New to BSD – would love some pointers

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by doushie
    on

Hi all,

I’m new to the BSD – been referred to it by my doctor although not for diabetic reasons, but to lose weight.

I’ve been following the plan for a couple of weeks on and off (due to me being a major emotional and comfort eater, and having a few ‘troublesome’ moments in my life recently). Anyway, I’ve kicked my bum into gear and have started over this week and I’m sticking to it!

I wonder if any of you lovely people have any great low carb, low sugar, low calorie snack ideas? I have been able to go without my desserts, but sometime I really want something ‘sweet’ to hit the spot. I have just seen in M&S, apple crisps. Would these be ok occasionally on this plan? Their 104 Kcal for 30g serving.

Any advice greatly appreciated!

• posted by Timmy
    on

Firstly, welcome to the forum, secondly, hurrah for the doctor that has recommended the BDS!!

The one thing you really need to drill down on food is the carbs and the sugars. So much stuff is made to look healthy but in reality is can be the opposite!

Looking at those apple crisps, they have 23.4g of carbs of which which 21.9 is sugar, per 30g bag. I’d say this is a definite no no. They are basically nearly 100% carbs and would eat up half of your entire daily carb allowance.

There’s quite a few snack suggestions in the book. Personally if I feel like snacking, the first thing I do is have black coffee or a massive glug of water. If I’m still feeling like a snack after 10 mins then I will have an apple or small handful of nuts. I’ve got a technique with the nuts, which I’m going to call the squirrel technique. It’s basically to eat them one tiny nibble at a time, taking time over each nibble and really savouring them. I find that way I don’t eat as many of them.

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

I agree with that Timmy.

The other thing you can do for a ‘snack’, is have three small baby plum tomatoes – they are juicy, sweet and if you eat them slowly are really nice. 8 calories, 1 carb for the three – which is sugar of course, but not so bad as the apple crisps. You could have 6 if you liked!

Nuts are good because of the fat content, which makes you feel fuller. In general, make sure you are eating more fat – yes, it’s counter-intuitive, but it does work. Things like cheese are good – fat and protein but no carbs. For example, a Babybel cheese is 70 calories, 5g of protein, 6g of fat, but zero carbs.

You will get into the swing of it. 🙂

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Hi doushie and welcome 🙂
    You know what’s amazing about your post? That one little phrase “referred to it by my doctor”
    There are loads of folk on here who only wish they had a doctor like yours.
    Try simmering some sweet cherries in a little water then add gelatin or sugar free jelly and let it cool
    Great for those sweet tooth moments if eaten in small amounts

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Love the cherry idea Bill, I’ll be trying that out for sure.

• posted by doushie
    on

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the advice – much appreciated.

I’ve never seen this doctor before, but was told how good he was (he’s from another surgery in a neighboring parish – but they’ve now taken our over practice also). He’s one of those good old fashion doctors who’s got the time for his patients. I went with another problem, but he made me feel so at ease that I was able to talk to him about my weight issues. He said he’d tried the diet himself, and was so impressed by it, that strongly recommends it, and he has referred the plan to three other patients recently, all of whom are doing fantastically.

I myself on the other hand is another matter. I started out this week really well, however for the last two days I’ve struggled and I’ve given in to both cake and bread. I know why (problems at work) but I just can’t seem to stop myself. I really struggle to manage my emotional comfort eating. Does anyone else suffer from this, or have any ideas on how I can combat it?

Also, I’ve tried looking for recipes books which would be suitable for this plan – I’ve printed off the recipes on here which take my fancy, but sadly its not many. Can anyone recommend any recipe books?

• posted by Rhodie
    on

Hi Doushie – have you bought the book? It has some great, tasty and easy to prepare recipes in the back. Also has a plan for 4 or 5 weeks that you can follow – means you don’t have to think too hard about what to eat. I’m on week one and a real foodie and have really enjoyed the food from the book.

• posted by doushie
    on

Hi Rhodie,

I bought the book as soon as my doctor recommended it to me.

I’ve been following the plan on and off for a couple of weeks, and I’ve already exhausted all the options which appeal to me (the other half who is not following this plan) – including the recipes on here. There are a good fair number I admit, but most contain ingredients that do not like me (Salmon, Avacado, Crab etc) or my husband doesn’t like or it doesn’t agree with him (allergic to shellfish).

I work full time, commuting is a real pain (takes 3 hours out of my day), then I go to the gym on my way home, so I’m unable to cook a meal for myself, and then another for my husband.

We seem to be eating the same thing over and over which is getting a bit tiresome, so I’m hoping for some new fresh ideas & or a recommended recipe book.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi doushie
    There are lots of Low carb cook books on Amazon and if you are using the recipes from the BSD book, perhaps you can substitute things you do like, for those you don’t – chicken instead of salmon for instance. I understand you wanting to conserve time and not cook two meals, so maybe the approach most suitable for you, would be to choose meals you would usually produce, but without the carbs – grilled chop, veggies and no rice, potatoes etc. Keep and eye on root veg and tend towards above ground veggies.
    Just a suggestion, hope it helps.

• posted by weescotty
    on

Doushie, wrote a reply to you and then lost it before submitting – arggh! The Mosley 8-week Blood Sugar diet book got grumbles from lots of reviewers at first for the recipes. Dr Mosley did not write those. See the Amazon reviews. I borrowed one from my library and noted recipes I liked. Title= ‘Low Carb Revolution: comfort eating for good health’ author = “Annie Bell’ . I wouldn’t buy another book as there would be too many I wouldn’t use. I now keep ideas/links/articles as I find them in a ‘folder’ on my desktop or to read offline. I learned the hard way after buying ingredients and not then able to find the recipe again online! Gradually growing my collection. It does take time. Some websites for “Mediterranean” meals, and blogs on food could be a good find. This lady seems popular http://www.lavenderandlovage.com
    Check others’ posts on here for clues. One I found is http://oldwayspt.org/recipes/search?keys=&diet%5B%5D=96&items_per_page=12
    Eventually I anticipate being able to see a recipe and know how to adapt as my knowledge increases and ‘beds in’.
    It IS a big change and even though I am retired and have time there is also an emotional element and I have not found it straightforward. I think you will find as you read more of our posts that we all do have to keep on re-starting after a bad day/week of slip-ups.
    Lots of us here to moan at and get inspiration from :-0 plough on….
    better press ‘submit’ before I lose this lot!

Please log in or register to post a reply.