New, starting BSD TODAY!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by RubyG
    on

Weigh-in this morning
    Hubby – 16st 7.2lb
    Me – 11st 9.0lb
    I’m not sure where my blip has come from, I have had a decent week with food, but I’m not concerned, as long as I keep on track the next few days / week.
    We are away on holiday for the next 9 days, so posting on here may be non-existent.
    We have one booked restaurant meal next week, the rest is self-catering, so we should be OK. The restaurant does offer a green side salad in place of chips on its menu, but we’ll assess on the day – chips once a year won’t kill us, as long as they don’t become a habit (to be fair, we hardly ate chips before this WOE).
    Keeping on keeping on 🙂

• posted by RubyG
    on

Back to the work routine after 2 weeks’ leave, including 9 days away from home and 3 meals out of the house (1 restaurant and 2 with family at their homes).

Weigh-in last Friday 16th July:
    Hubby – 16st 7.6lb
    Me – 11st 7.8lb

We have both more-or-less maintained, with no conscious tracking, but keeping low carb as a basic principle.
    At the restaurant meal, neither of us felt like chips on the day, so green salad it was, accompanied by a pile of seafood (some of it battered, but not all), and at one of the family meals we each had a piece of pork pie and a couple of crackers – tiny carb portions compared to our previous lifestyle, and not repeated day after day.

With the current hot weather in the UK, we are living on BBQ and salad (last night was monkfish tail accompanied by fennel and lemon achar with some samphire.

Hoping for a small loss this week, we are at a wedding on Saturday and have not seen anyone who will be there in well over a year.

• posted by RubyG
    on

Weigh-in today:
    Hubby – 16st 8.0lb
    Me – 11st 10.0lb (not sure where that came from!)

So we’ve both gained over the past few days, excuses are poor planning due to being busy (me), not focusing on the cals we are eating (both) and an over-reliance on peanut butter as snack (hubby) – we need to rein it in, so no snacks today! The rest of the week is planned, and then we’re away at a wedding this weekend, so we will do what we can within the boundaries of what food is on offer.

On a positive note, the new outfits we have for the wedding look great and fit well 🙂

• posted by RubyG
    on

A sneaky unscheduled weigh-in today:
    Hubby – 16st 6.4lb
    Me – 11st 7.0lb
    This is more like where we expected to be, so happy with that.
    We had a low cal low carb day yesterday, with a cauli curry for supper last night.
    Today is a planned low cal low carb day too, with scrambled eggs, spinach and some smoked salmon for breakfast, chicken broth for lunch, and pastrami and pickles for supper.
    Still having the 1 Brazil nut with some milk kefir every day, and keeping the gut biome happy I hope.
    Onward and downward 🙂

• posted by RubyG
    on

Weigh-in today:
    Hubby – 16st 5.4lb
    Me – 11st 6.4lb
    Both happy with that, after a more focused week of portion control and no snacks, but no active tracking either.
    Off to a wedding tomorrow, will do our best with the food choices available.

• posted by RubyG
    on

Weigh-in today:
    Hubby – 16st 6.2lb
    Me – 11st 6.8lb
    A very small gain for us both (less than 1lb) after the wedding we attended over the weekend, where the food choices really did not suit us, but we avoided some of the choices and had small portions of the others.
    Sunday we kept the carbs very low and maintained the daily milk kefir to keep the gut biome happy, and we’re both satisfied with the outcome on the scales today.
    Today’s meal plan is all on track for a good day.

• posted by RubyG
    on

Weigh-in today:
    Hubby – 16st 4.4lb
    Me – 11st 8.2lb
    So I have gained what hubby has lost, for no apparent reason this week.
    Anyway, we will keep on keeping on.

• posted by PlumpGoose
    on

Good morning all, severely lacking in motivations here. I lost 60 pounds last year on Fast 800- and have put a stone back on ( arghhh) I did have a rather big birthday in June and so every weekend seems to be a social event. I want to lost another 4 stone but can’t seem to find the motivation ! Finding the 800 a day hard but also scales not moving as quickly as they did last year. Just did 5 straight days of being really good and lost 1 pound :-/ Felt totally fed up so dived into a packet of biscuits. Of course the scales are punishing me this morning.
    Anyone else who is doing Fast 800 for a second time notice that the loss is not quite as good second time around? Is that a thing ? I don’t want to analyse it too much but is there a chance that your body has kind of adjusted ??

Either way I am hoping to get some inspiration from you lovely people. I wonder if 5 and 2 would be better for me -but it’s not as fast as the other which is really motivating. Sorry to come on here with my negative nancy vibes so early !

• posted by RubyG
    on

Good morning PlumpGoose, and welcome back!
    You’ll probably find more responses by posting on the general weekly thread, link to this week’s thread below:
    https://thebloodsugardiet.com/forums/topic/one-week-at-a-time-beginning-3rd-august-2021/#post-136513

This is my first time on this way of eating, but I think some people do report that it is harder second time around. Key for me is keeping the carbs low while keeping to 800cals, as 800cals with high carbs won’t have the same results.

Good luck!

• posted by RubyG
    on

Weigh-in today:
    Hubby – 16st 4.0lb
    Me – 11st 6.0lb
    Onward and downward 🙂
    We both bought some new clothes on the weekend, having exhausted our loft stores of smaller sizes – there is a really good hospice charity shop nearby so I got a pair of outdoor trousers (in a size 14!), a shirt, jumper and smart evening top, while hubby got 2 jumpers, a pair of trousers and a shirt for work (we are starting to head back out to meetings and offices).

• posted by PlumpGoose
    on

Thanks so much 🙂

• posted by RubyG
    on

Weigh-in today:
    Hubby – 16st 3.0lb
    Me – 11st 7.0lb
    Again, I have found what he has lost, but I’m sort-of maintaining around this mark at the moment, without giving my food choices too much thought, so I’m happy with that for now.
    We’d both like to get into the next stone down, which will put us in a weight bracket last seen in our 20’s, when we were young and active and super-fit.
    We’re coming up to 10 months on this way of eating, and both agree that we never want to go back to the weight we were, along with the associated health issues which had started manifesting themselves.
    Keeping on keeping on!

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi RubyG, dont worry about the staying the same (or a bit more) things will move again. You could start to weigh and measure and log what you are eating. Sometimes we think we can tell by eyeing the food but it can creep up. Might just get you moving again. I am saying that from a place of understanding because that is exactly what I should do for a couple of weeks.

I love it that you are really enthusiastic about this way of eating and going to stick with it and all the associated health benefits you have both seen. Can you keep shouting out about it on the other thread to help newbies understand how good this is for us.

• posted by RubyG
    on

Weigh-in today:
    Hubby – 16st 7.4lb
    Me – 11st 8.0lb
    As expected, we’ve both gained over the weekend, but we’re on track for a decent week. Hubby is travelling for work today, on an actual train! Neither of us is terribly happy about that, but he has his BSD-friendly packed lunch, so that’s one thing that’s good.
    And I just ordered him pair of work trousers in a size 34, as even his 36s bought in the past couple of months are requiring a belt to maintain decency now.
    ODAAT!

• posted by WindyJulz
    on

You guys are doing great RubyG. I do like your updates and honesty! Interestingly, what seems to be your ‘comfy maintaining’ weight is pretty close to where my body settled….. I’m still keen to make more headway but for the moment I have other priorities and am happy to sit at this maintenance level a little longer.
    oddly delighted for you that this lifestyle is requiring investment in new trousers etc, great visual progress!

• posted by RubyG
    on

Thanks Julz,
    I’d prefer to be maintaining at 10st something, and that’ll probably be the next big push to get down to that level, and then try to maintain there for a while. When I did WW many years ago (and I know the way of eating is not comparable), I got down to about 10 and a half stone, but very quickly shot back into the 11s, maintained at around 12st for ages and then started creeping back up, to 14st last year sometime. So for now, maintaining at about 11 and a half stone is good for me, but I would like to lose a bit more.

• posted by WindyJulz
    on

I’m the same RubyG. Though i dont think i have seen 10st anything my entire adult lift. It would be a massive miles stone for me. When the mindset is right i I’m ready to go all in for a few months I’m gonna get it done and see it. Closest ive been is 11st 2.
    I have all the faith in the world you can get there and maintain it! All the right learnings are in place.

• posted by freester
    on

Don’t beat yourself up.

I had a takeout curry the other night (a rare treat these days used to eat a restaurant curry regularly). I try and make the right choices – no rice or naan, 1/2 popadom coz you can’t NOT have a popadom right? For me it was a curry main, some chickpea bhaji, spinach paneer.

But I went a bit crazy finished my first plate and went back for a 2nd. I’ve NEVER done that since finding this way of eating. My first real regression into my old habits. Bang nearly 4 pounds on overnight. I’ve no worries I’ll lose it though. 10 months in you’re doing well.

It’s all just a reminder to keep your discipline (that’s what I’m telling myself).

• posted by RubyG
    on

Thanks for the encouragement both!
    It’s so annoying how quickly it goes on versus how much effort it takes to lose, but twice-weekly weighing should mean that we don’t wake up one day to find ourselves back in the morbidly obese range (we are both teetering on the brink between overweight and obese, BMI 30.x).
    It is harder now that life is opening up again, though, and we are able to go out, eat out, travel, and vigilance is definitely required.

Anyway, hubby has his packed lunch of crustless mini-quiches with chicken, spinach and feta, a couple of slices of cheese, some cherry tomatoes and two (I may have overcatered here) squares of 95% chocolate, plus 500ml fizzy water. That should prevent the railway station sub or pasty + chocolate bar + bottle of coke grab on the way home.

on

Ruby I know it is hard when just a small treat causes a gain and I think, although this diet doesnt upset the metabolism, it does mean the body is used to so much less so just a small amount makes a difference. Plus if you have gone for a carb your body will hold onto water to deal with it. What you also know is that just getting straight back on it can bring instant results. I gained 1 pound over the weekend and have lost most of that in just one day and hope it is all gone by tomorrow. Okay that is a step back and a step forward but it is better than the alternative. Keep on keeping on…

• posted by Jagdevps
    on

Well done for starting. I’m into my 3rd week and today my morning sugars were 4.9 and two hours after lunch 5.8. This diet is amazing. My appetite is in control and I feel fabulous. Its not the easiest diet to stick to and I had headaches the first week and had to stop myself from snacking. however now that I am 3 Weeks in I’ve never felt better and have lost over half a stone already. can’t wait to see what the end result after 8 weeks will be.

on

Hi japdevps, Well done with the numbers, 4.9 is 90 on my scale so that is great and the weight loss. See you are 10 years diagnosed. Are you on any meds. We run a weekly thread called …week commencing – and are currently on 10th August. I would be nice if you popped by to say hi. There is a mix of stages on there, newbies or oldies like me. I have been diagnosed 15 going on 16 years and still managing to reduce all my meds and currently trying to dump the injections. Slowly, slowly.

on

Its called One Week At A Time Starting……. and the Tuesday date.

• posted by RubyG
    on

Weigh-in from Friday:
    Hubby – 16st 5.2lb
    Me – 11st 9.6lb
    Somehow I have managed to consistently gain about half a pound per day over the past week, weighed-in at 11st 10.0lb this morning, which is my heaviest for a long time (early June-ish).
    I loosely tracked intake last week, have kept carbs low, maybe not drunk enough water, and have had a few days of constipation, so feeling a big bleh.
    I have taken some psyllium husk this morning in a drink, so we’ll see if that helps on the constipation front, which is a new problem for me.
    Anyway, can’t let the gains derail me, that’ll only make it worse.
    Head down and hope for a better week.

on

Dont worry, you will get a whoosh some time soon, especially when the husk kicks in.

• posted by RubyG
    on

Yes, that’s what I’m worrying about now 🙂

• posted by RubyG
    on

I haven’t posted on here for a couple of weeks, but we are still weighing twice a week and still more or less maintaining.

We have been away a bit, and away from home again this week, and the scales here have always been a bit iffy, but this morning they read 10st something, which I would love to believe but in reality I know they are incorrect as I have not lost half a stone in 4 days!
    We were out and about on Sunday, and the only option available for lunch was a sandwich or a toasted sandwich – we chose the latter on wholemeal, so 2 slices of toast each, and within an hour hubby was ravenous! The rest of our meals away are self-catered so we can and do follow the WOE.
    It looks like hubby may not have his annual blood tests as expected, as the UK has a shortage of collection tubes, and non-urgent tests are being postponed. His GP is aware of his weight loss and progress, but it would be nice to know what his HbA1C is now.
    Keeping on keeping on though.

• posted by RubyG
    on

We haven’t weighed again this week, the scales here are so inaccurate it’s a waste of time, but I am feeling like I’ve gained, portion sizes and snacks are probably to blame as the sea air or something has made me want to eat everything in sight. I know I can’t be trusted with nuts or too many nice cheeses, one day I may actually learn 🙂
    Anyway, back home next week, reset time and maybe a couple of days of no breakfast and a 16:8 TRE will do the trick.
    ODAAT!

• posted by Igglyboo
    on

Hello, I hope you don’t mind me gate crashing this thread. You all seem very experienced and knowledgeable and I’m hoping this is somewhere I can ask questions. I started the BSD two days ago. Today is my 3rd day. I had a splitting headache yesterday but it’s gone this morning. I have about 17kg to lose from starting and according to the scales I’m already 2kg lighter in just two days! I know this is probably fluid (though my fitbit reckons I have a 4350 calorie deficit over the two days), but still, it’s a revelation to me because usually I lose nothing at all for a couple of weeks after ‘being good’ despite having around a 1000 calorie deficit a day. The energy in, energy out approach just doesn’t seem to work! Losing any weight at all is so slow and such hard work that I always give up after a couple of months and it always goes straight back on with a little more added 🙁

I have reduced my calories many times before, but this is the first time I’ve ever cut back on carbohydrates and actually weighed and accurately counted fruit and vegetables. I haven’t checked my blood sugar levels, but I’m pretty sure that I was in the pre-diabetes range based on how I was feeling. I’m trying to do all my own food prep as well as feed everyone else and I’m hopeless at planning and following recipes, so it’s hard! I’m trying to restrict my carbs to less than 40g a day. Does that sound realistic? I am vegetarian so this is a bit of a challenge! I’ve ordered some of the shakes for when the food prep gets a bit overwhelming. Any advice / tips / positive stories on sticking with it would be very much appreciated..

on

Hi there Igglyboo, if you want to join a thread that takes in all sorts of people, newbies, oldies, 5:2, Fast800, BSD800 and so on we are all generally on a thread called One Week at a Time Beginning ……. the rest being the date – we usually have a new start every Tuesday. All welcome and you are more likely to get a range of help and advice there.

Just to pick up on a few things you asked. First of all congratulations on losing 2kgs in 2 days. You are right, a lot of that is fluid and the secret is that carbs suck up fluids like a sponge and hang onto it. However, you will continue to lose at a good rate. You can forget all about calorie deficits and calories in and energy calories out. As you hinted at, it is a load of rubbish and old thinking. We have 800 calories, if you eat 700 you dont get to save 100 and keep adding them on for a big splurge at the weekend (sounds like WW or SW). You eat 800 no matter how much exercise you put in so no compensating on calories burnt. It doesnt work and never has so if it hasnt worked in the past dont try to incorporate other diets into this way of doing things. Having said that you are entitled to do whatever combination suits you but you can see it is working so why change.

Unless you have had a full blood test (HbA1c) or you have a very accurate finger prick machine you cannot know you are pre-diabetic. Maybe talk to your doctor about testing if you are worried. If you do happen to be then this diet will kick those numbers down into normal range in no time. You are right to weigh and measure everything at first as it is easy to underestimate. Also 40g of carbs is a great start. I am diabetic and have never really got under 50g except for on occasional days. You are doing well so dont worry. Pop over and join us at the weekly thread and you will get loads of support.

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Igglyboo,
    Welcome to the forum.

There are a few basic facts that will help to guide you. The energy in / energy out model does not work because our bodies do not count calories. Our bodies have a processes for responding to carbs, protein and fat.

Our bodies need to store water to help process carbs as fuel, when you reduce the carbs that water is released, causing the rapid weight loss at the start. Do not expect the high rates of weight loss to continue. – If you step off the waggon and have carbs your body will hold on to water again to help process them.

In the long term weight is not the best way to measure progress. Its one of the ways, but you also need to monitor for inch loss. – As our bodies start to heal from a high sugar diet it starts to build denser bones and stronger muscles. That’s all good but of course both weigh more, so you may feel dispirited if you only focus on the reading on the scales rather than changes in your body. But if you are at the start of your journey taking lots of measurements so you can see your progress can be helpful. Not just the usual, of bust, waist, hips. Our bodies tend to discard weight from other areas first. Many discard a shoe size, or rediscover their collar bones before they see any change in their waist or hips.

• posted by RubyG
    on

Weigh-in today:
    Hubby – 16st 5.0lb
    Me – 11st 8.4lb
    So not a catastrophic gain last week while we were away, but we can’t be complacent.
    Yesterday was a good day with no snacks, decent hydration, low carb and smaller portion sizes again, more-or-less tracked on MFP.
    Today is planned to be OK.
    On a positive note, we have both had to buy new work clothes as we head back into the office more, and both bought new long, wool overcoats for winter as our others are a bit sack-like!

• posted by Igglyboo
    on

Thank you for your responses – I found them really helpful. I will head over to the other thread after this, but I just wanted to respond to some of what you said first. Sunshine Girl, thank you for your point about saving up calories, I hadn’t thought it through, but it seems completely right to me based on my own personal experience of how my body feels after eating, and how my weight has fluctuated over years. JGwen, the idea that our bodies do not count calories is a bit of a revelation to me. During a science experiment at school I remember wondering how people could be so certain that the energy generated by a substance when it is burned equates to the energy our bodies extract from food, but I’ve rarely thought about it since. My husband is a scientist and gets annoyed with me for suggesting that the energy in energy out model doesn’t work because he says I’m contravening the first law of thermodynamics. Your point about processes is really useful – I’ll have a few more points to make next time the debate comes up!

on

Igglyboo, tell your husband that our bodies are not mechanically precise so the thermodynamic argument doesnt stand up. As a starting point watch Dr Pilcher onThermodynamic Theory of Weight Loss – The Rest of The Story on YouTube. There are also other things in play, like in my case, diabetes and insulin injections. No matter how much energy I expend, as I am injecting insulin which creates fat storage bags which my body cant let go of, I wont lose weight. Anyway that is a whole different story but hope you can get your husband on board with the principles of this diet as it will really do you good.

• posted by RubyG
    on

Weigh-in today:
    Hubby – 16st 3.4lb
    Me – 11st 8.0lb
    A loss for us both over the week. We have had a decent week of more mindful eating, less snacking and an eye on portion sizes.
    I’m in the office today, saw a colleague for the first time in 18 months and was called “skinny” – if felt good!
    ODAAT!

• posted by RubyG
    on

Weigh-in Fri 17th:
    Hubby – 16st 2.0lb
    Me – 11st 8.0lb
    So a good week overall.

Weigh-in today:
    Hubby – 16st 4.2lb
    Me – 11st 10.0lb
    A 2lb weekend away 🙂 – a (yes, one) new potato may have been consumed, plus cider and sloe gin 😉 but otherwise low carb with no calorie counting, and no milk kefir bug top-up.
    Veg soup for lunch yesterday and today, gut biome is being fed again, and a decent menu planned for the week.

Next month will be 1 year since we started this, and it still feels amazing, but is now costing us money with having to buy new clothes for winter, as even hubby’s “small” clothes which he didn’t fit into when we started are now hanging off him. He is down from a size 46″ waist to a 36″ (and a few 34″ depending on source and cut).

• posted by freester
    on

Nice work and well done. Like you guys I also had that expense. It’s not a bad way to spend money.
    I actually had some brand new clothes with labels still on, as well as some hardly worn stuff. That all went on Ebay…

• posted by RubyG
    on

Thanks freester.
    We have bought a lot of mainstream stuff from a very good local charity shop, which has saved us loads, but more specialist coats and outdoor clothing has been bought new. He is so chuffed that he can order a M&S 36 waist and the trousers fit perfectly.
    Larger sizes (some also with tags or barely worn) will be donated back to the same charity shop – circular economy 🙂

• posted by Eumedes
    on

I’ll take a note.

• posted by RubyG
    on

Weigh-in today:
    Hubby – 16st 0.8lb
    Me – 11st 8.4lb
    A decent week then 🙂

• posted by RubyG
    on

A sneaky peek on the scales shows the usual uptick after a weekend, but……..
    We have both had to buy new trousers for winter outdoor activities, and I was up in the loft yesterday, fitting into clothes which I wore at my lightest more than 10 years ago (yes, I know, I kept those clothes just in case).
    I also tried on and fitted into (and the zip did up fully) MY WEDDING DRESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Last worn in 1989 🙂
    Tomorrow is official weigh-day, I’m hoping to have shed some of the weekend’s excess by then.
    Onward and downward!

• posted by RubyG
    on

Weigh-in today:
    Hubby – 16st 0.2lb
    Me – 11st 9.2lb
    A slight gain for me from last week,but less than I weighed earlier in the week 😉
    Nothing remarkable to report, just keeping on keeping on, and in a few weeks it’ll be one year since starting this WOE!

on

RubyG, I bet you have seen a lot of changes in both you and your husband in the past year. Not just weight related so dont dwell on that. I bet your whole outlook on life is different and how you feel about yourselves. Keep on…….

• posted by RubyG
    on

Weigh-in this morning
    Hubby – 16st 6.4lb
    Me – 11st 12.6lb
    Not good numbers, and reading back it’s largely the same reason for previous gains – portion sizes, cheese and nuts as snacks between meals.
    While I have learned the lessons, I’m still not very good at applying them – I know I fare better with no between-meal snacking, so why do I do it?
    I’m not going to beat myself up though, I can only look forward and lose the recently-acquired baggage.
    Keeping on keeping on as SG would say, as we head to our 1 year anniversary on this WOE.

• posted by WindyJulz
    on

I can empathise, I think its quite common after a long while on a WOE; generally we have forged new habits and adapted well but struggle for the motivation to to stay strict and new little habits sneak in – wee snacks, bigger portions, on plan puddings…… you are not alone! But isnt it great that you can have a week or 2 more relaxed, basically maintain, recognise where you could be better, understand the learnings and then move on when you are ready!
    What a good year you have had though, good discard, still here, still accountable and still keeping on! Go you!!

• posted by RubyG
    on

Thanks for the support.
    I read all the way back through this post, to remind myself how far I have come and stop beating myself up.
    I also felt determined yesterday, and had a busy but not stressy day in virtual meetings all day, so did a 24hr fast and OMAD yesterday, with a smaller portion for supper last night.
    I don’t fast often, but really felt my body needed a reset.
    It has helped, I have felt better again today and managed to avoid any snacking, with my trusty water bottle by my side.

on

It is a really good thing to look back at where we started. Remember my blog from 5 years ago when I was at my wits end with my diabetes. As WindyJulz says it isnt easy to stay motivated but, as was shown with your hubbys pizza dilemma, we have learnt something and know how to take care of our bodies even if there a times when it seems you are standing still or even going backwards with small gains. As I said on the weekly thread, gained 2kgs whilst away but I know that I just need to knuckle down and I will be back down and then surging forward to the ‘C’ word with a new goal in mind and renewed motivation. Keep on keeping on – you can do it.

on

Thats (Christmas)

• posted by RubyG
    on

It’s our one-year anniversary on this WOE!
    And what a year it has been, we both feel so much better for it and don’t want to go back to where we were.
    Weigh-in today:
    Hubby – 15st 13.2lb
    Me – 11st 12.2lb
    My focus has gone walkabout recently, so the plan for the next 8 weeks is to replicate our first 8 weeks a year ago and see where that leaves us for Christmas 2021.
    ODAAT!

• posted by RubyG
    on

Weigh-in today:
    Hubby – 15st 10.4lb
    Me – 11st 7.6lb
    A good week of focus and back to basics – good water intake, no snacks between meals, 3 meals a day of low cal, low carb and appropriate portion sizes.

Please log in or register to post a reply.