on fast 800 but not diabetic

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Rubbu
    on

Hi everyone.
    It has been invigorating to read all the success stories and truly believe the Mediterranean diet with exercise is the best lifestyle choice. Well done to all who have and continue to see improvements in their weight and health,!!!

I have just started my 5th week (more detail are attached to my profile which you can view by clicking on my user name) but feeling a little low as I have only lost 2 inches around my belly button measurements and 11 lbs in total.

I am trying to adjust my mindset and be positive as this is all a step in the right direction but I can’t seem to be able to shift in to positivity! Having read bsd book, I now realise, I most definitely set my expectations too high and hoped to loose 20-24 lbs in 8 weeks but it is likely I will loose around 16 lbs.

Has anyone else had high expectations and is finding the weight loss slow and if so what changes did you make to help/overcome?
    What do you plan to do after eight weeks follow the 800 till you hit your goal weight or something else’s?

I have not been diagnosed with diabetes and embarked on this journey to bring my weight down rapidly and then follow the med diet with a one day a week “carb treat” of bread, pasta or potato ( I miss my jacket potato)! I cannot decide whether I should continue with 800 after 8 weeks. I have enjoyed daily 12 hour fast (16 at weekends), whereby I finish eating at 8pm and then eat again till 8am… I will continue to do this. I have also enjoyed eating more veg (usually with protein) but what I have missed most is fruit, peaches, pineapple, mango, melon, kiwi, grape fruits and pears… All replaced with berries and occasional orange or grapefruit.

Please share your thoughts if you too are slowing down on weight loss and fast approaching the 8 week milestone.
    Many thanks
    Anita

• posted by RozyDozy
    on

Hello Anita,
    I’ve just made it to the 8 week stage – there have been times when the weight loss was slow but weeks 7/8 things seemed to pick up a bit. But currently I’m on a bit of a plateau – I’m hoping it’s just my body saying “give me time to readjust” and then I’ll see another drop. I’ve lost 11lbs so far – so you have done better than me already! I didn’t do 800 cals a day for the whole 8 weeks, rather I took a more relaxed approach to ease myself in so I could acclimatise gradually and accepted that my weight loss would be a bit slower. I will try and continue with the weight loss programme as I have more weight to lose to get into the “Healthy” part of the Body Mass Index scale.
    You seem to be doing things right (your time fasting is similar to mine) so don’t worry, just persevere. I exercise when I can but I need to do more and maybe speed up my walking pace. Who knows, I may get the swimming cozzy out (when it’s warmer) and visit the swimming pool. The inspirational examples in the book are all well and good but not everyone is going to follow the same pattern. Spectacular losses get the headlines but I think some of us won’t necessarily achieve the same level. The important thing is that you are seeing some benefit. As for the fruits you are missing, well, I don’t think the odd one will hurt every now and then.
    Good luck,
    Rose

• posted by Wombat
    on

Hi Anita,

I am only on Week 2 of BSD!!! ….and like you am not pre-diabetic nor diabetic – just want and need to by body healthy! At the moment I am enjoying all the meals, no cravings, no cheating (although had a couple of tbsp’s of cottage cheese last night and a couple of glasses of red wine in the week! Know the Dr Mosley says that red wine was OK if ya needed a drink in the 5:2!) and no exercise at the moment. I unlike you have had no headaches, but did expereince some onset migraine symptoms. Finally pleased also that my body is telling me I’m tired as I suffered with late nights which led to larder raiding!!

I must admit that I was expecting to have lost a lot more weight – lost 7lb in my first week ….really happy! But the last three days haven’t seen the scales shift! I am increasing my fluid intake as struggling with 2 litres and have decided to put the rowing machine in my bedroom, instead of it gathering dust in the garage!!

The 800 day is suiting me at present, albeit a week or so, and feel that I will stick to it for the 8 weeks and hope to have lost 2 stone by the end of it – moving on the 5:2 after! I like you am enjoying eating more vegetables, but am pleased that the BSD doesn’t involve eating loads of fruit as didn’t eat much before and my sugars were mostly refined! Haven’t had one meal yet on BSD that I don’t absolutely love!

I wish you and everyone else doing BSD every success going forward and hope that you have a more positive loss to reach your goal.

Ella x

• posted by Rubbu
    on

Hi Rose and Ella
    Many thanks for the replies.
    Rose, great achievement and I’m glad your approach is working well for you. Stick with it !!! Let em know how you are getting on xx
    Ella I have been doing burst exercise and you’ll find once you start with the the rowing you’ll have more energy and sleep even better. The fluid in take may account for no weight shift in three days?? But I’m certain once you start with the exercise the weight will shift. Xx

I struggle with a work life balance but am now incorporating quick bursts of exercise either at work, whilst commuting or a quick walk with short sprints around my block (that way I can run indoors if it pours) !!

Let me know how you get on this week xx

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi All – After a great start in the first week, I too had a plateau in week 2 and have been assures on other forums on this site, that this is normal and often happens week2/3 – and indeed for some, in later weeks too. It was disheartening not to see movement on the scales for a few days, but then I dropped a pound at the end of the week. Again this week – my third – has seen nothing in pounds lost so far, but some how, when I last measured I was missing 1.5 inches from my waist.

Think the secret is to accept that as your body adjusts, there will be time when the pounds don’t drop as readily as you’d expect, but you have to stay positive and committed to the process. Remember that success is partly in the head, don’t allow yourself to self-sabotage because progress is not what you expect and you feel discouraged – there’s plenty of support on the forums when you feel like this, so use it. As for goals, there’s no reason you can’t adjust those to something more attainable – if you think 16lb is realistic, set that as your new target and if you hit it before the end of the eight weeks, you can set a new goal.

I’m almost at the end of my week three and right now, I have no idea what I am going to do at the end of the 8wks on the 800 diet. Thought it made sense not to try to plan that far ahead, but to concentrate of the here and now. Once I get into week eight and have a better picture of how much I have lost, I’ll be better equipped to make the decision, but I do know that I would be prepared to stay on the 800 if I decided it would help.

Remember, be kind to yourself, don’t beat yourself up because things are not happening as fast as you would like – at 800 cals a day, the weight loss WILL happen.

Good luck everyone.

• posted by Spirit
    on

Hello Rubbu,

I’m not diabetic or prediabetic either. I am almost at the end of week 5, I too lost 8lb in week 1 and then stalled for the following 2 weeks. I also had a problem with constipation. I adjusted what I ate – like seriously dropped the cals to 300 ish a day for a few days, in fact I still do have the odd very low cal day. It just kick starts it for me if things have been slowing down a bit.

I did Dr Mosely’s original 5,2 diet in 2013 and a few lbs had crept on. I just need to get back to what I was in 2014. Well the top half is, I’ve written elsewhere here, but I had a breast reduction in August so the top half is a size 12. I’m just working on the pear shaped bottom half!

I’d been doing the Davina fit in 7 about every other day, I also swim 2-3 times a week. I’ve also started walking at lunchtimes – it’s actually nice to get away from the desk for half an hour and get some fresh air. Then about 10 days ago I bought a vibrations plate machine. It’s a bit like sitting on the washing machine when it’s spinning! i have to say that it is toning up the muscles since there is not so much wobbling when i stand on it now! It’s also something I can do if it’s raining lunchtime and I can’t go out.

I’ve lost 1st 1lb so far. The scales – and the mirror have not always been my friend! Have you noticed too that they don’t make mirrors like they used to πŸ˜‰

After week 1 I went and bought my ‘mother of the bride’ dress in the size below. I’ve not tried it on yet. The wedding is in the US and we fly out on 6 May so i have until then.

I will do it, I am determined to.

• posted by hettyb
    on

hi all, reading your posts has encouraged me as i too am only losing around 1 lb a week but it is certainly better than nothing and cravings for the wrong things do seem to have stopped

• posted by swaterswirl
    on

Hia everyone. I’m on day six. Lost 8 lbs so far. Not expecting much of next few weeks. Anything off is amazing. I have quite a bit to go. Not diabetic, but have been a carb and sugar addict since being pregnant in 2014… Gained weight and was at 17. 2 giving birth… Before starting bsd I was 14 st1 2. I’m currently 14. 4. I’ve had the most amazing headaches and dizziness along with catching a cold and being generally run down…. Must have been a terrible addict. I will say today that I had some iceberg lettuce. It was so sweet. I’m no longer craving sugar and my hunger pangs have reduced somewhat. Great… Weigh in next Sat… Will start more exercise after cold has gone. Currently walking pram approx 3 miles a day… πŸ˜„

• posted by TrishaDawn
    on

Hi everyone, it was interesting to read of other people’s problems with constipation. It’s always been a bit of an issue with me, but after a few days on this diet, it was a huge problem. I thought it was just me. I thought I might have to go back to more cereals and larger amounts of beans, lentils etc. They always worked for my digestive system, but left me hungry a couple of hours later.
    I started taking psyllium husks mixed into low calorie drinks, and eating as many high fibre/low calorie vegetables as I can fit into my 800 cals. Cauliflower, broccoli, sprouts and broad beans provide quite a bit of fibre. Also processed wheat bran, not wheat bran cereal, the raw stuff, can be mixed into yogurt.
    I lost over 2 kilos in the first week, but had a few hiccups at the beginning of my second week. I’ve got them sorted now, and the scales have begun moving downwards again. I don’t mind if my weightloss isn’t as fast as others’, as long as I’m losing.

• posted by FoFi
    on

Anita, good news pears are fine, and you can have some of your other fruits. Page 114 – “Avoid too many sweet fruits: apples, pears and berries are fine…”. So I think that you could have a pear every day if you wanted and the odd bit of the others would be fine too, providing you included the calories in your 800.

• posted by Spirit
    on

It’s good to read about other people’s journeys on this plan – keep em coming!

Well I plucked up courage this morning and after my shower I tried on (for the first time) my mother-of-the-bride dress. I’d tried on the larger size in store and bought the size 12. So I’m happy to report that it fits!!

Still going to continue to lose even more though…

• posted by Rubbu
    on

Hi all
    It’s great to hear other people’s progress and thoughts on how you have tackled personal challenges.mlots of food for thought!!
    I cut my calories dramatically early part of this week because on Thursday I had a corporate event at posh London hotel and didn’t want to restrict what I ate. In total I had 8 glasses of champagne over 10 hours (my old self could drink a lot more), for afternoon tea I had four finger sandwiches, a mini scone and for dinner I ate all my halibut starter, quarter of the beef fillet and only a teaspoon of the pudding. My old self would have eaten everything!! For breakfast I had a protein packed full English no carbs which kept me going all day. Both days went to the gym for interval cardio and some weights. After all that I have only put on a pound when my actually weekly weigh in is tomorrow. I am now back on 800.
    This week (week 6) I will try 16:8 fasting every day and see if that accelerates the weight loss and inches off the waist. I’ll let you know how I get on
    Trishadawn, I will heed your advice re constipation and fifo thanks for the info re fruit. Spirit many many congratulations on your dress fitting… That is fantastic news.. Just the sort of encourage you need to keep going to not only loose the weight but adopt a healthier life style for the longer term.
    Swatsrswirl and hettyb keep going … You have both made great progress
    Let me know how you all get on this week. If you are struggling… Post it here … Let’s see if we can help
    Here’s to eating pears but getting rid of the pear shape πŸ˜€
    Anita xx

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Hi Anita

Well done on successfully negotiating the corporate event. You were clearly very mindful of what you needed to do and it worked for you. The great thing is a pound is neither here nor there on this programme, it will be gone as quickly as it came.
    I just wanted to say that the 16/8 is a way of life for me and I find it incredibly easy. I stop eating between 7 and 8 in the evening and don’t start again until after 12 noon, quite often not until 2pm. Its as if my stomach doesn’t wake up until my first meal so the longer I postpone eating, the longer I don’t feel any hunger at all. It also makes food choices a lot easier as I am not looking for ‘breakfast’ type stuff. Even after these 8 weeks, I plan to continue with the 16/8 for maintenance.
    Give it a try and see what you think. You might have to persevere for a couple of days but I hope you find it as easy as I do.

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Oh, and keep up your fluids during your fasting time, that’s really important!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi Janet1973, how many calories do you eat on the 16:8 plan? I’m not at maintenance yet, but I’m wondering if I might have the odd 16:8 day while I’m on the 800 diet and see how if it boosts my weight lose.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

If you’re going to try this 16 / 8 thing and you are T2D keep a close eye on the blood sugar levels. This could put you in hypo territory.

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Hi SunnyB
    I’m still on the 800 well, sort of, I’m in week five but last week I started counting carbs instead of calories so I am eating two to three times in my 8 hour window, as much as I need to not be hungry but no more than 50 carbs. I would echo Bill’s concerns if you are T2. I’m not so I don’t know about that. However, There is a website called diet doctor with a specific area for diabetics and I get a lot of information from that, including on the 16/8 so maybe that might help you too. Let us know how you get on.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi Janet1973
    Luckily I am not diabetic or pre type 2, but I am over weight and have been for too long – hence my determination to shift some as soon as possible. I’m sort of doing 16:8 I guess, as I don’t generally eat after 8pm and rarely have any breakfast until after nine. I have started counting carbs from today, as I my weight has been pretty much static for almost two weeks. I don’t think I am eating much in the way of carbs, but I figured if I don’t count them I’m not going to know. I was thinking to keep carbs around 30g daily, is that too low? I had a quick look at the diet doctor site and couldn’t see any advice on that front. There are some nice looking recipes on there though, which I’m sure I will be trying soon. I’ll post progress as and when I have any success.

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Hi SunnyB
    You can go as low as 20g if you want to but I have managed to get into ketosis at 50g and have been there since last Tuesday. On the website, there is an article with three plates which show you what 20, 50 and I think it was 100g looks like. The interesting thing is that meat, fish, eggs, butter and oils don’t contain any carbs so you are only looking to count from veg and pulses. So if you can manage on 30g go for it. I also lose weight very slowly. I lost three pound between Monday and Friday but nothing since. But it seems quite a common pattern from the other posts I have read. I am also using coconut oil as part of my experiment, I have been logging my progress in another thread called ‘ketostix’. I’d like to think that its helping with the weight loss but I need to continue a bit longer to be sure. There’s a recipe on the diet doctor site for something called oopsie bread which I thought I might try.

• posted by Rubbu
    on

Hi Sunnyvale
    Watch the diet doctor videos. He says low carb means 20g per day but no more than 50g, no fruit for woman and 16:8 fasting. He doesn’t state how many calories per day but to incorporate natural fats into your diet and eat ONLY when you are hungry. Hope this helps.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Well I have just finished my calculations for my last meal of the day – and hence totals for the day – and calories have topped out at 798.5 and carbs at just 15.23. Had originally planned to keep the cals lower today, but I have been hungry for some reason. Will see how I feel tomorrow and hopefully drop the calories down a bit then. Will be interesting to see how the carbs go tomorrow as well.

Thanks for all the info and support.

• posted by Janet1973
    on

That low number of carbs should be enough to get you results without cutting your calories any further. Fingers crossed for you.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

The scales say 1lb less to day, but I’m not cheering yet – let’s see what the result is at the end of this week. Hopefully it’s going to continue to drop and I can report a couple of pounds loss for this week, but we’ll wait and see. Not counting chicken yet. Thanks for the advice and support though Janet1973.

• posted by ali2on
    on

I’m on my 4th day, so not checked any weight loss or anything yet, but a little concerned that the first 2 days I struggled to actually get up to 800 calories! On day 3 I made it by having scrambled eggs for breakfast.

I have to admit to feeling a bit more hungry today, but also head-achy, so I’m probably not getting enough water which will account for some of the hunger, too.

Also, does anyone have suggestions of what to drink when out with friends? Seems a bit bad to go to a pub and only drink water.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Soda with a slice of lime, spritzer with just a drop of white wine occurs to me
    Take paracetamol for the headaches, they will go away soon and make sure to get that 2 to 3 litres of fluid in you, it really does help with the headaches and constipation.
    The hunger will go too, it’s just carb cravings really
    Best of luck, you will be smaller this time next week.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi Ali2on

If you are struggling to get up to the 800cals, check your fat intake – are you using full fat products? This and the water intake should help with the hunger pangs. The fat helps to make you feel sated longer and also helps your body to shift into fat burning mode. It’s okay to be under the 800 occasionally, but probably not wise to run permanently on a much lower level. It will peak and trough though, as there will probably be days along the way, when you go a bit over on the 800.

Someone gave me a tip the other day, to draw little pictures of 5 glasses and 5 cups and check them off as you drink them. It’s certainly helped me to hit the minimum target.

Look forward to hearing how you have done when you get to weigh-in.

• posted by Wombat
    on

Hi Ali2on,

Are you eating from the Menu Planner? If this is your first week it helps you to get an understanding of what foods you can eat, how to prepare and only when it’s stated in the recipe do you use anything low cal! Fluid intake is essential but Dr Mosley states that if you struggle with water, you can drink no added sugar squash, also included are tea, coffee, etc – if you use skimmed milk this has a higher calorie count than say Almond Milk! Also, he states that if you really have to you can have no added sugar pop and a glass of red wine is acceptable, as it’s based on a Mediterranean diet and red wine is an antioxidant!
    Must admit my first week I did not crave anything, second week had a few silly slip-ups! ….but wasn’t hunger just cravings so now using no added sugar Hartley’s jellies and 10 almonds throughout my day for suppressing those cravings!

Love the ‘5 glasses + 5 cup’ idea – may use that myself! …thanks SunnyB

Good luck ….we will do this πŸ˜‰ x

• posted by Rubbu
    on

Hi all
    I have been fasting 16:8 this week. Relatively easy for me as I have never been a big breakfast person. Pleased to say I have lost 3 lbs this week and have lost total 12 lbs in 6 weeks despite the slip up over the course of this week of 2x slices of bread, shortbread biscuit, small jam tart and half a twix…. May have been spurred on by not eating breakfast and not eating much fruit (only had raspberries, half an apple).
    Plan to stick to 16:8 and reduce the slips… Eat fruit rather than refined rubbish and increase natural fats.
    My family have started to cut down on sugar. My teen son who devoured biscuits and cakes is snacking on fruit, salami, smoked salmon and cheese for his evening snack. I want his waist …. 28 inches !!!
    Xx

• posted by AD1966
    on

Hi all, have been reading the thread as am about to stock up on foods for the plan so I can start tomorrow. It’s encouraging to hear all the success stories and like you I’m not diabetic but carry weight around my middle so want to nip it in the bud! Silly question – are grains included in foods to avoid?

Wish me luck πŸ˜†

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi AD1966 – by and large, yes grains are included in foods to avoid, although quinoa is fine because of it’s protein content. This makes quite a good substitute for rice. I think buckwheat is okay in small amounts very occasionally – it is quite high in carbs though, so be cautious. Grains such as wheat, corn (maize) etc. are best avoided. The key is keeping carbs low and fats and proteins high on this diet.

Good luck and be sure to make full use of the forum, there’s lots of advise and tips and a huge amount of support. Let us know how you get on.

• posted by Rubbu
    on

From diet doctor…..
    Wheat is not a vegetable, it is a grain. And anything made with flour contains lots of rapidly digested carbs. Avoid this as much as possible when on a low-carb diet. Whole grain products are just less bad – it’s like cigarettes with filter on them.
    Bread, pasta, rice, cookies etc. are not vegetables, and they are full of carbohydrates.

High fructose corn syrup – the sugary nutrient in soda – does come from plants (corn). But it is not a vegetable and it most certainly is not low carb.

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Hi Rubbu
    As well as being quite entertaining (not to mention a bit dishy) I also think the diet doctor makes a lot of sense and complements the bsd 800 very well. His videos are well worth watching and the recipes are also useful.

• posted by Rubbu
    on

Hi Janet 1973
    Agreed!!! Andrea is my daily dose of eye candy and motivation πŸ˜€

• posted by Rubbu
    on

Janet1973
    How did you get on this week with carb counting and not calorie counting?

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Rubbu, a pound and a half off which is great for me – and effortless. I’ve always been sceptical of diets that say you don’t have to count and in the past they have never worked for me. But only counting carbs is definitely the way to go for me. Before I started carb counting I was getting a bit hung up on the calories in things like olive oil. But now I don’t care. I have taken particular inspiration from the DD’s plates with the butter on and that’s how I have been eating my vegetables. They taste so much better and I’m sure I am able to digest them better and get more nutrients from them.

How about yourself? What are your thoughts?

• posted by Janet1973
    on

I should add – I have stuck to 50 carbs. I could go lower if I gave up my lattΓ©s πŸ˜‰

• posted by Rubbu
    on

Hi Janet1973
    Great new on weight loss! Well done !!!!
    I have fasted 16 hrs every day this week but like all weeks have monitored how g of carb, protein, fat and sugar I have had each day to derive a weekly average. The week when I gained 2 lbs my protein was low 5g, fat 24g and carb 49g average cal 860 (this was the week I ate what I liked at a company event). This week I have not yet averaged the nutrition.
    All other weeks my carbs averaged to under 50g but I have not yet tried 20g as per DD strict carbs.
    I think your approach is good but just watch the protein intake as well fat.
    I still struggle to add fats to my diet.. I have had decades of cutting out fat, (butter, fat/skin on meat or fish, low fat everything) but started to fry onions in butter and will also try butter with veg too.
    Could you replace your latte with coffe and full cream.. According to mfp mug of black filter coffee and 50ml of full fat cream is 3G of carb whereas espresso cup of latte is 9g carbs.
    Anita xx

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Thanks Anita, sounds like you are pretty organised. I know what you mean about the fat thing – its changing a deeply ingrained habit isn’t it. Thanks for the suggestions too, will have to consider the cream in the coffee – I have this weird stomach pain thing around cream so I haven’t ventured as far as cream yet. I’m even a bit tentative about full fat milk. But I’m thinking I still have a steady weight loss without too much deprivation. A girl’s gotta have a vice!

Well, all the best for this next week. Keep in touch, with the good and the bad stuff (if there is any!), I’m loving all these conversations with like minded people. I’ve got a week off this week and am sofa shopping at Ikea Leeds for my new holiday let apartment so I’ve got a few exciting weeks ahead of me playing house!

• posted by AnnaandAlfie
    on

Hi there,

I have found all your comments really encouraging – I am also not diabetic but need to kick-start 25kg weight shift. The next week of so could be a bit wobbly due to family commitments but I am going to give it a go!

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Hi anna, just do what you can when you can, knowing its better than doing nothing at all πŸ˜‰

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Hi SunnyB
    How did you get on with your carb counting since the 15th? How do you feel about it now?

• posted by ali2on
    on

Now 7 days done, and I’ve lost 6 pounds πŸ™‚ haven’t re-measured my waistline yet, but it must be getting better!
    I’ve found it easier to get my calories by including more fats and protein (cheese, eggs, meat).
    I’ve had a wee bit of a naughty day today with chips at lunch time out with friends. I did get a burger with no roll, though.
    Enjoying a wee glass of red wine (inside my calorie count) this evening πŸ™‚

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Very well done Ali2on, thats an amazing result. Whats a few chips between friends? Back on it tomorrow and more great results!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi Janet1973
    Thanks so much for touching base – very much appreciated. I have been tracking carbs daily and had seemed to consolidate a 2lb loss during this last week. However, I think I have really screwed up this w/e! Had a 30th birthday celebration for my daughter yesterday and I was approx. 120cals and 5g carbs over – inc. a couple of glasses of champagne. So I though, no problem, be good today …… another disaster! Somehow I have topped today out by being 150cals(!!!) over …….. AAAHHHH!!!! On the carbs, I was well under 20g at 15 – mainly because most of today’s cals came from fats and protein based foods.

I’m so annoyed with myself and fully expecting to see the 2lb back on when I do my main weigh-in tomorrow morning. I have a wedding to attend next Friday and then we go out to Turkey at the end of the following week. Trying not to feel a bit doomed to fail right now. I have it in mind to stick to v. low carb while we are away and only have the very occasional glass of wine or brandy, but it feels scary.

Determined not to give in, but is that enough?

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Hi SunnyB
    I can really feel your pain in what you have written and I have been there so many times myself. I wish I had a crystal ball to see what your next weigh-in will tell you but in its absence, lets try a little perspective. So you went over your calories – but only to around 1000? That’s still a very low cal diet and your carbs were well within ketosis range. I think what is happening here is your own little devil is trying to make you feel so guilty that you head for catastrophic eating. The 800/20 is quite strict so when we have just a little tiny bit that feels naughty, it sends us running for the hills. But you really haven’t been that naughty. I might be sticking my neck out here but I really think you will be ok. Any SLIGHT gain will be water not fat – you absolutely haven’t taken on board enough calories for fat to reappear. So, my lovely, don’t listen to that little devil, he wants to derail you with cries of ‘whats the point??’ Your plan for your time away is a sound one. But go and enjoy yourself, have what you feel like having at the time and know that the easiest weight loss plan you have ever done is waiting for you when you get back. And you still have time to lose some before you go. I firmly believe in life is too short but not yolo cos I’m a bit of a Buddhist πŸ˜‰

• posted by Janet1973
    on

I nearly had a small Yorkshire pudding with dinner tonight…then I read the packet…15 grams carbs…it stayed in the freezer… (apologies to all those who would cook from scratch).

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi Janet1973
    Thank you so much for the perspective and kind words. I will let you know what happens tomorrow and don’t worry, I’m not about the start scoffing down choccies and biscuits! It’s not so much the little devil, as my annoyance with myself at not being in control. I know I can do this, I’ve proved that over the first three weeks after all. You are right of course about being easier on myself while I’m away and having the easiest weight loss plan to come back too, but I’m determined not to completely trash all achieved so far whilst doing so.
    Well done on resisting the Yorkshire. I’m in the habit of looking at the carb counts now and it makes it much easier to put things back and resist! I too do not believe in yolo – used to do Regression Hypnosis.
    Will update on the weigh-in tomorrow.

• posted by Janet1973
    on

I can’t wait to know how it goes for you tomorrow. I don’t think you will struggle while you are away. You have changed your mindset not just your diet so I think you’ll find it very easy to avoid the carbs which gives you a bit of licence for the odd snifter. But that’s all to come, we’ll concentrate on this week first. Everything crossed for you. Totally agree on the checking labels. I would never have thought there was so many carbs in one tiny yorkie pud! I’ve just had an old clothes fest though, trying on stuff that didn’t fit 6 weeks ago. Very satisfying – I have ‘new’ things to wear and no guilt as no money was spent!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi Janet1973
    I almost daren’t believe it, but this morning the scales showed me a total of 2.2lb loss for the week!!! So over all, I have lost a total of 9.2lb since starting the process. Not as much as many at the half way point, but I’ll take it – a great improvement as far as I’m concerned. And the tape measure shows a very slight improvement too! Clothes are feeling more comfortable and I’m almost back in my small jeans (can already do them up, but a bit too muffin toppy) and I bravely tried on a dress I was thinking I might wear (if it fitted) for the wedding at the end of the week and it fits really nicely again.
    Strangely, when I checked average daily calorie intake for last week, it only came out at 694! I guess in my panic that I have gone over two days running, I had missed the fact I had been under on a few days earlier in the week. As you say, it’s all about perspective and mine got kind of skewed there for a while. Thank you for being there and talking sense, when I was not able to do that for myself.
    Anyway, to say I’m now in a good mood is an understatement and it makes for a great start to the week. I can now feel comfortable about attending the wedding and will totally be keeping a close check on consumption for the early part of the week.
    Thanks again Janet1973

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Woohoo SunnyB! I couldn’t be more pleased for you! What a brilliant result – even better than you thought! I must get some scales that do .2s! Mine only register half pounds. But that’s a kilo this week and you are averaging a kilo a week too. Never mind comparing to others, whatever they manage is great for them, its what you manage that matters to you and I bet this is the quickest you have ever lost weight. You have every right to be chuffed and I am so pleased to be along for the ride. I need to be as diligent as you – you are riding life’s rollercoaster and still losing weight. The best start to the week! You are going to smash it out of the ball park this week, you watch.

Please log in or register to post a reply.