Newby to BSD

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by KMM154
    on

Hi I am a 65 year young female, retired College Lecturer 4 years ago. Hereditary Type 2 diabetes dx 2007 – recently quit evil weed subsequent BS spiralled as a result. Now need to get back to normal. Difficulty is that I seem to be one of the ‘thin’ sufferers that Michael mentions. My weight around my middle/tummy. Not wishing to hack ‘obese’ people off, as my daughter battles with that issue and gets a bit niggled when I say I put on weight. Having gone up a waist size by increasing around a stone in weight, all in tummy area.

However, as I say – finally beat the nicotine habit last autumn – my HBA1 in Dec had shot up to highest ever – 13.5 when it had previously averaged 6.5 – 8. Indeed was fasting 7 last May! A bit of research led me find an article on this, saying after quitting smoking can take up to 3 years to return to normal! I am currently working with my DBN on lowering without increasing meds – currently on Metformin 1000g a day – which I kicking hard against. I admittedly dropped my guard over the quitting period – my weakness is sweet things – but not overly hugely. Started self testing, as previous GP and DBN advised against. BS currently between 14.5 – 16.5 and I am very concerned, hence this diet. The 5:2 diet was suggested by another practice nurse. I got to this diet via research on reversing diabetes research by Prof Roy Taylor of Newcastle University.

Looking for advice and mutual support with other Type 2 sufferers.☺

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Hello and welcome to the forums.
    All the evidence you need to get those BS results back to within normal range is here.
    You won’t get instant results but you will definitely get results.
    I was a long term diabetic and blood tests taken just 4 weeks into this eating regime had me at pre diabetic levels.
    I have stopped all medication now and the sugar levels seem to have settled now.
    I too am an ex smoker and I know the struggle that can be. Believe me when I say, this diet is nowhere near as difficuilt as quitting nicotine.

• posted by Patsy
    on

If you can quit smoking then I’d say you have a good chance of being able to stick to a healthy eating plan and sorting out the diabetes. Good luck.

• posted by KMM154
    on

Well 5 days in and no weight loss but not particularly worried about that as my BS readings are going down – started around 16 – 18 now averaging 10 – 14 depending on time of day taken ☺ hoping this is a good sign!

Please log in or register to post a reply.