New to this

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Crazycakelady
    on

Hi everyone, just starting out on this new journey, I have diabetes type 2 and am looking to loose 2 stone and keep my blood sugars under control without medication. My docs have given me their blessing and now I’m raring to go….. I just have a couple of things I’m not sure about, I’ve read the books, planned my first weeks meals and done an online shop for delivery tomorrow morning, I’ve planned the meals from the recipe books and kept under 800 Calories, if I want a piece of fruit between meals is this extra calories to be added on?? and coming up to the festive season and family birthday meals out, if I went off course am I able to just get back onto it the following day without too much damage?? These may seem silly questions but I want to make sure I’m doing it right from the beginning as I really want this to work. Thank you in advance 🤔

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

Hi crazycakelady, love the name!

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but, if you eat it you count it – that includes fruit. Worse, picking the wrong fruit (tropical ones mainly) will put a massive hole in your 800 cals and any cab limit you set – 100 cal+ and 25g of carb in a banana!

On the good side, many of us have gone “off course” but the main thing is to recognise it, put it behind you and get back on the straight and narrow.

There’s no such thing as a silly question. When I started on this site I’d never been on a diet in my life (hence the 150kg starting weight) and in reality knew nothing but the kind and generous people on these forums have taught me so much.

• posted by shalimar
    on

I have bad news too …. you have to count the lemon and or sugar and or milk in tea … and milk or cream in coffee. Cream in my coffee is my downfall …. i can use up 12 carbs and 200 cals on that no problem!! I am trying to love plain teas.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Welcome crazycakelady. You really do need to be counting everything your consuming – liquid or solid. Yes, you can slip up and get back to the BSD, but of course, you can’t expect to see the same sort of results, so best to try to ‘save’ some calories in the couple of days before a special meal out, to give you a little bit of a buffer. However, when eating out, try to keep low calorie and try not to overindulge.

Having said all that, don’t beat yourself up if things get away from you a little. We are in this for the long haul, so there will be days when you are over and days under the usual limits. It will balance out over the long term.

Keep posting, good luck with it all. Shout out is you need help or support and make good use of the forum as there is a wealth of information on here, which should help you along the way.

• posted by Crazycakelady
    on

Thanks for the support and advice, first day going really well, been doing some batch cooking for the freezer to make sure I’ve always got something at hand. Made the roast red pepper and squash soup which is sooooo tasty, cauliflower cheese and a batch of bolognese. In between this been making a cake and not even dipped my finger in the batter which is a first for me!!! Feeling really positive 😀

Please log in or register to post a reply.