New, starting BSD TODAY!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Well done on the loss and on getting your focus back.

• posted by Robynjeanette
    on

My husband and I also started today. Well I started and because I do most of the cooking and shopping he is also eating less carbs. I’ve set myself a target of losing 10 kgs in 8 weeks. I have 14 to lose altogether.
    I’m going to do between 800-1000 Calories a day. Goal is to buy a nice size 12 outfit for Christmas.

• posted by RubyG
    on

Hi Robynjeanette and welcome!
    There is a weekly support thread which you may find useful – the new one will start tomorrow but the current one will have “25th October 2021” in the title.
    You don’t mention if you have any health issues (pre-diabetes, diabetes, high BP, high cholesterol, etc.) so are you following this purely to lose weight?
    You have definitely come to the right place, with a bit of effort (well worth a really focused 8-week plan) you can lay the foundation for a sustainable way of eating and managing your weight.
    My hubby and I joined a year ago, he has lost 7 stone and I have lost about 2 stone – he is still losing overall and I am more-or-less maintaining.
    Good luck!

• posted by RubyG
    on

Weigh-in today:
    Hubby – 16st
    Me – 11st 12.8lb
    So the focus from last week disappeared after Friday and we are back to where we were a week ago (again……..).
    Family event on Saturday, no appreciable carbs (1 bhaji each) but overate, mindless eating, cheese was a factor, and not much water drunk, followed by a very stressy day yesterday and a huge portion of chicken curry and cauli rice.
    Trying to focus again today, as I feel bloated and uncomfortable, hot flushes and mood swings (peri-menopause) are not helpful.
    Today is a new day, ODAAT!

on

Ooops. But dont worry, same for me. Get back on the proverbial and we will all get there.

• posted by RubyG
    on

Weigh-in today:
    Hubby – 15st 11lb
    Me – 11st 11.4lb
    Better than last reported weigh-in 2 weeks ago, hanging on by a thread, but hanging on nonetheless.
    Away at friends this weekend coming – they have been practicing making cauli rice to accommodate us, which I think is very considerate.
    ODAAT!

• posted by RubyG
    on

Weigh-in today:
    Hubby – 15st 13.2lb
    Me – 11st 12.2lb
    That was after a weekend away, our friends accommodated the low carb way of eating really well, but alcohol was consumed and we all ordered dessert at the restaurant on Saturday night!
    Key message is that Sunday morning was straight back to low carb, and the weekend excess should be shed by the next weigh-in on Friday.
    ODAAT!

• posted by RubyG
    on

Weigh-in today:
    Hubby – 15st 10.8lb
    Me – 11st 11.6lb
    I seem to have settled in the top half of the 11st range, which is about a stone heavier than I’d like to be, but the longest I have managed to maintain under 12st – EVER!
    Hubby is still losing slowly, without really trying to at the moment.
    Key point is we are sticking to the low carb way of life.

on

Hi RubyG, well done on not giving in and koko. I sometimes think our bodies need time to settle into our new version of ourselves. I know at 21.5lbs down I still see myself as the F word but try to be positive because I have done well and so have you. A couple more pounds before Christmas might just give you a bit of wriggle room for the inevitable. 🙂

• posted by RubyG
    on

Thank for the support SG, I just seem to have so much on the go at the moment that planning and prepping food isn’t happening, so not gaining is good right now.
    I know I should build some wriggle room for Christmas – there will be cheese and alcohol, and I don’t want to see 12st again 🙂

• posted by RubyG
    on

Thanks for that information.

• posted by RubyG
    on

My spam detector is definitely on high alert, the same paragraph seems to have been posted on at least one other website, and at least half of what has been written is tosh, but hey ho.
    I did not weigh myself today, I am feeling fat, heavy, bloated, and had my booster jab yesterday so I will be kind to myself and weigh at the end of the week.

on

RubyG, I was going to say the other day that your comment was very restrained when I would have told them where to go. Seems you have now twigged it is spam. I have reported both posts.

• posted by RubyG
    on

I weighed this morning, and the scales confirmed what my body is telling me – 12st bang on again, which is not good, but not the end of the world either as I know what to do.
    I will be below 12st again by the end of this week, and still have a couple of weeks to drop a few more lb before Christmas. There are no major excesses on the horizon, the main event is just 1 meal, but I have bought some nice cheese and nice booze, so I do need a bit if a buffer.

on

RubyG I just love your determination. You are very like me. Keep on keeping on and dont forget, as the film says, tomorrow is another day.

• posted by RubyG
    on

A better day yesterday, managed to avoid mindless stressy snacking and had a smaller portion for supper.
    11st 13.0lb this morning
    Hubby 15st 9.8lb
    Keeping on keeping on, helped by the support on here

• posted by RubyG
    on

I have decided not to weigh today – despite plans to lose a few lb to give a buffer for Christmas, life has other plans and my head is not in the right place right now.
    I will weigh on Friday morning, our last working day before a couple of weeks off, and then weigh again in the New Year and deal with whatever the scales say.
    I am not eating carbage, just eating too much and too often.
    Hubby is managing to maintain his weight, but I have noticed more frequent snacks for him too, so we both need to rein it in.
    Let’s try for a better day today, and try again tomorrow – ODAAT!

• posted by freester
    on

Hang on in there. You know what you’re doing right, and what you can do better. You’ve done really well. Both of you.

• posted by RubyG
    on

Tank you for the support!
    I take it you’re still maintaining well?

• posted by freester
    on

Yes all good here I’ve been steady +/- 2 lbs for about a year now.

Without wanting to hijack your thread – I am quite disciplined. It’s my nature. If I get into something I go into it 108%.

Just got back from a weekend away. Eating out / a few beers. I stayed pretty much on plan. A slice of sour dough with breakfast and some fried halloumi in flour were my ‘off piste’ moments. I have completely cut out the snacking and when I’m away like this I usually go down to 2 meals – a brunch and evening meal.

As I said you are doing well and you know where where to find those marginal gains 😉 👍

• posted by RubyG
    on

Not hijacking at all, your insights have always been appreciated.
    Unfortunately hubby’s discipline has waned a bit – still low carbing and only an occasional drink on a weekend, but the snacking has crept in again, and he feels cheated if he doesn’t have 3 meals a day, fasting is just not an option in his mind. He is very disciplined when out for a meal though, and will generally have a steak with a side salad, no chips at all, so that’s good.
    I will try to do a few 16:8 days over the festive season, to keep the daily cals within some sort of control.
    I felt good last night after a focused day, so weighed this morning – 11st 11.6lb so I am happy to be back in the 11s, and do need to make sure I stay there. Thinking about it, I could still get down to 11st 7lb before Christmas if I apply myself.
    ODAAT!

• posted by RubyG
    on

The scales today showed the same weight as Wednesday, disappointingly, as I feel lighter, tighter and leaner, having eaten well and done a bit of exercise this week.
    Hubby is down to 15st 9.0lb and happy with a loss this week.
    We will probably not weigh again now until the New Year – Christmas plans have been pared back, so just 3 of us on Christmas Day, and no plans for restaurants on other days anymore – maybe a few walks on the beach and/or on the Moors in the great Northern outdoors to blow the cobwebs away.

• posted by RubyG
    on

Back for the New Year and a fresh start:
    Weigh-in yesterday:
    Hubby 15st 11.2lb
    Me 12st 1.0lb (11st 13.6lb this morning)
    In summary for nearly 3 weeks over Christmas, we didn’t track anything we ate but kept broadly to the low-carb principles (not low cal though – cheese…………..), with the addition of some alcohol and an occasional potato, one slice of toast and a few crackers with said cheese. We did go out for a meal, and both hubby and I ordered a side salad instead of chips, which has become the norm now when we eat out.
    Yesterday was our first day back at work (WFH), so back in a routine.
    Breakfast was scrambled egg with mushrooms, lunch was turkey soup and supper was some leftover lamb shoulder with ratatouille.
    Breakfast today was poached egg and ratatouille, lunch will be the last of the turkey soup, and I’ll have to think of something for supper.
    Keeping on keeping on 🙂

• posted by Reuby19
    on

Good morning everyone,
    I love this weather – when it’s cold but bright.
    Day 5 of BSD (take 3) today for, already feeling so much better. A little bit of a carb flu headache, but I know they pass.
    I have porridge with cinnamon pear for breakfast and I can’t flippin wait to eat it!
    Out of interest – does anyone take any vitamins/supplements? I’m usually a bit hit or miss with them so just wondered…
    Have a fab day all!

• posted by RubyG
    on

Welcome back, and here’s hoping for third time lucky in reaching your goals.
    There is a really good weekly thread which has far more views and hints and tips and support – 2022 ! ONE WEEK AT A TIME BEGINNING 4TH JANUARY 2022.
    Hope to see you over there.

• posted by freester
    on

@reuby19 at the risk of hijacking RubyG’s thread but in answer to your question. Since starting this WoE I have taken an Iron supplement on various recommendations (on the FB group IIRC). I take Spatone (it’s liquid form) and mix in juice of half lemon / lime as Vit C aids with Iron uptake. I also take a general Vit (Wellman or Centrum or similar) supplement.

• posted by jodygirl
    on

Hello BSD Friends–I am new to the site and am on day 2 of my reset. I gained 10lbs back over the holiday–ugh. I am very serious about getting healthy and have set a lofty goal of at least 15lbs by February 19, when I go on holiday!! I plan to stick to the 800 with a few days of planned celebrations where I will try to get in a little more exercise to account for the wine-LOL. Thanks for all the good recipe ideas here! I am planning to post daily to keep myself on track–just ignore if I bore!! LOL
    Good luck everyone!!

• posted by RubyG
    on

Weigh-in today:
    Hubby 15st 9.8lb
    Me 12st 0.6lb
    I am still eating my body weight in cheese 🙂 after all the Christmas cheese, we still bought more nice cheese at the farmers’ market on the weekend!
    And although I didn’t buy nuts when I went shopping last week – I found some in the cupboard!
    Oh well, maintenance is better than a gain, but I do need to find my why as it seems to have gone walkabout yet again.
    But, hanging in there!

• posted by RubyG
    on

Weigh-in last Friday:
    Hubby 15st 9.2lb
    Me 12st 1.2lb
    It wasn’t a good week for me last week, too many distractions and too many snacks, and I’m feeling a bit meh today.
    I have mostly read the new book, no major revelations as I expected, but it was interesting.
    Today I have decided to fast this morning, I will have soup at lunchtime and not sure what I feel like for supper – I will have a look at the recipes in the book for some inspiration.
    Hubby has his follow-up blood tests today, so hopefully they are in the right ballpark, even with Christmas included.
    ODAAT for me this week!

• posted by Verano
    on

ODAAT sounds like a plan and probably one that we all need to follow!
    I was reading an article about ‘diets’ in general and it was saying that often we are very successful first time round but when we try a second, third or whatever try it’s not as successful …. boredom rears it’s ugly head. I’ve certainly found that to be true so maybe we just need to jiggle things around a bit ….. different eating/fasting times, new recipes, new foods?
    Guess we just have to keep things feeling ‘fresh’ , hence the new MM book but there’s not really anything that ‘fresh’. Best of luck getting back on track.

• posted by RubyG
    on

Weigh-in today:
    Hubby 15st 7.8lb
    Me 12st 1.4lb
    My weekend was maybe worse than anticipated. but a good low carb (25g) day yesterday and just over 800cals (I succumbed to a square of chocolate with my milk kefir and Brazil nut), with a 16:8 TRE.
    I also did some actual exercise, a short kettlebell session followed by a cool down on the exercise bike. so I’m happy with that.
    16:8 TRE planned again today.

• posted by RubyG
    on

11st 13.0lb today, day 4 of 16:8 TRE, strict 800cals, <50g carbs and >50g protein.
    I am feeling OK doing this, so may try 4:3 like this again next week.
    For a while now I have felt I needed a reset, mentally as well as physically, and this seems to be doing the job.
    At my lowest weight since starting BSD I think I was 11st 6lb, that was back in the summer, and I do want to get there again and down into the lower half of the 11s. If I can get down to 10st something that would be wonderful, but I’ll worry about that when I’m in the lower 11s.
    Hubby’s test results not yet available, waiting with bated breath.
    Tomorrow I will have breakfast!

• posted by RubyG
    on

As they say, the results are in……………..hubby’s results:
    HbA1c down from 44 and pre-diabetic (UK units normal range is 20-41, pre-diabetes 42-47 and diabetic >48) to a magnificent 33 🙂
    Even with the Christmas indulgences, which is excellent news.
    His Liver Function Tests are also in the bottom half of the normal range (I’m sure he had some slightly elevated readings a few years back), again excellent news.
    HOWEVER – his GP wants an appointment to discuss his cholesterol 🙁
    Serum cholesterol 6.3 (a bit high?)
    Non-HDL 5.1 (a bit high?)
    HDL 1.2 (OK?)
    Ratio 5.3 (OK?)
    My questions are as follows:
    Are these numbers a real problem?
    How quickly do these numbers reflect what has been eaten more recently as opposed to over ~3 months (bearing in mind he ate his body weight in cheese over 2 weeks Christmas/New Year)?

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Hi RubyG

Great HbA1c result for your husband – that’s brilliant news. Congratulations to him.
    About cholesterol, my experience was similar to your husband’s. When I was diagnosed with Type II, I found out my cholesterol was already high. It was 6.2. I started the BSD. I didn’t have my cholesterol checked as often as my blood glucose but after 6 months on the BSD my cholesterol had increased to 6.7.
    Between getting the results and the similar phone call from the GP practice, I did a bit of googling about low carb and cholesterol.
    One of the things I came across was this interview (links below) with Jeff Volek and Stephen Phinney (well-known US low carb experts) talking about low carb diets, weight loss and cholesterol.

How Do Low Carb Diets Affect Cholesterol? – YouTube – Jeff Volek https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZ-deF9I31s
    Reason for LDL Increase for Some on a Low Carb Diet – YouTube Stephen Phinney https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNfjkTyBUdQ

Both bits might be useful for your husband but particularly Stephen Phinney’s section where he talks about the fact that during the weight-loss stage of a diet, if you lose a lot of weight, your cholesterol can go up because the fat cells stored contain cholesterol which is released into the blood stream as you lose fat. I’ve heard Jason Fung and others talk about this too. Once you’ve lost all the weight you need to, and your weight stabilises, your cholesterol goes down again.
    This is what happened to me. My cholesterol readings went 6.2, 6.7, 5.6, 4.7. These readings were taken at 6–9-month gaps. When my reading was 6.7, I’d lost 66lbs and was still losing weight. All the others were taken once I’d reached my goal weight. Even with the 6.7 reading, my HDL had increased more than LDL, and my triglycerides had gone down (as Jeff Volek says), and my ratios were better than with my first 6.2 reading. (This was in 2016/2017. I learnt about the importance of ratios, and which ones were important to measure, but I’m afraid I’ve forgotten these now).

Just thought this might be a helpful, other perspective.
    Jennie xx

• posted by RubyG
    on

Weigh-in today:
    Hubby 15st 7.0lb
    Me 12st 1.2lb
    So, about the same as a couple of weeks ago for us both.
    Struggling with the mental bandwidth for food tracking, so keeping low carb and trying to reduce portion sizes again.
    Back in the office a few days per week, with some new clothes on order as hubby’s shirts are like tents, and I seem to be between sizes at the moment, so that should be an incentive to drop a few pounds and fit into some new clothes!

• posted by RubyG
    on

Weigh-in today:
    Hubby 15st 7.0lb
    Me 11st 12.4lb
    Hubby has been up and down a couple of lbs this week, and he has been travelling for work, with a packed lunch both days, but more nuts and cheese have been provided for longer days. He is more-or-less maintaining well though.
    I have dropped back below the dreaded 12st mark, which I’m happy about, I haven’t tracked this week but have reduced portion sizes and mostly not had any snacks or nuts.
    New office clothes are feeling nice though 🙂

on

Keep going RubyG, you will soon be well under that 12st mark. I have just dropped under 74kg which has been haunting me for weeks. Now into the 73’s so hoping to reach 72 something before the doctor sees me in mid March. KOKO.

• posted by RubyG
    on

Keeping on keeping on 🙂
    We were at a party on Saturday night and I felt good in my clothes 🙂

• posted by RubyG
    on

We both weighed today:
    Hubby 15st 8.0lb
    Me 11st 13.2lb
    So I’m back below 12st which is good. I did 3 days 16:8 TRE this week and felt good on it.
    Supper last night was a fridge clear-out and recipe form my head and it was lovely – sliced chicken breasts marinated in chopped fresh red chilli, ginger and garlic, oyster sauce and tahini, stir-fried with pak choi, spring onions and oyster mushrooms. I’ve written it down here so I can recall it and make it again 🙂

on

Well done Ruby, recipe sound nice. Sometimes the best meals come from what we have left in the fridge.

Please log in or register to post a reply.