New to BSD

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by JaneCMann
    on

Would love to have some communication with others who may have Crohns & Diabetes who can give me some tips regarding suitable foods. Please see my profile to understand my dilemma!!

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Wow Jane, your auto immune system is certainly in overdrive isn’t it?
    There are quite a few people on here who have seen various auto immune conditions improve significantly on the BSD.
    Obviously grains, nuts and legumes might be a problem in their whole state but I think you should be ok with flaxseed meal, almond meal, chick pea or coconut flour.
    We do have a low carb bread in Australia but it has seeds in so not good for you. There is a recipe on this site for gram flour flatbreads ( chick pea/ besan flour) which make a good savoury wrap. The coconut flour flatbreads are nice with cream or yoghurt and berries for breakfast or dessert.
    You shouldn’t face too many issues and can always ask the forum members for advice on substitutes. Check out the what have you eaten today thread for ideas. There are also lots of good recipes on this site.
    You may need to keep an eye on your insulin dose and monitor blood sugars a bit more frequently, as they tend to drop quite quickly when you start lowering carbs and calories.
    All the best, stay in touch because if you need support you’ll get it, and any improvements in your health and blood sugar levels will inspire others ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by JaneCMann
    on

Thank for the info Cherrianne. Thought I might not need nuts or grains in my BSD. Maybe later when I’m ‘fitter’ I can try introducing them again. I understand about reducing my insulin. I did that when I did Whole30 which was successful, however as soon as I reintroduced grains & nuts my glucose levels increased dramatically , hence me trying this Diabetic specific diet. Whole30 is very similar so think BSD should be great! I will try however not to have grains or nuts! Thanks

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi JaneCMann, I really feel for you and the Crohns really complicates things for you.

To tell you my story: about 23 years ago I developed M.E. with my GP’s help I got as much recovery from that as is possible. I also developed hashimoto’s hypothyroidism as well as chronic asthma and bronchiectasis. Oh and diverticulitis!.

My respiratory consultant put me on twice the normal dose of inhaled steroids BUT while on this diet I have managed ( with the consent of my GP and asthma nurse) to reduce it while keeping a peak flow graph. My peak flow is FAR better now than it was last year. My hypothyroidism made it incredibly difficult to lose any weight BUT on this diet I have lost 2 stones and 11 lbs ( I am now 8st 12lbs) and haven’t felt so well! Infact friends are telling me I am more like I was 10 years ago!
    Diverticulitis – I suffered from constant flare ups requiring antibiotic treatment at times. I haven’t had a problem at all on this diet.
    Hypothyroidism – blood tests show my dose of levothyroxine needs to be reduced – I am having repeat test at the beginning of May.

So far, Jane, I cannot believe the improvement in my health since I started this diet. Who knows what it will do for you? Only good things!!! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by JaneCMann
    on

Hi Hashimoto, so glad the BSD has helped you. We all have our problems don’t we! My Diabetes was induced by steroids, whilst using it for Crohns Disease, many years ago. I was insulin dependent for about 18 months whilst the steroids got out of my system. That was about 30 years ago, & I was Diabetes-free until about 7 years ago when it reared its ugly head again. I am again on insulin. I had a total thyroidecomy a few years ago so am regularly taking Thyroxine which also makes it difficult to loose any weight. After a while you get so fed up taking medication don’t you? Meds for this, meds for that! I am looking forward to giving the BSD challenge a go to see if by getting my weight down this way, will ease a lot of my various symptoms, naturally, without medical intervention. Would be nice for me, personally, to be in control for a change instead of my meds!
    Hoping the BSD resolves a lot of your problems too. Please keep in touch & let us all know how you are going with your challenges.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Jane, the BSD has already solved a lot of my problems. Like many people on here I had tried many diets which did not work for me. This did – and does!
    I’m looking forward to hearing of your improvements ๐Ÿ™‚

Please log in or register to post a reply.