New to this and ready to embrace it

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by WellyMum
    on

Hi everyone, I’ve spent wasted years plugging away at Slimming world which resulted only in losing and gaining the same stone over and over again. Little did I realise that I had a yeast intolerance and gut imbalances, which was only made worse by the fat free/ low fat (high sugar) and artificial sweetener rollercoster that SW advocates. So I’ve finally seen the light and turned to Mr Mosleys BSD diet which includes all the principles that I believe in and could live my life by, not just as a short term fix. I’ve also been reading the 4 Pillar plan by Dr Rangan Chatterjee whose advice is very similar to MM.

So I’m ready to embrace this way of life and would appreciate any tips on getting started. Would love to hear about your success stories too or from anyone who also has had to consider the yeast implications.

• posted by Squidge
    on

Hi WellyMum.

I started the BSD at the beginning of 2018, got down to a healthy weight by Easter and have stayed within the healthy weight range since. That was after being overweight pretty much all my adult life and much of my childhood, actually. The first week was quite tough, but not worse than many other diets. Unlike other diets I’ve tried this one gets easier, not harder, as you go along.

My top tips are to drink plenty of plain water and to exercise as much as you can (walking is great).

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Hi WellyMum
    I started BSD in Jan 2017 and lost 12.5kg over about 10 or 11 months. I have a couple of chronic health conditions and the medication I was taking then causes weight gain, Hence the slow loss.
    In 2018 I did try to lose more weight but it turned out to be a maintenance year, and now in 2019 I’m ready to recommence the journey 🙂
    Squidge’s advice to drink lots of water is a good one – so many times my weight loss stalled and I realised that I hadn’t been drinking the recommended amount.
    I recommend planning and preparation. I try to spend some time on the weekend planning and preparing meals for the next week. At the very least I prepare the next day’s breakfast and lunch the night before. I like to batch cook, and ‘cook once, eat twice’, so almost always cook extra and freeze a portion or 2, or do things like having dinner leftovers for lunch the next day.
    Also, I like to keep it simple at times. I love trying new recipes from the BSD recipe book, but find it easier during the week when I’m working to just cook our usual family favourites (bolognaise, curry, stir fry etc), but BSD friendly, so making sauces from fresh ingredients rather than using a jar of sauce. My family have pasta/rice/potatoes or whatever and I substitute with cauliflower rice, zucchini noodles and such. We had burritos for dinner a few nights ago and I put my ingredients into a bowl rather than a tortilla wrap and have a BSD- friendly burrito bowl 🙂
    For lunch, if I’m not having dinner leftovers then I’ll have salad or soup. Again you can keep it simple – some ham, cheese or boiled egg (or all 3!) with some salad leaves and veggies. Or a Ploughmans style lunch – apple,
    Celery, walnuts, cheese, chutney and ham. This is very quick and portable.
    Another thing I like to do is if I have the oven on to cook dinner, then I also roast some extra veg to use in salad or soups (red capsicum, beetroot, butternut squash etc).
    Good luck on your journey and I look forward to reading about your success 🙂

• posted by WellyMum
    on

Thanks that’s really encouraging to hear. Did you do the 5:2 ? Or did you fast on more than 2 days?

• posted by WellyMum
    on

Hi squid get how much did you lose in those few months?

• posted by WellyMum
    on

Thank you Sue that’s all great advice that I’ll definitely be following. Good luck on your journey and hope it all goes well.

• posted by WellyMum
    on

Thanks Sue

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Welcome Welly Mum – you in the right place now and I’m sure you will be seeing positive results soon. I’ve been with the BSD for close to three years now – my path (or at least part of it) is documented on my profile.
    My advise is to remember to stay well hydrated and to include good fats in your meals. Counting carbs as well as calories can be helpful, as if weight loss stalls, dropping carbs a bit lower might well kick start things again. However, don’t worry about that right now, just get a picture of your daily level of carb intake and then reevaluate later.
    There is a weekly challenge thread running ‘One Week at a Time: Tuesday January 1st 2019’ is the current one and there will be one to follow on from that. These weekly threads are populated by a mix of new and old BSDers, so there is a wealth of knowledge and experience to be tapped into, as well as encouragement and support.
    Hope to see you out and about on the forum and look forward to reading how you are progressing.

Please log in or register to post a reply.