend.

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Hi Verano! SO GLAD you saw the Ryvita hiding her booty!!! SO SNEAKY! Thats one if the culprits which blew my BSL’s out of the ballpark! I too have been adding to my water intake and quite proud of the quantity. It has taken a lot of willpower and mindset but Im getting there 🙂 Pat week has been TMAD – almost zero snacking . . . mending done . . . house tidy and Im tentatively back to cardmaking in the new location . . . which seems to have a different energy . . . and not as user friendly . . . but . . . its where it need to be to be more user friendly to the rest of the home. 🙂 One week at a time . . . but mostly – of recent time – its been one day at a time! “avagoodweegend everyone!!!

• posted by caronl
    on

Thank you Wendleg. At the dress rehearsal last night we were all packed in like sardines. But I had one major positive – weighing 20kilos/3 stone less made it all much more comfortable!

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi all, hope you are having a good weekend. Still weigh the same which is good as I cheated last night with my dry January coming to an end. A couple of VT’s and a glass of wine. A big difference was that my husband was away for the day so I didn’t have ‘proper’ meals with a yoghurt and fruit for breakfast, half a tin of real soup for lunch and my evening meal was half a tin of beans and a poached egg. I think this made a big difference as I would normally have had a bolognaise or similar at around 350 cals whereas the egg and beans was around 230. Maybe I should do more ‘snack’ type dinners.

I noticed someone (scrolled back to check) ah yes, Patricia1066, asked about the saturated fats and whether we get our lipids checked. Actually you dont get to eat that much ‘fat’ as you would be limited because of the calories. I use full fat cheese and butter but a scraping of the butter on an occasional Ryvita (sorry V, I still have them) or just a small bit on the end of a knife to cook my scrambled eggs. Then you have to think of the flavour. One 40g square of f.f. cheese is so much more satisfying and tasty than half a block of low fat, low calories versions. You get the mouth satisfaction as well as it being more filling. I still dont eat the obvious fat on meat unless is has been rendered to a crisp so would eat a small piece of crackling or a little bit of crispy chicken skin. Again, because of the calories you are only talking about enough just to have a little taste. The next point about ‘fats’ is that there are others that are not saturated and your blood works will benefit greatly from including olive oil for dressings or rapeseed oil for cooking. Be careful with some vegetable oils as they dont all have the same health giving properties. I think sunflower or plain veg oil are not that good for you. Then you can eat your oils in nut, avocados or, my favourite snack now, olives. When I started this way of eating my cholesterol was always around 6.5 or 7.0. It is now down to around 4.2 (exactly on last test). Not just that but I have reduced my statins from 40mg to 10mg daily and the only reason I still have the 10mg is because I have diabetes so higher risk of the vascular problems (stroke, heart attack) so it is just a small safety net. I used to have my cholesterol checked once a year and then when it had come down the doctor asked me what I have been doing. I told him about eating fat and oils etc and he now makes me have a test every 3 months when I have my HbA1c done as he cant quite believe it is so low. He is waiting for it to go back up but it just keeps coming down. Bless him, he is such a fuss pot.

I hope that explains things a bit better and reassures you about allowing some fat into your diet – but remember it is high in calories so you wont be having loads.

Please log in or register to post a reply.