We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Suziquatro
    on

If I stay within the 800 calories a day can I do my own recipes obv cutting out bread cakes rice etc?

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Sure. Some people follow the recipes in the books because they’re all done up and good to go already, no need to calculate, but many of us make our own recipes, taking the carbs out of old ones or inventing new ones. You just have to weigh and measure everything so that you can have accurate calorie and carb counts. I use the counting app MyFitnessPal to input all my data and plan recipes. FatSecret is another popular app.

If you’re not familiar with very low carb eating, you should look everything up before you prepare it. You’d be amazed how high in carbs certain veggies, for example, can be. Onions came as a shock to me. I used to use a whole one in pretty much everything. Those days are over.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

That is basically what I did, I still haven’t done any of the book recipes, exactly anyway, I have probably ‘reinvented’ some, but will get round to it now I have both books finally.

• posted by Jande9
    on

I started out trying some of the recipes but quickly realized they were too much trouble. My typical supper now is a lean protein like chicken breast or pork tenderloin, with a pile of different kind of veggies. I like to experiment with different tastes and this diet is a great vehicle for that.

Today I had a pork loin coated with a paste of salt, pepper, basil, sage, oregano and olive oil and roasted, shredded brussels sprouts sauteed with garlic, sauteed shrooms, tomatoes and green beans with crushed coriander (my new favourite spice!), gailan with Harisa sauce, steamed carrots, plus mashed potatoes for my wife.

I am spending a lot of money on veggies every day but they are filling and not too calorific and do the trick.

My wife and young adult daughter eat what I eat at supper plus some kind of carb, and they have also lost a bit of weight, which they definitely don’t need to do. All the veggies fill them up so there is just a lot less room for the starches.

I have a couple of eggs for breakfast and some greek yogurt, kefir, and bran for lunch.

I have been doing this for 4 months and I am about to transition to the BSD way of life, with my blood sugar dropped well into the normal range, healthy BMI, and down about 35 pounds and 5 inches around my gut.

There is a lot of freedom with this diet. Cut the carbs, stay below 800 and you can eat whatever you want to get the nutrition you need.

• posted by Suziquatro
    on

Id like to thank you all for your replies and take on board everything you have told me. Just gotta get my head in right frame of mind now

Thanks

• posted by Esnecca
    on

The “right” frame of mind tends to prove elusive, in my experience. Take action and the mind will follow. Make a menu for the week, a shopping list and buy everything you need. Use the weekend to make food for the rest of the week. That way it’ll be easy for you to eat according to the plan even if you’re tired or headachey or muddle-headed, which can happen when you’re detoxing from carbs.

Good luck!

• posted by NewTolsta
    on

Hello everyone. I’m a newbie, just registered today. I have enjoyed browsing through the forum posts and so many things have really struck a chord with me. For example, Esnecca’s comment about taking action first and the mindset will follow – that is so true, and so simple – I have tried it and it works for me. I was diagnosed with T2DM in September 2014, and I lost 27Kg weight in a few months by cutting out as much carbohydrate as I could. I did not know about Michael Moseley’s work or his story with his own diabetes. I also started to get more exercise – bought a treadmill for example (the best investment in myself I have ever made) and this was so liberating as I could control speed and incline, and work in some HIIT sessions during my walk. I’ve since read MM’s books and he has a talent for really “nailing” it regarding simple and understandable information which gives readers heart. I have had a few hiccups along the way but haven’t “fallen off the wagon” in any major way, I’m learning to forgive myself and move on! Despite being on medication (metformin) and sticking to the low-carb program, and being within my ideal body weight range, I am still struggling to keep my BGLs in the target zone – morning FBGLs often between 7-8 which is frustrating. I’ve delayed getting my HbA1c done because of that, silly really because it is what it is. I’m now thinking of doing the 8 Week BSD but waiting to get a medical appointment to discuss first. Is there anyone out there in the forum with a similar story to mine? If so, how are you managing your situation? By the way, thank you to everyone who takes the time to connect with others – it is so special.

• posted by AnnieW
    on

Hi Tolsta, search dawn phenomenon in the search box at the top of the page. Sunshinegirl has written several posts about it. Not diabetic myself but I think you are describing the dawn effect. Perhaps it would be a good idea to get the test done to give you an “official” figure you can work from. Your dr may even be on board with BSD, it does seem to be beginning to gain a foothold in some surgeries now.

Congratulations on your progress so far. Good luck for further reduced figures.

Please log in or register to post a reply.