No Time Like The Present! April 11th 7 day reboot … would love company!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Nonna Mary,
    I wouldn’t describe the Gary Taubes book complicated, but then I am used to reading engineering design documents. It is packed with information, and is one of those books you end up keeping and referring back to, rather than read once and you have absorbed all the data you can from it. – It wouldn’t be practical to provide people with a summary of the information it contains via this forum. – I understand that the book is a summary of a more indepth scientific review of the evidence on obesity research he has published.

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Bloody hell JGwen…Engineering Design Documents! I don’t think I would know one if I saw one. I take my hat off to you. In that case, I don’t think I would understand the book either. Thanks for the info.

Nonna Mary
    xxx

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

JGwen – have just ordered the book. It’s got really good reviews on Amazon.

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi KrysiaD,
    A number of the long term maintainers who hang around on the forum to pass on their experience repeatedly recommended and quote from the Taubes book which is why I bought it. I found it really helpful, particularly in thinking about the long term and avoiding yo you dieting. I look forward to hearing your views.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Hi JGwen
    The book arrives Monday – really looking forward to reading it. Will let you know how I get on with it.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Haha, JGwen! Californiagirl and I are those 2 old timers who relentlessly recommend the Taubes book, and
    we both credit it with changing our lives. It requires no advanced degrees to understand the information it
    contains…I’m absolutely convinced that my weight loss was made infinitely easier, and progressed without
    stumbles and cheats because I was I fortunate to discover it right out of the gate. I’m delighted that you
    found it useful, JGwen, and I’ll look forward to your impressions too, Krysia! It won’t be long before you
    join us in the 100 club, JG. Your commitment to absorbing all the information on these forums, as well
    as making it work for you as a vegetarian, is truly impressive. Earlier today, perhaps on this thread, you
    mentioned “giving back” to the community. I don’t know if this expression is uniquely American, or one
    that is recognized universally, but on my side of the pond we call this “paying it forward”. Like you, I
    try my best to do this each and every day, and I know exactly where you are coming from. I’m only
    2 days from a year in maintenance, and I can never underestimate our community’s contribution to
    making this possible. Have a great weekend!

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Joes Nonna
    I am sorry we are talking at cross purposes you said
    “I have to ask about the Gary Taubes book…is it very complicated? If not, why can’t someone fill us in so we don’t have to buy the book? Just asking.”
    I can’t answer the question directly because I don’t know what you would count as being complicated, but it isn’t one of those books with a limited number of points that they make repeatedly so we can’t fill you in. – I could only answer by saying that I found it a very easy read, and mention what type of document I am used to reading to try to give you some context.

—————

Hi Alliecat, so we are all raising the bunting in 2 days time, to celebrate your achievement. Are we having a co-ordinated celebration jig around our kitchens?

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

JGwen, No problem. I was talking with my tongue firmly in my cheek. I have read a little around Gary Taubes and have decided not to read his book. Thank you for the explanation.

Nonna Mary
    xx

• posted by alliecat
    on

What fun, JG! I’ll be looking forward to it 🙂 I have it on good authority that Marie also uses her kitchen as a
    dance floor. Every accomplishment here, great and small, is a victory for us all, and I celebrate them all with
    a happy heart and in the spirit of gratitude. This day is special to me because I didn’t even know about this
    community until I was 4 months into maintenance, and the generosity of spirit here has added a new and
    wonderful dimension to my life. This really isn’t about me, but about us all 🙂 🙂 🙂

Allie
    xoxo

• posted by Buddhas wife
    on

Good idea JGwen! I did a bit of research after dinner.😁
    I googled for high protein veg alternatives and found out very interesting facts. Numbers are g of carbs, fat, protein and kcal per 100g. I hope the numbers are correct.
    Edamame: 12, 4, 10.7, 133
    Chia: 6, 31, 16, 440 (!)
    Quinoa: 21, 2.4, 4.4, 140
    Oumph: 2.2, 4, 16, 120
    Tzay: 13, 16, 17, 272
    Tofu: 0.5, 8.5, 12.5, 130
    Quorn: 4.5, 2, 14.5, 114
    Hemp: 7, 50 (!), 30, 610

Quorn is made with a little bit eggwhite so a vegan might want to stay away from that. (I had no idea about that!)
    Chia is super delicious but to many kcal during the diet.
    I put all numbers on a paper and put it on my refrigator to use in the future. I’m sure it will come in handy days to come! Maby some one else find it useful?
    Thanks JGwen for get me going! 🤗🤓

• posted by Buddhas wife
    on

Today a had 80 g protein, 55 carb and 35 fat. An apple was 20 carbs but worth it. 😉
    I’m pleased with that. Tomorrow i will try less carbs.

Thanks everybody!
    I wish you a good nights sleep 😴.
    BW

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

Just a couple low carb vegetarian meals for anyone getting a bit bored……vegans will have to find alternates for the cheese

GRILLED EGGPLANT PARMESAN

1774 Ratings 5 STARS in the New York Times Food column

Serves : 4

This grilled-vegetable version of eggplant Parmesan is much like the author’s Calabrian grandmother used to make, but much lighter as it is grilled rather than fried.

Ingredients
    1 large eggplant (1 1/2 pounds), peeled and sliced crosswise 1/4 inch thick
    4 large plum tomatoes, sliced crosswise 1/4 inch thick
    Extra-virgin olive oil, for brushing
    Salt
    1/3 cup chopped green olives
    1 to 2 tablespoons chopped oil-packed Calabrian chiles or other hot chiles
    1/4 cup finely shredded basil, plus whole leaves for garnish
    6 ounces Fontina cheese, thinly sliced…or vegan “cheese” alternative

How to Make It
    Step 1
    Preheat the oven to 450° and heat a grill pan on the stove top. Brush the eggplant and tomato slices with olive oil and season lightly with salt. Grill the eggplant in batches over moderately high heat, turning once, until softened and lightly charred, about 4 minutes. Grill the tomatoes, turning once, until lightly charred but still intact, about 2 minutes.

Step 2
    In a bowl, combine the olives, chiles and shredded basil. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. In the center, arrange half of the eggplant in a 9-inch square, overlapping the slices slightly. Top with half of the grilled tomatoes, olive mixture and Fontina. Repeat with the remaining ingredients, ending with the cheese.

Step 3
    Bake in the center of the oven for about 15 minutes, until bubbling and golden. Let stand for 10 minutes. Garnish with basil leaves.

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

One more:

SPINACH ARTICHOKE STUFFED PORTOBELLOS

If you like spinach artichoke dip and mushrooms, you will love spinach artichoke stuffed portobello mushrooms. Serve them as an entree or side dish.

Servings 4
    Calories 255 kcal Net carbs per serving: 4.9g
    Author Lisa | Low Carb Yum
    Ingredients
    • 2 tablespoons olive oil
    • 4 medium portobello mushrooms stems and gills removed
    • 1 package frozen chopped spinach cooked and drained, 10 ounces
    • 1 can artichoke hearts drained and chopped, 14 ounce can
    • 4 ounces cream cheese room temperature (DCW could also use Alouette or Borsin )
    • 2 tablespoons sour cream
    • 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese grated
    • 2 cloves garlic chopped
    • salt and pepper to taste
    • 3 ounces mozzarella cheese shredded
    Instructions
    1. Brush mushrooms with olive oil, place on baking pan in center of oven and broil high, 5 minutes each side, or until tender.
    2. Squeeze cooked spinach in clean dish towel if desired to remove excess water.
    3. Mix together the spinach, artichoke, cream cheese, sour cream, Parmesan cheese, garlic, salt, and pepper until well combined.
    4. Stuff each mushroom cap with the spinach mix, distributing the filling evenly between the mushrooms.
    5. Sprinklet tops with mozzarella cheese.
    6. Bake at 375°F for 10-15 minutes. Turn broiler on high for a few minutes at end of baking to brown cheese, if needed.
    Recipe Notes
    Makes 8 servings, serving size is half of a stuffed mushroom.

Nutrition Facts
    Spinach Artichoke Stuffed Portobello
    Amount Per Serving (169 g)
    Calories 255
    Calories from Fat 167
    % Daily Value*
    Total Fat 18.5g
    Saturated Fat 8g40%
    Trans Fat 0g
    Cholesterol 65mg22%
    Sodium 572mg24%
    Total Carbohydrates 8.4g3%
    Dietary Fiber 3.5g14%
    Sugars 1.2g
    Protein 16.6g33%
    * Percent Daily Va

• posted by Gattina
    on

I love the idea of the coordinated jig – I’m up for that to celebrate Allie’s anniversary. It’s an achievement worth celebrating.
    Buddhas wife – Thanks for the veggie protein info. I’ve never heard of oumph or tzay – I’ll have to look them up, always good to have new options.
    Luvtook – thanks for the recipes, I might make the aubergine/eggplant parmigiana this weekend. It’s been a while since I had that.
    As JGwen said food choices can be a bit restricted for veggies and I end up eating the same foods over again.
    Sweet dreams all 😴

• posted by Verano
    on

Good morning! Welcome to DAY 4 we’ll be half way through our challenge by lunch time today! Time flies when you are having fun and my oh my this has been a busy thread over the last 24 hours.

Gary Taubes … I have a sample on my kindle which I hope to read over the weekend and will then decide whether to buy the book or not. I’ll let you know on Monday.

Abisaysyes I have to agree with Allie. Try just taking the topping off, especially if it’s smoked salmon, and just eat that. I think in the early stages of this program it’s so easy to give up if you start eating simple carbs. I think on this occasion it must definitely be abisaysNO!

Krysia so pleased you are managing with two meals. I started dropping one meal a day earlier this year and manage most days on two. If I’m particularly hungry I have three! So glad you’ve had three good days. Me too. I have dropped more than half of my holiday weight gain and am really encouraged to keep on keeping on…………

Buddhas wife I was surprised by the chia stats and checked then out. I came up with 44g carbs and 490 calories per 100g!! But hey who eats 100g of chia? I just about manage a teaspoon on my yogurt!

Talking chia I have just bought some milled linseed with sesame seeds and blueberries, I think blueberries, from Aldi. It was very reasonably priced, around £1.60 I think, and it is really lovely. One tablespoon sprinkled over yogurt and berries makes a breakfast that is actually more like a dessert, and it adds some fibre to your diet, which I really lack eating this way.

Talking about eating thank you for the recipes LTC it’s always good to have some new ideas. I’m making some pea soup later this morning!

Allie …… so close!!! What a brilliant achievement!! If I could jig around my kitchen I would, but I’m afraid you’ll just have to be content with me waving my pom-poms in celebration!!!! Any news from Theo yet?

So here we go with DAY 4 by 12pm we’ll be in the home stretch , lets just keep on keeping on……………

• posted by JGwen
    on

I hadn’t heard of Oumph before either. Apparently Tesco stock it, its a frozen product made from soya but I can’t recall seeing it in there. Google doesn’t seem to have much information on Tzay in English, I think it may be a product that’s sold in Belgium.

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Allie…can we synchronise our clocks so we all dance at the same time! You must be so proud. I am so proud of you and look forward to being able to claim the same in about 2 years time!

It is a beautiful sunny day here in UK and it makes you feel good. Have a great weekend everyone.

Nonna Mary
    xxx

• posted by alliecat
    on

I was granted my wish today, sunshine on both sides of the Atlantic! I’m sure we are all making the most of it.

Mary and Gattina, a synchronized jig-athon, or in my case a jiggle-athon, sounds PERFECT. There are probably
    a few calories to be burned there, too :). If we’re all heading into our kitchens for this transatlantic event, how
    does 6:00pm sound to you all? Dinner prep can be accomplished at the same time. If there wasn’t a large
    body of water separating us, I’d like nothing better than to throw open my doors and welcome you all. First
    thing I would do is call LTC into service to assist me with the menu!

Verano, pom poms would be a much appreciated addition, and we know that Theo would heartily approve.

Thank you all for having fun with this. It is about us all really, and the fact that we are still here. Mary,
    thank you so much, but more than proud, I’m just supremely grateful. You have simply refused to give
    up, and that will propel you over the finish line, in your own way and time. That’s how it is intended to
    be for all of us 🙂 🙂 🙂

xoxo
    Allie

• posted by alliecat
    on

I’m sorry, Buddhaswife, I meant to include this in my post. Chia seeds can appear calorie and carb loaded
    when seen in 100g portions. The brand I use (and I believe that they are all probably alike) breaks down
    like this:
    1 Tbs. =.5g net carbs
    5.5g fiber
    3g protein
    69 cal.
    Like Verano, I add this to 1/2c greek yogurt, along with 6-8 raspberries, and 1 tbs raw unsweetend raw cacao
    nibs. In my house this is breakfast, and we call it a “breakfast parfait”. On the Fast800 it is sometimes
    difficult to get enough fiber, and this combination really helps!

Allie

• posted by Buddhas wife
    on

Oh! I’m sorry about the chia. Of course I should have given numbers per portion instead. I’m just used to be a bit nerdy about numbers. But I’m learning!
    We also had a beautiful sunny day here in Sweden. We helped the last snow of from the porch today. Feels like springcleaning is coming up. This year it will be both in the house and in the body!
    Carbs was 27 today! I think I owe this to you guys! 👍So thank you very much to all of you. I was struggling so hard and there you where , inspiring and pepping!
    Bought aubergine today for the fantastic recipe.
    Sweet dreams! Se you tomorrow!

PS Please excuse me for my poor and odd English and that I dont understand everything. Still learning.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Buddha’s wife, your English is great! Mine may not be, I’m American 🙂 It’s so very nice to have you as part of the
    community, WELCOME, and we’re all looking forward to getting to know you. In a few days there will be a new
    4 week challenge beginning , with the word “May” in the title. I sincerely hope that you will be joining us there.
    The 4 week challenges are always lively, and a wonderful way to meet other members at all stages of the journey
    to improved health and wellness.
    Very best wishes to you 🙂 🙂 🙂
    Allie

• posted by Verano
    on

DAY 5 of 7 and the new 4 week challenge is not toofar away now……

Yesterday was not the best for me but I have developed a head cold and when you can’t taste food I think you eat more ….well I did yesterday. So back to just two meals for me today. Also I didn’t start my day with green tea which I’m sure is helping me.

Buddhas wife I would never have guessed that English is not your native tongue. Really pleased that you are finding these forums helpful. I for one know they help to keep me focused.

I have a new goal now as I now know that my next diabetic review is in 3 months. So I need to make sure I don’t gain any weight, lose some if possible, but most importantly keep my carbs low. I certainly don’t want to have to take medication again. So I have my motivation back!

On the downward stretch now so have a good Sunday and enjoy the last few days of this challenge.

• posted by Maid2Measure
    on

Hello all! Sorry I don’t post very much but I do love reading everyone’s posts and seeing how well they’re doing. For myself I’m definitely on the direction to the home straight but it may be a little high. Now a total of 1lb 2oz to lose by Tuesday final challenge day – hard but doable with focus and fortunately I seem to have this at the moment. Still giving some thought as to the challenge to set myself on the 4 week May one.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Verano – hope you feel a lot better very soon. There are a lot of horrible viruses around at the moment.

Have had a really good day. Dropping back the calories and the carbs has sent my blood sugars plummeting – 4.7 before meals and 5.5 (approx) 2 hours after a meal which is really good as my blood sugars have crept up a bit since Christmas.

I feel so well also.

• posted by Verano
    on

DAY 6 of 7 last lap …..

Thanks Krysia it’s just a cold and it will take its own course. I guess by the end of the week it will be over. Wow! Those blood sugar figures are amazing. I only do mine on the odd occasion first thing in the morning and with the ‘dawn effect’ I’m happy to be close to 6, over 7 and I start to really cut back on carbs.

I’m not sure about joining the new 4 week challenge. I’ve found this one week ‘reboot’ really useful. I remember sunshine-girl saying not long ago that she was feeling under pressure by the challenges, and I understand exactly how she feels. I am a sort of last minute person so if I set a goal for 4 weeks I tend to relax for the first couple, as I know I have ‘time’, then ‘time’ starts to run out, I get stressed, and end up giving up. So my thoughts are to go ‘one week at a time’ which maybe just long enough to provide a challenge without stress. One day at a time is too short because then you have the ‘their’s always tomorrow ‘ syndrome. Anyway just a thought if anyone fancies joining me for support.

So I hope the weekend was good for everyone but if there was a little too much ‘merry making’ no problem because we still have 2 days of the reboot left to get back on track.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Verano – I would absolutely love to join another one week challenge. It really works for me as I do exactly the same as you do. I am supposed to be working towards. A very important qualification but there is no deadline to complete the work. All the other qualifications had a strict deadline but this one hasn’t. So guess what has happened – 2 years from when I started i still haven’t completed it.

The blood sugars are the best they have ever been and it looks very much – for me – that keeping the carbs lowish is the key. Unless – maybe – the short sharp shock suddenly ‘woke up my pancreas and it started working better. Who knows.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

This reboot has been brilliant. Lost 2lb this week. That makes 5lbs in two weeks. It was so good to keep up the momentum from the week before. So 5lb gain in 6 months – all lost in two weeks! Next goal is to get some wriggle room and lose 3lb more.

• posted by Maid2Measure
    on

Well done KrysiaD!
    I haven’t quite reached my goal in this challenge – I wanted to loose 3lb and I lost 1lb 14oz. Oh well! Definitely better to have a downward trend but I think maybe the 7 day was a bit short for me – good to try though so thank you! I’ll be over on the next 4 week challenge.

• posted by Verano
    on

Well the last day has arrived and I also have found the reboot really good. I’m glad you have found it useful too Krysia.

I have lost 4 of my 6 lb holiday weight gain so I’m really delighted. I’m convinced that putting on weight from larger BSD friendly portions is more easily removed that carb fuelled weight gain. I have been lowish carb this week but there is still definitely room for improvement. So while this is the last day of this challenge it’s the first day of the new 4 week challenge, and I think I will post a one week at a time thread to run along side of it for those of us who are ‘last minute’ people, and anyone else of course.

Will report back tomorrow but hope this thread has helped to refocus the mind on low carb and BSD.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Verano – I totally agree that it does seem much easier to lose the pounds gained from over-indulging in BSD food than carb fuelled gains. I was really surprised how quickly the lbs have come off.
    Am signing up for your next seven day reboot – plus the 4 week challenge – as I think the two together will work perfectly for me.

• posted by Verano
    on

I think so too Krysia. I know I work much better with shorter time spans but it’s great to have a longer goal in tandem. I was away for 5 weeks, no counting, no measuring and large portions of largely BSD friendly food, lots of champagne and red wine with just a 6lb gain. I’m convinced that if I’d been eating lots of simple carbs I’d have gained far more and I really don’t think I would have lost two thirds of the gain in just 6 days! I’m hoping that this is the way forward for me because I would really like to get out of ‘maintenance mode’ , and back into losing mode again. See you on the new threads.

• posted by jojodoodle
    on

3lb for me – but it feels do much more. When I am non bsd I really feel bloated and get puffy. A good start for me this week and a wee bit more than usual. I am usually 1-2lbs steady. Never have been a big loser. Slow and steady. I am up for another week challenge – found it lively to have some company. Very informative and knowledgeable peeps out there too.

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Hi eveyone. Well done to you all for your losses. I can’t see my scales without binoculars so I will weigh myself either tonight, or tomorrow morning when my husband…gets on all fours so he can read the scales accurately. It has nothing to do with being worshipped like a queen I promise you lol, and it isn’t because I like to see a man on his knees lol.

I will also join the new weekly challenge. Off to look after my grandies now…phew it’s a full time job! Later peoples have a great day!

Love
    Nonna Mary
    xxx

• posted by abisaysyes
    on

Hi all, definitely want to join the next challenge, either 1 week or 4… I’ve had a bad end to the “week”, not felt well and ended up eating a lot of carbs yesterday! But will get back on it. Thanks for the support and company, I’ll weigh in tomorrow morning to check progress. See you guys in the next forum!

• posted by Verano
    on

Good morning…..

Well we have reached the end of our 7 day reboot and I hope it has worked well for you. As for me I have lost 5.2lb of the 6.2lb I gained on holiday so now just 1 more pound to go before the really serious work begins.

Just want to thank you for all your support over the last week which I know without doubt has helped me to get back on track.

Anyway, this isn’t the end it’s just the beginning as we have two more new challenges to replace this. Let’s keep up the momentum and carry on towards our goals.

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Verano. I must thank you for this thread. I am pleased to announce….drumroll…..I began this challenge at 15 stone…..and I now weigh….14 stone 9 pounds….that is a weight loss of …..5 pounds. My biggest ever loss I think…or equal to it. I am made up. As I have been 15 then 15:2 for the past two and a half months. So I am definitely on the next one.

Come on everybody….we can do it…!

Nonna Mary
    xxx

• posted by Gattina
    on

Well done Nonna Mary – that’s a really good result 🙂

• posted by Verano
    on

Well done Nona Mary, what a brilliant achievement !!!!!!! It’s amazing that just a few days of concentrating the mind can have such positive results. You must be over the moon. So now we just have to keep going one day, one week at a time……

• posted by Maid2Measure
    on

Nonna Mary, triple wow. I am so pleased for you! Well done for sticking this out. xx

• posted by Buddhas wife
    on

A bit late but anyway! (working hard and was awy from all soc media) Thank you all of you for good support and very nice company! 😁
    Lost 1 kg this week and happy with that! 😀
    I will stick around on the forum so, see you in next thread. I’m glad I found you. Good luck with t whatever you’re up to.
    BW

• posted by Verano
    on

BW come over and join us on One Week at a Time week 2 . Well done on your loss so far.

Please log in or register to post a reply.