No weight loss happening?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Hawkeye
    have a look at Jenny Ruhls book ‘low carb problems solved. ‘ very interesting.
    Constipation is normal because we ve used up the glycogen in our muscles thus reducing the water in our muscles including gut muscles. Therefore it becomes less efficient. She suggests Huge portions of green veg ( michael says half your plate and dont weigh them. I assume therefore don’t count the calories) not just dense foods like meat and cheese. Psyllium husk is also recommended. Bran. Flax seed. Magnesium. ( milk of magnesia)
    She covers all the other problems in detail too. – like weight loss stalling!
    Penny

• posted by Tallyhoo
    on

Hi people, Just joined this group. I have type 2 diabetes and have had for 10 years – on usual drugs – have really ignored the situation but now in late 50’s have acknowledged I need to do something to help myself. Started on this 4 weeks ago and in that time followed it to the letter. I love the food!! It’s the first diet I feel I can carry on with because I actually enjoy it and (so far) don’t feel the need for bread, pasta, cakes etc which was my staple diet. I have lost 1 st 3 lbs in that time but more importantly my fasting blood sugars are down from 10.6 – 5.4 and that was in 3 weeks alone! I think I may need to visit my doc to see if I can start to reduce my metformin – soooo exciting a possibility!!

I HAVE STALLED though – never had this happen to me before………..but thank you for your posts as I know I can carry on and am looking forward to the day when more pounds come falling off………..read various googled articles which were depressing ie eat less, exercise even more! Lovely to have the support and share stories.

• posted by Fi
    on

Tallyhoo, like you I am in my late 50s and have lived with diabetes since my early 50s and feel that if I don’t do something about this now I never will! You have done very well so far so keep going – your BS results are amazing. If I can stop taking the evening glicazide and my lunchtime metformin I will be over the moon but have a way to go yet! Good luck and keeping reading the forums – I find they are a great motivation.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Tallyhoo, it’s just your body’s last ditch effort at fighting back.
    Stick with it hun, as long as you are putting in less calories than you’re burning, the weight loss will begin again – it has to.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Hey Penny
    that’s something I don’t understand, we are told 800 calories then Michael make the sweeping ststement about filling half your plate with veg but don’t weigh them (I don’t anyway)
    Thing is, there are calories in there but also, who knows what size plates are people using ? A small tea plate half full holds a lot less than a large oval dinner plate.

• posted by olliej
    on

Hi tallyhoo and fi I am also in my late 50’s just coming to the end of my 4th week, weight loss has been slow, but cholestrol down to 3.1 and fat around the middle is on the move (clothes feeling loser) have run out of my test strips, so need to order some more next blood test due in April so hoping to see a big difference keep up the good work

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Tallyhoo
    Welcome!
    Great sugar readings!
    I suggest you read Jenny Ruhls little book ‘ low carb problems solved'( £3 on kindle) which deals with stalling and everything else.
    Best of luck
    Penny

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Bill
    Yes it’s not clear. I think it doesn’t matter how much kale or broccoli etc you eat because the benefits outweigh any calories. For example, kale has vitamins A, B1, B2, B3, B6, B9, C, K, calcium, copper, iron, magnesium, manganese, potassium, and fibre. Broccoli has the same but B5 instead of B3. 15 important nutrients for a few calories. The same goes for all the green veg, with variations in bits and minerals.
    So think there’s no need to limit it. As Jenny Ruhl says, no one ever got fat eating a huge helping of kale!
    Penny

• posted by gateofheaven
    on

Tallyhoo and Bill. I think that each body is different. I can see the reasoning behind Dr. Mosley’s suggestion that greens not be included. However, what i found when weighing them is that yesterday I ate 71 calories worth! Since i’m working this program perhaps more tightly than most, I am actually counting the greens because i eat so much. I have kept my calories quite close to 800 every day. I also am only doing this careful a process for the first 8 weeks. After that, my doc wants me to cut back to 2 days a week. On the other 5 days, i won’t count anything (and watch portion per Dr. Mosley) so that i don’t get jaded like I have in the past when counting calories for 14 months and losing 40 pounds only to regain them. I never wanted to count calories again, lol. But here i am doing so and loving it because the quick weight loss compared to anything I’ve ever experienced is happy motivation.

I learned early on, for me, that I had to minimize grains. No favorite porridge. But i’ll have some in a couple of weeks. Rare bread for convenience when i needed to take a meal with me.

Last week, which was week 6 for me, I didn’t lose weight. Just kept going, trusting the process, and today the weight loss started up again.

I am now thinking ahead to see how to implement the more free flowing regular Mediterranean diet. I’ll still have another 92 pounds to lose, 🙁 I can see myself indulging too much! So, must think it through thoughtfully.

• posted by Hawkeye1
    on

Thanks, great idea, I will download it now. Cut the carbs and dropped another 2.5lbs so now lost 1 stone! Just hitting a combo of flax seed, chia seeds and hemp seeds in my morning yogurt so hope that will start sorting out the issue!
    I was hitting loads of greens but have not done so for a week or so, best get back on the case.
    Appreciate the advice and hope it is going well for you too?

• posted by Lolo
    on

Totally down with you on the flax and chia seeds Hawkeye! LOTS of fibre needed here! lol xx

• posted by Rubytuesday
    on

Enjoying reading all the advice to this. I appear to have gained (1.5lb) in week 2. It is my time of the month and I did have a sickness bug in week 1 so my weight loss was a bit too good (7lb and I’m not that huge – just over 10 stones) so I’m trying not to get disheartened and keep going. Am quite constipated so more fibre and water required I think. I also had some dark chocolate a couple of evenings and my calories crept up to 900ish which probably isn’t a good idea. Will reign this all in and hope for a good loss over the next week. Good luck everyone.

• posted by Angiebee
    on

Hi there, glad I have read through these posts. I started 2 weeks ago and have lost 10 1/2 lbs and 2 inches from my waist so well chuffed, but no weight loss this week but another inch off. I will definitely be following up on some of the tips. I have drunk more diary this week and not enough water, so that may be my problem. I do love the lettuce cups 😊

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Ruby
    Constipation is dealt with in Jenny Ruhls book ‘low carb problems solved’ (£3 on kindle)
    I’d recommend loads of green veg- michael says ‘half a plate full and don’t weigh it’- confusingly- also psyllium husk and ground flax seeds. Which can be sprinkled on anything! I have a tablespoon of each every morning.
    Good luck
    Penny
    PS of course, being constipated will make you a bit heavier!😳

• posted by gateofheaven
    on

I did have to work up slowly on the flax seed and am now up to the highest recommendation my doc said to take which is 3 Tablespoons of ground flax seed. a mighty 120 calories. I started out with my usual 1 1/2 Tbs, but have needed more as the diet progressed. That with greens and plenty of water and some salt per Dr Mosley. I’m allergic to psyllium, so can’t comment there. I’ve got 8 days to go to finish the 8 weeks, and my guess is that it will all normalize by going onto the 5/2 portion.

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi GofH
    Michael also recommended milk of magnesia to balance the magnesium levels, so I take that too.
    Penny

• posted by gateofheaven
    on

I take magnesium taurate from douglas labs. Also magnesium citrate works well. They help the body absorb calcium (along with vit D) and also act as a laxative. I was told to take 1,200 mg of calcium and 600 mg of magnesium – split doses during the day. the magnesium taurate was a life saver, lol :).

• posted by Spirit
    on

hi,

well i’ve just completed my third week. These last 2 weeks i’ve lost nothing at all. I’ve read the little book on why people stall and made adjustments. I’ve eaten less and less this last week and stepped up my exercise. I already swim 3 times a week, go for a walk lunchtimes and do the Davina fit in 7 most mornings.

I think what I am going to do now is go back to the 5.2 that i did successfully 2 years ago but with BSD adaptations. That is, i’ll do 800 cals 5 or4 days a week and 4-500 cals on the other 2 or 3 days.

I’m not diabetic, perhaps that has some bearing on it I don’t know. I never ate a lot of sweet sugary things anyway.

• posted by gateofheaven
    on

I am concerned. I think that this is too strict. I wonder if it would help if you looked at how many carbs you are eating? Most of us eat under 50 carbs – this triggers fat burning. Then we eat 50 grams of protein per Dr. Mosley and add fat to each meal. We don’t go under 800 calories. Many of us cut out grains for this short 8 weeks. Do take care.

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi spirit
    That was happening to me for the last week.im on day 26. i went through all the steps I’ve done every day looking at MFP. Found I’d only hit target 4 times in 24 days! I’ve stepped up my steps yesterday (8000) and voila today I have lost half a pound. Also now refusing tiny bits of my partners carbs as in ‘have a little taste of this cake’ etc.
    I think Jenny Ruhl says this is the sort of thing that causes stalling (?). Anyway maybe it’s worked for me but sadly not for you. 😞
    Good luck
    Penny

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi GofH
    I agree with you. So important to watch the carbs like a hawk. No porridge!
    Penny

• posted by Spirit
    on

hi, I use myfitnesspal and my carbs are under 50 per day. so no idea why it’s not happening. Well the first week did, just not since. I’ve been out for the day meeting my daughter for lunch. I had a small mixed grill without the chips, but with 2 grilled tomatoes and mushrooms. That will be the extent of my carbs for the day.

• posted by Spirit
    on

just checked my TDEE score to see how many cals are needed just to maintain my current weight, and it is 1,590, well i’m having under half that every day.

shrugs

• posted by Rubytuesday
    on

I’m pleased to say that actually after weighing and thinking I’d put on 1.5lbs, I had a cup of tea and a wee and weighed again and I had actually remained the same. And I did it a few times to make sure. That’s less disappointing! Having lost 7lb the week before I’m happy to remain the same for week 2, especially as it was my time of the month. Thanks for all the advice re constipation though, v helpful as that is becoming a problem. However I think I’m getting low iron so will start up again with spatone, which may counteract any effort to relieve things 😕
    Good luck spirit, I’m sure your loss will start again. It’s hard to stay motivated when it’s not happening but I hope you can. Doing 5:2 with 800 cals on the other days sounds too extreme… Let us know how you get on this week X

• posted by Spirit
    on

Hi Rubytuesday, I’m glad to see that you are doing ok too 🙂

Constipation is a big old problem for some of us isn’t it! I’ve got flaxseed now and pychullum sp? which I have a spoonful of each. It’s not having much effect yet I must say. Note to self to go back to using Colon cleanse. It’s got alow vera in it so at least it’s natural.

Well I’ve lost at least a pound since Saturday. I say at least, as it will be more when I eventually make friends with my loo again 😉

Yesterday I had 340 kcals and 36 of those were carbs. I did my Davina fit in 7 first thing, swam later and went for a walk in the afternoon. I also nipped to the shops and bought one of those fitness bands to measure steps etc.

oh and in the morning, I also read bits from a book (will find the name of if anyone is interested, it’s on my Kindle at the mo) 2 Drs = extensive research on low carb diets. the following bit I found most interesting and I hope might help others in the same situation.

“when humans cut back in calories, they tend t lose weight quickly at first. Some of it is water due to reduced glycogen reserves (the body stores 3-4 grams of water along with each gram of glycogen. But then if all subsequent weight loss comes from fat, and a 500 kcal per day deficit results in a pound per week of loss, this weight variability within a 4 pound range can lead to a great deal of frustration for the individual.

this 4 pound range in weight variability could completely mask 4 weeks of excellent diet adherence at 1 pound per week of fat loss. some people are clearly sticking to much more stringent diets, plateau for up to 2 weeks and then abruptly show a 5lb loss This is explained by the unpredictable shifts in body water content”

So, that describes me I think. I am waiting for the whooosh effect!

• posted by Tallyhoo
    on

Hi All, Posted on 23rd Feb that I had stalled, have just weighed in and lost 2.2lbs in the last week so I’m pleased with that, my fasting blood sugar is still down to 5.4 and overall on this 8 week plan have so far lost 1st 6.2lbs (even the .2 is important!) 4 more weeks to go and so glad I didn’t give up when the weight stopped dropping. Mind you, I just like the diet…………go out for a curry every weekend – that’s my treat – just have chicken tikka or shashlick with a poppadom and glass of red – really enjoy it!

• posted by gateofheaven
    on

I am very concerned when i read that Spirit is only eating 340 calories. I have a motto: take care of body first, diet is second.
    My doctor told me that he only wanted me on the 800 calories for 8 weeks. He said otherwise my thyroid function would go down. We tested it last week and it has gone down; it’s low normal, down from high normal (i take thryoid). I am on day 2 of the 8th week.

To keep things moving, I have worked myself slowly up to 3 Tablespoons of ground flax seed, drink lots of water, add extra salt. On 3 occasions I have added xylitol because it causes ummm, things to move. It is ok’d by Dr. Mosely, although he doesn’t suggest it because we are trying to ease away from sweets. I find it startlingly sweet now. But, sometimes I just need it. Greens help a LOT.

When i went out to lunch one day i had what i thought was the perfect meal. Pho soup – a beef broth based soup with veggies and small slices of beef. It tasted sweet, so sugar must have been in it. It slowed my weight loss down for days. So, since i was only doing this stringently for 8 weeks, I no longer go out. (i’ll start the 5/2 with two days of 800 and the rest normal eating – i want to succeed in the long run and at my height will need to lose 90 more pounds) i do make special things at home. This mornings 2 egg omelet cooked with 1 tsp coconut oil, garlic, asparagus and chevre cheese. A special treat that will keep me feeling full for hours.

I did have one full week without weight loss. I am counting every calorie (including greens, although Dr. Mosley indicates we don’t have to). I am writing everything down. I stay very close to 800 every day. a couple of days were 50 over. I keep my carbs to under 50 a day and adjust them if necessary. Low carb PLUS fat = fat burning. My sleep was being disrupted and my doc said to put some carbs at the end of the day and that did the trick. I always eat fats and proteins to stabilize the blood sugar before I add the carbs.

Due to a back injury, i cannot exercise. My guess is that many of you are also building muscle which weighs more than fat.

I started out at 240.2 pounds. 54 3/4 ” waist. Today I am 213.8 pounds and 50 1/8″ waist. That’s all I’ve measured. But they are now using the regular sized blood pressure cuff at the doc’s! yea! My blood sugars went down from around 112 to low 70’s. My blood pressure is down.

Dr. Mosley did some good research to back up his suggestions. Please follow them! My family doc has a nutrition and endocrine background and sees that the program is good. I also have a health education background and have years dietary knowledge that frankly didn’t help me until this program.

I know the urge is to lose as much as possible, but i think some of you may actually be sabotaging your weight loss accidentally.

I am 65!

Wishing you all the very best.

Good luck!

• posted by gateofheaven
    on

By carbs in the evening, i mean legumes with veggies. Sometimes a kiwi. Always with fat. The pulses (legumes) are protein.
    This afternoon i added a small mandarin orange because my blood sugars were 71 (i have never used meds for the pre-diabetes).

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Ruby
    You could try Floradix for iron – doesn’t cause constipation!
    Penny

• posted by pmshrink
    on

HivSpirit
    That book sounds interesting. What s it called?
    Still waiting for the whoosh effect myself!
    Did you mean you only ate 340 cals in all and did loads of exercise? I suppose it’s safe if it’s not for long as people literally fast and don’t eat at all.
    Penny

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Spirit
    Re constipation.
    Michael advises also balance magnesium by taking milk of magnesia.
    Penny

• posted by Spirit
    on

Hello Penny, I found out about this book from another forum, it’s a bit wordy, but interesting. It’s called The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living; An Expert Guide to Making the Life Saving Benefits of Carbohydrate Restriction sustainable and Enjoyable. by Drs Jeff Volek and Dr Stephen Phinney. How is your weight loss journey going?

Yes, on sunday all I ate was 340 kcals and yes to the exercise. but then when you thing back to the ‘celebrities’ in the ‘jungle’ who mostly lived on rice and beans with the occasional morsel of meat; they mostly lost shedloads of weight and for the most part, sat about most of the day.

I bought some Milk of magnesia on Saturday, so am trialling that.

As of this morning, I’ve lost 2lb since Saturday, so will keep going on the extreme cal reduction for a few more days yet. I bought my mother-of the bride dress after week 1 of 8lb loss. It doesn’t fit properly yet, I bought the size down, and is the size I should be and was in summer 2014.. well my top half is size 12 since my breast reduction surgery in August, I just need to get the bottom half to match!

Onwards and upwards, or is it downwards!

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi spirit
    Thanks for the info.
    I ll have a look.
    My weight loss is So slow. Only 6 lbs. I’m on day 30. Am I doing so
    something wrong? If so I don’t know what! But my waist has gone down 4″ which is good, though that happened a while ago. But I actually have a waist! I feel much better and my sleep has gone from crap to excellent which is huge.
    I haven’t seen the celebs in the jungle though I’ve heard of them!
    I can understand why yr doing the lower cals and I can see it wouldn’t be that difficult. And it’s working which is great.
    So good luck with your dress!
    Penny

• posted by Spirit
    on

Hi Penny,

slow weight loss is so frustrating isn’t it. When you read of some people on here losing masses of weight per week. However, in the Low Carb problems book she says that people who are Obese or morbidly obese consume enough calories per day to sustain their current size, so for arguments sake, say they are 4 stone overweight and consume about 3,500 cals a day just to sustain that. When they then switch to 800 per day, there is a massive deficit in calorie intake so they are going to lose weight quicker.

In the last book I read, it said that when you east low cal, you metabolism slows, and that exercise alone doesn’t increase it. I’m not sure about that one since on the Davina fit, if you do the HIIT 7 minute fatbuster, it does raise your metabolism and you burn fat during it and for a while after too. Maybe even you are not eating enough to boost your metabolism and yours has slowed right down? Possibly try for a day or so, eating more calories but still Mediterranean style?

I know it’s depressing when reading everyone else’s success stories and you are stuck. It kept me from reading for a few days I must say. However, stick with it and keep us posted.

Christina

• posted by Garden78
    on

Hi Penny and Spirit my weight loss is also slow but my body shaped has changed significantly and I feel more energised than I can remember. I’ve had to put 2 new notch in my belt as I’ve lost 3 inches! I also use the diet doctors site which is low carb and there’s a video on there about women over 50 outlining how it can be harder to shift the weight but persevere and it may take longer. I’ve been doing this a month and took a picture of myself when I started and one again yesterday . I can see the difference and my blood pressure is within the normal range without medication and my blood sugar is down from 10.3 to 7.0 . I think we have to just keep going and don’t just rely on the scales but on a broader range of indicators .

• posted by nidge64
    on

Hi Penny.
    Spirit is right about larger people losing more weight especially at the beginning.
    As a long distance Truck driver I have eaten crap for years consuming a vast amount of calories each day.
    I started 25 days ago and was 20st 9lbs and weighed myself Sunday and in total disbelief I was 18st 10 lbs.
    The first 2 weeks I lost 20 lbs and now my body weight is coming down the weight loss is slowing down.
    We are all different and my starting point was quite high compared to most people on BSD but eventually we all gain positive benefits from the program so I hope the other guys have given you inspiration.
    Keep up the good work and I hope the weight starts coming down again soon.
    Nidge

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Christina
    Thanks for the support.
    There seems to be different opinions about whether your metabolism slows on low cals. I think ? On trust me I’m a doctor they showed this not to be the case.
    Anyway although my weight loss is very slow it’s very welcome! I have also thought people must be eating a lot less, whereas I was on 1200 cals anyway. Yesterday I went under 11 stone by half a pound so that’s a nice milestone.
    Hope yr doing ok.
    Penny

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Garden
    Thanks for the encouragement
    As well over 50 I will look that up.
    Penny

• posted by Lolo
    on

Hi everyone, haven’t been on for about a week – so thought I’d send a quick update. I had a REALLY indulgent weekend last weekend as I had a weekend away with the girls! Although I have to say I didn’t eat any processed carbs like crisps & bread at all, which is a minor miracle as they were all there! I stuck to the low carb plan – although did increase my calorie intake to around 12-1400 of food as I was also drinking alcohol. I put on 2lb over the weekend, which I recognise was down to pure indulgence. So Straight away on Monday I was back on the plan & the 2lb has come off really quickly, and I am now back to losing weight again. I think this is a real boost as it definitely shows that you can still go and have a great time – but get back on it. 2.5 weeks in and I’m 10b down now. Couldn’t be happier.
    I have recognised that the more veggie you can go, coupled with medium/high good fats – the more effective I think it is. I found that last week I was eating a lot more protein than usual and my body really didn’t like it. So this week I have switched some of the meat protein for eggs & dairy, and I feel better.
    Like everyone else I have added in flax and chia seeds to my morning smoothie to help keep things ‘moving’ 😉 seems to be working ok now! I’m also having some green and blacks dark chocolate – which is helping to stave off my craving for the odd sweet thing here and there.
    It really sounds like everyone is doing an amazing job, don’t get disheartened when the weight loss slows down – re-evaluate and see if there are changes you can realistically make. If not, then be patient. I think everyone is achieving so much in such a short space of time it’s easy to let your expectations rise, when what you’re doing already is absolutely great. Have a fab day x

• posted by gateofheaven
    on

I google thyroid and calorie restriction and came up with the info below. My doc told me that with 800 calories for 8 weeks, my thyroid would likely go down and it did. From high normal to low normal after 7 weeks. He said that once I am on the 5/2 plan it should re-establish itself. See below.

http://cathe.com/how-low-calorie-diets-affect-thyroid-function

Your thyroid gland actually produces much more T4 than it does T3, but T3 is the most active form of thyroid hormone. Once your thyroid makes T4, it’s converted to active T3 when it reaches tissues in your body. It’s T3 that binds to receptors on cells to regulate your metabolism.

So, how does dieting and calorie restriction throw things off? When you drop your calorie intake too low or place your body under stress in other ways, through injury or illness, less T4 is converted to T3. Instead more is made into something called reverse T3.

The problem with reverse T3 is it isn’t active. What it does do is bind to the same receptors that T3 does and makes it difficult for T3 to bind. With reverse T3 keeping active T3 out of the picture, you burn less fat and carbohydrates and your metabolism, along with everything else, slows down. If you’re trying to lose body fat, this makes it quite a bit harder to achieve your objective. This type of thyroid dysfunction can be challenging to pick up on standard thyroid function blood tests unless your doctor measures reverse T3 levels.

Thyroid Hormones 101 – from Holtorfmed

Thyroid hormone plays an important role in metabolic function. While many patients are familiar with the thyroid stimulating hormone, or TSH, most are not aware that there are a number of thyroid hormones. TSH, created by the pituitary gland, tells the thyroid to make thyroxine. Thyroxine, or T4, is an inactive thyroid hormone that must be converted before it has an effect on the body. T4 can be converted to triiodothyronine (T3), the active hormone that has a metabolic effect on the body, or it can be converted to reverse T3, an inactive form of T3 that actually blocks the cell receptors for thyroid hormones, thus blocking the effect of T3. If a patient has too much RT3 in comparison to T3, that patient will be hypothyroid at the cellular level, with a reduced metabolic rate. Or, explained more simply, that patient will have difficulty losing weight and keeping weight off.

Studies Find Dieting Reduces Metabolism by as much as 25%

A study published in the American Journal of Physiology, Endocrinology and Metabolism found that a mere 25 days of calorie restriction resulted in a significant reduction in T4 to T3 conversion, with a 50 percent reduction in T3. And, as importantly, this study found that patients who experienced reduced T3 as a result of this calorie restriction actually saw a decrease in TSH, indicating an increase in thyroid hormone levels, when the opposite was actually true. The period of calorie restriction caused a clinically significant reduction of T3, which could potentially cause a person to be unable to lose weight or to regain weight already lost.

In a second study, published in the journal Metabolism, patients who had lost weight in the past had a significantly lower metabolism than other patients who were the same weight and had not gained or lost significant weight in the past year. The weight-loss patients had a metabolism that was 25 percent less that the comparable equal-weight person, with a metabolic rate that was more appropriate for someone who weighed 60 percent less than the weight-loss patient. Additionally, this reduction in metabolic rate was still present years later

A 25 percent reduction in metabolism is equivalent to an approximate deficit of 500 to 600 calories per day. Imagine reducing your caloric intake by 500 to 600 calories each day and not losing any weight. This is the effect that acute or chronic dieting can have on a person’s metabolism. And, looking at the effect from a different angle, a person who is experiencing a 25 percent reduction in metabolism not only would have difficulty losing weight, but actually would have to reduce their calorie intake even further just to keep from gaining a pound of weight each week.

• posted by gateofheaven
    on

I jokingly say that I know a lot about diets, but nothing about losing weight. I have lost 27.6 pounds since 1/10. I have been following Dr. Mosley’s diet as much as I understand it. 800 calories for the 8 weeks ending this Saturday. I have written down and weighed everything that I could. Since my thyroid function DID go down per blood tests from high normal to low normal as my nutrition-based doc predicted with this level of calorie restriction, I will be going to the 5/2 form of the diet in a few days. My doc predicts that the thyroid will normalize once I do that. My sense of the conversation with him was that he was watching for it with me and didn’t see any signs of thyroid dysfunction after 4 weeks. So it wasn’t tested until the 7th week.
    I am 65. Have been in an accident so cannot do meaningful exercise. I have pituitary insufficiency, which means that I do not produce most hormones and must take them. Have multiple autoimmune illnesses requiring high doses of prednisone and have had to go on even higher doses 3 times during this diet. I could have eaten the frig door the first two times and the third I did without a blink. By then I was solidly fat burning – I am eating “high” (how high can one go on 800 calories, lol), 50 grams protein and about 50 grams carbs. I had two slow downs. One after eating out which affected me for about 3 days and the other is a mystery that lasted a week. Then the weight loss started. I started out at 240.2, I am 5 3/4″. My blood sugars (unmedicated) went from 112 to mid 70’s around the 6th week and haven’t varied. I have a much clearer mind and more energy. Once I start the 5/2 I will follow Dr. Mosley’s suggestion and not count calories except for the two days of 800. Don’t want to get bored! I have 98 pounds to go! At my highest I was 260.2 – so this weekend I’ll likely make the 50 pound loss mark. About 28 of it on this diet. The first 20 were very hard to do. This bloodsugar diet has been a piece of cake!
    Wishing you all the very best.
    It does work if followed per Dr. Mosley’s research!

• posted by Lolo
    on

Hi everyone, How are you all doing?
    My week last week was a bit slow on the weightloss front – just 2lb down. Which in normal ‘weight loss terms’ would be great & I’d be really happy, but I am a little frustrated. I feel like I’ve reached that plateau everyone is talking about. Still I need to keep some determination and stick with it, I’m sure it’ll start to pick up again this week.

Re: constipation – I’ve just ordered in psyllium husk powder, which I’m now adding to my smoothie each morning. The fibre content is off the chart – like 8g fibre in every 10g of powder. So I’m hoping this will help 🙂

Overall still at 9lbs down in 3 weeks. So that’s a good average, going to step up some exercise this week and hope to make it 12lbs in 4 weeks!

Have a great week everyone xx

• posted by Rubytuesday
    on

Hi all,
    I posted on here to say my weight loss seemed to have stalled in week 2&3, but pleased to say it’s started again and lost another couple of pounds (now in week 4). I even had a few days where I ate waaaaay over 800 cals (but stayed no carbs) because I just felt rubbish, so I’m glad I didn’t Jack it all in completely. So, 10 lb down and at least 3 inches off the waist. Ive got Hashimotos so wasn’t sure what my thyroid would do with this diet – diets don’t seem to work for me usually past the first week or two, so I’m very pleased and finding it enjoyable. I’ve got about another 10lb to lose so hopefully it’s doable over the next 4 weeks. Good luck all 🙂 xx

• posted by Spirit
    on

Glad to hear that yours has got moving again Rubytuesday.

well done

Christina x

• posted by vrskumar
    on

Hello guys,

I’am glad and happy that i have reduced weight by 8-10 kilos, as i was 97 kgs it is now 88 kgs now thanks for 3 Week Diet program for giving me a wonderful tips and guidance how to loose weight as honestly i have gone through this program and found it very easy and helpful, i would thanks once again to 3 Week Diet program for giving me wonderful guidance and suggestions on weight loss.

Thanks all,
    Santosh

• posted by Bill1954
    on

This is great news guys and massive motivation for those experiencing a temporary plateau
    Thanks for sharing.

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Santosh
    That’s a great result.
    Did you do that in 3 weeks? Wow!
    5 more weeks to go so you ll be very happy by the end.
    Penny

• posted by hell4heather
    on

Hi there all, I’m new to the forum and came here to read up on no weightloss because I am 11 days into the diet and have only lost one pound – yes, you read that right. I have stuck to 800 cals and was eating porridge a lot of days so have cut that today after reading all your comments. BUT an important note to add, as I see no one has touched on it here, is have any of you who are stuck like I am, been weighing themselves on a scale that measures body fat and water percentage, as well as weight? Because I have and even though I’m only one pound down, I have noticed two changes. My water percentage has gone up (I got 48% today) so I know I’m retaining a lot just now for whatever reason, but, more importantly, my BODY FAT percentage is down to 36%. Before the diet, it was at at around 45. I know these scales aren’t entirely accurate but I always use the same ones in the same place, so clearly some good changes are happening in my body, even if I can’t see or feel them yet. And the water is clearly causing a bit of a problem too. I’m sticking with it, remembering that my weight is not the whole picture

• posted by Kags
    on

Hi all,

Can anyone point me to where Dr Mosely says not to weigh greens? I love spring cabbage and I could eat it all day, but it doesn’t make sense to me that this would not count calorie-wise. Would love to think I could fill up on greens when the nibbles strike.

Thanks in advance.

• posted by Leeanne
    on

Hi, tomorrow for me is the start of week 4. I hadn’t realised you weren’t meant to weigh veg. I’ve always referred to my calorie counter book as they all add up! I’m my book spring greens are 20cals and 2g carbs per 3 heaped tablespoons. I’ve always added veg cals in.

Please log in or register to post a reply.