Newby and feeling quite daunted

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by sianeyb
    on

Having spent most of my adult life on diets I was diagnosed with Type 2 almost 2 years ago. I am an intelligent, hard working mother of 2 grown up sons who thankfully are tall and slim like their father. All my life I have been battling my weight and my eating (the bad stuff is done away from everyone else) is out of control and something I know I shouldn’t be doing yet I cannot seem to control.
    I have a few medical issues appearing and lack of sleep due to pains in my lower legs and feet is causing huge issues as I have to sleep on my own . I now need to take control. I can lose weight, I have done many of them but pile it all back on. I feel there is a switch in my brain that needs to be switched to “on” for me to be successful at any diet unfortunately, it is at the “off ” setting currently.
    I have bought the book, read the theory and now going to put it into practice. I hope to be able to rely on you all for support and I am happy to help and share where possible should I be able to get myself in gear !
    Good luck everyone and its now or never for me :-/

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Hi Sianeyb
    Welcome to the bsd! Your story will be so very familiar to many of us already here, it certainly is to me. What I see running through what you have written is actually a truth which we are only just becoming aware of. I suspect the reason why you have found it so hard to keep weight off in the past is because of the presence of carbs in your diet. They are massively addictive, massively damaging to our bodies, especially if you are T2. Simply by cutting the carbs, you will find that your diet, your weight, your life will turn around. The on/off setting you talk about? Its actually the carbs that are in charge of that switch right now, not you. So it is not about you being weak-willed or any of that bad mindset stuff we berate ourselves with. The minute you decide to eat carb-free you take back control of that switch.

So don’t feel daunted; allow yourself to be excited at the thought of the new you. If you have had chance to read around the threads here you will know that it is working for us and it will for you to. Some simple rules to follow are 1) ditch the pasta, bread, rice, potatoes and keep carbs in other things as low as you can 2) increase your fat – butter, oils, fat in meats, cheese, yoghurt, milk (you will probably find that weird but you’ll soon get used to it 3) drink plenty of water, 2-3 litres.

Next time you feel like eating in secret (if there is a next time) come to the forums, read, write, tell us what’s on your mind, there is always someone here in real time who will be happy to listen. Even in the middle of the night.

Looking forward to reading about your progress over the coming weeks. I wish you every success!

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Hi sianeyb,
    Welcome to the forums and the BSD. You will certainly get lots of help and encouragement every step of the way from the lovely people on here.
    You’ve made the big decision to start the BSD, so what you’ll find is that the first few days might be tough going ( not everyone does) but after that the button will most definitely switch to ‘on’.
    You put the effort in for those early days, keep to 800 cals and low carbs without cheating, and your body will do the rest.
    It sounds too easy but it’s true. Read some of the posts for inspiration and you’ll see lots of us posting the same things. Being able to refuse offers of cakes, ice cream, chocolate, pizza. It’s all there.
    The secret is to keep your fluid intake up to 2-3l of non sugary drinks. Eat full fat products and include oils/ butter/ cheese to stop you getting hungry and to provide fuel for your body. Lots and lots of leafy salads and non starchy veg
    will help to fill you up.
    Good luck with it and stay in touch 🙂

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi sianeb. Welcome to the family.

Great advice from Janet and Cherrianne.

Keep reading the posts on here, and add yours letting us know your progress.

• posted by sianeyb
    on

Thank you all so much. Fridge is full of eggs, spinach, natural yogurt. Weigh in day tomorrow
    Thank you all for your support, it will help and I intend to be successful, so I too can help others as you are helping me to start!
    Sian x

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hey sianeyb
    Welcome to the first day on your BSD journey. Hope you weighed and measured this morning and began the regime today as planned. Hope it hasn’t been too tough, the first few days can be a bit rocky, but if you keep your fluids high and also make sure you eat full fat options, as this helps you to feel full longer.
    Will look forward to hearing about your results and I know you will be making good use of the forum, for advise, tips and support when needed.
    Best of luck – look forward to reading your results at the end of your first week.

Please log in or register to post a reply.