Now in week 2

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Nella
    on

Just wanted to document my experience so far. This is now week 2. I have not felt hungry at all or a lack of energy yet or even any low sugar moments, which I was worried about. However the first four days I did have terrible nausea, which was not a side effect I was expecting. Is this because my body is detoxing from the carb overload it has had for so long? Anyway the nausea was so bad I did contemplate giving up the diet. But thankfully I have stuck with it. Weighed myself at the end of week 1 and to my delight and surprise I have lost 7 lbs!

I don’t know what it has done to my sugar levels yet. I was diagnosed with diabetes in March (but probably had it much longer) and have an irrational fear of needles so cannot bring myself to test my sugar levels. The very thought of it stresses me out. I am on metformin, supposed to be working on taking my dose up to four tablets a day. Currently on 3 tablets a day but thought instead of upping it to four I will try this diet instead.

Encouraged by the weight loss so I am really really hoping it will reverse the diabetes too. Still a little in shock that I have been diagnosed as diabetic, and maybe a little in denial too. I don’t want this illness for life. More than anything I want this diet to work.

Anyway, to all who are just starting out or about to start, take hope, it has definitely worked in terms of weight loss so far for me. So here’s hoping it will work for each and every one of us!

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Welcome to the posts and the BSD Nella! You have arrived in just the right place! Best wishes for your continuing success and getting the diabetes under control. There is a lot of good support here (also humor, especially around cauliflower!😜) — keep reading, keep posting, keep losing!

• posted by Janeycoughdrop
    on

Hi Nella, all contributions to the ‘Failed Cauliflower Recipes’ cookbook are welcome… you’ll find out what that’s about in another thread 😉

• posted by Nella
    on

Thank you both! What a welcoming start! I’m intrigued now about this cauliflower thread!

• posted by josie53
    on

well done i am the same,although not lost as much weight as you, i shall persevere. I am up to 2 Metformin a day and don’t want this for the rest of my life. I feel fuzzy headed sometimes and am told that i have to increase my tablets to 4 again not happy about it.

I think that i need to start weighing things more carefully, also trying to do more exercise.

• posted by Nella
    on

Josie53 I am so glad to hear from a fellow diabetic who is not happy about being on tablets. Hearing that metformin eventually stops the kidneys from working properly has really scared me into this diet.

Hang in there. I haven’t done any exercise yet as by the time I get home from work I am starting to feel quite tired. I think I may have lost 7 lbs because being vegetarian I have been living off salads and soup mainly with small portions of cheese.

It will be great to hear how you are doing. We can do this! Let’s get rid of the need for metformin!! Good luck!

• posted by Nettle
    on

Hi Nella

Great start for you. Don’t forget to measure your body shape, you will see an amazing difference relatively quickly. About the needle thing, I am a nurse, most of the population have a needle phobia including my dear daughter who has a serious case. Poor kid had to put up with me cajoling her thinking she may grow out of it. I understand it better now. With the blood sugar testing would it help you to think of it as a sewing needle stab which we do inadvertently? The lancet is a tiny thing and all over before you know it. It would be reinforcing for you to know what the BS score is as it goes down, and also a way to manage the medication more precisely. It will take awhile to adjust to the diagnosis of Diabetes but by taking a good long read of these posts you will see the absolute success many fine folk are having.

Today I commenced week 16 of the 8 week diet, it has been so good for me I am sticking to it until I decide to join the 5:2 crowd. Weight loss is 12.5kg and huge lumps off the waist etc. When I go out to lunch today I am wearing my new skinny jeans. Tah dah!

I don’t have diabetes but my thyroid condition has improved out of sight these past few valuable months.

Cauliflower: I tried a cauliflower pizza base recipe, it’s OK.

Here’s to your success Nella.

Nettle.

• posted by Nella
    on

Thank you Nettle for your encouragement. Measuring my body shape is a good idea. As for needles….I am trying to overcome my fear of them, as you are right, regular testing is the only way to find out how my blood sugar levels are doing.

Wow, impressed that you are on week 16! That’s some motivation and commitment. And well done for getting into your skinny jeans!! That must be such a wonderful feeling. It’s great to hear inspiring stories like this, will help to keep me going and motivated.

Good luck with the rest of your diet, hope you get to move to the 5:2 crowd soon!

Please log in or register to post a reply.