Newbie to Ketostix advice please

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Jillf
    on

Ok – so here I am in week 4. 1 Stone lost to date but stuck this week so bought ketostix to check if am in ketosis as I understand that is how we are all losing is that right? I guess that is the first question – is the diet all about getting into ketosis and if you are not in that state do you not lose? Next question is what to do if you are not (like me – my reading was zero keytones). I have kept to under 40 g carbs and 800 cals since the start..what do I need to do to get into the fat eating ketosis state please?
    Thanks all you experts out there – I know someone will know! . PS – am not diabetic.
    Jill

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Hi Jill — I have NEVER tested positive with keto test strips (like Ketostix) but have lost three dress sizes and almost 10 inches at the waist. I know I had to be in ketosis because I was keeping carbs to about 20 per day very strictly. When I read up on it, Ketostix are notoriously inaccurate and many people don’t show ketones even when in ketosis. Some people USE all the ketones for fuel and brain fuel so they may not have extra to spill over in urine. I stopped testing because it was anxiety producing. (I am 24 weeks into diet and now gratefully at healthy BMI).

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Thanks jill for this question coz i was wondering about ketostix too
    And thanks CALIFORNIAGIRL for yr reply x perhaps i just wont bother buying any then!
    Oh CG how wonderful you got to week 24 and are now a healthy BMI! You must feel great..have you posted yr journey somewhere so I can read up..i’ m into week 3 of a hopeful 24 week stint..i feel great but I wonder,does the euphoria wear off,how do you keep focused if/ when the weight loss slows down,what good and bad have you encountered along the way?what has helped/ hindered progress? Admire you so much for doing 24 weeks
    * thunderous applause!* x

• posted by Jillf
    on

I will second that – thanks so much for that terrific advice CG – I really was getting wobbly about it. It doesn’t take much to trip you up and shatter your faith in ploughing on, so I am totally grateful to you – thanks – from the heart!
    Jill

Please log in or register to post a reply.