New, starting BSD TODAY!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by RubyG
    on

Weigh-in today:
    Hubby -18st 2.2lb
    Me – 12st 2.6lb
    So a small gain for us both (his first gain other than Christmas), portion sizes have been creeping up, so I’m back to tracking everything on MFP again.
    Our new clothes that we have ordered in smaller sizes are fitting nicely, though, so that’s a good non-scale victory.
    ODAAT!

• posted by freester
    on

Well done!

• posted by RubyG
    on

Weigh-in today:
    Hubby -17st 12.8lb
    Me – 12st 0.4lb
    So a decent, steady loss week-on-week since last Friday, even though we both gained a bit over last weekend. I think we’re both comfortable with checking-in on a Tuesday and seeing a loss on a Friday.
    I’m on track to be in the next stone down by Easter, and he has already achieved that goal. His new aggressive goal is 17st by Easter, which I think may be a bit ambitious, but anything downward is an achievement.

• posted by freester
    on

OK good work. A bit of self disclosure here. Hopefully to give you a bit of encouragement. I keep records of my Weight / BP and had a look yesterday.

I started maintenance about a year ago. I was 15 stone 7 lbs. I initially started 5:2 but didn’t do that for long and just stuck to the principles after that. Through the summer my weight very gradually kept going down. 2-3lbs a month until Oct / Nov when I levelled out around 14:2. This coincided with a minor medical procedure where I stopped cycling for 2 months. Weight stayed level, maybe went down a little to 14:0, even over Xmas where I was quite disciplined.

Then in the New Year I noticed my weight creeping up slightly. Levelling around 14:4, my BP crept up a couple of points as well. Wasn’t eating or boozing any more than usual. I got to the point where I was allowed / able to cycle again it was damn icy and I don’t mind cold but I don’t do slippery! So I’ve only really got back on the bike the last 3-4 weeks. And low and behold my BP has crept back down and now I’m having to eat more to stop my weight dropping below 14stone.

So I think what I’m trying to say is in my experience, not only is there the immediate, calories in vs calories out thing. But there’s also a longer metabolism thing that seems to affect the longer term trends.

Not sure if I’m making sense but stick with it. You guys have done well…

• posted by RubyG
    on

Thanks Freester, your encouragement is much appreciated. You’ve done so well, inspirational!
    Today I charted his weight loss and he’s lost 50lb! That is a huge achievement, and no, he won’t be celebrating with a bottle of anything 🙂
    Neither of us has been particularly active over the winter, although he is worse than me – I seem to be able to do 4000 steps in a day just bimbling about the house.
    As the weather improves, he will want to get out on his motorbike, he’ll need some strength and agility for that activity anyway, and he’s got other garden and vehicle projects which will get him up and moving and lifting and generally working hard over the next few months. He also refurbished his bicycle over the winter, so that may get an outing one day too 😉
    He is feeling so much better health-wise and wants to maintain that, and it’s easier that we’re both trying to follow the same way of eating.
    I think we’re both looking forward to an active spring and summer working on our various projects, and being able to move about the country again.

• posted by freester
    on

One final word now we are getting some sunny weather. Barbecues. I can’t wait. Last summer was the realisation that a barbecue isn’t just about sausages and burgers between bread. I can’t wait!

• posted by RubyG
    on

I am a Southern Hemisphere import into the UK, I’ve never thought BBQ was sausages and burgers in between bread 😉
    But yes, I am looking forward to BBQ and salads, what’s not to like about this way of eating?
    Tuna salad for lunch today, after 4 days of soup Monday to Thursday this week.

• posted by Blind Mango Patterson
    on

People recommend MyFItnessPal as a good app to track food & exercise which it is. However, when I tell it what I have eaten, it tells me I have not eaten enough & will not save the diary. Has anyone else had this problem ? If so, how did you get around it ?

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Blind Mango Patterson

MyFatSecret is a better app, – It doesn’t include fibre in the carb calculations and doesn’t nag about how many calories you have to eat.

• posted by RubyG
    on

Weigh-in today:
    Hubby -17st 13.2lb (+0.4lb since Friday)
    Me – 12st 1.2lb (+0.8lb since Friday)
    Again, a small gain over the weekend, where we are increasing the cals and not tracking, but staying low carb. The plan is to show a week-on-week loss every Friday weigh-in, and follow a reverse 5:2.
    Keeping on keeping on.

• posted by RubyG
    on

Weigh-in today:
    Hubby -17st 10.6lb (-2.2lb since last Friday)
    Me – 11st 13.8lb (-0.6lb since last Friday)
    Those numbers were completely unexpected as we both felt we’d had a bad week since our last weigh-in Tuesday morning.
    I have finally dropped into the 11st-something, a number last seen in 2016! Now I don’t want to mess it up over the weekend, so I’ll have to keep an eye on my cals this weekend.

• posted by RubyG
    on

Weigh-in today:
    Hubby -17st 10.4lb
    Me – 12st 1.0lb
    So he has shown a small loss since Friday and I have a bit of a gain, which I have come to expect over a weekend, so I’m not going to stress. Although I didn’t want to see 12st again, realistically 11st 13.8lb going into the weekend wasn’t enough leeway 🙂
    The week is on track so far, everything tracked in MFP yesterday and came in on 800cals, today is on track to be good too.
    ODAAT!

• posted by RubyG
    on

Weigh-in today:
    Hubby -17st 9.6lb
    Me – 11st 11.8lb
    A week-on-week loss for us both again (I am accepting my Tuesday small gains), even though I think we could have been more focused this week.
    Fish and chips (celeriac) for supper again tonight – last week’s fish supper went down very well, so tonight we have a fillet of sea bass each.
    Keeping on keeping on.

• posted by WindyJulz
    on

Just looked back to your first post RubyG – you have done and are doing so amazingly well!!
    Your fish n chips sound great too!!
    Well earned!!
    xx

• posted by RubyG
    on

Thank you!

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Oh Ruby I dont think I told you about my mushy pea disaster last week. Soaked the peas in bicarb but only for about 6 or 7 hours. Rinsed and put them in a pan of water but I think I drowned them as they just kept disappearing into the water. I ended up with pea soup which tasted vile and had to be poured down the loo. We ended up having frozen garden peas mashed with a bit of butter and mint sauce. Do you make your own mushy peas and can you tell me what I am doing wrong. We are having fish again tonight but without the mushy peas.

Keep doing what you and your hubby have been and enjoy the good health you are now both experiencing. I think my hubby might be on a stricter plan after he sees the doctor 🙂

• posted by Riverrock
    on

Hi All,
    I am starting tomorrow too. I have {for starters} 16lbs to lose, good luck to everyone and it,s great reading the posts.

• posted by RubyG
    on

Weigh-in today:
    Hubby -17st 10.0lb
    Me – 11st 13.0lb
    So we both had a weekend gain, which is becoming the norm, but with a good few weekdays we can pull that back and show a loss again on Friday.
    However, I had my vaccine first dose yesterday and feel rubbish today, but it will pass and then I can focus on the eating plan again.

• posted by WindyJulz
    on

And you are down 2lbs from last Tuesday – you are doing brilliantly! Being able to enjoy your weekends with a bit more freedom will help you make this sustainable!

• posted by RubyG
    on

Thanks WindyJulz, we try to stay low-carb over the weekend but up the calories. Although this weekend, I have to confess a totally planned deviation – hubby bakes a really good wholemeal sourdough, probably the reason for his pre-diabetes diagnosis after eating it twice a day for the first 6 months after lockdown 1. We now allow ourselves 1 slice of toast a week, sometimes 2, on a weekend, so a loaf is sliced and frozen and lasts 2 months! He baked on Saturday morning, and we had a bacon and egg sandwich on hot bread for breakfast – I do have to admit it was amazing! Much better than the Jersey Royal potatoes we had last week. We switched straight back to low carb for the rest of the weekend to limit the damage 🙂

• posted by RubyG
    on

Weigh-in today:
    Hubby -17st 8.6lb
    Me – 11st 11.2lb
    So we’ve both shed the weekend gain and show a Friday-to-Friday loss, which is kind-of how we want this to work longer term.
    Keeping on keeping on!

• posted by RubyG
    on

Weigh-in today:
    Hubby -17st 8.8lb
    Me – 11st 12.4lb
    So again a small gain since Friday, but still down week-on-week from last Tuesday, and on plan to be down again week-on-week for Friday.
    This is doing a reverse 5:2, 5 days of close to 800cals and low carbs, and higher cals over the weekend (which is sometimes Friday to Sunday so 3 days higher cals).

• posted by RubyG
    on

Weigh-in Friday:
    Hubby -17st 7.0lb
    Me – 11st 10.8lb
    Weigh-in today:
    Hubby -17st 7.6lb
    Me – 11st 13.0lb
    No tracking over the 4-day weekend, water intake was sporadic, meal times were irregular, there was a small amount of alcohol and carbs consumed – some Gujarati savoury polenta cake from a friend, and a cracker with pate, and portion sizes generally were bigger than they should have been.
    Tracking again today, scrambled eggs and mushrooms for breakfast, Asian-style chicken broth for lunch, and fish pie for supper – plan to show a Friday-to-Friday loss again this week.
    ODAAT!

• posted by RubyG
    on

Weigh-in today:
    Hubby – 17st 4.2lb
    Me – 11st 9.2lb
    Who knew – this diet actually works when you follow it 🙂
    I am pleased to announce that the Easter detour is back on track and we are both down week-on-week again, after a very disciplined 800cals and <30g carbs for the past 3 days.
    The weekend menu plan hasn’t been finalised, but I bought some fresh mussels for tonight, and we’ll probably have steak (onglet) and salad on Saturday night.
    Saturday morning we have our one slice per week of wholemeal sourdough with poached egg, and Sunday morning we have a full English (bacon, eggs, tomatoes and mushrooms, sometimes a piece of black or white pudding or a lamb’s kidney for hubby) – we have done this since starting the BSD in Oct 2020 and so far so good.

• posted by RubyG
    on

Weigh-in today:
    Hubby – 17st 3.6lb
    Me – 11st 10.0lb
    So, a small loss for him and a small gain for me – Friday week-on-week will be a loss again – she says with determination!
    I don’t track or measure anything on a weekend, which may run 3 days from Friday through Sunday, and we aim to keep low carb but increase the cals. Saturday we did have carbs at all 3 meals though – our one allowable slice of wholemeal sourdough with poached egg for breakfast, a Scotch egg each for lunch, and 3 Jersey Royals each with supper – compared to the pre-BSD that is almost nothing, but not to be a frequent occurrence.
    ODAAT!

• posted by RubyG
    on

Weigh-in on Friday last week was the same as the previous Tuesday:
    Hubby – 17st 3.6lb
    Me – 11st 10.0lb
    Tomorrow we will be weighing on different scales as we are away from home for the week, but we’ve been keeping the low carb theme going OK so far, although not drinking enough water, so the water bottle is loaded and next to me as I type.
    ODAAT!

• posted by RubyG
    on

Weigh-in this morning on the different scales and while away from home since Saturday:
    Hubby – 17st 3.0lb
    Me – 11st 10.0lb
    So he has a small loss and I have maintained, which is perfectly acceptable.
    The weather here in the UK is pleasant this week, so suppers have been mostly steak and salads, with a trip to the fishmonger planned for tomorrow.
    Water intake has gone back up to where it should be too.
    ODAAT!

• posted by RubyG
    on

I didn’t log the weigh-in last Friday, but it was:
    Hubby – 17st 3.0 lb (I think, he kept getting on and off the scales with different readings, so this is estimated average)
    Me – 11st 11.0lb
    Too much cheese has been consumed 🙂
    Anyway, today, back home and familiar scales, better routine, and the results are in:
    Hubby – 17st 4.8lb (maybe that beer on Friday night?)
    Me – 11st 10.8lb
    Oddly, we can both feel the little bit extra we are carrying, which is a good sign, and both committed to not let a small gain turn into a bigger one, which is how we will need to think in order to maintain at some point.
    ODAAT!

• posted by RubyG
    on

Weigh-in today:
    Hubby – 17st 2.0lb
    Me – 11st 10.0lb
    So we have both shed our small gain over the past few days.
    ODAAT!

• posted by RubyG
    on

Weigh-in today:
    Hubby – 17st 4.0lb
    Me – 11st 11.4lb
    A bit of a gain for us both, and we have not had a bad few days re. food, but work stress levels are pretty high for us both at the moment, but as long as we keep our eye on the weight and focus where and when we can, it’ll drop again.
    I seem to have been losing and finding the same 2 lb for about 5 weeks now, which I seem to recall I did about the 12 and a half stone mark too, so I’m going to try to mix it up a bit and kickstart the losses again.
    The Fast 800 and Clever Guts books are due for delivery today.
    I did 16:8-ish TRE yesterday, by having my first meal at about 12h30 and then supper, and I felt good for it. Today will be 3 meals at 800cals and <50g carbs, and I need to work my revived milk kefir into my daily allowance and start drinking it daily again.
    ODAAT!

• posted by RubyG
    on

Weigh-in today:
    Hubby – 17st 4.0lb
    Me – 11st 10.2lb
    His comment to me this morning “I’ve stalled!”
    I am still messing about with the same 2 lbs and he is a bit stuck, which is not the end of the world.
    Started reading the Clever Guts book, which is helping to understand things a bit better, so we will just keep on keeping on as sunshine-girl would say.

• posted by RubyG
    on

Weigh-in today:
    Hubby – 17st 1.4lb
    Me – 11st 13.2lb
    So the nearly 3lb hubby has shed, I seem to have found, which is not good, and no particular reason in what I ate over the weekend.
    I’m hoping it’s a blip on the scales but have planned a few days of focus and tracking (after saying I was tired of counting cals).
    ODAAT!

• posted by RubyG
    on

Weigh-in today:
    Hubby – 17st 1.2lb
    Me – 11st 9.2lb
    Hubby is surprised not to have gained this week, he has had little sleep, long stressy hours and eaten everything in sight, which to be fair has been low carb so no damage was done.
    I had a few days of focusing on gut health, properly counting cals again and a 16:8 TRE yesterday, all of which have paid off on the scales.
    ODAAT!

• posted by RubyG
    on

Weigh-in today:
    Hubby – 16st 12.8lb
    Me – 11st 8.4lb
    So a good week for us both, and even though we are celebrating Christmas this week with a houseguest, we are keeping lowcarb.

on

Hi Ruby and hubby. Just looking back at your first post and I am sure you do too. You should both be so proud of yourselves, what great weight loss. Keep it up and good health to you both.

• posted by RubyG
    on

Thank you SG, the forum has been a huge help in keeping us close to, if not always fully on, the track.

• posted by RubyG
    on

Weigh-in from Friday 21st:
    Hubby – 16st 12.6lb
    Me – 11st 8.2lb
    That is after 4 days of a houseguest, a little bit of alcohol, no counting cals but sticking to our low carb and no snacks, with fermented foods included in at least 1 meal per day.
    Tomorrow’s weigh-in may not be as good, as the cals were quite high this past weekend, but we know how to focus again and get back on track.
    Onwards and downwards!

• posted by RubyG
    on

Weigh-in this morning:
    Hubby – 17st 0.0lb
    Me – 11st 9.4lb
    As expected, we’re both up a bit on last week, some of which may be the undigested rather large portion of melanzane we had for supper last night!
    Onwards and downwards, we know what we need to do 🙂

• posted by RubyG
    on

Weigh-in this morning:
    Hubby – 16st 13.2lb
    Me – 11st 9.2lb
    So a small loss since Tuesday but still slightly up on last week – why does a gain happen at least twice as quickly as a loss? To be fair, we have not had a strict 800cal week, stressy work and long days (for me this time, not him), but not showing a gain is a win!
    ODAAT!

• posted by RubyG
    on

Weigh-in this morning:
    Hubby – Maybe stayed the same, we are away again and using different scales and I think they jump about a bit
    Me – 11st 9.2lb – I do seem to have stayed the same, which is OK
    We are away from home this week, so we are also getting in a daily walk on the beach and still keeping the low carb WOE. Summer seems to have arrived in England!

• posted by RubyG
    on

Weigh-in this morning:
    Hubby – 16st 13.0lb
    Me – 11st 9.0lb
    A small loss while away from home for the week, not actively tracking, but keeping to the WOE without thinking about it as much. We both want to have a focus week next week of 800cals to push the losses again before the end of the month and before we’re off on 2 weeks annual leave in July.

• posted by RubyG
    on

Weigh-in this morning:
    Hubby – 16st 13.6lb
    Me – 11st 10.4lb
    The usual weekend gain, I blame the cheese 🙂

• posted by RubyG
    on

Weigh-in from Friday last week:
    Hubby – 16st 11.2lb
    Me – 11st 9.0lb
    Sort-of maintaining, not tracking anything so a decent result.
    We both want to push for a working week of 800cals starting on Monday, to get into the bottom half of the current stone by the end of the month, which should be do-able.

• posted by RubyG
    on

Weigh-in this morning
    Hubby – 16st 11.8lb
    Me – 11st 9.0lb
    Yesterday we came in under 800cals and 20g carbs (I aim for under 50g carbs generally), so hoping for a drop on the scales by Friday. I am feeling leaner this morning, even if the scales didn’t agree 🙂

on

Well done Ruby and hubby, just maintaining in these times is hard. I keep hearing people saying they have put on weight – I mean people on the telly like Lorraine. Well we have bucked that trend throughout lockdown and should be proud of ourselves.

You say you feel leaner. I posted yesterday that I have suddenly gone down 2 dress sizes from 16 to 12, yet I havent really lost much more weight. Probably body shifting around plus exercise. Keep on keeping on…

• posted by RubyG
    on

I had a sneaky peek on the scales this morning:
    11st 7.4lb 🙂
    Thanks for the encouragement SG, I do need to try on some of my other trousers, as I’ve now got used to hiking in the belt or the ties on the ones I’m wearing 😉
    We’ve had 2 good days of 800cals / 20g carbs, no snacks, and sufficient water and it’s working, as expected.

• posted by RubyG
    on

Weigh-in this morning
    Hubby – 16st 8.6lb
    Me – 11st 6.8lb
    It’s good to see our bodies have responded well to 5 days of focused 800cals and low carb, with no mid-meal snacks.
    Now it’s the challenge not to undo those wins over the weekend!

• posted by RubyG
    on

Weigh-in this morning
    Hubby – 16st 7.8lb
    Me – 11st 7.8lb
    The usual weekend small gain, too many calories and some alcohol consumed, but not catastrophic, and the week is on track.

• posted by RubyG
    on

Weigh-in this morning
    Hubby – 16st 7.0lb
    Me – 11st 6.8lb
    So a decent week again, no active tracking of what we’ve eaten.
    We have a day out tomorrow, so I’ll be making crustless quiches and picky things, all low carb.
    Keeping on keeping on!

• posted by RubyG
    on

Weigh-in this morning
    Hubby – 16st 8.0lb
    Me – 11st 7.4lb
    Sort-of kicking about the same weight as last week, which we’re happy with. We’ll have a few days of tracking and 800cals until Friday, then we’re away on holiday for 9 days, which will include meals out, so that’ll be a learning experience, just need to keep the carbs low and let the cals do their own thing and we should be OK.

Please log in or register to post a reply.